Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want an MMO to solo in. Always. Is there one?

Comments

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

Originally posted by almerel

I don't mean to sound crude but I thought one of the M's in MMO stood for Multiplayer. That being said, you should try games like Oblivion or NWN2. These games are suppose to give you the MMO feel without the multiplayer.

Almerel

Yes the M does stand for multiplayer but where does it say it stands for group or Raid player , Multiplayer just means alot of people playing at once ..

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I don't mean to sound crude but I thought one of the M's in MMO stood for Multiplayer. That being said, you should try games like Oblivion or NWN2. These games are suppose to give you the MMO feel without the multiplayer.

Almerel

Believe it or not, (and I know that this is hard for some to understand) there are many ways to enjoy other players in online games other than grouping. Grouping is one way. Some actually enjoy the hustle and bustle of a busy world. Meeting and talking to people for small amounts of time before you go on your way, perhaps trading or giving advice while you are in the nearest city.

Yup... online games. Multiple ways to play.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541

Really if you think about it MMOs for solo players are better than single player games. You have people to talk to even if you dont group. There is alot more content and a MMO is growing where as single players generally stop after a couple of expansions then devs release XXX 2 then XXX 3. So I see why people look to solo in MMOs, I prefer  that.

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

• MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

One of the real problems in the ramped nature of grouping in many mmos is that even for those who are 50% solo/50% group (which is a significant number in my opinion) they are forced to be 100% grouped at the later stages.

Someone who likes to group when possible but also doesn't want to waste time looking for a group or being forced to play with imbeciles might also enjoy a fair amount of soloing. This works fine until the later levels and then you are generally pigeonholed. In other words the core nature of the game changes. Of course there should be many things not possible (or extremely difficult) to do solo but the option to do similar, lesser activities should still be there.

Actually I find Tabula Rasa to be extremely solo friendly. Perhaps too solo friendly.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Let me jump in for my two cents about soloing.

While you *can* get solo content on a single player game, you *cannot* get the economics and crafting on a SP game.

I played WOW about 80% solo & 20% group and I like soloing. And I found that particularly when I solo, the AH has become an inseparable part of the experience. Thus, I think it is perfectly ok to play a MMORPG solo but do interact with the economy of the world.

WOW is probably the most solo friend game. While there are content you won't be able to see (RAID), you can get to max level and get very competitive items (craft epics) without ever to be in a group.

I have also tried GW but I like WOW a lot better because of its polish.

• GuintuGuintu Member UncommonPosts: 320

Cabal online which is going into OB Jan 1st is pretty soloable.  You may want to try that game.  http://cabal.ogplanet.com/main.og

• UstiltsUstilts Member Posts: 3

Why not give Runescape a shot? Its a MMORPG, however, you can solo 99% of the game, handsdown. With the exception of a couple quests, its can be done completely single player. There is plenty of content, you can play for months, even years without experencing every possible thing, which some people do not like, however I think it has plenty of advantages. Its pretty much free will, you can do whatever you want when you want to. You should atleast take a look. Feal free to contact me anytime in game, my user is Wrawth :)

• k9wazerek9wazere Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by SwampRob

Almerel

No offense taken, but I was hoping I could avoid having to explain this part, as there are a million points about it in various other threads.

However, I do not want to not see or talk to other people, I simply do not want to rely on others for my character's progression.    I still like seeing crowded towns, auction houses, etc., as it makes the world seem more alive.    Also, games like Oblivion and NWN2 are very short compared to an MMO, completable in 20-40 hours.    Most MMOs take months to see everything if not longer.

Question: take for example, WoW. I'm going to make up a figure here. 70%. Let's say WoW is 70% solo.

That's still a lot of solo gameplay hours. But you'd willingly rule out any game with plentiful solo gameplay hours, because there were also group gameplay hours on offer? Optional group gameplay hours?

It seems you're limiting yourself for little discernable reason. I would instead evaluate the quality and quantity of the solo content, in isolation from and without prejudice to the group content offered.

The only possible reason I can see for something like this is, that you feel interacting with group players is detrimental to your game experience. I can think of only a few reasons why this might be the case, and all of them stem from a possible desire to compare yourself and your achievements with theirs, and not being satisfied as a result.

In which case I would suggest that you only compare your character and your gear with other solo players. But to answer your question, I don't know of any 100% solo MMO.

• I love how half the responses simply don't answer the OP and instead tell him his tastes suck.

God online gaming can be so stupid.  Same thing happened in MUDs too.

GW Can solo almost anything with Heroes.  Probably the only game you can finsih all campaigns that way.

Thre really isn't anything that has solo better than CoX that is a "real" MMO.

