Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Calls FOX out for Insulting MASS EFFECT

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

I saw this on Fox and the guy who presents alot of stuff on Gametrailers.com was great but these people commenting on it clearly havn't even played the game before and don't know what they're talking about. Since when has having sex been worse than killing people anyways? Seems weird to me cause sex is somthing everyone does lots of times in their life and is a natural part of having a baby or w/e and killing people is something that'll get you life in prison..... yet on the TV or movies or games killing people and violence is fine lol.

Tbh i was watching 18 films and killing people in games when i was underage to play/watch them and i turned out fine.... i don't go round killing people or raping people. Just a few retarded people like 1 in a million that goes out and does these things and then something like TV or games gets blamed and ruins it for the rest of us sane people. If you don't know whats right on wrong in the real world then that's just bad parenting and nothing to do with a game or a program etc etc.

• bluberryhazebluberryhaze Member Posts: 1,702

did you actually see the piece on fox?

they had 2 people from both sides of the arguement re: the game.

the last words from the panel discussing it was- i dont think the government should be involved in this as much as they already are. and the anchor babe said parents need to watch what there kids are playing.

i thought this was a very responsible discussion. seemed fair to me.

-I will subtlety invade your psyche-

• tunabuntunabun Member UncommonPosts: 666

Originally posted by bluberryhaze

the last words from the panel discussing it was- i dont think the government should be involved in this as much as they already are. and the anchor babe said parents need to watch what there kids are playing.

Wait, you are actually defending Fox? 

Hmmm, maybe there is something to what Keebs was saying about you.

- Burying Threads Since 1979 -

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

EA is finaly starting to get on my good side now. EA ftw lol

• hazmatshazmats Member Posts: 1,081

Originally posted by tunabun

no, he is stating what actually happened. They decided that it is up to parents to keep their kids from it. Your blind devotion to hating Fox is stupid.

edit: And it wasn't just a bunch of people who didn't play it. They had a guy from G4 defending it. 2 sides debating. It's wonderful isn't it.?

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Yup, a guy who actually put the whole thing into context and made you all feel stupid for misrepresenting what FOX did MUST be a viral marketter for the Republican party...he disagrees with you, he MUST be a plant!

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzF173GqTU

In case anyone missed the story. Also, Jeff Brown , VP of Communications for Electronic Arts, has requested that Fox News correct Monday’s disgraceful trashing of Mass Effect. (GamePolitics take on the story)

*Edit  This is the "full frontal nudity" they said was in the game...judge for yourself, not some commentator who never has/will try the game.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

Draenor

Tool and Maynard james lyrics changed my whole life back in '98.

my main in vanguard is somniferouss (alt was first,  somniferous) and I normally create characters named maynardjames

I think the more important question or statement to ask is how did this become a story. in the land of 24hour news cycles, content must be in high demand. do you not ask yourself why and how do things become important enough to make cnn and fox? it was someones agenda, somewhere.  perhaps EA themselves pushed this to be victimized for free publicity? who knows. what I know is we all consume, all the time.

• Keebs1984Keebs1984 Member Posts: 1,356

Originally posted by Draenor

Yup, a guy who actually put the whole thing into context and made you all feel stupid for misrepresenting what FOX did MUST be a viral marketter for the Republican party...he disagrees with you, he MUST be a plant!

In all fairness Draenor, every single one of this guys threads on an MMORPG forum has been about either promoting the Republican agenda or bashing the Democrats. He is not here to discuss games, and quite frankly (while I was initially just trying to provoke him into talking about something other than politics) I am starting to actually question his motives on this forum.

We are not a political forum. If he wants a political forum to discuss this stuff on I will be happy to invite him to the one I use. Even Outfctrl talked about games about half the time. . .

Anyways that was off-topic, sorry.

My favorite part of the EA letter was this:

"As video games continue to take audiences away from television, we expect to see more TV news stories warning parents about the corrupting influence of interactive entertainment. But this represents a new level of recklessness."

BAM! Hilarious. . .

Seriously, for Fox to bring on 1 guy (who they constantly cut-off) who knows about the game and face him with a "psychologist" whose ego is apparently to big for her own head (did anybody else see that book cover?) and a cast of parents who have never even played the game was ridiculous. THERE IS NO NUDITY IN MASS EFFECT. Anybody who is arguing on behalf of Fox on this one is just as ignorant as they are. It has nothing to do with politics, it has everything to do with a television station smear campaign against a game that threatens its ratings. . .

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

The MMO gaming blog I write for.

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

Yup.. Thats what EA did.. but look at what Nerds everywhere are doing.

http://news.filefront.com/gamers-strike-back-against-cooper-lawrence-on-amazon/

Here is one of my favorite reviews of her book

35 of 54 people found the following review helpful:

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not that bad..., January 23, 2008

By  K. Brown (Hades Gamma Cluster) - See all my reviews

(REAL NAME)   

You might have to use three or four pages, they're a little on the rough side and take a couple of flushes, but it'll do in pinch!

Help other customers find the most helpful reviews  

Was this review helpful to you?

YesNo

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

I wouldn't call her a hypocrite or a bigot or most of those things that people put up there. She is very ignorant, however. . . at least about the game she was arguing against. She knew next to nothing and didn't cite ANY of the recent sources that stated violent videogames do not transfer into violent behavior.

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Woah...

I hate EA.

I hate FOX even more.

Kudos to EA for calling Fox on their mind numbing stupidity.

Originally posted by Keebs1984

Originally posted by Draenor

In all fairness Draenor, every single one of this guys threads on an MMORPG forum has been about either promoting the Republican agenda or bashing the Democrats. He is not here to discuss games, and quite frankly (while I was initially just trying to provoke him into talking about something other than politics) I am starting to actually question his motives on this forum.

We are not a political forum. If he wants a political forum to discuss this stuff on I will be happy to invite him to the one I use. Even Outfctrl talked about games about half the time. . .

Anyways that was off-topic, sorry.

My favorite part of the EA letter was this:

"As video games continue to take audiences away from television, we expect to see more TV news stories warning parents about the corrupting influence of interactive entertainment. But this represents a new level of recklessness."

BAM! Hilarious. . .

Seriously, for Fox to bring on 1 guy (who they constantly cut-off) who knows about the game and face him with a "psychologist" whose ego is apparently to big for her own head (did anybody else see that book cover?) and a cast of parents who have never even played the game was ridiculous. THERE IS NO NUDITY IN MASS EFFECT. Anybody who is arguing on behalf of Fox on this one is just as ignorant as they are. It has nothing to do with politics, it has everything to do with a television station smear campaign against a game that threatens its ratings. . .

dude. im new here and perused the forums and found many threads bashing republicans. politics is near and dear to me and i like to chat about it. i do not know about anti politics on mmorpg in the off topic section. i do question your motives and my curiousity is peaked. if my rhetoric was pro liberal would you be confronting me? or is it that democrats and liberals cant stand a good arguement and prefer to shut you up before arguing.

does it hurt you that i think it was a fair and balanced discussion about the game? credentials aside.

btw I absolutely love whats happening regarding the pyschologist babe getting her booked slammed  on amazon by gamers.

I play vanguard currently fyi.

seradon server Somniferouss is the name,

dude. im new here and perused the forums and found many threads bashing republicans. politics is near and dear to me and i like to chat about it. i do not know about anti politics on mmorpg in the off topic section. i do question your motives and my curiousity is peaked. if my rhetoric was pro liberal would you be confronting me? or is it that democrats and liberals cant stand a good arguement and prefer to shut you up before arguing.

does it hurt you that i think it was a fair and balanced discussion about the game? credentials aside.

btw I absolutely love whats happening regarding the pyschologist babe getting her booked slammed  on amazon by gamers.
    I play vanguard currently fyi.
    seradon server Somniferouss is the name,
    I will slam ANYBODY who I feel is here for a motive other than what they want us to believe. I don't see youo as being a legit forum go-er on this forum. We have had many republican posters here before, some maybe even more conservative than yourself (Outfctrl), and I never once doubted their right to be here. It has nothing to do with political preference. . .

Oh, and for the record, I'm not a Democrat.

As for the game; how was it a "fair and balanced" discussion? Are you really pining over that slogan?

Here is the video:

Pro Mass Effect:

1 guy (Geoff Keighly). He maybe got 30 seconds to speak, maybe.

Anti Mass Effect:

Show Host, a psychologist, 4 parents. NONE of them EVER played the game. They constantly used examples from the game that didn't exist and constantly mislabeled the game as having full nudity. Not only that btu they said it was marketed towards children. Where? Where has that been marketed towards children? Was it on Nickelodeon? Cartoon Network? No. . .I have seen ads for it on G4TV, Spike, and maybe some more popular television shows. It has also appeared in game print magazines which let me remind you: PARENTS need to pay for.

The whole situation was so completely overwhelmingly anti-video game.

So explain to me; how was it fair and balanced?

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

and how is it different from hillary clintons anti game campaign? 

the show host in no way took the side of the mass affect slam. she posed some good questions and that is what i meant by fair. if the host took a different stance i probably wouldnt be writing this.

as a conservative the point that made me happy was the government should not be involved in this discussion. does the government know whats best for us?

again the real question to ask yourself is, how, through what means, did this game in particular become a news story? perhaps its to educate the parents watching the show of whats going on in the video game industry?   or something more sinister such as a PR spin.

you democrats do know hillary clintons stance on video game sex and violence right?

democrats want to take care of you from the cradle to the grave...government should step aside.

The interview was a complete farce to being fair and balanced. Geoff Keighley was completely sandbagged from the get go.  But as reported on GamePolitics, Fox has a bit of a history sensationalising video game fears in the past using folks that have no expertise in the issue what so ever.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• Sanctus_MorsSanctus_Mors Member Posts: 597

The Amazon review are great. Quite amusing to see what she said turned around and applied to her book. Wonder if that will happen to her radio talk show

your arguement is so persuasive, so filled with knowledge and insight. You back up your argument very articulately, with suggestions of improvements and raising examples to glorify your position....oh wait, you didn't

Originally posted by BaronJuJu

The interview was a complete farce to being fair and balanced. Geoff Keighley was completely sandbagged from the get go.  But as reported on GamePolitics, Fox has a bit of a history sensationalising video game fears in the past using folks that have no expertise in the issue what so ever.

yes. using parents to inform other parents to be aware of what your children are playing.  should there been a whole panel of video game experts instead? I am not defending fox as a news organization as much as some here are propagating fox as being illegitimate. i think with the 2 guests and the panel of 3 they all had there say. and the host seemed to have chosen a  side of empowering anti government involvement in the choices we all make as video game enthusiasts.

parents do have a right to being informed.

btw...who was it that told all you fox bashers to not trust em? I know, the democrat party by trying to illigitimize them by not doing any democrat debates on fox.  again, some have been puppeteered by their politics.

• SiginSigin Member Posts: 71

and how is it different from hillary clintons anti game campaign?    

It isn't any different.  They're both pandering, weak-willed, bullshit attempts to gain the $$$/votes of the same demographic: Useless human beings that have reproduced. And coincidently can't be arsed to step up to the responsibility of actually parenting a child, rather than creating a tax deduction, or a tax burden, depending on just how much of a fuck up they are as a parent.

And it's not as if Faux News is known for bothering with the truth, even when the subject of the piece contacts one of the Editor types, and says, "No, that's wrong".

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

EA may be useful after all. 

Originally posted by BaronJuJu

yes. using parents to inform other parents to be aware of what your children are playing.  should there been a whole panel of video game experts instead? I am not defending fox as a news organization as much as some here are propagating fox as being illegitimate. i think with the 2 guests and the panel of 3 they all had there say. and the host seemed to have chosen a  side of empowering anti government involvement in the choices we all make as video game enthusiasts.

parents do have a right to being informed.

btw...who was it that told all you fox bashers to not trust em? I know, the democrat party by trying to illigitimize them by not doing any democrat debates on fox.  again, some have been puppeteered by their politics.

Wow, I hit a nerve I see. Fine lets take a look at this.

They (Fox) use a psychologist on relationships who admitted she has never seen or played the game to argue the counterpoint to a lie spouted by the interviewer? Give me a break, why not just pick a random shmoo off the street. Oh wait ...from the sounds of it, they did with the "parents panel" who made these completely outrageous comments:

Male Panelist: "Who can argue, possibly, that Luke Skywalker meets Debbie Does Dallas is a good thing? It’s not. And I’m definitely not going to let Mass Effect in my house…"

What orafice did this guy pull this out of? Again someone that has NO CLUE of what the game is about. But then there was the female panelist:

Female Panelist: I’m not sure why it didn’t get an Adults Only rating. That’s the highest rating it can have. So, first of all, this board that rates them needs to have their head examined…

Well lets see, it didn't get the rating because there was no "full digital nudity" and  "And the ability for the players to engage in graphic sex and the person who’s playing the game gets to decide exactly what’s going to happen between the two people" as the host, Martha MacCallum, said there was. Now to MacCallums credit, she did offfer the best advice on the whole interview:

"You know when you buy video games… you have to pick up the box and look at the back for the rating and you have to be involved in what your kids are looking at…"

Ding DIng DIng....common sense breaks through for a mere moment.

Now lets turn the game over and look at what we actually see:

Rating - M -  "Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language."

and for Mass Effect specifically the ESRB lists  "Blood, Language, Partial Nudity, Sexual Themes,  Violence" are in the game. 

So again, not for kids under 17 and contains Blood, Language,  Partial Nudity, Sexual Themes, Violence in the game.  All of this is made public before you purchase it by taking all of 0.5 seconds to flip over the box and read. So yeah, buying it for 10 year old Tommy is probably a bad idea. If a parent wants to buy the game for them and they are under 17, then thats their decision.

Parents should be informed about games that they purchase for kids, but they should not be blatantly misled by a panel of folks that have never seen or played the game and are responding to an interviewers false claims of what is in the game. If parents are too busy or lazy to travel to the store and check the rating, they can always check it on the ESRB page.

The video was posted here for all to see and it does not show what FOX claims, not even close. I don't care if this was FOX, CNN, BBC, MSNBC or whatever. They lied and deserved to be called out on it.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

FOX news screws up all the time...in all honesty with TV being compared to MASS EFFECT, your more or less likely to see positions of sex on FOX.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• AguyAguy Member Posts: 561

"There are no grown men playing video games"

"I recently bought *M-rated game* for my 6 year old daughter"

Good lord, are these people high?  Those were the most ignorant, uninformed statements I've ever heard.

• mithrandir72mithrandir72 Member Posts: 1,286

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

FOX news screws up all the time...in all honesty with TV being compared to MASS EFFECT, your more or less likely to see positions of sex on FOX.
    QFE

The coverage was pathetically biased, and uninformed. I can tell anybody that says it isn't for a fact that it is in fact, biased. Look at the interview. They're stating completely 100% false claims against this game, they've started the interview off with the subtitle of "Se'xbox" and they won't listen to the one person who knows what he's talking about, who has actually experienced the game. If that isn't biased, then I'm gonna go live in Iran and get my news there, its less biased than this shit.

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment;
    We are choosing to be here right now -Tool, Parabola

• tylerthedruitylerthedrui Member Posts: 304

Originally posted by slannmage

Tbh i was watching 18 films and killing people in games when i was underage to play/watch them and i turned out fine...
    Suuuuuuure you did.

(I had to take that, you left an opening)