Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows updates

SinzOfManSinzOfMan Member UncommonPosts: 224

My windows updates won't install any of the updates.

Only thing I can think of.. my motherboard fried a while ago so I bought a new computer but kept my old hardrive. I let the computer store guys install everything, and I'm wondering if they messed something up.

I went to the windows update site and tried downloading manually, same results. 

Any tips?

The updates worked before I replaced my motherboard.  I'm using a legit copy of Windows XP home, now on a dell system.  My last computer wasn't dell.

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Go here www.microsoft.com/genuine/ to make sure your copy is validated through the Genuine Advantage check.

Also, make sure you are using IE6 or IE7 to access Windows Update, as it does have trouble with other browsers sometimes.

Also, if you already have SP2, go here www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx to download SP3, as it has all the previous post-SP2 fixes rolled up in it.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

What he said. I can't think of anything better to tell you. I highly doubt it's a hardware issue.

Windows really, really, really does not like other than IE browsers.

D.

• TrentasyTrentasy Member Posts: 22

hardware has nothing to do with this problem by the sounds of it, but it just might be your windows, have you made sure its a genuine copy?... what update are u trying to install the sp2 update??

• SinzOfManSinzOfMan Member UncommonPosts: 224

woa sp3? when did that come out lol.. anyways thx all, I'm up to date now.  Not sure what the problem was but it's fixed now with installin sp3.

• mmoaddict1mmoaddict1 Member Posts: 9

Yeah

I use Firefox and unistalled MSN and IE.  Weird shit is now happening with my comp nothing mjaor, just crashes more.

MMOaddict

• pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

My windows is not legit, should i install sp3?

-Would you like cheddar or swiss cheese?
    -Yes.

I wouldnt

Bill Gates is watching

LOL 

MMO

So far all i got is this win geniun thing which got blocked by my firewall. Would it like still run?

-Yes.

Not sure

give it a try

Ya i figure tho only thing that might happen is me losing time reinstalling. It's not like tabula rasa is playable...

-Yes.

Well turns out it's a beta. They don't have it in french and even if they did it says don't install this on your primary system and make backups before you do.

-Yes.