Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is this a good gaming comp for $1300?

ltlfishieltlfishie Member Posts: 93

Comments

• Why get a 750 gig hard drive? Why not get 2 500's for the same price and raid stripe em? Quicker transfer rate on files etc.

Along with the 7.1 dolby surround? You have that many speakers? I have the turtle beach 2.1 and use my headphones only with it which work great.

Guess I can't complain about 4gigs of ram specially at that price.

Rest looks pretty good.

• oakaeoakae Member UncommonPosts: 344

Tigerdirect usually makes you pay more. newegg.com zipzoomfly.com and clubit.com usually have much better prices.

I also recommend the abit ip35 pro it's a cheaper motherboard but performance isn't really different from that asus one.

It's also cheaper as bob said to get 2 500gig drives instead.

It's usually better to buy the case and power supply separately. Get a name brand power supply like seasonic, corsair, cooler master, ocz, thermaltake, enermax and pc power & cooling.

There's a hardware forum btw.

• MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698

Everything looks great.. Though if you could, get that Motherboard seperate with a 3.0ghz core2duo and maybe another gb of the same RAM for a total of 3... I didn't look to far in, but make sure everything works with that Motherboard otherwise it will be just a large paperweight.

• NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

I would get an Apevia case.. thats about it.

Oh and, you got jipped.  Your vid card came with quake wars?  Mine came with crysis..

-------------------------

• sadnebulasadnebula Member UncommonPosts: 263

not bad at all I'm using the vid card and core 2 quad. might want to look at the coolmaster stacker case , super case , great cooling. Quads run a bit hotter core temp. lol, had to plug that case, love it.  also the quad doesnt clock quite as easy as the duo.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

You were 1 day late.  Tigerdirect was having a sale where they sold 2GB ram, that motherboard and processor for $386.

Turtle Beach usually doesn't produce good products.  Also that card is more expensive then how much a Turtle Beach sound card usually sells for.

• k9wazerek9wazere Member Posts: 84

1. Dolby Digital Live is widely considered pants. DTS Interactive is better (less compression/ sound lag).

2. Asus have some pretty crappy chipset fans, which are LOUD and fail often. I love Gigabyte, with their high quality capacitors and complete lack of fans (they use heatsinks only).

3. 2gig RAM isn't enough. Seriously. 4gig is a reasonable amount for a gaming PC these days.

• archevelarchevel Member Posts: 9

Almost the same as my computer... I got 8800GTS vid card which apparently is slightly worse than the GT version. Oh one thing I do recomend is to get a 10000 RPM hard drive to load stuff faster and such. I did this: one large 7200 rpm disk (for files/storage) and a smaller 10000 rpm disk for (OS and appz)..

Cheers,

Arch

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

Looks like a fairly solid setup but let me make the suggestion that a few other people have made.

Buy
    everything
    from NEWEGG

Ive built my own pc, and built pcs for friends and everytime, buying practically everything from Newegg has been much cheaper than going to tigerdirect or trying to shop out every single piece of hardware.

Also, keep an eye how much the total price will be. Alot of places may have a cheaper price than newegg and then ask for 5 dollars more for shipping, actually making newegg the cheapest option.

• findaratofindarato Member Posts: 74

I personally would go with 2 500GB drives and stripe them, that is if the motherboard had support.  That would give you quicker load times on your games and cost a little less than one 750.  You are risking total data loss if one of the 2 drives dies, but you are doing the same with 1 750.

• Unicorns_PwnUnicorns_Pwn Member Posts: 427

Personally, I would change the following

change out the processor for an E8400. that combo deal seems a bit high to me. nor do I know if you need all those features on the motherboard.

If not overclocking don't buy into the performance ram hype.

Nice choice in the 8800GT but i prefer the  ASUS version with the new cooling as it is really quiet.

(edit) Sorry, I'm not trying to come off as an ass at all but I really don't see why you should go witha  quad core at this time over a faster dual core since most games arent even SMP aware at this state. Also spending alot of money for a motherboard with features that you don't seem to be using up front. could shave a couple hundred bucks off your build  easily and you'd probably never notice the difference unless you want to hardcore video encode or 3d render.

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396
    Originally posted by k9wazere

1. Dolby Digital Live is widely considered pants. DTS Interactive is better (less compression/ sound lag).

2. Asus have some pretty crappy chipset fans, which are LOUD and fail often. I love Gigabyte, with their high quality capacitors and complete lack of fans (they use heatsinks only).

3. 2gig RAM isn't enough. Seriously. 4gig is a reasonable amount for a gaming PC these days.

2 gigs is plenty for gaming in XP.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

For $1300 I would get:

Intel e8400 - $225

Gigabyte P35 DS3R - $167

G. Skill DDR2 800 2x1gb - $47

Corsair 650 watt - $160

Case of Your Choice ~ $100

3870 X2 - $455

LITE ON DVD Burner - $34

Seagate 500 GB 7200.11 - $120

Comes out to be $1308 assuming you choose a case around $100. You could get a Coolermaster 690 for about $70, thus bringing you under budget. I assume you already have an OS, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I didn't know the size of the monitor, so if its smaller than 1680x1050 you can probably downgrade the graphics card to something like an 8800GTS 512mb.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by Varlok91

Originally posted by k9wazere

2 gigs is plenty for gaming in XP.

XP will only support the 2 gigs of memory anyway. 4 gigs is going to waste on XP.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -