Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I Give Up On Trying to Play?

housemdfanhousemdfan Member Posts: 25

I don't have the best computer. I can run Elder Scrolls Oblivion on the lowest setting, but it isn't online. When I try to play an MMORPG, everything lags, I have to run it at the lowest settings and even then I don't have fun. Are there any games that aren't browser based that I can play with:

Windows XP

Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor

1.60GHz

1.59GHz, 448MB of RAM?

I don't know if that is enough information. I don't have anymore information for you all.

Female Gamer since 1991

Comments

• CoralisCoralis Member Posts: 31

I used to run Everquest on a P3 700 mhz comp with 512 mb ram and a mx 400 video card .  The game is dated by todays standards but it was a great game , so much so I'm seriously considering reinstalling and resubbing to the game .   

• powerbaitpowerbait Member Posts: 113

which mmo's have you tried to play?  I would suggest wow, but I mean even in masses you will end up getting lag at some point.

Also, Asheron's call was an amazing game to play ( still is ) just might be hard to start brand new if you have never played before.  Like I said try WoW or even see if you like AC or Everquest.  There are plenty of options it just depends on what you really want to play.

------------------------------
    We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives.
    ~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

• housemdfanhousemdfan Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by powerbait

which mmo's have you tried to play?  I would suggest wow, but I mean even in masses you will end up getting lag at some point.

I've tried to play Pirates Online and Second Life. I can't afford the fees for WoW. I'm trying to find a free MMO that I can play with my PC specs.

Needless to say I can't pay monthly fees if I have Xbox LIVE and school to pay for.

Female Gamer since 1991

oh there are plenty of free mmo's with great communities that you might enjoy.  Here is a small list of games you can check out:

Fly for fun, Silkroad online, Dream of Mirror Online, Shadowbane ( if you like open pvp ), Dungeon Runners ( if you like Diablo style games ), Holic ( haven't played it, but I hear it's not bad.)

Those are only a few that I can think of.  There are plenty more and I am sure others can offer other suggestions for some free games that don't require massive resources.

We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives.

I'll check those out. Thank you.

Female Gamer since 1991

no problem at all, some of them do require video cards so you might experiance some lag with a few, but for low specs those are the most I could think of.  Good luck finding the game for you there are deffinatly plenty out there to try until you get the right one!

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

<-- Also a House addict

• GinkeqGinkeq Member Posts: 615

Originally posted by housemdfan

I don't have the best computer. I can run Elder Scrolls Oblivion on the lowest setting, but it isn't online. When I try to play an MMORPG, everything lags, I have to run it at the lowest settings and even then I don't have fun. Are there any games that aren't browser based that I can play with:

Windows XP

1.60GHz

1.59GHz, 448MB of RAM?

I don't know if that is enough information. I don't have anymore information for you all.

buy  a new computer imo

Originally posted by Ginkeq

Windows XP

1.60GHz

1.59GHz, 448MB of RAM?

buy  a new computer imo

imo./...try reading her posts...she is in school and can't afford it. I know when i was in college i saved for like a month just to buy diablo II. Some of us don't have mommy and daddy holding our hands and giving us cash to spend in college. I know i worked to pay for college and an apartment/food/bills/utilities in NYC for 5 years, and was pretty much broke 24/7.

think before you type

Originally posted by miagisan

Originally posted by Ginkeq

Windows XP

1.60GHz

1.59GHz, 448MB of RAM?

buy  a new computer imo

imo./...try reading her posts...she is in school and can't afford it. I know when i was in college i saved for like a month just to buy diablo II. Some of us don't have mommy and daddy holding our hands and giving us cash to spend in college. I know i worked to pay for college and an apartment/food/bills/utilities in NYC for 5 years, and was pretty much broke 24/7.

think before you type

My computer is good enough for school, but sadly not good enough for gaming, so I've turned to consoles. Games like MOHAA work fine for me because they're older, but still have a good following. I'm only allowed enough 'allowance' for food and for books. The state is hopefully going to help with my tuition because of my handicaps. I work but my monthly paycheck wouldn't pay for half of a game disc (kinda sad, I know) And I can't get a better job until the state helps me to get certain additions to my car so I can drive (My legs aren't capable of pushing the pedals)

Thanks for all your help. I've gotten addicted to Puzzle Pirates but I'll check out some of the games you guys mentioned.

Female Gamer since 1991

• xkeyxkey Member Posts: 34

Windows XP

1.60GHz

1.59GHz, 448MB of RAM?

DungeonRunners

Maplestory

maybe Dofus  [not sure]

I'd recommend GW BUT you probably have intel built in vid that  doesnt really run GW well [Guild Wars  - it's only going to be a one time fee of $25 on sale for prophecies OR you can try to nab the newer GW platinum - it's the first 3 GW (proph, fact, night) and I think either best buy, circ city or  Go gamer (online) or ebgames (online) had it for under $45 recently ]

I see someone else made the suggestion of a new computer and - they are dead-bang on even though you may be really strapped for cash - you can get a new desktop or slap one together for $300 tops that will surpass what you are using now. you can get a new laptop for $450 that wil surpass what you have now.

you don't need a $1000 gaming rig for the present crop of mmo's  - might for the next bioware mmo in 2 years or the next blizz one in 2-3 years but by then ...those rigs will be $500 commodity boxes :)

x

xkey was here

I guess I need to look for a gaming laptop. I'm not interested in gaming on desktops because I travel often.

Female Gamer since 1991

i was close :) good luck on your endeavors!

and House still rocks

Originally posted by miagisan

i was close :) good luck on your endeavors!
    and House still rocks

Thanks. If you play on the 360 look me up. Same name as here. ;)

Female Gamer since 1991