Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just a quick question.

TurtlefuzzTurtlefuzz Member Posts: 3

I downloaded the Play the Fae trial of this game, and I really like it. I think that this is a really fun game. My only problem is that it crashes a lot. It's crashed three times on me today. So I was wondering, does anyone here have a problem with the game crashing in the full version. I would like to purchase it but not if it crashes like this.

Comments

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

No, I don't have that problem. Make sure all your hardware have driver updates, and that the game can run with your hardware.

If you continue to have problems, go on the EQ2 forums. You don't have to create an account to search the forums for help with existing problems.

• TurtlefuzzTurtlefuzz Member Posts: 3

Problem with is crashing is that it messes up my system, and I need to turn it off before I can do anything else.

but here are my system specs:

Manufacturer:
    Dell Inc.

Processor:
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory:
    1022MB RAM

Hard Drive:
    154 GB

Video Card:
    RADEON X600 256MB HyperMemory

Monitor:
    Plug and Play Monitor

Sound Card:
    SigmaTel Audio

Speakers/Headphones:  
    Keyboard:
    USB Root Hub

Mouse:
    USB Root Hub

Mouse Surface:  
    Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Same thing for me.  On high it is rock solid.  On very high or extreme I start getting crashes...

---
    Ethion

• TurtlefuzzTurtlefuzz Member Posts: 3

I tried it on High and it still crashes. It locks my computer up forcing me to restart the computer since it crashed. I want to know if this is just a bug in the trial.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

A few things you could try that may help you situation :

1. Check to make sure your DirectX is up to date.

2. Check to make sure your running the latest build on your video card drivers.

3. Running the game on the lowest settings to start, then move up from there.

4. Updating your bios.

5. Running a defrag.

And if all else fails, run a few benchmarks and post your results to see how you compare to others. Also, if possible, make sure you do a full file check when starting the client and checking for updates. Not sure if you can do this with Everquest 2. If your still having problems, you could send in a petition along with your dxdiag report and any error logs to Customer Supoort. Good luck!

Edit : Also, in my opinon your system seems it should be able to run it fine. My friend owns a laptop with less specs and can get it to run on the lowest settings.

• bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614

The best thing you could do is get at least another half gig of ram. 1 gig or more would be great. Big difference between 1 and 2 gig of ram.

Your processor is ok, you're not going to upgrade performance in that regard. Your graphics card is fine, but it is borderline. After ram, I would upgrade the graphics card.

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Could be the ATI drivers, try get new ones from omegadrive.com.

I have all sliders in the game up to max and no crashes.

A little more memory is always good, it´s cheap right now but the game were stabilie on my old P4 too so I dont think you have anything to worry about, just buy it.

And Lucan D'lere (US) is a great server BTW, My biggest problem with EQ2 was initially that the European servers suck, laggs a lot. No such problem on the Us servers though (you can choose between that when you start the game). 

• shadout00shadout00 Member Posts: 253

Hmm, you computer definitely needs some more ram. Even though you can play with 1 gb, it will still be pretty laggy and your FPS will be bad. Your video card isn't great but it should give you enough to play. Do you take  good care of your computer (spyware, viruses, lots of unused apps  that might be using your memory)? Try running a clean sweep of an antivirus and spyware program and uninstall what you don't use. Clean up your desktop and make sure nothing is running in the backgroun like MSn or the like. I know these things are very minute but they can add up.

Have you tried different video card drivers? Maybe they are outdated or a version that just isn't compatible with EQ2. A lot of these issues have multiple answers but you will probably have to try everything. For the most part, from what I've seen, EQ2 doesn't crash often in the years I've played it on about 4 different rigs. I've never actually seen it crash at all unless I went linkdead.

Oh yeah you might want to try a fresh install. It is also possible you have a corrupt file from downloading or just the game didn't install 100% correctly. Let us know your results!

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Not to be a hater, even though upgrading does help, its not needed here. My friends laptop runs it with 512 ram, and i can run it with 1 gig with no lag or problems at all. So for you guys mentioning that his memory is a problem, its not. It though however, could be a memory error problem. Therefore doing a memory scan could help. But if your not receiving errors after running it for awhile, i doubt thats the problem. A good memory checker and i beleive is free is, MemTest. Google it for the link. But as for his memory, 1 gig is fine to run this game on balanced which is what i play at, and especially at low settings.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Originally posted by Turtlefuzz

I tried it on High and it still crashes. It locks my computer up forcing me to restart the computer since it crashed. I want to know if this is just a bug in the trial.

if your compuer islocking up I'm gonna bet it is a memory problem.  You should go to www.microsoft.com and search for memory tester or diagnostic.  They have a pretty good memory tester you can download free.

Also 1gb of ram isn't enough to run on high.  You will want to try running in balanced or lower settings.

---
    Ethion

• shadout00shadout00 Member Posts: 253

Originally posted by mackdawg19

Not to be a hater, even though upgrading does help, its not needed here. My friends laptop runs it with 512 ram, and i can run it with 1 gig with no lag or problems at all. So for you guys mentioning that his memory is a problem, its not. It though however, could be a memory error problem. Therefore doing a memory scan could help. But if your not receiving errors after running it for awhile, i doubt thats the problem. A good memory checker and i beleive is free is, MemTest. Google it for the link. But as for his memory, 1 gig is fine to run this game on balanced which is what i play at, and especially at low settings.

He's not running it on low like you and your buddy, so memory IS the problem. 1gb is definitely fine if you are running it at lower settings.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

I would occasionally crash with extreme settings on after about 2hours or so of gaming. It would give me the ran out of memory bit and then exit out to the desktop. I actually never had this problem on my older system, but my current system seems to get this. Although I do run vista, but I'm not sure if that is exactly the problem. Oh and my computer is no slouch either.