Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Blizzard Ripping You Off?

So it is well established that WoW prints money with it's ten million subscribers, the collector's editions of the games are good, and they have their own convention.

But a comic and trading cards?

Not only that, but there are different factions, races and classes so when you buy a booster pack, BAM! maybe one or two cards are actually useful for you Horde, feral specced, tauren druid. Then the loot cards to get in game stuff, they are just milkin' it for all its worth aren't they?

Secondly, the comic, I personally like comics of all kinds. Even comics with terrible stories(cough cough) but great pictures for that childish feeling of admiring the cool details and stuff of a well-drawn comic drawing. This is like Mario in the 80s all over again. Soon there will be Murloc cereal with marshmallow raid gear, and kids books like "The little raid boss that could". What next?

Comments

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

Originally posted by jasthemity

So it is well established that WoW prints money with it's ten million subscribers, the collector's editions of the games are good, and they have their own convention.
        Not only that, but there are different factions, races and classes so when you buy a booster pack, BAM! maybe one or two cards are actually useful for you Horde, feral specced, tauren druid. Then the loot cards to get in game stuff, they are just milkin' it for all its worth aren't they?
        Secondly, the comic, I personally like comics of all kinds. Even comics with terrible stories(cough cough) but great pictures for that childish feeling of admiring the cool details and stuff of a well-drawn comic drawing. This is like Mario in the 80s all over again. Soon there will be Murloc cereal with marshmallow raid gear, and kids books like "The little raid boss that could". What next?

Lol yeah the trading card game and the books are just dumb, if anything.

If it isn't ripping off America, then it's just plain dumb.

• Daemon1988Daemon1988 Member UncommonPosts: 3

You can't be ripped off if you play, you choose to pay that monthly fee. I have played on and off for a while and thought sometimes it seems ridiculous with all the dumb stuff like card games and crap they add, 15 dollars a month with the millions of subscribers has brought patches and updates on an almost monthly basis. That's something I can agree with. In the other MMO's I've played I have never seen a game be updated with so much content.

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

Originally posted by jasthemity

Have you ever considered that, maybe, if you didn't like something, it didn't mean everyone else doesn't?

Obviously these things weren't meant for someone like you but for people that actually appreciate stuff like that.

Get some perspective and realize your whole argument is based on your subjectivity in taste and not in the "moneymilking" practices of blizzard

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Yes Blizzard is milking out there product, would not say they ripping people off. It is there goal to make money and it seems that trading cards are hot these days so it is an logical step to take.

• jasthemityjasthemity Member Posts: 63

But hidden in there are those loot cards. I enjoy the card game, I bought myself a deck, I just find it too pricey. I guess they aren't really ripping you off, but it seems like they are throwing together new merchandise very qucikly.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

At the end of the day, if you consider that it is not good value and you don't buy it, they can't rip you off. If you like it, it makes you happy and you think that the price is fair, then there is no problem.

As far as milking the market for Warcraft is concerned, well of course they are and we haven't even got to the $100Million film yet, imagine the merchandise for that one! Even with all of this they don't come anywhere near the merchandising for some other things like Star Wars or Pokemon yet, but they are getting there.

Like any other company Blizzard/Vivendi have seen a cash cow and they are going to milk it for all it is worth while they can, but that is business :)

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• OntblodOntblod Member UncommonPosts: 195

They are just doing what any other company would and will do in the same position.

Hmm can you actually get something useful from the trading cards to use

"in-game"!? How does it work? Sry for being off-topic here.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Its not off-topic, he brought it up in the OP so its connected and timely.  :)

I still play WoW, trying to do at least all the classes once at least to 30ish, to actually READ the questlines ( a novel idea with players these days) and see how each one works.  I still feel there is a lot of value I get for my prepaid account so Im happy atm.

