Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New CPU + Mobo

preticepretice Member Posts: 28

Hey, im planning to upgrade my CPU and my motherboard, because of that, and i want to know what is compatible and a good type to get for my computer without having to change everything in the computer, cuz im not the richest of people.

Current Computer:

CPU      Pentium 4 3.06GHz

GPU      NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Mobo     D915GAV www1.shopping.com/xPF-Intel-D915GAV

RAM     2x 102463403 1024MB and 1x 512MB Shikatronics and 1x 512MB Kingston  (yea, iunno what happened there, i bought this system a little while ago)  its DDR SDRAM

Power Supply     500w MiOS

m not sure what the case is, or the Hard drives

If you need anymore info, tell me how to find it and ill get it.

Any help is appreciated

Comments

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

you'll need memory too.

and.. prolly have to pick up an OEM OS too.

you should be able to salvage the case, floppy drive, optical drive, and MAYBE the power supply.

how much are you looking to spend ?

• preticepretice Member Posts: 28

damnit, right now i have like no income, so not much, i was tihnking around 300 or sometihng

• oakaeoakae Member UncommonPosts: 344

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115030

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059

This should be good enough.
    Ram is cheap these days. I recently bought 2 gigs of ddr2 800 for $40.

• ArudanelArudanel Member Posts: 47
    300 only? I'd suggest buying some RAM and motheboard. Get a quad-core ready intel board with the 775 socket. Personally I like the NVidia boards, but others have just headaches with them. Get motherboard and some compatible ram for now, and wait till you have more for a bigger upgrade later.
    Using a quad-core ready board, preferably with SLI, will give you space to grow later on without killing your budget now. Then you can re-use your existing CPU and video, and likely even the power supply for the time being, though that will have to go if you want to go SLI down the road.

ok, so i put together a few things and came up with this, im not entirely sure if everything is compatible cuz im new at this but i checked and looked compatible to me.

First i woudl buy the Mobo, RAM and maybe PSU, if i needed it, these are the ones i was loooking at:

Mobo: www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp

$99.97

RAM: www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp

$61.99

PSU: www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp

$133.99

-------

Total: $295.95 Excl. tax

Than for later, when i build up some cash again ill be looking forward to get something like this

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2643933

$259.92

and that would make a total of 555.92    all excluding tax.

How does that sound ?

opinions :)

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

*edit*

buh. you listed your current mobo above. so yes, you could go with your plan. get a nice current, well featured motherboard a new psu and new memory now. then upgrade the cpu when you have some extra cash. doin' it this way, you prolly wouldn't need a new OS either, if you just tell 'em your old one fried when you try to reactivate.

Oh, i seem to have just discovered what my hard drives are.

first one is www.twenga.co.uk/reviews-6L020J1-MAXTOR-Hard-drive-internal--4332-1-0-0

and the second is WDC WD1600JS-22MHB

I cant find a link for the info for that one, so meh.

Will those be compatible with everything above?

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by xxthecorexx
    *edit*
    buh. you listed your current mobo above. so yes, you could go with your plan. get a nice current, well featured motherboard a new psu and new memory now. then upgrade the cpu when you have some extra cash. doin' it this way, you prolly wouldn't need a new OS either, if you just tell 'em your old one fried when you try to reactivate.

He can't uses a 478 socket CPU on a 775 socket mobo.

Same pickle I'm in right now. I have to upgrade everything...my computer is OLD.

D.