DDO does not support solo well at all, however soloing in DDO is a rather challenging and fun expereince, mroe so than other games..  You simply are completely a second class citizen.  The solo settings is a joke, way too easy and crap for rewards.  Soloing on other diffculties is very time consuming comapred to groups and the difficulties are messed up for solo.  You often run into htings like Holds on hard making Hard actually harder than Elite.  But if you are good you can solo a lot of stuff, alot more than most MMOs and its very personally rewarding and fun to do it. 

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628

Try Guild Wars or Hellgate: London. You can pretty much play both of these titles without ever having to interact with other peeps. Aside from pvp, of course.

• Suo_Eno_1357Suo_Eno_1357 Member UncommonPosts: 168

Got into Mythos' beta yet?

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

City of Villains is more friendly for soloers than City of Heroes (which is great, but you pinpoint a few flaws it has, while in CoV, no such flaws).

Also, AV will be Elite Bosses at worst if your high level...many can solo these...and if this is a little hard to solo...you can get a shivan shard, which summon an Elite Boss to fight for you...so there is 1 elite boss vs 1 elite boss...and you help yours!  :P

Purples IOs can be earned solo...but no matter how you choose to earn them, they will take forever.

You will also be welcome to group and made fun with peoples, on your terms.

I would recommend that you use the command /hide if you solo, the peoples in the game are very friendly and social and sometimes, it is just better they don't see you that you tell them you are not in the mood for grouping.

EvE and Pirates of the Burning Sea definitely have a setting for soloers, but I have no idea if this is the case or not.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• Originally posted by Anofalye

City of Villains is more friendly for soloers than City of Heroes (which is great, but you pinpoint a few flaws it has, while in CoV, no such flaws).

Also, AV will be Elite Bosses at worst if your high level...many can solo these...and if this is a little hard to solo...you can get a shivan shard, which summon an Elite Boss to fight for you...so there is 1 elite boss vs 1 elite boss...and you help yours!  :P

Purples IOs can be earned solo...but no matter how you choose to earn them, they will take forever.

You will also be welcome to group and made fun with peoples, on your terms.

I would recommend that you use the command /hide if you solo, the peoples in the game are very friendly and social and sometimes, it is just better they don't see you that you tell them you are not in the mood for grouping.

EvE and Pirates of the Burning Sea definitely have a setting for soloers, but I have no idea if this is the case or not.
    Sure you can solo in Eve and make plenty of money.  You just aren't going to win and fleet battle solo and would need to solo pvp in a cloaked ship of some sort.

But Solo in Eve is different because Eve is about money not uber loot or XP.   Eve is neither a groupign game or a solo game.  It follows a more real world model where working together simply serves a certain purpose.  If you are a small man opreation playing the market, you may not need anyone.  If you want to hold sovreignity somewhere you may need a small army.

The idea of it is just different.  Corporations are not really guilds they have self determined goals and the structurea and size of the corp revolves around that.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

You can solo in most MMO's these days if you have the patience.  People said that you can't solo in Vanguard(because it is to hardcore) - yea right.  LOL!  All these games are soloable.  If you know what you're doing.

• DrSmaShDrSmaSh Member UncommonPosts: 454

Oblivion. Hf.

Every time I read your post, I die a little inside...
  • arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

1 thing i truly dont understand is, why dont dev let the old instances be soloable? EG. WoW pre BC lvl 60 instances.

Since these instance is already obsolete, they can just create quest and tone down the mob when a solo players enters. This way all  players can appreciate the effort they have put in for the old instances and also ALL of us can see the content.

This way of re-cycle i believe will not only lets more players stay, but also guaranty more players will buy the expansions knowing that they can now see the content that they have miss before......

RIP Orc Choppa

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

I want a MMO to solo in. Always. Is there one?

For starters .Hack for PS2

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• KruugarKruugar Member Posts: 43

MMOs I've played and can remember:    UO, EQ2, AC, EvE, CoH, Wow, Lotro, 2Moons, 9Dragons, Mythos, TR, Ryzom, ....  I'm sure there's more.
    That's a pretty big list you've tried.

At least one of them should have been to your liking.

I have always been a fan of AC's solo-ability.  Aside from a few high level quests you can go wherever you want and do anything you want to.

