Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

only swg!!

I can't believe this forum has a room for disgruntled players and it has over 35k posts in it!!  I played this game back in the day and I agree that I think this game was the first, biggest, and most unfortunate of the games that really let the community down after SOE got involved.

That being said, there are more avid players still bitter than any other game I have seen too.  This game as it was, will never exist again as long as the title is owned by SOE.  No other title can ever really replace the universe of SW, and that just sucks that this game went astray from it's potential!!

Elite poster by 82

Comments

• Mupp3nMupp3n Member Posts: 56
    Originally posted by smitty0356

I can't believe this forum has a room for disgruntled players and it has over 35k posts in it!!  I played this game back in the day and I agree that I think this game was the first, biggest, and most unfortunate of the games that really let the community down after SOE got involved.
    That being said, there are more avid players still bitter than any other game I have seen too.  This game as it was, will never exist again as long as the title is owned by SOE.  No other title can ever really replace the universe of SW, and that just sucks that this game went astray from it's potential!!

Shouldn't blame SoE imo, blame the one Making the Decision about the changes.

SoE Are great imo. Atleast they and Turbine are the greatest imo, could count NcSoft to..

And im playing SWG atm, i find it being good.

And psssst: Forget the past, you wont get happniess by throwing out negativity!

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Not only 35k over there but also 80k+  of  this forum are part of  what vets think how  this game can be fixed  :)

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• zabrakwithzabrakwith Member Posts: 62

I think the saddest thing is that we will never see another game like SWG again.  We'll never see a game with so many professions in a skill tree based system that was a completely open-ended experience.  We're going to see dumbed down WoW clones.  When are these companies going to realize that WoW is the exception rather than the rule, and companies like SOE should have been happy with a 200k-300k playerbase and built from there.  If they woud have added some of the things from the NGE (quests and some ideas) on top of the pre-cu system the game would be doing very well today.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by Mupp3n

LucasArts had a huge part in the decision to the 'Star WoWs' changes.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• saaysaay Member Posts: 455
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Not only 35k over there but also 80k+  of  this forum are part of  what vets think how  this game can be fixed  :)

rofl, i cant help but laugh at that. Vets either post here proclaiming the game has less than 10k players or other blatant lies, or they come here to give their detailed and rational plan on how to fix it: "ROLLBACK"

• iwantmyswgiwantmyswg Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by saay

rofl, i cant help but laugh at that. Vets either post here proclaiming the game has less than 10k players or other blatant lies, or they come here to give their detailed and rational plan on how to fix it: "ROLLBACK"

why it does.

go to any server that is not bria and maybe bloodfin and you will see that no one plays.

i will tell all of you this much. i will with my friends acc go to every server and take screen shots of theed and coronet the two main hang outs in game and show how many people are left in swg. so then people who want to join the game will see that no one plays it.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

SoE Are great imo. Atleast they and Turbine are the greatest imo, could count NcSoft to..

Not really sure if you were being completely sarcastic or not. However, SoE are the bane of anything MMO. You should look at their track record. They buy EVERY MMO they believe will do or is doing well. Then they either fire the current developers for that game or they put "suits" behind the pre-existing developers and tell them the route they are to take the game.......or they're fired.

Track Record for killing great games:

-EQ

-EQ2 was bad, then they stepped off with the suits

-MXO

-Vanguard, can't really blame them...was an early release and bad engine bugs, but hey....it's owned by SOE

-Planetside, the abandoned primary SOE title

-SWG, the game that shall never be mentioned again

So tell me exactly HOW is SOE great?! Considering every game they produce (two) or bought have died or are in the process of dieing? With Eq2 the ONLY exception that is meagerly holding on?

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Not really sure if you were being completely sarcastic or not. However, SoE are the bane of anything MMO. You should look at their track record. They buy EVERY MMO they believe will do or is doing well. Then they either fire the current developers for that game or they put "suits" behind the pre-existing developers and tell them the route they are to take the game.......or they're fired.

-EQ

-MXO

-Vanguard, can't really blame them...was an early release and bad engine bugs, but hey....it's owned by SOE

So tell me exactly HOW is SOE great?! Considering every game they produce (two) or bought have died or are in the process of dieing? With Eq2 the ONLY exception that is meagerly holding on?

