Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] why do you still play WOW?

Omega3Omega3 Member Posts: 398

Just curious as to why you are still playing WoW?

My addiction History:
>> EQ1 2000-2004 - Shaman/Bard/Wizard/Monk - nolife raid-whore
>> WoW 2004-2009 + Cataclysm for 2 months - hardcore casual
>> Current status : done with MMO, too old for that crap.

Comments

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

Wow is still a great game to play, its difficult to say why, it's just one of the greatest games ever created

I don't play all the time, but sometimes I return to Azeroth for a few months

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• ThatimThatim Member Posts: 240

Well, I dont raid much, but I do enjoy Arena and 5 man heroics!

By the way, its a bit of stupid poll, dont you think?

• How is there not a BAAaaAAaaaAaaA I am a sheep and like games my 3 year old can play? I am sure that will get a majority of the votes since the game has no depth, and the raiding is terribly scripted now.

• Omega3Omega3 Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by Thatim

Why would it be stupid? Most of the time we see threads saying "wow  sucks", "wow is dying". I'd rather have answers to this poll.

My addiction History:

• Originally posted by Omega3

Originally posted by Thatim

Why would it be stupid? Most of the time we see threads saying "wow  sucks", "wow is dying". I'd rather have answers to this poll.

Should of truly been an option that said [I don't raid in WoW, I raid the WoW forums with truth.]

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by namelessbob
    How is there not a BAAaaAAaaaAaaA I am a sheep and like games my 3 year old can play? I am sure that will get a majority of the votes since the game has no depth, and the raiding is terribly scripted now.

YAWN! Is anyone giving awards for the most predictable reply to a poll thread??? Gees, talk about a hater 'sheep' reply, can somone herd this guy back into a pen until the next thread please?

Couldn't vote as none of the answers fitted. I play with a good group of people from across europe which is reason enough most days. I also play for the questing, cooking, fishing, running a guild to help new players, few instances, few battlegrounds, capturing a few PvP objectives, grabbing some nice gear and so on.....

I couldn't pin it down to one thing to be honest, i just enjoy the game as a whole and will do until something better comes along.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• QmireQmire Member Posts: 423

where is the option, "i just like the game in a whole"  ?

played wow since US closed beta, tried other mmo(rpg)s here and there along the way but none compared to wow sadly, they all lacked something compared to wow, even if one had a very good feature it failed in another badly, WoW is the mmorpg that pretty much tries to be as good as possible on all aspects, while other mmorpgs focus on one portion.

Only playing once a week or so but it's the only game i really want to play when i'm bored or there's nothing else to do. In other words it's a game that's still a very FUNNY and ENTERTAINING, compared to certain others.

• WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178

Because World of Warcraft is still the best mmorpg around.  Beautifull graphics (imo), awesome design, high framerates, you're in total control of your character, good pve, very few bugs, a nice interface with the ability to customize it and i also like the pvp aspect of the game.  Also, with WotLK on the horizon,  lots of awesome new gameplay elements will be added and i'm looking forward to that.  I dont give a damn about other releases  (except for Fallen Earth) and i will probably be playing this game untill the frickin servers shut down.

• naruto91234naruto91234 Member Posts: 21

None of the above, I just like playing.

• MrVicchioMrVicchio Member Posts: 598

I play because it's the only game my wife and her sister will play atm.  She doesn't like EVE, AO, DAoC, CoH/CoV and EQII bored us.  She still enjoys the game alot.  I burned out on my mage running 25 mans over and over and over and over and over and over in hopes my one time would drop so I could be just a bit better.

So now I have a belf 'lock to level (I play Alliance, those two went horde... argh) until the real MMO I want to play launches.

WAR.  I will drop my account the moment I am in, be it BETA or LIVE I am gone from WoW and I won't return.  And should WotLK launch before WAR somehow.. I won't bother with it.  I've seen all WoW can offer and grinding for gear just doesn't appeal at all to me.

Always change your signature.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

I don't.

I would, but I have completed all the content.

I'll probably give it another go after the next expansion.

As long as I could get an upgrade every day or so, I was happy to keep playing. Some of my friends play and it is an excellent game, but the progression has all but dried up for me. I could go on raiding the last two 25 dungeons for another month or two i suggest, but ultimately I can get more for my money elsewhere at this point.

Originally posted by MrVicchio
    WAR.  I will drop my account the moment I am in, be it BETA or LIVE I am gone from WoW and I won't return.  And should WotLK launch before WAR somehow.. I won't bother with it.  I've seen all WoW can offer and grinding for gear just doesn't appeal at all to me. 

Well, that is a hell of a lot of faith to put into a game that you have never played, i take my hat off to you for that one and i hope that works out for you. I too am looking forward to the release of WAR, but it will be several months before i would even think about playing it, especially after the developers asked people to lower their expectations of the game (article i read after BETA closure that i can't find now so can't back that up FYI). It can only be healthy for WoW to have a decent rival in the market, but i have my doubts that WAR will be the one at the moment.

• WagenManWagenMan Member UncommonPosts: 13

Simply put, it's fun.

I've developed something of a lifestyle looking for the holy grail of MMO's ever since Everquest. Ultima never hooked me and Meridian 59 just might have been too far ahead of it's time. When I got frustrated with EQ along came Asherons Call. Most of you know the rest of the story. Game after game, we all looked for that something special and all too often we only found dissapointment.