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460
    Originally posted by Kilmar

In EQ2 there is lots of lots of lots of solo content, you can play it solo for months without getting bored.

what he said....espicially the higher level areas :)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I've tried quite a few of 'em.    Lots of games, like Wow, Lotro, etc., have a good amount of solo content but the closer you get to the endgame, the less there is to do solo.     Even CoH (which I loved) that had scaling, post 40 had so many quests with AVs that you needed to group often.
    I've teamed, I've raided, and so forth, and yes, I had some good times (and some bad) doing so.   What I am sick of, is being able to solo most of a game, then being forced to team with others by the end of it.
    I want to see and experience ALL (or 95%) of the content without ever being forced to group to do so.   I want an MMO with soloable instances!
    I know I can play SP games, and I have played a boatload, but even for diehard soloers, MMOs offer many things that cannot be found in offline games.
    Finally, I don't care much for PvP.   I tried EVE, and while it had some cool things, way too much ganking there for my tastes.
    So, does such an MMO exist?    
    MMOs I've played and can remember:    UO, EQ2, AC, EvE, CoH, Wow, Lotro, 2Moons, 9Dragons, Mythos, TR, Ryzom, ....  I'm sure there's more.

Honestly, especially with one of the latest patches to speed things up, WoW is still your best bet.

Leveling a character from 1 - 70 can be a completely solo experience. Choose a set of professions that work well for your class (i.e. blacksmith/miner for a Warrior etc.) and you can be pretty darn self reliant.

There is enough content in WoW where you don't have to do any of the dungeons/group quests to level all the way up to 70.

And, doing so will take you probably.... I'm guessing... (don't quite know because of recent change) take you at LEAST 12-15 days play time to go 1-70. So that's 288-360 hours.... So even if you play at a fairly hardcore rate... let's say 4 hours a day Mon-Friday and 8 hours a day Sat/Sunday.... that's 36 hours a week... so it'll take you 8 to 10 weeks or 2-2 1/2 months.

Not bad for 30 bucks.

I'd recommend a Hunter, Rogue, Druid, or Warlock for soloing.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have played, and have currently gone back to Wow, where I'm working on my 4th 70.

To clarify, yes, grouping can be fun, and I'm not anti-grouping nor do I consider myself antisocial.   However, surely every reader here has joined that PUG that is full of a-holes spouting all kinds of garbage, or idiots who don't wait for the tank to be ready, or the healer to have mana, etc.   

Also, as someone mentioned with Wow, you can solo to the top, and then switcharoo, it's all grouping.   Not to mention that soloing will never get you the gear you could get grouping.    CoH/CoV had some quests you could solo, but a lot you could not due to AVs.

I've played GW, Factions thru Nightfall, and it was enjoyable, although I found it to be kind of a cold MMO, in that there is no AH, just a zillion people spamming in every big town.     It's also fairly short for an MMO.

I guess what I want is a game where I can not only solo to the top level, but then I can continue to improve my character without being forced to group.      Also, even though it's possible to solo to the endgame, it sucks that I have to avoid so much content and quests, even in Wow, just to avoid forced grouping.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Try Hellgate London, although to most it is not considered a mmo like Guild Wars.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I have played, and have currently gone back to Wow, where I'm working on my 4th 70.
    To clarify, yes, grouping can be fun, and I'm not anti-grouping nor do I consider myself antisocial.   However, surely every reader here has joined that PUG that is full of a-holes spouting all kinds of garbage, or idiots who don't wait for the tank to be ready, or the healer to have mana, etc.   
    Also, as someone mentioned with Wow, you can solo to the top, and then switcharoo, it's all grouping.   Not to mention that soloing will never get you the gear you could get grouping.    CoH/CoV had some quests you could solo, but a lot you could not due to AVs.
    I've played GW, Factions thru Nightfall, and it was enjoyable, although I found it to be kind of a cold MMO, in that there is no AH, just a zillion people spamming in every big town.     It's also fairly short for an MMO.
    I guess what I want is a game where I can not only solo to the top level, but then I can continue to improve my character without being forced to group.      Also, even though it's possible to solo to the endgame, it sucks that I have to avoid so much content and quests, even in Wow, just to avoid forced grouping.

Well, with enough crafting you could make yourself some pretty good epic gear at max level... with only solo farming.

But honestly, WoW is pretty much the benchmark, the highest standard to hold for solo-friendly, casual game play.... Yes, you are "forced" into grouping at max level. But when you have months of solo content before that, I don't think you can do any better.

I've pondered how solo instances would work... where the game would dynamically alter the content to fit your group composition and group size (even if it's just you!) but there is NO way you could offer the same loot table as you would in a forced-party size environment...

Half of the "struggle" in instances/raids in WoW is group dynamics, party composition, and communication/reliability...

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

I would try GW too if i were u.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

I'm going to make an off the wall recommendations because it is contrary to what people think.  I recommend original EQ, especially if you have a character already there with some AAs.  You can solo your way to 80 now, and you can eternally grind AAs to improve your character.  Solo, with the right class choice and potions available now, you could even solo the high-end content of previous expansions.  No you can't do any raid targets, but you would never be at a loss for something to do.  To top it all off, you can get gear that is better than every expansion prior to SoF (the latest) off crafters which makes nearly every previous expansion soloable by several classes.