Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE to be offered on STEAM with 21 day trial!

2»

Comments

• swainiacswainiac Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by Taram

Originally posted by METALDRAG0N

Originally posted by swainiac

Originally posted by Lordmonkus

I am glad to see Eve on Steam. When Steam first came out I didn't like it much but since picking up Orange Box and seeing the latest Steam I have changed how I feel about it. Steam has matured into a great distribution platform for games. The more players that come to Eve the better even if some of them are immature kiddies. Those that are truly immature and seeking the instant gratification of CS and WoW will leave soon enough so it will be a non issue. Immature losers exist in all games.
    As for the comment about Eve should be f2p I just have to ask. Are you freakin serious ? Have you ever played the game ? This isn't some crap farmfest like Dungeon Runners here. CCP deserves every dollar they get for this game. The servers needed to run Eve is not some piece of shit 5 year old desktop you can just throw in the closet and let it run. Eves servers are the best of any mmo on the market and yes they are better than WoWs. Eve has a 2 week free trial and will be 3 weeks through steam while just about every other mmo out there gives you 7 days at best. Eve also only costs 20$ to buy and includes the first month and Steam will have a 5 dollars off deal basically making the game free to buy, just pay the monthly fee. Hell if you wanted to farm up 390 million isk in game you can use that and buy a 90 day time card so you can technically pay the game for free if you like to farm. Name one other AAA mmo out there that even comes close to the bargain that Eve is.

Free to buy sounds like an interesting pay structure - lol.

What I meant by it being F2P was that it is generally seen as a lower pop game with under 200,000 subs (http://mmogdata.voig.com/) it would look to benefit from mini transactions or a financial platform similar to GW's.

I realize the EVE fanbois will attack all posts of this nature but it is not a bad idea to populate a game with more people. More people could possibly make up for some of the weaknesses of EVE.

This is my opinion anyway (as it is my post). you are entitled to yours.

I cant help pointing out that MMOGDATA is pretty out of date numbers wise.

MMOGDATA is woefully out of date.  EVE has, confirmed, over 245,000 active accounts.  As of 2 months ago. 

LOL - woefully out of date??? The numbers are off by only 45k. that would actually be very accurate then. Woefully out of date would be like 100k or more off. EVE shows up as 200,000 on mmogdata.

Regardless let me point out that I am not bashing the game or its players - only that a F2P structure would be better for EVE. You can all disagree but attacks are unnecessary. I am not commenting on the game or it's community.

I made a joke about the Free to Buy option because it was funny not because I felt you were saying it for real.

Chill people. We are allowed to have differing opinions.

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

It doesn't matter what the numbers are. The fact still remains the servers required to run Eve are not cheap at all and are going to be even more expensive later this year when the new super computer servers come. Plus as its been stated technically you can play the game totally for free if you so choose to. Download the free trial and start paying with time cards which you can buy with in game money. No real world money would ever have to leave your hands and no nickel and dime ass micro transactions or ads in the game. The best of both worlds with none of the shit.

• swainiacswainiac Member Posts: 120

It doesn't matter what the numbers are. The fact still remains the servers required to run Eve are not cheap at all and are going to be even more expensive later this year when the new super computer servers come. Plus as its been stated technically you can play the game totally for free if you so choose to. Download the free trial and start paying with time cards which you can buy with in game money. No real world money would ever have to leave your hands and no nickel and dime ass micro transactions or ads in the game. The best of both worlds with none of the shit.

I was unaware of this option. Thanks for the insight. I will then relent and say that EVE has a F2P option. My point is supported by the game itself - imagine that.

Your point is only partially supported but all the f2p mmos out there you are nickel and dimed to death or forced to see ads which are the types of models all other f2p mmos follow and is most definately one CCP should never ever consider. I highly doubt they ever would anyways.

Just because you buy game time cards with in game money this isn't to say that you are buying those cards directly from CCP. Those time cards are bought with real money by someone and then sold in game for in game money. CCP still gets the real world money from the cards.

At this point we are arguing over the details but as they say the devil is in the details.

