Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If content is king why is EQ2 after 4, yes 4, expansions, still lagging behind WoW after 1?

12346»

Comments

• khuzadkhuzad Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Vincenz

Originally posted by Gishgeron

People leaving WoW are just leaving...they aren't going to another MMO, because they never had a previous MMO.  They played it, they had fun, they're done now.

That logic is pretty silly.  Using that chain of thought...NO other MMO would have any players because when people left UO or EQ they would simply have quit the genre altogether.

If people liked WoW, you can bet they now have their eye on the genre.  I would expect many of them hear about other MMO's from guildmates and group members while playing WoW.  It would be ignorant to suggest they aren't looking into it.

Actually, no...that kind of logic is supported by all the numbers.  The FACT is, WoW has it's numbers because it's drawn a HUGE number of non-traditional PC gamers or MMO'ers.  What, 10 times Everquest at it's peak?  You really think suddenly 9 million more people decided to play MMO's or do you think that WoW was mainstream enough, simple enough to install, play, and enjoy, that the other 9 million said "what the hell".

Those people didn't go find a new MMO, those people said "I have to go to work again" or "I have to pay attention to my girlfriend again" or simply "I have been spending far too much time on a VIDEO GAME" and they moved on.

MOST people in the world have no need for the next best MMO, because they don't play them...the extra 9 million people drawn into WoW were drawn there as a one time deal, IMO, and won't be back for the next, best, thing.

Well my experience says that this train of thought is very incorrect... Our EQ2 guild has grown alot in the last 2 to 3 months... We have about 20 ex-WOW players that have come over to EQ2... well over half had never played an MMORPG before... They have stated that they ran out of things to do... so they came lookin for more content...

WOW is kinda like a  gateway drug... lol

Gets people hooked and then they move on to the harder stuff... =P

Peace

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

People leaving WoW are just leaving...they aren't going to another MMO, because they never had a previous MMO.  They played it, they had fun, they're done now.

That logic is pretty silly.  Using that chain of thought...NO other MMO would have any players because when people left UO or EQ they would simply have quit the genre altogether.

If people liked WoW, you can bet they now have their eye on the genre.  I would expect many of them hear about other MMO's from guildmates and group members while playing WoW.  It would be ignorant to suggest they aren't looking into it.

It doesn’t follow that because EQ and UO players went to other games so will WoW players.  The simple fact is that WoW has 2-3 times as many former players then the total number of people who have tried all other subscription based MMO’s combined. There is no possible way WoW players can be moving to other games and expanding the MMO player base or we would have seen evidence by now. In fact just the opposite has happened, the number of people trying other MMO’s has plummeted since WoW launched.  

If people suggesting these people are waiting on WAR or AoC are correct then these games should launch with somewhere between 2-5 million players each.  That will not happen. They will launch with ~200K players and either go up slightly if the launch is successful or drop significantly if it isn’t.  
  • ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by Vrazule

I'm still trying to figure out where you people get the factual numbers that indicate millions of people have quit WoW?  Do you have these reports, where are the links to these factual documents?  I have seen no indication that WoW has anywhere close to the millions of turnovers you talk about.
    Even if that were remotely true, I see evidence all the time on the boards that people who don't like the current crop of games are "Waiting" for AoC and WAR.  Seems to me that it's more logical that people would wait for future games than stop playing the genre cold turkey.  I mean, WoW is still growing and not just by a little nor is it shrinking, which means people are enjoying this particular MMO and will likely try another.
    You people keep spewing your arguments as facts with nothing to back them up, not even plausible conjecture.  If these newbies liked WoW, which is most likely the case considering it's visible retention of players, how do you come to the conclusion that the majority of them will quit playing MMOs when they finish with WoW?  Logic would dictate otherwise.

People get the idea that millions of people have left WoW because EQ1 had a very high attrition rate.  50% or higher.  The box actually sold a million copies.  But going from most videogames to EQ was like going from a massage table to a waterboard.  WoW is much more accessible and I doubt they've lost subscribers in the same proportions that EQ did.

On your last point I totally agree.  One idiot here just said his argument was "fact" when there's not a single fact out there to back up his baseless assumption.  Most likely alot of people have quit or taken a break from WoW and tried other games such as EQ2 and simply did not like it. 

