Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your thoughts on Aion?

TawniXLucasTawniXLucas Member Posts: 11

To be honest, I think this game might be better than WoW. And again, to be honest, WoW isn't all that great anymore. It's 'nextgen' graphics have been bumped down to 'currentgen' as many other developers have copied it.

By the looks of it, Aion has way better graphics than WoW. I might need a new card just to play this game.

Looking at the video and screenshots, I'd say the release of Aion will be like when WoW was released. Aion's graphics are definitely nextgen. Skills look great along with their animation.

A game like this probably won't be free but I hope it will.

Aside from that, I hear they made a mistake with PvP? Your thoughts..

Comments

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

It won't be free.

Wow's graphics weren't next gen when they released, L2 released before wow and L2 has way better graphics.

Aion's graphics won't be next gen either, but many people will need to upgrade their PCs already, making them crysis-like would do no good to the sales.

Which mistake did they make with pvp?

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

I am really interested in Aion, and somewhat excited! It's going to be full of lore, and questing, lots of exploration, as well.

• pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

I waiting for some kind of beta. I expect plaync to offer beta passes to their current subscribers.

-Would you like cheddar or swiss cheese?
    -Yes.

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

I don't remember how I got to Tabula Rasa closed beta, but I sure wasn't subscribed or playing any of their games at that time. Anyways, it's too early to talk about EU/NA CB or OB as Korean CB is not over yet (first? part of it is over).

Well, I'll be buying a new PC for Aion as it deserves to be played with highest gfx settings. :D

Cheers.

• zarzuzarzu Member Posts: 126

tabula rasa beta was accessible through gamepages like fileplanet, only for a finite time though.

apart from that you could sign up your plaync account for an invite into the official beta.

and a big lol at the next gen graphics from wow.

• jermell18jermell18 Member UncommonPosts: 124

Most of NCsoft high profile games are never free, i've played to many of NCsofts games and extremely doubt that Aion will be free. If it is, (which its not) it want last to long, like most F2P games. Any how, im upgrading my stuff, i dont think i need to. Im moving away from ATI after being with them for my whole computer life. Going to go to the 8800GT in sli, and probably AMD phenom, i just cant do the Intell thing.

From the looks of this game and the environment having a nice cpu and gpu will be important. So start saving your money guys/girls...

Crossfire 2 x (ATI 2600xt HD)

• suu141suu141 Member Posts: 249

I think WoW is a somewhat well-polished pile of crap.

As for Aion, I believe the graphics are extremely impressive considering you don't need a super computer(I'll prolly build one anyway) to run it. But, graphics are just icing on the cake. We still have yet to see the true taste of the cake itself. Don't let frosted covered brownie fool you, make sure it is indeed a brownie.

When you mentioned the "mistake in PvP", are you referring to  the post by ripptor?

Anyway, this is what I heard so far in regards to PvP:

The Abyss, an enormous instanced dungeon/battleground that will be the main PvP(RvRvE) area. There will be several castles for raids.

Players can go into enemy territory via warpgate(drop point is random, my guess is to prevent massive armies herrassing non-pvpers)  for PvP.

It will be open RvR, opposing factions can attack each other at anytime/anywhere(no flagging to fight)

Those who excel in PvP can attempt to be a "Hero"(Similar to L2), which probably be Abyss exclusive title where player is given significant boosted stats and skills.

"When you're born you're naked, when you die you're naked again, and in-between all we do is work, eat, and play MMOs." ~Forum Warrior #141

• NightsorrowNightsorrow Member UncommonPosts: 109

Is that all you care is the graphic? Come on its an MMORPG, which you would be playing for years if it is good.

Graphic will be outdated, and no matter how great the graphic is, it won't keep you interested after a long time. Its gameplay which is important.

MMO played (paid):
    AION
    DragonRaja
    Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Lineage
    Lineage 2
    Tibia
    Ultima Online
    Warhammer Online
    World of Warcraft

MMO tried:
    Atlantica Online
    Darkfall
    Dead Frontier
    Dungeon Runners
    EverQuest
    Lord of the Rings Online
    Monster Hunter Frontier Online
    Ragnarok Online
    Requiem
    Runes of Magic
    Runescape
    The 4th Coming

and some other Chinese/Korean or beta MMOs

• rinoamwrinoamw Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by Nightsorrow

Is that all you care is the graphic? Come on its an MMORPG, which you would be playing for years if it is good.
    Graphic will be outdated, and no matter how great the graphic is, it won't keep you interested after a long time. Its gameplay which is important.

