Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the deal with player/guild housing?

Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

I see this all the time as a suggestion to make the game better and I just don't understand it.   Blizzard has said that it's been considered, but they just haven't really found it to be all that useful.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash player/guild housing, I just don't understand what it would offer.  For those who like the concept, perhaps you can tell me what it is you want out of player/guild housing, because just giving you a place to park your character when you log doesn't seem like a big deal to me.  The Guild bank thing was a big improvement, but guild housing?  Couldn't you all just meet in a place?  There are some empty or mostly empty places already, couldn't you just claim one as your own?  Again, I'm not looking for any flames, just an honest explaination of what you think the benefits of player/guild housing are.  Thanks.

Comments

• GerardAtJobGerardAtJob Member Posts: 74

I don't know for WoW (as I'm currently a DaoC player), but a guild house represent this to me :

1- A place to show your guild's achievements (Trophy, gear, etc...)

2- A place to craft

3- A place to sell your stuff, and like you said, to gather stuff for the guild/friends ( like your "Guild Bank")

4- A place to play Sims in wow (create your house... I'm not interested in this part.. but my wife is ;) )

5- (Applicable to daoc) A place where you can sell all your stuff

6- A place to spend some money if you're already templated and have all you want (buy the "BIG house")

7-.... in fact... nothing more than that lol

Have a nice day :D

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I think player/guild housing could work in WoW and be cool/useful.

They'd have to do it like LOTRO with instanced neighborhoods and/or like EQ2 with instanced apartments, but ideally a combination of both.

Why? No room in the game world for the "urban sprawl" we saw in games like UO and SWG.

They've have to add/retrofit a couple of features to make it work as I'd like to see it...

1. All players get an instanced apartment in their home city (Undercity for Undead, Stormwind for Human etc.)

2. Players could decorate their apartment as they see fit with crafted / npc bought furniture, art work, etc.

3. They'd have to add a trophy system ala EQ2. Like PvP champs in Arena get trophies, different crests/shields for maxing out certain factions, mount "heads" or whatever for slain raid bosses, etc.

4. Players could save money and buy an actual house (rather then just the free apartment room) and it'd be part of a nieghborhood like we see in LOTRO.

5. Guilds could purchase their own neighborhood and place a Guild Hall in addition to guild members private houses.

6. You'd have to add a Guild Advancement system... certain number of points given to a guild for member count, for downing raid/instance bosses, for PvP rankings / arena team victories etc.

7. Guild couldn't purchase private neighborhood till they "leveled up" the Guild enough.

8. Once a Guild is high enough level, they can make their neighborhood/Guild Hall public so that non-Guildies could enter and view all the trophies/achievements that guild has made.

9. Guild Halls and Guild neighborhood could feature banners/flags w/ Guild colors and emblem like the tabbard

10. Guilds would then be ranked per server (or PvP server cluster) and the top guilds could get special decorations, etc.

11. Ability to put forge/anvil and fires, etc. in houses/guild halls for private crafting rooms once Guild levels

12. Once guild levels have access to Guild Bank in the guild hall

13. Be able to set up "recruitment stations" in Guild hall for applicants to submit in-game e-mail to recruitment officers (or just have link to Guild's web site)

That kind of stuff...

• Player_420Player_420 Member Posts: 686

It makes it so your char actually feels like they live in the world.

I think this should be a standard in every MMORPG.

But then again WoW only has 9 classes after 3 years and they never listen to players (like me) after all those 3 years.

owch

I play all ghame

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Pappy13

I see this all the time as a suggestion to make the game better and I just don't understand it.   Blizzard has said that it's been considered, but they just haven't really found it to be all that useful.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash player/guild housing, I just don't understand what it would offer.  For those who like the concept, perhaps you can tell me what it is you want out of player/guild housing, because just giving you a place to park your character when you log doesn't seem like a big deal to me.  The Guild bank thing was a big improvement, but guild housing?  Couldn't you all just meet in a place?  There are some empty or mostly empty places already, couldn't you just claim one as your own?  Again, I'm not looking for any flames, just an honest explaination of what you think the benefits of player/guild housing are.  Thanks.