They're not doing too badly, thats all i can say, the company as a whole is fairly successful (not compared to blizzard obviously) whether you want to accept it or not and whether you think they screwed up each of their games or not.

Simply the game mechanics of current game are very limited. A pig can never learn how to fly its life is to live in dirt.

Take the core elements of  PRE CU and you on the right way to build an exceptional good game.

Why play the current mediocre game ? waste of time.

-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

-EQ

-MXO

They're not doing too badly, thats all i can say, the company as a whole is fairly successful (not compared to blizzard obviously) whether you want to accept it or not and whether you think they screwed up each of their games or not.

Any proof ?

The different  games could do far better without $OE label on them (excluding EQ like always).

They just buy gamesto add to station and then destroy them by mismanagement and wrong concepts.

• iwantmyswgiwantmyswg Member Posts: 301

-EQ

-MXO

and look at how great all of those games have done.

everquest was once the world of warcraft of it's day. however it's day has come and gone and now it's bring back classic servers in order to get it's old player base back.

everquest 2 bombed right at launch. how much more do i have to say on this besides players leaving enmass.

matrix online once had a great and loyal fanbase who enjoyed the game untill soe took over. over night the cool storylines and bring people from the moves in died. now all it is a lootfest that is boring to play and ugly to look at.

vanguard yes it did come out too soon. but much like the pre-cu if soe had fixed the game rather then fire most of the vanguard staff in the parking lot it would have been much better off. it would have taken 6 months to get vanguard really going. and i believe it would have been a hit mmo for soe.

planetside at one time this was the dream of almost any fps player you talk to. a full on 24/7 battlefield with tanks and aircraft along with other cool things like orbal drop pods. i did try the free planetside out it looked bad and the only thing i really saw were ad's for sci-fi channel bad movies of the week or the worst sci-fi show ever stargate.

and lets look at the rest of soe's games pirates of the burning sea? so far sounds like it bombed. the card games? bombed. the agency? it looks like hellgate:london 1.5 believe me it's not going to do well. even people have quit all the free games soe once offered.

and then we have swg.

we have a game that with 6 months of work would have been an award winning mmorpg. we would have had a game that all the grown up's would go to and leave warcraft and the rest to the 13 year olds. now look at it. the new content they put in isn't anything like the old content. what do you want the new boss mobs or something like the village?

bugs are still in the game and those bugs should have gotten fixed in day one. soe cannot even keep over 10k players in any of their games.

still everquest will show them. it will get the classic server and over night people will come back. before long they will have to open more. and they will have to do the same with swg.

Originally posted by iwantmyswg

-EQ

-MXO

and look at how great all of those games have done.

everquest was once the world of warcraft of it's day. however it's day has come and gone and now it's bring back classic servers in order to get it's old player base back.

everquest 2 bombed right at launch. how much more do i have to say on this besides players leaving enmass.

matrix online once had a great and loyal fanbase who enjoyed the game untill soe took over. over night the cool storylines and bring people from the moves in died. now all it is a lootfest that is boring to play and ugly to look at.

vanguard yes it did come out too soon. but much like the pre-cu if soe had fixed the game rather then fire most of the vanguard staff in the parking lot it would have been much better off. it would have taken 6 months to get vanguard really going. and i believe it would have been a hit mmo for soe.

planetside at one time this was the dream of almost any fps player you talk to. a full on 24/7 battlefield with tanks and aircraft along with other cool things like orbal drop pods. i did try the free planetside out it looked bad and the only thing i really saw were ad's for sci-fi channel bad movies of the week or the worst sci-fi show ever stargate.

and lets look at the rest of soe's games pirates of the burning sea? so far sounds like it bombed. the card games? bombed. the agency? it looks like hellgate:london 1.5 believe me it's not going to do well. even people have quit all the free games soe once offered.

and then we have swg.

we have a game that with 6 months of work would have been an award winning mmorpg. we would have had a game that all the grown up's would go to and leave warcraft and the rest to the 13 year olds. now look at it. the new content they put in isn't anything like the old content. what do you want the new boss mobs or something like the village?

bugs are still in the game and those bugs should have gotten fixed in day one. soe cannot even keep over 10k players in any of their games.

still everquest will show them. it will get the classic server and over night people will come back. before long they will have to open more. and they will have to do the same with swg.

/deepbreathe, ok alot to address here, some of the games i have little or no knowledge on but i do know that EQ2, regardless of players leaving etc is a successful game with a solid player base. Pirates of the Burning sea came out what? today or yesterday, im not sure; most people havent even got to the shops to buy it and you're claiming it "bombed", i've read their forums and while many dislike it, many like it - thats life, some people were expecting/hoping for something different, some people got what they wanted.

SWG, ok, to clarify about heroics, its not just new boss mobs what so ever if you saw the screen shots obraik posted and read the guides you might understand. And in your second to last paragraph you pop in that magic number, the one you've been using recently, except the only problem is its not true whatsoever, its what you want to believe. DM, the swg lead developer has state, a little while ago that the guess of 50k players is "too low", and considering there are clearly more people now then when that was said, as i have observed as an SWG player, it means you're number is quite blatantly off the mark.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

congratulations! You are OP #5 today to win the award for "Beating a Dead Horse!"

• Threats99Threats99 Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by zabrakwith

I think the saddest thing is that we will never see another game like SWG again.  We'll never see a game with so many professions in a skill tree based system that was a completely open-ended experience.  We're going to see dumbed down WoW clones.  When are these companies going to realize that WoW is the exception rather than the rule, and companies like SOE should have been happy with a 200k-300k playerbase and built from there.  If they woud have added some of the things from the NGE (quests and some ideas) on top of the pre-cu system the game would be doing very well today.

100% agree. That fact that we won't see an MMORPG as open ended as SWG again, or at least for awhile is the real loss imo. The only  game I can think of that's close is Second Life, but that's a differnt type of gameplay.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Who would you like the vets to give a detailed and rational plan to? They tired to give one to SOE during the beta, after release, before, during, and after the CU, before, during, and after the NGE. It all fell on deaf ears. SOE is not looking for a detailed and rational plan. A detailed and rational plan would require reading and SOE does not like to much reading. Reading is not Star Warsy or Iconic. Rollback is a much faster and action packed word. It is easy for one of the 3 devs left on the game to google. If he can figure out how to launch his browser.

• EnkoveEnkove Member Posts: 29

Funny how some want to place all the blame on LA. Last I heard SOE is the company that writes the code and designs all the "new content". Contrary to popular belief, I just don't see George Lucas trying to decide what flannel to wear in order to impress Smedley with his brilliant ideas of collection systems and his new cut and paste designed whistler carbines. Rumor is if Lucas keeps up the good work he's got a spot saved for him on the DC comics team,or at least a spot in Smed's  guild's 2nd Kara group if he agrees to roll a healer.

• haxxjoohaxxjoo Member Posts: 924

Heavy moderation here has dampered a lot more posting to boot.  This area was at one point filled with regular passionate posters.

Most of us have moved on, however, we do still pop in and check for swg news.  To make us out to be insane people is what bothers me about the anti-swg veteran crowd.  We take a few hours a week to remember how much fun we use to have in swg and touch base with each other and rip soe and we are nut cases?

I still play super tecmo bowl, ice hockey and contra on an NES emulator.  Does that make me some NES freak? I don't think so.  NGE supporters and SOE want to label us some group of random nutjobs ala the Cabal taking its name in jest.  It is quiet the opposite.  Most of us at one point in time where some of the best subscribers SOE had.  We built and made gaming in that sandbox alot of fun for a lot of people.  What did we ask for that got us into this situation that was so abysmal and horrible? 1 or 2 Pre-cu servers to enjoy the game we had played for 2+ years. 

You'd think we wanted John Smedley's first born child with the absolute rediculous resistance to this that we have encountered from a gaming company.  You'd think by now they'd realize it would be profitable from a souly PR perspective but NOOOOO.  Not stubborn SOE and John Smedley. 

Oh well.  I'll continue to pay my Cabal membership dues and wait for news on a new SW mmo, and SWG EMU or a roll back.  Otherwise I will game elsewhere and tell people swg and soe suck.