Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thane or Warrior

I'm just curious as to which one is more effective with a 2h weapon in RvR.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

I've not played either class, but from my recollection, Thanes are a typical hybrid class, jack of all trades, master of none.  Based on that, I'd guess a Warrior would be superior with 2 handed weapons.  (on the Albion side I've seen many an Armsman brandishing 2 handers)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SteelbeardSteelbeard Member Posts: 19

Thanks

• Munkyman1Munkyman1 Member Posts: 221

The thane is something of a caster/fighter hybrid.  And i if i recall properly, my bro played one and loved him, they do best as a two hander class.  The warrior tends to get specd as a shielder later on for the tankablilty, and the shield skills.  though the warrior can def, be a 2hander, i think u will find the thane a bit more of a 2hander, and fits in better with the lil bit of casting they do.   as i said later in game warriors seem to do better with the sword/shield.  goodluck

• SteelbeardSteelbeard Member Posts: 19

Actually, i think the Thane might be what i'm looking for.  I want to play a melee class that can deal nice damage and fight with a 2h.  I do not know if this is true, but i would guess that a melee/magic dps class could deal more damage than a sword and board class.  Thank you for the info

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Steelbeard

I played Warriors and Thanes quite a bit back in my Daoc days. I recently quit as of the whole "Free lvl 10 keep upgrades" patch they did I think around June or something of last year.

Warriors: Ultimate tanks, massive and scary melee damage if specced correctly.

-Best 2handed damage dealers, they also get specific and special stun/debuff attacks via 2handed weaponry strikes.

-Best HP and defensive abilities, and are highly resistant to spells and siege damage at 50.

Thanes: All around group oriented fighters. Several different types of AOE's to compliment group engagements. However, they lack the physical punch, and ability to take punches that warriors can. Generally seen as the caster killers because of their instantly casted DD's and PBAE's. 42shield is a thane's LIFE LINE in grouo-pvp/duels/single pvp engagements, and should NEVER be ANYWHERE without at least 42 shield.

I've always been highly preferable to Warriors, considering the versatility that I can produce through using one. Thanes, you will find, can be very hard to master in pve/pvp use unless you have friends or a regular group that rolls around fully buffed.

However, in duels a Warrior will normally always win because of their resistances to spells, and 5% plus melee resistance gained from their champion weapon, that stacks with resistances gained from items or spells.

Hope this helps :).

Short-n-sweet:

Warriors: will decimate when they get up on someone. But have no ranged abilities at all short of ML abilites later on.

Thanes: Weakened warriors with ranged abilities, more suited to fighting Ranged classes as they can interrupt them. They are also great assasin killers due to their PBAE instant shouts that can pop them from stealth, and their instant-casted ranged DD's that can keep an assasin from stealthing (unless they use vanish).

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• Munkyman1Munkyman1 Member Posts: 221

oooo thank you for clearing that up, my mains were Warlock, Valkrie, Mentalist...so hehe i was kinda tryign to remember what my bro did with his guy.  so yah sorry for feeding u wrong info man, also i think they have implemented some changes not to long ago, that really hurt some classes, may want to look into that too

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by Steelbeard

Your main advantage as a Mid was the fact that you can use both single handed weapons and two handed with one skill. (I dont know if they changed that)

You could "shield bash" as an open stunning your target then switch to 2 handed and beat'em down.

Thanes have changed a lot since I played so I can't really compare the two. They were constantly beat with the nerf bat back in my day.

Like all meleers, your main disadvantage is the lack of an effective range attack but thats why you group.

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

Thanes have been nerfed to oblivion and are better now  (if you spec) with 1 handed blunt (hammer) and shield. If you wanna get invited to groups I strongly suggest you go with a Warrior. Until, they actually do something in the way of defining exactly what a Thane's role is in a group I honestly wouldn't bother with one now.

• EranuEranu Member Posts: 191

Was just goig to agree with nergle tbh as thanes are not the best to grp with although persdonally they are alot more fun to play. I found warrior sooo boring.

Greatness is difficult to appreciate from close up. The great mountain on the horizon is only the ground when you are standing on it.