They don't make you leeter, so they're useless

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I like player housing just for the fun of having it, and decorate it. When you have a cool house you can show it to your friends and guildmates. It's not something too important, it's just something that gives some deep to the game, and something to do in game when you dont find a group or you dont wanna go fight. For me when I played EQ2 I spent tons of time browsing on the broker / auctioneer for furniture to my house and then a lot more of time placing them in my 3 room house. (I had my bebroom floor covered with rugs, for example).

Edit: And too many people made a lot of money crafting furniture.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

So I guess for those of you who want it, it's more than just housing you're wanting.  You're wanting a few things to put in the house as well, like trophies or banners or whatever and furniture and rugs and stuff.  So I guess Blizz would also have to create some furniture or possibly even a new profession or 2 to create this stuff and create some new titles or something as well.  

I don't really understand the need to have a place to sell your stuff since you have the auction house and it seems so much better functionally to get your stuff sold than putting up a shop where people could stop in and see what you have.  Why go to the brick and mortar store when you can get it "online"?  On top of that there's the problem of where to put all these places for everyone to sell their stuff.  I doubt this is ever gonna implemented.

For our guild we have a website that people can contribute to with forums and stuff where we discuss our guild, it's kind of become our home.  I could see maybe Blizzard expanding on the functionality of the WoW vault guild tab to show some of this stuff.  That might be a possibility.

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488

Although I would love having player/guild housing in WoW, I don't think that there is a good reason for Activision Blizzard to have it available while it's subscriber base is still strong. With WoW's designs, it seems to me that player/guild housing will be more suitable once game contents reach an older age - not just yet!

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

I think Blizzard is somewhat scared to attempt 'player housing'.  They know that once they do... the floodgates are open.  People will want furniture and all sorts of other items for their homes.  Then they'll want to be able to drop them, place them, arrange them in their houses.  They'll want to be able to decorate the house.  Think of the exploits that would sprout up.

I think those are just a few of the reasons why Blizz hasn't done the whole 'player housing' bit, to date.

But, bottomline... the customers want it.  I think it should be available. 

• NeonShadowNeonShadow Member UncommonPosts: 326

Well I was the same as you OP, I didn't get why people in WoW wanted player housing.

I loved it in UO and SWG, but I thought that it wouldn't be that important in WoW. Well, after I managed to get all the beast gear for my char I ended up twiddling my thumbs in OG for weeks (still there) thinking what to do next. After getting all the gear you feel really empty, so having player housing with decorative stuff would be a nice gimmick to have to waste time on and have fun.

WoW needs more non combat oriented activities (that aren't total forced time sinks) for those who have the best gear they can get, are bored with PvP and for those who have like 15-20 minutes time to play before they have to logoff.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

WoW is not developed with player/guild housing in mind.  You need a gameplay to match the features. And WoW have aimed for other ones.

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

"

11. Ability to put forge/anvil and fires, etc. in houses/guild halls for private crafting rooms once Guild levels

12. Once guild levels have access to Guild Bank in the guild hall"

A Massive *NO* to things like this.

See this is where I have a problem with housing. It starts out innocent and all that but for some reason people end up asking it to be the central hub for everything.

Hearthstones to the house, bank access in the house, auction access in the house and pretty soon you won't see *anyone* in the cities anymore except maybe when they run by from their house or to it.

Houses are fine, but they CANNOT implement the features that pull people to the cities imo. I saw this in Daoc with their housing neighborhoods and their Cities became ghosttowns.

Personally I'd make it guildhousing and leave it at that.

• shanestifershanestifer Member UncommonPosts: 9

This would be just more like a fun factor of exspression. plus it would be a nice place to have a guild meeting. would be even better if they added guild waring

"I look forward to completing your training. In time you will call me master."

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

To me a personal, housing is like getting home after a hard days work. Sitting by the fire place, a coffee in the hand and just relax. No doubt i can pick up some trophies or rare items that i can put up in my house that reminds me of where ive been,  and what ive done. Even a claw from Naxx will be nice...

Than just checking the AH from the comfort of my home, to see if ive sell anything or whats the hotest property now in the market...

All these things just makes it all the more personal......

RIP Orc Choppa