And it isn't like the EQ2 trial is protected by a hidden internet labyrinth that requires a "American Treasure"-type quest to uncover it.  Sony has many other successful consumer products that cause people to browse their website every day.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• Arthmis1Arthmis1 Member Posts: 21

You guys drive me crazy!! Wow just broke a record breaking 10 million subscribers last month.  Go to Worldofwarcraft.com and you will see it right on the top.  Were do you people come up with this shit!

• XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

Originally posted by Daffid011
    I agree that most people in WoW are most likely waiting for WoW or AoC which is the reason other MMOs are not bursting at the seams with drops offs from WoW.

I try to be clear that I am speculating when I say "most likely" before guessing how many people have played WoW. I can make that an educated guess based on how many people I have seen come and go in WoW guilds/social circles I've been in (and also how many seem to return). Furthermore since WoW has been on the top 5 best selling PC software every month since release I can only guess that they are selling far more copies over 3 years than they have retained. I try to be clear that I'm speculating, but even if blizzard retained 9 out of every ten players that have ever bought a copy that would still be over a million lost players. Blizzard would have to be near perfect to not have lost at least that many.

I sometimes wonder how strongly people feel associated with the Blizzard brand, how loyal are they to World of Warcraft. The game has attracted a lot of casual players, who may not be as loyal as Blizzard would like or think. They are the kind of players who could jump ship easily to another MMO. Also if content is king then gameplay is queen :p. But yeah gameplay is better in WoW by a long way.

No annoying animated GIF here!

• VincenzVincenz Member Posts: 1,498

Actually what I said was "fact' was this:

"MANY, not all, but MANY WoW players won't have ever played and won't ever play another MMO."

And considering the total MMO market was about 10-20% of what WoW's current numbers are, there's about 8-9 million people playing WoW that never played another MMO...no two ways around that.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by lomiller

It doesn’t follow that because EQ and UO players went to other games so will WoW players.  The simple fact is that WoW has 2-3 times as many former players then the total number of people who have tried all other subscription based MMO’s combined. There is no possible way WoW players can be moving to other games and expanding the MMO player base or we would have seen evidence by now. In fact just the opposite has happened, the number of people trying other MMO’s has plummeted since WoW launched.  

If people suggesting these people are waiting on WAR or AoC are correct then these games should launch with somewhere between 2-5 million players each.  That will not happen. They will launch with ~200K players and either go up slightly if the launch is successful or drop significantly if it isn’t.  

Not even WoW launched with 5 million players man.  They earned it, mostly, by making an MMO so successful that they won over the asian market.

Blizzard just re-wrote what is now the standard for this genre.  The lacking MMO population is more due to the sheer influx of MMO's over the last 4 years than anything else.  The fact remains that WoW is still the most easily accessible MMO out there.  To suggest that the current players won't play ANY other game is insane.  If another game is released that is JUST as accessible and offers an equal amount of attention and content then I stand by my opinion that Blizzard will have bolstered this genre very nicely.

The WoW forums are full of people keeping their eyes on new games.  The general and guild chats overwhelmed with players watching the new games coming up.  What I am suggesting is that, now more than ever, there are a vast amount of people watching the goings on of this genre.  Before WoW the only players were pooled from EQ and UO...and word of mouth was the only way to communicate anything new.  Now that gaming pool is 100X what it was, and I have no doubt that an accessible game will find at least a 300K+ launch, with a steady rise to a least a million players, now.

But you can bet that these players aren't just going to LEAVE WoW at the drop of a hat.  Just as people didn't leave EQ at the drop of a hat.  Those turn-overs must be earned, just as Blizzard did with its MMO.  I won't promise you that either AoC or WAR will accomplish this....but in the very least there is now an uprising demand split in the players of WoW.  Before, this genre was moving ahead by the PvE game....now we have a strict divide between Sandbox, Classic, PvP, and RPG elements regarding what each individual player wants a stronger focus on.

This divide will ensure that the market will have to expand.  Pop culture does not often destroy a concept, but instead make it available to the masses.  Every outlet of the entertainment industry has seen this.  Rap was not the massive force it is today some years ago.  Once Pop Culture embraced it, the desire for it grew and so did the available artist producing it.  I think we can safely say that more people listen to Rap now that did 10 years ago.  We can also say they didn't just hop off the genre bandwagon once the initial Pop realization occured.

I have no reason to assume it will happen here either.

• SempaiEclipseSempaiEclipse Member Posts: 164

Originally posted by SempaiEclipse

Originally posted by Orca

Originally posted by METALDRAG0N

Originally posted by Orca

PvE... Need say nemore?

