Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Layoffs & now Bankruptcy

2»

Comments

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by todeswulf

More proof that a MMo based soley on PVP will fail every single time.

And games that were all PVE did so well right?  Horizons.....

Like someone else said, if you make a crappy game regardless of what it is,  And also fail to market it correctly ofcourse your game will fail.  Also when 1/2 the people that try to play it complain that they cannot even run it, then guess what...

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by bverji

Originally posted by Shiineko

A mmo based soley on pvp will fail each time.... There's plenty of PvE only mmo's out there that have failed big time, too... does that mean the PvE genre is a failure?

No. Judge games based on their gameplay and appearance, not their genre.  This isn't really one of the best games out there and it gets quite dull.

That's a poor reactionary analogy. Sure there have been PVE games that have failed, but there have also been many PVE MMO's that have done very well. While I don't agree that a PVP MMO can't be successful at least I can admit that his observation is correect; thus far there haven't been any PVP focused MMO that haven't underformed.

Name some PVE MMO's that are without PVP and have done WELL.  And don't come here will Sims Online or Second life crap.  Names some real MMORPG's.

And as far as MMO's that were PVP more the PVE and did well I guess DAOC, UO, Asheron's Call, EVE, Lineage 1 and Lineage 2 where complete failures then huh?....

Keep trying carebears no one is really listening, no high Sub MMORPG out right now is without some form of PVP.  And those that tried to do it (EQ2/COH) quickly learned that was a foolish chooice and added PVP very soon after launch.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771
    Originally posted by Tinybina

A mmo based soley on pvp will fail each time.... There's plenty of PvE only mmo's out there that have failed big time, too... does that mean the PvE genre is a failure?

No. Judge games based on their gameplay and appearance, not their genre.  This isn't really one of the best games out there and it gets quite dull.

That's a poor reactionary analogy. Sure there have been PVE games that have failed, but there have also been many PVE MMO's that have done very well. While I don't agree that a PVP MMO can't be successful at least I can admit that his observation is correect; thus far there haven't been any PVP focused MMO that haven't underformed.

Name some PVE MMO's that are without PVP and have done WELL.  And don't come here will Sims Online or Second life crap.  Names some real MMORPG's. Name some PVP MMO's that are without PVE and have done WELL.  And don't come here will (with not will) CounterStrike or Battlefield.  Name (no s) some real MMORPG's.

And as far as MMO's that were PVP more the PVE and did well I guess DAOC, UO, Asheron's Call, EVE, Lineage 1 and Lineage 2 where complete failures then huh?....  Oh yeah these games combine and twist PVP and PVE inside a unique blend, its not the PVP or PVE that sells, its the game as a whole.  Try sell the BMW without tires and gearbox. huh? ...

Keep trying carebears no one is really listening, no high Sub MMORPG out right now is without some form of PVP.  And those that tried to do it (EQ2/COH) quickly learned that was a foolish chooice and added PVP very soon after launch. I would not want to paraphase this insulting statement of yours, I prefer to reason not to call names.  If you like PVP focus on the PVP content, others prefer to spend their own time on PVE and PVP as they please.  No need to call each other carebears or something, that only makes you look intolerant.  As for EQ2/COH, I understand that its PVE that occupied a lot more of the gamer population, than PVP.  The examples seems to dispel your line of argument rather than support it.

• x_purelife_xx_purelife_x Member Posts: 6

umm...hello? Rakion and Shadow Bane those are pvp based games which are still alive. Fury was based on a great idea but its just a bad game and no suprise on Auran going broke, they printed on the box of fury: Free to play pvp mmo and down below near the bottom of the box in size two letters was: optional subscription available for enhanced features. The box also states: three unique game modes. 1. They are'nt unique, they're just variants of already available pvp modes 2. It does not say that they are the only game modes. Also printed was fair matchmaking, this did not happen i was contueally placed in battle against  high leveled veterans in all 3 game modes. Also after  the Age of chosen update i struggles to patch fury and Aurans customer support was useless i waited 2 weeks and still no reply. So now im very angry and havent even flinched at hearing Auran have been filed for bankrupcy

Originally posted by cptgame

I like PvP only game and I hate PvE. PvE are too repetitive and PvE centric games are only for retards.

