Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age Of Camelot: Subscriptions Rising

AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Mythic Entertainment has recently published their "State of the Game" report.  In it they cover various topics including the Microsoft lawsuit, stopping cheaters, RvR changes and much more.  One of the things that stood out from the announcement was their claim that they have seen a 5% growth in subscribers in the past year.  Great job!  Here is an excerpt from the report:

Our paid monthly subscriber base (as readers of my statements here and elsewhere know, we do not hide our subscriber count nor do we use "marketing-speak" to make things look better than they are in reality) in the US is, as of today, 5% higher than it was last year at this same time and Europe the growth is even higher. Not bad at all for a three-year old game that nobody thought would succeed eh?

You can read the full article at this link.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Comments

• MonthigosMonthigos Staff WriterMember Posts: 61

I was almost certain this article was going to be about the subscription prices going up!

- m o n t h i g o s -
    www.avixiva.com

- m o n t h i g o s -

My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of MMORPG.com

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

More interesting is what Mythic is trying to do to even mismatched realms for RvR.

The problem with team based PvP is you won't know anything about your team until you spent 6 months leveling your character. Then it's rather disappointing to learn that your out numbered 30:1 or you outnumber them 30:1.

-=-=-=-=-
    "We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
    John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

• CrowenCrowen Member Posts: 128

Originally posted by Clever_Glove

More interesting is what Mythic is trying to do to even mismatched realms for RvR.

The problem with team based PvP is you won't know anything about your team until you spent 6 months leveling your character. Then it's rather disappointing to learn that your out numbered 30:1 or you outnumber them 30:1.

this is easy to check before you ever join there server.. Just go to the Camelot Herald and check the state of the realm. You will see who owns what and trust me if 1 realm ever outnumbers all the rest 30:1 then they will own everything. If all the lands are fairly equal then thats a good server to join.

The problem with that theory is why would someone that just bought the box vist the web site and check the sever maps before logging in to play?

I don't think I knew those maps existed until after I level 20, and even then I didn't really know what they meant.

In general I think the character creation process should suggest to you a realm.  We'll see how the new system works, but I think it won't change much.

I'm not starting over now somewhere with so much invested into my current charaters. Added rewards, won't help new players select a under-populated realm.

-=-=-=-=-
    "We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

• XeldonXeldon Member Posts: 2

imageYeah Mythic (Money making Factory), great job :(

The only problem is, that the reason  for this much accounts is that most of the classes need a BUFFBOT to have a chance in pvp. But I hope payday will be soon. For every player left, Mythic will lost 2 accounts.

(sorry for my bad english)

• studiobakerstudiobaker Member Posts: 50

Don't worry Mythic won't be announcing any kind of "rise" in subscriptions by the end if this year..

They'll be losing about 50% of their players..

WoW and EQ2 will destroy Mythics player base along with al lthe other newer lesser known MMO's..

• deviandevian Member Posts: 62

Originally posted by studiobaker

Don't worry Mythic won't be announcing any kind of "rise" in subscriptions by the end if this year..
    WoW and EQ2 will destroy Mythics player base along with al lthe other newer lesser known MMO's..

So so true.

• numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670

Not true. Anyone who has been playing MMO's for a few years knows that this statement is so played out it's been proven time and again to be false. Granted there will be a "decrease" in customers. But it will definately NOT be 50% of there base. Hell it wont even be 10%. They have over 250K active subscriptions. Your saying 125K subscribers will leave daoc for EQ2 and WoW? That would be a historical loss for a game company by FAR. Not a single game has even seen anywhere near that kind of decrease in even an entire year.

I must concur with Numatic.

Every MMORPG has either been able to raise it's "grass roots" user base or it has died. Sure people leave games over time, I have. But it's a slow process.

Think about it, you've spent X years building up a character and making friends, are just going to toss that away because a new shiny box is out?

Will WoW and EQ2 effect DAoC, a bit, but not allot.

Most WoW players are going to new to the MMORPG genre.

If you learn anything from the last 5 years of MMORPG's know that you can't make a user base from cannibalizing another games user base.

-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-

• studiobakerstudiobaker Member Posts: 50

""Will WoW and EQ2 effect DAoC, a bit, but not allot. ""

If you believe that your a fool.  image

Mythic knows their gonna lose and lose big. Thats why they're doing all this marketing stunt stuff lately.

Where do you think players come from?  They come from OTHER games.