• MiasmaMiasma Member UncommonPosts: 16

Considering most people who play apps religiously on Steam have the attention span of a retarded goldfish, I don't think this is going to generate as much long-term revenue as they would like. I can see the hoard of CS kiddies going, "OMG U FKN HEADSHOT ME WITH YOUR AIM BOT HAX! I HAD A UBER NANO VAGA WITH MASSIVE TRANSVERSE AND YOU COULD NEVER HIT ME UNLESS U HAX WITH AIMBOT!"

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Miasma

Considering most people who play apps religiously on Steam have the attention span of a retarded goldfish, I don't think this is going to generate as much long-term revenue as they would like. I can see the hoard of CS kiddies going, "OMG U FKN HEADSHOT ME WITH YOUR AIM BOT HAX! I HAD A UBER NANO VAGA WITH MASSIVE TRANSVERSE AND YOU COULD NEVER HIT ME UNLESS U HAX WITH AIMBOT!"

uhhh....I'm a day one eve vet and I'm also a CS player, almost half of the games I buy now are on steam, it's a great distribution platform. Jesus people who think steam = cs kiddies make my brain hurt.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

I've never competed in the special olympics so I won't get drawn into a pointless internet debate either. However I wasn't trying to be an elitist douchebag at all. I have a Steam account, and I play and enjoy FPS's too. But I know that is what Steam started out as and it is still a prevalent part of the service and community. That being said, certainly not all of the community of Steam are OCD punks slamming down Mountain Dew by the case, but I've run into more than a few that fit that mold, and it only takes a few bad apples as the say... at least to give a bad impression. Anyhow, like I said, the exposure will be good for EVE Online, so that's good enough reason for me.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• RazotRazot Member Posts: 81

Anything that helps the game grow i support!

TBH i really felt that EVE was kinda at its peak then Trinity hit and with the Avatar thingy coming one of these days i think EVE has barley scratched the surface on how big this game is going to get...

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

I buy from Steam on occasion and wouldn't consider myself a retarted goldfish. Steam has some really good deals when it comes to gamepacks. The Orange Box comes to mind. Plus the ID superpack is a really good deal (Doom Series, Quake Series), and Rockstar game pack is good too if you haven't played any of the GTA series or Max Payne. Plus I don't have to search around for a cd to play the game.

IMO digital download services like Steam will become the distribution choice by game developers because it uses a type of DRM technology where a game can't be pirated. Mainly because you have to log into the service to play.

• KulthosKulthos Member Posts: 89

Considering the lag issues and the fact that EVE is not mainstream in terms of death penalty and PvP, why are they trying to get a bunch of mainstream people playing it?  They are going to generate a lot of annoyed people who troll the boards when they figure out that the game has next to no PvE content and extremely primitive AI on the PvE enemies they do have.

Also, with a PvP game like EVE, can the server actually handle many more people before it gets too crowded?  In other MMOs you need more PvP servers for the same number of people, as a PvP server can't handle anywhere near the population of a PvE server. 

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

I beg to differ, there's tons of "PvE" content in EVE. It's just that the best PvE content will inevitably force you into a possible PvP situation because the best PvE content brings you progressively further and further into low sec and eventually null space.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Originally posted by swainiac

LOL - woefully out of date??? The numbers are off by only 45k. that would actually be very accurate then. Woefully out of date would be like 100k or more off. EVE shows up as 200,000 on mmogdata.

Regardless let me point out that I am not bashing the game or its players - only that a F2P structure would be better for EVE. You can all disagree but attacks are unnecessary. I am not commenting on the game or it's community.
    I made a joke about the Free to Buy option because it was funny not because I felt you were saying it for real.
    Chill people. We are allowed to have differing opinions.

How on earth do you think being free to play would help EVE?  There's no way in hell they could provide the game on a free to play basis.  Some other MMO's have lots of room for error and a lot of leeway in bandwidth and server power.  EVE doesn't... in fact they're having to have a super-computer built just to run the game with the added load it has now.  On top of revamping their code on a regular basis to try to streamline things.