Graphics help.  Even moreso when looking for something 'new'.

• NightsorrowNightsorrow Member UncommonPosts: 109

Of course the more beautiful graphic the better, if you ignore the side effect that maybe you can't have too much objects appearing together on your screen, but look at the OP, he is 100% only care about the graphic.

MMO played (paid):
    AION
    DragonRaja
    Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Lineage
    Lineage 2
    Tibia
    Ultima Online
    Warhammer Online
    World of Warcraft

MMO tried:
    Atlantica Online
    Darkfall
    Dead Frontier
    Dungeon Runners
    EverQuest
    Lord of the Rings Online
    Monster Hunter Frontier Online
    Ragnarok Online
    Requiem
    Runes of Magic
    Runescape
    The 4th Coming

and some other Chinese/Korean or beta MMOs

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by Nightsorrow

I beg to differ, I can't play a game if it's not graphically appealing, at least not for long. To each their own mister.

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• VandrorVandror Member Posts: 10

This game is going to be the best.Better then WoW. although i HATE wow and all there noobs

• UgottawantitUgottawantit Member Posts: 146

What was my favorite part of Wow?  Flying!  What do you do in this game? Fly!    I can't wait!  The graphics look beautifull. If your going to spend a lot of time somewhere. Like you do in an mmo, doesn't it help to be somwhere  beautifull?

My thoughts on Aion?  I can't wait to spread my wings!

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

To be honest it is too early and the beta for North America apparently is far from release. Now, this is not such a bad thing.  I am happy that, for now, NCSoft has chosen to be "mum" about any release date(s).

From what I have seen with screenies and youtube videos it has some similarities to Lineage 2, but do we know this for sure?

No.

Only when NcSoft officially releases an open beta here in North America will we know for sure.  Screens and youtube simply is NOT enough information.   If I were to guess, using given information available, North America will have an open beta maybe in December, but, well, you know how it goes with MMO's.  Korea will definitely have this game before Christmas.

I just hope what we hear from the testers over there is hopeful.

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• TawniXLucasTawniXLucas Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Ephimero

It won't be free.
    Wow's graphics weren't next gen when they released, L2 released before wow and L2 has way better graphics.
    Aion's graphics won't be next gen either, but many people will need to upgrade their PCs already, making them crysis-like would do no good to the sales.

http://mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/157900

That.

So, if you've ever played Shaiya. You would sort of understand this. There are two clans in Shaiya. Two races in each clan, three classes for each race. Each class for each of  the two races have a counterpart in the other clan. There's no interaction between the two clans besides PvP areas that are grouped in levels. Guilds can only be with members from the same chat and trade can only be with members from the same clan. Oh, did I mention players from one clan can only be on maps for that clan?

What that thread says is that there is even less interaction between clans in Aion. There's NO PvP between clans at all. So it's Shaiya with no PvP area.

And for the Open Beta, I think they'll only be selecting a couple hundred or a couple thousand people whose computer specs and rigs go beyond the recommended for Aion's graphics to experience the best performance. Open Beta will be free but when it's released it will have a 50$ retail at the least and a monthly fee.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

NCsoft is the only company which I have to try about each and every new game they release.  BioWare used to have this status, they lose it with KotOR/Jade Empire...

This status may change at any time, but my past experiences with them fill me with happiness.  No, nothing is perfect.  I didn't stick with Dungeon Runners, Tabula Rasa or Auto Assault...but I have a good and fun time!  And CoV is soo freaking awesome...I am just overly bored from overplaying it over, and over, and over again...but eh, it is not the game fault.

Angels vs Devils...I always like the religious themes...I will most certainly try it...and due to the theme...even if I only enjoy flying around, I will still find it oky...and if I like it...I will subscribe and play more...but at worst, just the art would be well worth it.

I will buy a new computer if needed to play this game!  (putting some stress on these devs, ain't I?)

I don't think anything could go wrong with Aion for me, at worst I won't have the motivation to log in...at best, I will put way too many hours in this new release.  I am concerned about the PvPvE, but...eh, they have CoV folks to explain to them what not to do, so I am sure they will understand!  But yeah, it is concerning me.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Originally posted by TawniXLucas

It won't be free.

That.