But honestly, I dont care if they sell T-shirts, cards, comics or diapers. Even ones with "Free Uber-Item Inside!" Everyone likes good gear, or you would see 70s with armor that that was just mob trash. The difference is, some chase it loot as priority one, socializing and storylines as 2 and 3; while others see the complete reverse order. I dont really care if Pwnr666 buys a comic and gets it, he doesnt affect me. More power to him. I hope that guy buys 10 packs of trading cards a month, just looking for the bauble, if such a thing existed. (be really funny if no one actually FOUND the Babymommakiller Executioner's Sword of Jerry Springer in the cards hehe)

I actually hope they market more junk to people. (just dont do it IN game) If they make even more money, the game will keep running smoothly, costs will stay where they are at. They can put loads more into development than any other game can. I bet Blizzard's lunch expense accounts probably are more than whole budgets of some of these other games lol. But so far, theyve earned every penny. Their ideas, implementation and marketing combo brought in the customers. I have no problem with that as a customer. The product works.

Kinda hard to say "We have to increase monthly subs due to costs" when you can make an extra 10% from selling merchandizing junk or trinkets.

So in answer to your OP, Id say no, Blizzard is not ripping ME off.

• AguyAguy Member Posts: 561

Just so you know, Blizzard has almost no say in the card game at all, it is completely handled by Upper Deck Entertainment.  So it's not them that is ripping you off.

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Aguy

Just so you know, Blizzard has almost no say in the card game at all, it is completely handled by Upper Deck Entertainment.  So it's not them that is ripping you off.

While I agree that no one is ripping anyone off, as purchasing and playing any game is completely voluntary, I would add that Blizzard is most assuredly raking in a hefty licensing fee.  I am also 100% certain they have approval rights over every bit of lore, as well as co-designing the loot cards.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I don't see a problem. In fact, it is *good* for consumers that Blizzard is giving people MORE options to enjoy the world of warcraft.

If you don't like card games, don't play. If you do and buy the cards, by definition it is not ripping off because you voluntarily go for it.

I am seriously thinking about collecting some WOW figures too since I am into toys collecting. I am happy that they actually have WOW toys.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

All of the loot cards from the CCG are for vanity purposes. None of them will give you an unfair edge in the game.

Blizzard is selling WoW toys, comics, cards, shirts, etc because there are people willing to buy them. Basic concept to capitalism.

Couple years ago Sony was doing the exact same thing with Everquest.

• wyldcardwyldcard Member UncommonPosts: 3

It's gotta be said though, yes Blizzard are making an obscene amount of money that we are all wish we had, but if you were in their shoes wouldn't you do the same?

If I had a worldwide product, with 10Million subscribers I can say for sure, I'm not just going to sit back. I'd be seeing just how far I can push this thing.  *shrug* just my thoughts, terms like "milking it" and "ripping off" don't really fit with a business model, "Opportunity" and "Research of the demographic" do, it's just opinion that changes how it is viewed.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    When I played EQ2, I really felt like I was ripped off, because they had limited character slots, some functionality like nice net database of chacracters, and even game updates (adventure packs). You either had to pay them double monthly fee for the Station Access or not recieve them.

And when I played FFXI, I felt like I was ripped off, because I got only 1 character slot and they sold extra. I wasn't getting to play the game like I wanted with my monthly fee, I'd had to play extra to get to play it like I wanted.

But with Blizzard, the only thing they've given with their collection editions, cards games, and such, are cool things like in game pets. Never anything that I'd have needed to enjoy the game has costed extra, I've got it all with just my mothly fee. So no, I definitely do not feel ripped off by Blizzard.

• 56KModem56KModem Member Posts: 38

The original poster does have some valid points. Blizzard did indeed become the number one of gaming and they have achieved such a goal in relatively short time. Just as all successful companies out there say, "Why stop there?".

Microsoft is another company like Blizzard that is trying to cash on everything that they make. Just like Blizzard, when Microsoft came out, the other companies suffered due to very heavy competition and in the end they were not good enough. After initial success, a certain prediction of future doom falls into the perspective; therefore, while the glory is lasting, cash greatly on the idea.

Now Blizzard has multitude of different income sources. The card game, some share of the XPS coomputers, and even a share of the shirts and gear. All listed plus the biggest income from their prised game, sets Blizzard on top at least for now. Vivendi Games is definitely proud and happy to have such a productive department working for them.

Can anyone really blame them. Its their ideas and creations. Let them market the stuff as they wish; it funells more money into the economy. Again, it is up to the parents to buy the merchandise if they so choose.

Also, I am a big fan of the WoW card game. The rules and the objectives are very fun and innovative and a single game can take hours. If I knew about the card game without knowing about the computer counterpart, I would still play and enjoy it.

“It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."