No way CCP would be able to fund this game on any of the various free to play methods unless it had a sudden drop in playerbase to 2004/2005 levels.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

Originally posted by Kulthos

Considering the lag issues and the fact that EVE is not mainstream in terms of death penalty and PvP, why are they trying to get a bunch of mainstream people playing it?  They are going to generate a lot of annoyed people who troll the boards when they figure out that the game has next to no PvE content and extremely primitive AI on the PvE enemies they do have.
    Also, with a PvP game like EVE, can the server actually handle many more people before it gets too crowded?  In other MMOs you need more PvP servers for the same number of people, as a PvP server can't handle anywhere near the population of a PvE server. 

Wow, you are still spewing crap that you know nothing of. Lag is only an issue in 2 places in the game. Jita on the weekends with 1400+ people in system and extremely large scale combat (read - 500+ people in a single system fighting). I would hardly consider most steam people mainstream, in fact I would consider Steam people to more of the hardcore game player base out there. When I think of mainstream gamers I think of WoW, Guitar Hero and Mario players. The only people they are going to annoy and will troll the boards when they figure out Eve isn't what they want it to be will be people like yourself and frankly who cares about those people ? Im sure CCP does not care for whiners like yourself anyways or they would have turned Eve into WoW in space already.

How do you figure a pvp server can't handle more players than a pve server ? Do you actually stop to think about what you are saying ? Eve already proves their servers can handle more people in a single world than any other MMO on the market and Eve is a pvp game unlike games like WoW which is predominantly pve in nature. Their database server handles more market transactions on a daily base than any other game on the market. Server performance is awesome aside from the 2 examples of lag given already above and is going to get even better later this year when the new super computer servers come online.

I will give you 1 point however. The pve content in Eve is lacking compared to other games out there with its bad ai but then again it's not like the big bad raid bosses and mob ai from WoW is that much better, All their abilities are on timers and as long as you know where to stand and when during an encounter the only thing making the boss fights hard is relying the other 24 people in your raid to be in the right place at the right time as well. But then that is why Eve is a pvp game and will never become the loot farm time sinks like WoW and other MMOs and will also be why in 5+ years Eve will still be around bigger and better than ever when Blizzard launches World of Starcraft which will be WoW in space. And yes it will have a larger player base and make more money than Eve but that still won't mean it's better. To paraphrase what someone posted in one thread on these forums a while ago "just because McDonalds sells more burgers than everyone else that does not mean they make the best burgers in the world"

Wow, you are still spewing crap that you know nothing of. Lag is only an issue in 2 places in the game. Jita on the weekends with 1400+ people in system and extremely large scale combat (read - 500+ people in a single system fighting).

How do you figure a pvp server can't handle more players than a pve server ?
    I will give you 1 point however. The pve content in Eve is lacking compared to other games out there with its bad ai but then again it's not like the big bad raid bosses and mob ai from WoW is that much better,

So, lag is only a problem where everybody is (Jita) and in the fights that count.  That's nice.

PvP servers can handle a smaller population than a PvE server because things get crowded fast in a PvP server when the other players are your biggest problem.  Ina  PvE server you are limited only by the number of mobs and drops and the people trying to get them.  Imagine EVE if every gate out of lowsec was camped 24/7.

EVE is a PVP game with some easy PvE for grinding.   The EVE AI is embarassing.  A frigate with 1/4 structure left will keep chasing you.  In MUDs in the early 90's many mobs knew to run away when they got hurt badly.  In WoW mostly only animals and undead mindlessly fight until the end.  Many humanoids run for friends if you aren't careful, making the fights more complex.  EVE has webifers and other tools to keep the enemies from escaping, but you don't need them.  In EVE you can mount long guns and shoot things from long range and only get hit when you are afterburning your way out of the enemy's range.  The enemies mindlessly chase you even when you are pounding them from a safe distance. If a damaged enemy ran, forcing you to go to short range with it's allies if you want to kill it, that would be a huge improvement.  As it is, get some railguns and an afterburner and clean up.

*sigh* at this point you are a total moron. As I have already said I agree that in comparison to other mmos the ai in Eve is lacking but that's not to say the ai in other games is a real challenge either. I'll take a raid instance here for example. Some trash mobs may run or call for help within range of other mobs but when it comes to the so called difficult boss fights the boss does not run away or call for other mobs unless its part of the scripted fight. Its just a matter of everyone having good enough gear and knowing where to stand at what times, nothing more complex than that. If that is your idea of awesome ai I really fou feel bad for you.

