Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here is what housing may look like in WoW

JBO1JBO1 Member Posts: 277

Got this off the main website from an online interview done recently.

http://www.blizzard.com/wow/fansitechat-040726.shtml

[GilS.PR] What are the plans for Housing in the World of Warcraft?

[Katricia] Player housing will not be available until after World of Warcraft has been released. Our plan is to add player housing in a future live update or expansion. Our current idea (which could change) is to extend the cities to have player housing neighborhoods. For example, in the canal area of Stormwind players can see a blue instance portal behind a large portcullis; this is the entrance to the player housing neighborhood in Stormwind.

Sounds like they will be going for instance housing to solve the clutter problem. Guess it is better than having tract homes uglifiying the landscape.

Comments

• LugnardLugnard Member Posts: 474

Originally posted by JBO1

Sounds like they will be going for instance housing to solve the clutter problem. Guess it is better than having tract homes uglifiying the landscape.

Yea, they seem to be doing it the way DAoC did it and that's been the best way so far (although, I hope they don't make it hard to find certain houses similar to DAoC's problems). It gives enough space for everyone and doesn't ruin the environment. It's worked so far in the past so why fix something not broken?

• LoStCaUz3LoStCaUz3 Member Posts: 1,154

Yeah. It will seem kind of like a neighborhood. Better for RP purposes too. I wouldn't want to see a Tauren house set right outside Stormwind or something. That would be kind of weak.

I did like how you could choose where to put your house in SWG, but after I saw houses on the very top of mountains, in the middle of a volcano, and right through a tree, I figured it wouldn't be the best thing to do for WoW.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Am I the only one who completely does not care about housing? I mean, its a personalized bank, whopie do. In SWG I had my own house, with my own furniture, and my own base, with my own army of stormtroopers and such, and it made absolutely no difference. It was fun for maybe a week while the nostaliga wore off, and then the game went back to being the same old same old. What is the big obsession with giving players their own house? Just wasted development time if you ask me.

--------------------------------------
    Played: AC1, DAoC, E&B, SWG
    Tested: AC1, AC2, DAoC, Eve, Planetside, Rubies, Lineage 2, MU Online

• JBO1JBO1 Member Posts: 277

Originally posted by Annex1
    Am I the only one who completely does not care about housing? I mean, its a personalized bank, whopie do. In SWG I had my own house, with my own furniture, and my own base, with my own army of stormtroopers and such, and it made absolutely no difference. It was fun for maybe a week while the nostaliga wore off, and then the game went back to being the same old same old. What is the big obsession with giving players their own house? Just wasted development time if you ask me.--------------------------------------

Ya I'm there with you on that for the most part. Left SWG three weeks ago never turned back, when I gave my house to a fellow guild member I realized it was really filled with alot of stuf 99% of the people in my guild never saw and did my character no good. It' was good for extra storage when my bank filled up but I never used it for meetings and it's not like I got an extra healing bonus for resting in it.

I guess what it comes down to is that some people do want it and developers are more and more giving in to it. I probably will have a house again, but this time mainly for storage of extra important items...why not if they are going to have them, why not use them??

• LugnardLugnard Member Posts: 474

Originally posted by Annex1

Am I the only one who completely does not care about housing? I mean, its a personalized bank, whopie do. In SWG I had my own house, with my own furniture, and my own base, with my own army of stormtroopers and such, and it made absolutely no difference. It was fun for maybe a week while the nostaliga wore off, and then the game went back to being the same old same old. What is the big obsession with giving players their own house? Just wasted development time if you ask me.
    --------------------------------------

I don't care much for housing either (I would never own one in-game anyways) but I do like the aspect of Guild Halls where you can actually have good, private places for guild meetings anyways instead of out infront of some dank dungeon... image

• LoStCaUz3LoStCaUz3 Member Posts: 1,154
    Houses are right on the bottom of the things that NEED to be in this game. If they are in, yay. If they are out, it doesn't matter to me. I just like the idea of how they are planning on making the housing and also, the Guild Halls, too. I wonder if you can like lock the door so everyone would need a key or something. That would be like a passworded channel or something.

• VakktnVakktn Member Posts: 746
    I only used my house in SWG (And 9 Factories) for storage. and most of them were always full including my bank and backpack. I was a pack rat LOL. I never got rid of anything. I had weapons and stuff from day one a year later. Still had a "Prenerf" probot in my datapad as well. Thats all they are good for anyways. Storing stuff! Thats about it. Only way other then storage is for RPing purposes but most people dont RP.

---------------------------------

"Those who brake the ninja code and rules of this world are called trash. But you know what? Those who don't take care of their comrades are even lower than trash." - Hatake Kakashi

• vamsevamse Member Posts: 97
    some people do not care about housing..other do, so implementing it into the game attracks more player, because it is a feature :) as with all features, if you do not like it, dont use it, if you do like it..its there. you have to choice to use it and thats what matters.

• RegusRegus Member Posts: 489

I don't really care about housing but when it is implemented it is an extra reason to check out a game, haveing my own house is not really that important but building is what i love. Making houses, guildhalls, castles,.... I like to do this because you can walk by it and say to yourself I build this (also an extra reason to defend that town with your life).

Luckely not everyone wants to have a house otherwise half of the world is full with houses. I like their idea of neighboorhoods, living together with a lot of people around you.

One day all will die, surely you but never I.

"One day all will die, surely you but never I." Wheel of Time