Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online - Coming to Steam

HardinHardin Member Posts: 70

Just saw this:

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=news&id=1414&cc=SI

Seems EVE may be getting a new influx of users soon...

First MMORPG on Steam?

Amarr Victor

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

That's fine, just so we don't have to use Steam to access it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GendailGendail Member UncommonPosts: 178

Yeah I just posted that in the EvE forums as well

• HardinHardin Member Posts: 70

Amarr Victor

Originally posted by Hardin

You are the Goonie? From here? http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=688694 

Oh I'm a Goonie but not that one lol

I meant the EvE forums here, I saw the story on Shacknews

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

This is basically just advertising for CCP to help boost their subscription numbers seeing as you can already get it as a download.....

EVE was much better when it had like 4000 people online at prime time, it's just tooo overpopulated on one server for my liking now.

• Token1337GuyToken1337Guy Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by slannmage

This is basically just advertising for CCP to help boost their subscription numbers seeing as you can already get it as a download.....
    EVE was much better when it had like 4000 people online at prime time, it's just tooo overpopulated on one server for my liking now.
    I'm not sure I can agree with that.  4000 people spread across all the systems in EVE would be underpopulated.  You'd hardly see anyone as you flew around.
  • gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503

I won't buy anything that requires steam.

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

I doubt it will require Steam, just as Universe at War: Earth Assault does not require Steam, or COD4, or any other title that Steam offers for sale. Steam is an outlet, not the vendor/developer.

-- Brede

Depends on the distribution model that CCP and Valve come up with.  There are alot of non Valve games that, if purchased via steam will always open Steam when launched.

Many games that I launch with X-Fire will launch Steam first if that was my purchase method for it.  Of course I would guess it is possible to just take advantage of the extra week of trial and the discount then just download the stand alone client so you don't have to go through Steam to launch it at all.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

props need to be given to CCP for their smart moves. I can complain a little bit about the nitty gritty in their game but CCP has intelligent people running the show.

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Lol yer nuts, during the time EVE had 4000 players there was not even half the content there is now, plus loads of bugs.

If an mmorpg does not evolve and expand, it dies.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

That's a great move by CCP. More people means more content. Yep... people are the content of the game. Without people, you can't buy or sell items, you have no one to kill... no politics, no life, empty system and worse...

However, CCP needs to find a way to make 0.0 space easier for everyone to get in.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I apologize for not knowing

But what is steam, and what is its significance?

Torrential

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Originally posted by Czzarre

I apologize for not knowing
    But what is steam, and what is its significance?
    Torrential

This is Steam.

It's kind of like Direct2Drive, but rather than being web based, it runs as it's own desktop application and you have to log into it in order to use it. But that's over simplifying a bit....

Here are the some things that steam does:

• It provides piracy prevention and removes the need for CD Keys. If you bought it on Steam, you have to launch it from Steam and you can't do that unless you're logged in and authorized.
    • It acts as an anti-cheating / hacking application that seems more effective than punk buster.
    • It acts as a community hub providing forums, instant messaging, email, and even server rental to the community.

Some people have complained that it slows down their games, but I just downloaded The Orange Box off of Steam and I have had no problems with it. Downloading games off of it beats the hell out of looking like some socially retarded man-child at the game sections of Best Buy or Wal-mart, that's for sure!

• KyntorKyntor Member Posts: 280

Originally posted by Ponico

That's a great move by CCP. More people means more content. Yep... people are the content of the game. Without people, you can't buy or sell items, you have no one to kill... no politics, no life, empty system and worse...

However, CCP needs to find a way to make 0.0 space easier for everyone to get in.
    I am not too sure that they need to mess with 0.0 space.  A lot of people like nullsec the way it is.  Instead of changing what is popular about the game (for a large number of people) they would do better to add a different dimension to the game.

I would like to see CCP add a new expansion where Empire is at war with an alien species.  They could have military sectors with lots of PVE content (maybe even some PVE fleet content) where PVP is consentual and some border systems where PVP is not consentual.

I have always felt that this game could be a lot more successful if they opened the game up a little bit to other playstyles.

"Those who dislike things based only on the fact that they are popular are just as shallow and superficial as those who only like them for the same reason."

• KulthosKulthos Member Posts: 89

Originally posted by Token1337Guy

I'm not sure I can agree with that.  4000 people spread across all the systems in EVE would be underpopulated.  You'd hardly see anyone as you flew around.

You want to be able to fly around without seeing anyone.   In a hard-core PvP game with a high death penalty, you need low populations.  EVE with a high population would have gatecampers at every exit from low security space 24/7.
This discussion has been closed.