AI in Eve maybe stupid but this isn't a pve game, never has been and never will be but the pve in the game is not that far off of a game like WoW which is designed to be a pve game.

Yes the lag is in Jita on the weekends with 1400 plus people doing an assload of market transactions every minute. Of course there is lag. This is not a fault of CCPs and and any other game out there if they had such a complex economy and trading system as Eve would suffer the exact same issues. This is also something that is being worked on by CCP by getting a new super computer server and also working on ideas to move the people out of Jita without resorting to simply increasing taxes on goods in the system.

Yes lag in large scale fleet pvp (500+ people). Name one game out there that could handle a battle even half that size. There is a reason Blizzard moved PvP in the BGs, and this is because of the horrendous lag during the old TM vs SS fights causing the servers to crash. If you had 500+ people fighting in one place in WoW it would be the same thing as in Eve. Again this isn't the fault of CCP in any way and they are doing something about it with their new servers coming later this year.

Keep in mind that these lag issues are only in those selected systems and not the entire game world where as in WoW you would crash the world server for that continent the battle is on basically shutting down 1/2 of the world at that time and now 1/3 of the game world. In Eve 2 this is only 2 systems or maybe a couple of more if there are several large scale fleet fights happening out of what, over 5000 systems.

*sigh* at this point you are a total moron. As I have already said I agree that in comparison to other mmos the ai in Eve is lacking but that's not to say the ai in other games is a real challenge either. I'll take a raid instance here for example. Some trash mobs may run or call for help within range of other mobs but when it comes to the so called difficult boss fights the boss does not run away or call for other mobs unless its part of the scripted fight. Its just a matter of everyone having good enough gear and knowing where to stand at what times, nothing more complex than that. If that is your idea of awesome ai I really fou feel bad for you.
    AI in Eve maybe stupid but this isn't a pve game, never has been and never will be but the pve in the game is not that far off of a game like WoW which is designed to be a pve game.
    Yes the lag is in Jita on the weekends with 1400 plus people doing an assload of market transactions every minute. Of course there is lag. This is not a fault of CCPs and and any other game out there if they had such a complex economy and trading system as Eve would suffer the exact same issues. This is also something that is being worked on by CCP by getting a new super computer server and also working on ideas to move the people out of Jita without resorting to simply increasing taxes on goods in the system.
    Yes lag in large scale fleet pvp (500+ people). Name one game out there that could handle a battle even half that size. There is a reason Blizzard moved PvP in the BGs, and this is because of the horrendous lag during the old TM vs SS fights causing the servers to crash. If you had 500+ people fighting in one place in WoW it would be the same thing as in Eve. Again this isn't the fault of CCP in any way and they are doing something about it with their new servers coming later this year.
    Keep in mind that these lag issues are only in those selected systems and not the entire game world where as in WoW you would crash the world server for that continent the battle is on basically shutting down 1/2 of the world at that time and now 1/3 of the game world. In Eve 2 this is only 2 systems or maybe a couple of more if there are several large scale fleet fights happening out of what, over 5000 systems.

So, you are calling me a moron but you agree with me.  Interesting.

Yup you're a moron because only someone as stupid as you would take 1 point of partial agreement as being in total agreement.  Yes Eves npc ai maybe lacking but don't act like other mmo ai is something worth calling intelligent. Whining about Eves ai would be like whining about how bad WoWs pvp is. Both games are clearly designed around different goals and the opposite aspect of the game suffers because of it.

Well I hope I gave you enough entertainment value for your trolling efforts because it is the last you will receive from me. Clearly you have nothing better to do than to troll a forum for a game you do not like for your pleasure.

• RayalistRayalist Member Posts: 211

Just block him. He has nothing of value to say.

Oh don't worry I am done with him.