Daoc WILL LOSE ALOT of players to WoW and EQ2 and thats a fact. I sure as hell wouldnt play DAOC over WoW or EQ2.. It's just junk compared to either of those games.

WoW and EQ2 combined will rule the mmo market.

not to mention other new mmo's like Dragon empires, Mourning , Dark and light which are all PvP, guild vs guild mmo's just like DAOC...   only upgraded..  They will lose half their players to all these games combined.

• numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670

Ah n00b speak. Thinking they can predict the future based on hype and not facts.

DAoC will lose players just way EQ did when DAoC started, AO, Hz,  Shadow Bane,  FFXI, CoH... and on and on and on.

Has EQ lost some players? yes, but not that many. DAoC will be around long after WoW and EQ2. Just the way EQ is after the horde of new releases. Like it or not.

New MMORPG's have not put old ones out of the business, the market isn't anywhere near staterated. MMORPG's do fail, but for other reasons.

-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-

The problem with that theory is why would someone that just bought the box vist the web site and check the sever maps before logging in to play?
    I don't think I knew those maps existed until after I level 20, and even then I didn't really know what they meant.

I'm not starting over now somewhere with so much invested into my current charaters. Added rewards, won't help new players select a under-populated realm.

Well this is true of all MMoRPG's as there has never been one released to date that you don't have to go to the web to learn how to play.. Try to make a chracter in SWG without going to the web and accually finding out that every race has special advantagest with certain classes.. Try to do quests in EQ without the web as there ingame text is broken all the time (not to mention faction info).. The list goes on and on really but the point is you should never just go out and buy a MMoRPG without online research.

Now I hear Blizzard is going all out to make sure you don't have to do this but like I said there has never been a release to date I have not had to go to the net to find info out that just should be manditory ingame.

As for not starting over well I hear that all the time from EQ players. Its just a game if your not happy playing where you are then its not going to be entertaining and thats the point of a game. So that being said why play at all if your not going to be having fun?

Personally I left DAoC because unless you have 2 accounts the end game is totally broken and you will again not be having fun. Buffed Necro can take out full groups theres ballance for you hehe. Buffed rogue can kill with 2 hits and the first is a stun so there is no combat. Anyways enjoy DAoC anyway you can if not then time to move to another game and start over :-) .

Originally posted by numatic

Not true. Anyone who has been playing MMO's for a few years knows that this statement is so played out it's been proven time and again to be false. Granted there will be a "decrease" in customers. But it will definately NOT be 50% of there base. Hell it wont even be 10%. They have over 250K active subscriptions. Your saying 125K subscribers will leave daoc for EQ2 and WoW? That would be a historical loss for a game company by FAR. Not a single game has even seen anywhere near that kind of decrease in even an entire year.

I could not agree more.. first everyone says if they don't change this I am leaving or wait till this game comes out I will leave.. Then that day comes they turn 180 and say well I put to much time into this character already or I want to wait 6 months and see where the game goes. Its the same thing over and over.. Second even if they lost 125k accounts the game would still be making a tone of money. Look at AC1 they only have about 40K active accounts and there still going strong. Heck AC2 is still going with there limited people.

Its funny because most people don't think just how much money the companies make from there 15$ a month. 125k accounts at 15$ is over 1.8 mil a month thats alot of coin. Please don't start with the well it costs so much to run the servers crap BTW because I know the costs and there alot lower than people think. Turbine is still running strong with 40k accounts at about 9$ a month unless they raised that even if they did there not making near 1.8 mil and there still doing fine. Not to mention mythic covered all there costs and were making money after just 1 week of sales just off the box price.

Sorry for rambling.. point is mythic will not get hurt from the release of any game this year.. They upcomming expantion with full instance dungeons will more then keep people there going to attract alot more.

""Will WoW and EQ2 effect DAoC, a bit, but not allot. ""
    If you believe that your a fool.  image
    Mythic knows their gonna lose and lose big. Thats why they're doing all this marketing stunt stuff lately.
    Where do you think players come from?  They come from OTHER games.
    Daoc WILL LOSE ALOT of players to WoW and EQ2 and thats a fact. I sure as hell wouldnt play DAOC over WoW or EQ2.. It's just junk compared to either of those games.
    WoW and EQ2 combined will rule the mmo market.
    not to mention other new mmo's like Dragon empires, Mourning , Dark and light which are all PvP, guild vs guild mmo's just like DAOC...   only upgraded..  They will lose half their players to all these games combined.

Accually GW will rule both EQ2 and WoW.. no monthly cost will attract the masses at this point.

WoW and EQ2 will do fine and so will DAoC. AO/AC1/AC2/CoH/SWG/Neocron/Horizons and all the rest will close way before DAoC will.

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

Hardcore DAoC people will most likely go to Dark and Light rather than the others, if you know what I mean.

You could play as an indian or human

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Every MMORPG has either been able to raise it's "grass roots" user base or it has died. Sure people leave games over time, I have. But it's a slow process.
    Think about it, you've spent X years building up a character and making friends, are just going to toss that away because a new shiny box is out?

If you learn anything from the last 5 years of MMORPG's know that you can't make a user base from cannibalizing another games user base.

-=-=-=-=-

Very true statement.

Like a person who went to university for years and then worked 10 years and discovered he is bored of the work .A mmorpg gamer is the same.

You don't just dump your job and start again you just keep going.People hate to drop what took them years to gain.

• KoltraneKoltrane Member UncommonPosts: 1,049

I agree completely.  There is no doubt that the next big thing or things will have an impact on all existing persistent worlds, DAoC included, but I know several people who left Camelot when CoH was released and subscriptions are still up.  It's safe to assume that no one title will kill a game as successful as Dark Age.

People said the same about EQ and UO when DAoC was released.  Three years later all 3 titles are going strong.  We've also heard that SWG was going to destroy EQ and other games, but it didn't.  Glove, you are right about people dedicating their time to a character.  No one wants to just toss that away for the promise of a new world.  Another thing we've learned about MMORPGs is that they have tremendous staying power once their community is established.  UO is celebrating 7 years of existence and I predict the game will be around to celebrate 10 years.  I'll even go further and say that DAoC will have a 10 year event in 2011.  You heard it here first! image

-----
    There are 10 types of people in this world...those who understand binary, and those who don't.

MMORPG.com Staff

-----

Old timer.

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

I agree that there is little chance DAoC will suffer that large of a drop in subscriptions to EQ2 or WoW.  Both will affect it but not on a great scale.  Each mmorpg has its own appeal and everyone has different tastes. 

EQ2 and WoW will probably do exceptionally well but they will not be what everyone is looking for.  DAoC for has a large pvp element, at least at the realm level, while EQ2 will be concentrated almost exclusively on pve.

Originally posted by Koltrane

Glove, you are right about people dedicating their time to a character.  No one wants to just toss that away for the promise of a new world. 

This on the other hand I disagree with.  Personally I play mmorpgs for fun and see no investment or value in a character other then the entertainment it provides me.  Once I grow tired of that character, world, graphics, or my friends move on, I would gladly drop that character to move on to a fresh new game that I find entertaining.

• KoltraneKoltrane Member UncommonPosts: 1,049

Originally posted by Misti

This on the other hand I disagree with.  Personally I play mmorpgs for fun and see no investment or value in a character other then the entertainment it provides me.  Once I grow tired of that character, world, graphics, or my friends move on, I would gladly drop that character to move on to a fresh new game that I find entertaining.

You make a valid point, Misti, and I agree there are people who will leave a persistent world for whatever reason.  It may be a serious issue or they may be capricious and just leave on a whim, but I think that most players who have taken the time to develop a character to a high level are not wont to just drop them for a new game, which was my original point (and Glove's as well, if I may speak for him image)

I have a friend who left DAoC for CoH.  She had played Camelot for over 2 years and was the one who drew me back to the game (then she left me hanging, but that's another storyimage).  My point in bringing this up is that it was more than a new world which made her leave.  She had gotten tired of the game, particularly the politics of her long time guild (or which she was an officer).  She switched servers, but was not keen on restarting when she had been at 50 for so long.  She came with a group of friends from the previous server who either went back to the original server or quit for personal reasons.  As such, she had issues with the game.  On top of that, her boyfriend started playing CoH and got her playing.  All these issues combined pulled her away.  Not that it necessarily takes that much to make a player quit, but it often takes more than the release of a new title.

Bottom line:  DAoC will continue to do well.  EQ2, WoW, GW, etc. will impact it, but no single game will kill it.  In fact, the most likely entity to damage DAoC is Mythic.  If they were to start taking their players for granted (as other companies have), gamers would leave faster than any new title could do luring them away.

-----
    There are 10 types of people in this world...those who understand binary, and those who don't.

MMORPG.com Staff

-----

Old timer.