Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grammar Nazis?

ZsasZZsasZ Member Posts: 208

Just wanted to get a feel about this topic. For the uninitiated, I personally define a 'Grammar Nazi' (henceforth defined as GN, because I am lazy) as a person who replies to a post simply to correct (or deride) someone's bad grammar. From my observations of this and the dozen or so other forums I frequent, there are two main schools of thought about it;

Those that are 'anti-GN' usually say that calling someone out on their grammar is the only way to attack them. They can't refute the content, so they go after the format.

Those that are 'pro-GN' usually say that the presentation is part of the content, and a badly formed message isn't worth reading.

Personally, I'm pro-GN myself, but I won't reply to a message just to criticize a lack of punctuation or capitalization. I believe that in a textual medium such as this, my words are the only thing you have to judge me by, so I take the extra few seconds to correct the mistakes that Firefox catches. Although I have been known to toss out an occasional 'zomg u suck n00b stfu', it's usually for sarcastic effect.

What do you think?

Evil will always win, because Good is dumb.

Comments

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by ZsasZ

Those that are 'anti-GN' usually say that calling someone out on their grammar is the only way to attack them. They can't refute the  content, so they go after the format.
    ZOMG joo n00b!11!!

You have one extra space between "the" and "content"!

• ZsasZZsasZ Member Posts: 208
    Originally posted by Dekron

Those that are 'anti-GN' usually say that calling someone out on their grammar is the only way to attack them. They can't refute the  content, so they go after the format.
    ZOMG joo n00b!11!!

You have one extra space between "the" and "content"!

pwnt (err, I mean fixed).

Evil will always win, because Good is dumb.

• ParaTrooperParaTrooper Member Posts: 1,961

Mine English is good yaa?

I don't care really. I'm intelligent enough to read what people say no matter how messy it is. However I cannot stand posts where every 2nd word is spelt incorrectly. 

Also by your definition of Grammar Nazi, people like that won't take long to be banned for trolling.

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
    -----------------------------------------
    ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I voted "couldn't care less" but I feel that I could care less but that would simply require too much effort on my part and is hence forth not worth it.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Something in between. I personally hate to see my own spelling mistakes (grammar is acceptable) so I always use Firefox with spell check to see that the most stuff is spelled correctly. When quoting I usually clean up the quoted message a bit too. However I don't think I've ever replied just to state a misspelling or bad grammar.

People who obviously can't write English and who has terrible grammar and spell every second word wrong is however too much for me. I usually just give up trying to understand what they are trying to say.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Just wanted to get a feel about this topic. For the uninitiated, I personally define a 'Grammar Nazi' (henceforth defined as GN, because I am lazy) as a person who replies to a post simply to correct (or deride) someone's bad grammar. From my observations of this and the dozen or so other forums I frequent, there are two main schools of thought about it;
    Those that are 'anti-GN' usually say that calling someone out on their grammar is the only way to attack them. They can't refute the content, so they go after the format.
    Those that are 'pro-GN' usually say that the presentation is part of the content, and a badly formed message isn't worth reading.
    Personally, I'm pro-GN myself, but I won't reply to a message just to criticize a lack of punctuation or capitalization. I believe that in a textual medium such as this, my words are the only thing you have to judge me by, so I take the extra few seconds to correct the mistakes that Firefox catches. Although I have been known to toss out an occasional 'zomg u suck n00b stfu', it's usually for sarcastic effect.
    What do you think?
    Oh my GOD!

BAD GRAMMAR.

Seriously tho i don't really care about someones spelling etc unless its really really bad.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981