Now since this thread got so far off topic I thought I would bring it back on topic with a link to the official Steam thread from the Eve forums with answers to the most common questions and concerns that have been brought up. myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp

The biggest concern initially was having to use Steam to launch and log into Eve along with patch downloading but these concerns have been answered and Steam will only be a distribution platform only. Steam will not have to be on your system for anything if you do not want it on there.

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

EVE's server was too crowded for me and too much lag, they need to make a few more.

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210
    Originally posted by slannmage

EVE's server was too crowded for me and too much lag, they need to make a few more.

That would destroy the claim of being a one server game though...   And the only place that is that bad is Jita anyway, most places aren't bad at all, but the closer you get to jita, the more overspill you get from the crowds

imageimage

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840
    Originally posted by Lonesamurai1

That would destroy the claim of being a one server game though...   And the only place that is that bad is Jita anyway, most places aren't bad at all, but the closer you get to jita, the more overspill you get from the crowds

unfortionately Jita is a bit close to some starting areas, so you get the lag impretion. Hell i recently had a lvl 1 agent give me a combat mission in Jita itself.

Have you read any of the posts by people that explain why a new server would ruin Eve ? Also have you ever considered that there are other regions of space to move to with zero lag (or as close to it as you can get in any online game because all have some)?

If in fact you were in Jita you can move, Jita isn't the only place to trade and do business or run missions. The server isn't too crowded or laggy. Jita and immediate nearby systems are and for the time being will be when 1400+ people are there on the weekends. You have 2 choices, stay there and moan about the lag or move and do something elsewhere with no lag. I live in Minmatar space lag free only a few jumps away from Rens, another major trade hub. It's a huge universe out there, go find a system that suits you.

Have you read any of the posts by people that explain why a new server would ruin Eve ? Also have you ever considered that there are other regions of space to move to with zero lag (or as close to it as you can get in any online game because all have some)?

If in fact you were in Jita you can move, Jita isn't the only place to trade and do business or run missions. The server isn't too crowded or laggy. Jita and immediate nearby systems are and for the time being will be when 1400+ people are there on the weekends. You have 2 choices, stay there and moan about the lag or move and do something elsewhere with no lag. I live in Minmatar space lag free only a few jumps away from Rens, another major trade hub. It's a huge universe out there, go find a system that suits you.

I am amused by the fact that when people point out a problem, EVE players make excuses.  Jita has lag, and people cram into Jita for a good reason based on game mechanics. 

The huge problem is that because you have to travel to the point of sale to buy things one place had to be the hub of commerce, forcing people to go to that one place.  If there was a galactic FedEx that shipped you your one component from that station three jumps away, Jita wouldn't have a gazzillion people crammed into one system.  Real life has services that will send you your one cheap item quickly.  If you could sit in a station and order your components and have them sent quickly to you, that would be a lot like ordering things online and having Fed Ex deliver it.  Too crazy for EVE?  I do it at work all the time.  Before you whine about "Some people work as haulers" I mean one or two items within a few minutes, not a thousand tons of stuff in a few days.

Excuses ? What excuses did I make ? I merely stated why there is lag there (any other game would have the exact same lag with that many people in one place) and I gave you an option to actually leave Jita. No excuses made at all.

You do not have to buy in Jita. Jita doesn't necessarily have the best prices and if something is the absolute best price it can more than likely be found elsewhere for marginally more expensive. Well worth not going there IMO. I just got back from a little trip over there to actually see the prices on things and found the prices on the things I wanted to buy to be slightly more than I could have bought them for in my home region. The lag wasn't even that terrible and that is with over 1100 people in system, it was more of a frame rate issue with so many models on screen than lag itself.

Protip: Low framerates != lag, they are completely different issues.

So if I did suggest hiring someone to haul it for you that would constitute whining to you ? I guess in your world a suggestion is whining

You are the one whining, wah Jita is laggy, wah fix it, wah im too lazy to go elsewhere wahh. News flash for you. It's being worked on, or did you not pay attention to that fact ? New servers are coming and the devs stated at fanfest they wanted to move people out of Jita with proper game mechanics and not just simply taxing the goods traded in system.

I guess it's a good thing you don't play the game since you clearly hate it so much, no point in paying for a game you don't like right ? That just leaves you whining about a game you don't play ?