Wow came along right after EQ2 and after a week of non stop playing I summed up EQ2 as 'not fun'. Unless you happened to like working harder in a game than you do in real life that is. Wow instantly had something that really drew me in. Each race had a unique and very different starting place along with several levels of interesting things to see and do before joining the common areas. That was a big draw for me.

I still have 2 accounts after all this time. Why? I think I enjoyed exploring. I've only been on a hand full of raids and never really did pvp or the battlegrounds. To this day, I've never even topped out one single character. My highest is lvl 67. I was always having too much fun exploring and collecting odd things.

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion but I never understood the passion with which some of the younger players hated on Wow. I always guessed they were nursing their wounds after being banned for cheating.     Someone earlier posted about Wow's lack of depth. I don't understand that. Wow has decades of back story and characters to enjoy. The quests were fun and many of them spins on famous literature or people.  I think way too many players are so concerned about lvling that they pass everything else by - never reading the quests or stopping to enjoy the wonderfully crafted world the designers made for us to explore. They get to 70 and get bored and frustrated doing the same raids and pvp over and over again. No wonder they complain.

I've been considering canceling my accounts lately, I don't really play much anymore and I'm ready for something new.

If I could have one thing in wow - Remove all restrictions. Anyone can wear or use anything. I always hated restrictions.

There's my 2 cents.

WagenMan

Originally posted by jason_webb

Well, that is a hell of a lot of faith to put into a game that you have never played, i take my hat off to you for that one and i hope that works out for you. I too am looking forward to the release of WAR, but it will be several months before i would even think about playing it, especially after the developers asked people to lower their expectations of the game (article i read after BETA closure that i can't find now so can't back that up FYI). It can only be healthy for WoW to have a decent rival in the market, but i have my doubts that WAR will be the one at the moment.

My expectations are for a solid game that provides the playable conventions of an MMO that I enjoy, with an end game not built around static PVE "raids".  I loved DAoC's RVR and this is by all accounts a refined and better RVR with a robust PVE system.

ACES.

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

I play WoW, because it is overall the best game on the market right now. Other games have on thing or another seriously wrong with it. I'd still be playing DAoC right now if the population wasn't so low or SWG if the NGE didn't happen.

I've tried practically every game on the market in the past 6 + years and WoW remains the best overall product. My eyes are always on the next product and I am more than willing to play more than one game, but right now there is only 1 game worth subscribing to.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

Originally posted by Qmire

where is the option, "i just like the game in a whole"  ?

Simply answering both are good can do it. means you enjoy the game whatever it offers.

My addiction History:

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

My expectations are for a solid game that provides the playable conventions of an MMO that I enjoy, with an end game not built around static PVE "raids".  I loved DAoC's RVR and this is by all accounts a refined and better RVR with a robust PVE system.

ACES.

Like he said, that's a whole lot of faith based on nothing so far ;)

• Plasuma!!!Plasuma!!! Member Posts: 1,872

What's hilarious on this forum is how the people (myself included) who say "WoW sucks, stay away from this game and quit ASAP!" are constantly slapped in the face with news like "WoW reaches 10 million subscribers", yet they (unlike me) don't get the hint and don't back down at such defeating news.

If the game is so horrible, then why are subs climbing? Obviously, it's enjoyable for some. I personally don't like the game and I've previously made my points of why, but apparently those aren't reasons that others would follow my lead. That's just peachy.

When people quit the game, they have their reasons it's no longer entertaining for them. On the flip-side, other people keep playing because it still holds some entertainment value for them.

Really, is it so bad that people have fun with a game you did not?

If you're selfish, yes.

It's like sitting at a roller coaster's exit in a theme park and shouting at the riders, "You're stupid for paying to ride that! I already did it 70 times and it's BORING!!"

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Where is the option "Because it's fun!" ?

That's why I play. No other game is this fun at the moment. There is always something to do in the game and replayability is probably the highest of any game I have EVER played.

Originally posted by Pheace

ACES.

Like he said, that's a whole lot of faith based on nothing so far ;)

Do you get paid by the post or the word to troll for blizz?

6 months later...

My addiction History:

Originally posted by Omega3
    6 months later...

lol, yep and a few days after it was announced that they are now removing large amounts of content from WAR whilst making statements like "EA had nothing to do with the decision" which just tells you straight away that they did. As far as i can see the whole RvR system was based around the major cities in the game, but now they have removed four of the six original cities and four classes, including a full on racial tanking class.

Such a shame as the game was showing a lot of promise, but by the sound of it now we could be heading for another AoC situation where the players will become paying beta testers due to the game being rushed out in an infinished state. I hope i am wrong, but it is looking more and more likely that i am not.

• VicksburgVicksburg Member Posts: 181

After playing for more than 2.5 years with my main and twinks, I started leveling again.

WOW, the beauty of it all ... memories coming back.

I was thinking that everyone just plays his 70's, but it's not.... played the lower dungeons just like I did two years ago. Zul Farak now...

I can give an advice though: wait till your server gets promoted to "recommended" and within that week you'll see a mass of newly created characters.

Our server even seems to have more leveling people than 2 years ago and its even a battle for mobs now and then (always 49+ in Strangleton Vale and Tanaris in prime time).

So why do I play it? It was 2 years ago since I fought and battled in my 30's and 40's and the game just got even better.

Xfire shows Wow just can't be beaten in PURE gaming fun and addiction.