• LiquidvisonLiquidvison Member Posts: 112

you cant say any game based soley on pvp will fail, biggest reason? because its one game from one company....that dosent mean others will fail....i mean if a fps fails horribly it dosnt mean that others will follow.....i think WAR will be a highly sucessfull game its based primaily on pvp with some pve elements mixed into it....id like to see aoc and war do equally as well and finally put an end to wow....i played wow for a long time but primaly for the pvp....pve is just not for me....spending 4+hrs in an instance for a chance to get a weapon is such a waste of my time...was alot funnier before the expansion to reach GM and have leet gear

• FutballerFutballer Member Posts: 19

lol people that say they hate this game sure have a lot to say about it.  if you don't care, then go play another game, obviously this one isn't for you. 

• einexileeinexile Member UncommonPosts: 197

Originally posted by Salvatoris

Now they all have to go jump on the darkfall fanboy bandwagon...  Or whichever no-name published PvP-heavy MMO is coming out (and promptly failing) next.

Why the hell would you hate on Darkfall in any context having to do with Fury? Vaporware or no, Darkfall (in theory and we hope) is all about variety, freedom, chance, and surprises. Fury is no more PvP or MMO than Halo or your neighborhood basketball courts.

It was even marketed to people who hate MMOs. All this railing against grinding along with the usual forum QQ about skill vs. time investment - as if winning a video game because of skill is somehow more respectable. Any good PvPer knows true skill takes longer to acquire than elite gear anyway. Grinding and raiding are one way for people who lack those skills to compete in the same game.

How is it grinding anyway if you like what you're doing? By the time you reach a level cap you pretty much know what you like. People who spend long hours doing things they honestly dislike are crazy, and there really aren't very many of them. Fighting monsters has always been fun and it always will be. In modern MMOs that means fighting a variety of monsters in a variety of locales under constant threat of attack by other players. Fury's genius marketing strategy was to attack this - to attack the MMO as an institution, for its merits.

Their superior alternative? Deathmatches in closed arenas, and nothing else.

Darkfall's entire publicity campaign is about a lifting of restrictions. Total freedom; go where you please, do as you please, and what happens happens. A pipe dream? Maybe, but one based on a love of the form rather than a seething bitterness towards it - and one they're certainly taking their sweet time to complete.

einexile the meek
    Vacuos, Winterlong, Vaciante, Eicosapenta
    Atlantean, Tyranny, Malton

• bverjibverji Member UncommonPosts: 722

Originally posted by Tinybina

Name some PVE MMO's that are without PVP and have done WELL.  And don't come here will Sims Online or Second life crap.  Names some real MMORPG's.

And as far as MMO's that were PVP more the PVE and did well I guess DAOC, UO, Asheron's Call, EVE, Lineage 1 and Lineage 2 where complete failures then huh?....

Keep trying carebears no one is really listening, no high Sub MMORPG out right now is without some form of PVP.  And those that tried to do it (EQ2/COH) quickly learned that was a foolish chooice and added PVP very soon after launch.

Well first UO, Daoc, Asheron's, eve all had very extensive PVE aspects to the game where PVP was mostly secondary. As for games that have been successful before they had added PVP (they may have added PVP later ) EQ, COH, PSU, there are other games that have been sucessfull where the PVP was a very small portion of the game SWG, AO, EQ2.  The games that did add PVP such as COH, EQ2 the people who use the PVP system with any regularity are a very small percentage.

• BedaBeda Member Posts: 86

I downloaded Fury yesterday and decided to give it a try.  Now I went in open minded and was actually pretty interested in the concept.  So, I got to the character customization screen and was like ...ok, nothing special, but picked my character and went into the game.  I played for a bit and picked a class...think it was a destroyer.  Went into 1 vs 1 and fought against some dude who was a mezzer type caster and got my butt beat twice and the game was over.  I wasn't even able to get one hit in.  So I left out of there and went into the que for a team type match fighting bots to get these little red things....we won the match but after that was over, I was like wtf.  It was straight up boring.  It was nothing but running, mash buttons, running, mash more buttons.  I didn't know what I was hitting, I just hit buttons and hoped I killed something.  There was no sense of self satisfaction in this so i decided to uninstall the game and move on to something else.  The game is missing some element of captivation and I don't know what it is.  I guess I just didn't like it.  And I can see why these guys are bitting the big one and losing people.