So, if you've ever played Shaiya. You would sort of understand this. There are two clans in Shaiya. Two races in each clan, three classes for each race. Each class for each of  the two races have a counterpart in the other clan. There's no interaction between the two clans besides PvP areas that are grouped in levels. Guilds can only be with members from the same chat and trade can only be with members from the same clan. Oh, did I mention players from one clan can only be on maps for that clan?

What that thread says is that there is even less interaction between clans in Aion. There's NO PvP between clans at all. So it's Shaiya with no PvP area.

And for the Open Beta, I think they'll only be selecting a couple hundred or a couple thousand people whose computer specs and rigs go beyond the recommended for Aion's graphics to experience the best performance. Open Beta will be free but when it's released it will have a 50$ retail at the least and a monthly fee.

What? Aion has more pvp than Shaiya, actually. I haven't looked much into shaiya, but i don't know if you can duel within your race. Also, there will be random portals opening for a short ammount of time communicating both sides of the world, which will lead to some random pvps here and there, and, the abyss, is where the 3 factions meet, the pvp area, but with excellent pve rewards to make it an attractive place to go, even with the ffa pvp risks.
  • ruffer1980ruffer1980 Member Posts: 25

Crysis is now current generation as far as im aware the game has been released.

so has ps3 which is now current gen console.

and 8800 gfx card aint next gen.

you wont see next gen for atleast 4 years.

Nvidia 9 series wont be next gen either.

Ps: dont compare Aion and Crysis.

Aion is not based on the Crytek engine used for Crysis but the old engine used for Farcry.

An engine thats more then 5 years old most likely 6 or more years farcry was released March 23, 2004 in NA

The Aion engine is based on the crytek engine, that doesnt mean it's 5 years old, they had to modify it heavily in order to adapt it to their needs.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by ruffer1980

Crysis is now current generation as far as im aware the game has been released.
    so has ps3 which is now current gen console.
    and 8800 gfx card aint next gen.
    you wont see next gen for atleast 4 years.
    Nvidia 9 series wont be next gen either.

Ps: dont compare Aion and Crysis.
    Aion is not based on the Crytek engine used for Crysis but the old engine used for Farcry.
    An engine thats more then 5 years old most likely 6 or more years farcry was released March 23, 2004 in NA

That is the Crytek engine. Crysis runs on the Crytek 2 engine

• Munkyman1Munkyman1 Member Posts: 221

Hehe better not be ure typical Korean MMO...those of you who have played them know what i mean.  I'm really kinda like holding off on any other games for this one, just waiting to be disapointed.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Munkyman1

Hehe better not be ure typical Korean MMO...those of you who have played them know what i mean.  I'm really kinda like holding off on any other games for this one, just waiting to be disapointed.
    I think you should be fine then. If you do a bit of reading you will see that this will be more of a casual game, quite a bit of customization, Quests, and an easier leveling curve (a bit harder than WoW according to one of the NC Staff).

Whether you can enjoy the esoteric sensibilities and art design, well, that's another thing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • suu141suu141 Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by TawniXLucas

That.

This was a post by ripptor(same one you posted):

Apparently ripptor thought there was no "world PvP" and that in turn would minimize interaction between the 2 Factions, no exploration in enemy territory, and blah, blah. ripptor thought wrong, Aion will have world PvP(open RvR) and players can go into enemy territory(via warpgate) or pretty much anywhere for that matter. Aion won't have restrictions like Shaiya. Aion's PvP will be similar to WoW's world-RvR, minus flags and easy access to enemy territory.

The Aion Devs want as many people as possible to buy their game, meaning the majority of the population that doesn't have a super computer with two 8800 GTX cards in SLI with 8 gigs of RAM. I doubt all 3,600 CB testers had that kind of set-up but still enjoyed the game.

"When you're born you're naked, when you die you're naked again, and in-between all we do is work, eat, and play MMOs." ~Forum Warrior #141

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

The game uses CryENGINE which was highly advanced for the time of its release (2004).  It was not as advanced for its time as Crysis is for modern computers, but then again, Crytek probably didn't expect to be an engine company.  Crysis is essentially an expensive tech demo for what will be THE engine of the future.

I wonder how easy it is to go from the CryENGINE to CryENGINE2?  Probably easy enough to make Aion capable of upgrading its engine 3-4 years from now (when CryENGINE2 isn't capable of single-handedly crippling the most advanced video card available).

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson