Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a New Rig, Please Review Technophyles

Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501

Hey all!

Take a look here and see if there is anything that will not work with each other.  This is my first PCIE mobo assembly, so I want to make sure the HD will work and other items too.

Also, I noticed that this board claims to have "High Def" audio.  Are sound cards obsolete now?  I have used Audigy 2 cards for a while, will that even make a difference now?

Also, with the Video card, I am currently using an Nvidia 7800 AGP 512MB card, will I notice the difference with a PCIE card?  Will the quad core a 4 gigs of ram help the GPU moreso than my P4 3.0ghz processor and 2 gigs of RAM?

Sorry for all of the questions, and thank you in advance.

Comments

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

Well, the 8600GT will not beat your 7800 (look at blue bars - www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html)

When gaming, it is important to note that your graphics card will be the main bottleneck, not the processor. So getting a dual core to save some money and purchasing a better graphics card is a better choice. You cannot use your 7800 because its AGP and PCI-E isn't backwards compatible with AGP. Look into the 3850, 3870, or 8800GT (priced about 160, 210, and 240 respectively).

Second, that ram looks a little expensive. Look into this.

Another thing to note, getting a 680i motherboard means you have no upgradeability. The 680i motherboards are incompatible with the new 45nm intel processors. Thats something to keep in mind when choosing your motherboard.

Also, that hard drive is slightly outdated. Seagate has released 7200.11 hard drives that are slightly faster. This one is cheaper, faster, and has the same capacity.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501

Thank you for the reply.  I am giving my old computer to my kid so he can play WoW.

So those Vcards you mentioned will outperform my AGP 7800 then?  If so, then sweet!

Also, what is the difference between PCIE and PCIE v2? 

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

Originally posted by Dis_Ordur

Thank you for the reply.  I am giving my old computer to my kid so he can play WoW.
    So those Vcards you mentioned will outperform my AGP 7800 then?  If so, then sweet!
    Also, what is the difference between PCIE and PCIE v2? 
    Yea, all those cards will outperform the 7800.

The difference between PCIE and PCIE v2 is that PCIE v2 allows more bandwidth for the graphics card. Right now and for some time to come that won't make a difference because cards don't even take full advantage of the bandwidth for PCIE.

PCIE and PCIE v2 are backwards compatible unlike AGP and PCIE. Meaning a PCIE v2 card will be compatible with a PCIE motherboard and a PCIE card will be compatible with a PCIE v2 motherboard.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional