Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crossfire performs up to 20% better on PCI-Express 2.0

OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/PCI-Express-2-0-Crossfire,review-29948.html

nVidia is getting their asses handed to them atm...

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

Comments

• oakaeoakae Member UncommonPosts: 344

Huh how? Nvidia still has the highest performance on almost all the charts.

• devacoredevacore Member UncommonPosts: 340

They do pretty good, I'd like to get the up coming 3870 X2 .. looks sweet.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Nvidia performs roughly 15% better then the 3870 with the 8800 ultra.  However, in dual card modes the 3870 scales a whole lot better.  Something like 90% per additional card.  So if you put 2 3870 vs 2 8800, the 3870 have something like a 30-50% performance advantage.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Yep, two 3870's in CrossFireX push 8800Ultra's in SLi to the curb. This is the sole and only reason why nVidia has made a 3-way SLi, so you can pay $1900 in video cards just to match up and barely beat a sub $600 combo.

Ill say the same thing I always do concerning this; SLi is TRASH, period.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• dragonxriderdragonxrider Member Posts: 107

The HD 3870 is pretty awesome, i just wish i didnt buy my new video card so early. I knew the HD 3870 was comming out pretty soon, but i just wasnt able to hold in my urges to go and buy a Saphire HD 2600 xt. But yea im pretty impressed with what ATi is doing with the HD 3800 series and I thought the HD 2000 series was godly. 

• MadGeloMadGelo Member UncommonPosts: 110

SLI is nice if you have older GF cards and want them to run faster if you dont have money to buy expensive one

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

Doesn't the latest version of Crossfire support mixed cards as opposed to same cards like SLI? Plus, do games not specifically geared at multi-card setups actually perform well under such setups?

-- Brede

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

No idea. To date the only real reason to run dual cards is to stroke your epeen.

That should probably change within the next couple generations of games though.

D.