Yes because meost other MMO's have PvE too including EQ2

I see just because you have many post on the forum, it doesn't sort these kind of replies away.

Yes, EQ2 is PvE only(mostly, with very inbalanced PvP). The reason why WoW > EQ2 sub-wise, is bcuz WoW has a very balanced Players VS Player environment(AKA PvP).

So no matter how much content you add to a game, if you don't have a basis for PvP, you will leave a huge playerbase behind.

PVP is better in EQ2..  ;)

No the reason WoW has more subs is because Blizzard big fanbase.. They are loyal as hell also.. They won't even try another MMO besides WoW unless it's made by Blizzard, lol.

Also WoW vs most MMO the devs doesn't add lot of content..lol

I naturally disagree with this.....because in no way has Blizzard made 10 Million Die Hards pre-WoW.  But for the sake of arguement......

If so, why is it do you think that their fans are so loyal?  I'll answer for you.  Because they are loyal to their fans.  Blizzard goes above and beyond the call of duty to make sure they do the best they can for their players.  Every other company goes only as far as they have to in order to bleed the walking wallet.  I'm not saying there aren't great MMO's out there, there are plenty good ones that do a great job.  IN fact, the guys behind City of Heros will always have my respect because they really did a great job with that game.  THey also did something good for the production community by releasing their engine public to give fledgling workers something to start with and get that experience under their belt.

For all of my personal issues with WoW....I cannot say one ill thing of Blizzard as a company.  They are one of the few last companies that actually care two bits about its consumer.

Blizzard made laid back MMO, anyone can play WoW and get the hang of it in less then 30mins too an hour. Its not hardcore at all.

Blizzard isn't that great they add very little content to WoW.. VS want other MMOs devs does and they make the most money.. kind funny.. They also are lazy, they are tons bugs that haven't been fixed yet and they been there for like year.. Blizzard is doign a good job uh?

Most people who play WoW never put time into another MMO like EQ, DAoC, FFXI etc.. They came form WC, SC and Diablo. Blizzard also knows how the hype and market.

I like WoW is fun and laid back, but it's not the best.. And the reason Blizzard got a fanbase this high is because of hardcore loyal fanbase. Half these guys/girls won't touch another MMO no matter how much better it is..

Hell you got a lot saying every new MMO is rip off of WoW.. When it was WoW that ripped off  a lot of MMOs.

Thanks Impyriel for the sig^^

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

That argument only works when discussing the initial draw of the game.  If WoW didn't deliver, they would not retain nor would they have expanded as exponentially as they have.  Diehard or not, people aren't going to hang around if the game's fun factor and game mechanics are worse than it's competitiors.  They would logically move to these other games if they were superior.  Superior of course is rather subjective, 10 million people think that WoW is superior for whatever reasons.  They damn well know what these other games have to offer, either from the web, the boards or from guilds or in game chat fests about EQ, EQ2, DAoC, EVE, AO and upcoming games that I hear being talked about in city and barrens chat on a regular basis.

These theories that all of these new MMO players are uninformed morons is beyond belief.  Everyone uses the net now, whether they're vets, newbs or just non-players.  If a person is at all interested in the genre, I bet you the bottom dollar they look to see what's available, old and new.

Hasn't history already proven that newbies to the genre have a habit of sticking around?  I mean, you and I were once newbies and we stuck around.  How the hell do you come up with this fantasy that all or most of these people are going to quit MMO's after they're done with WoW?  MMOs are addictive and I guarantee you at least half if not much more are new addicts and will be trying out more MMOs in the future.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Xenduli

I sometimes wonder how strongly people feel associated with the Blizzard brand, how loyal are they to World of Warcraft. The game has attracted a lot of casual players, who may not be as loyal as Blizzard would like or think. They are the kind of players who could jump ship easily to another MMO. Also if content is king then gameplay is queen :p. But yeah gameplay is better in WoW by a long way.

I really agree with what you are saying.  I don't think blizzard is such a runaway success due to some sort of brand loyalty at all.  Most of the people I meet in game are salty MMO vets from other games.

It is my opinion that there is a large portion of the WoW player base is chomping at the bit for a new game to play.  If Warhammer delivers a solid game then I think people are going to be surprised at how well the game is going to do.  Conan might do the same too if it doesn't price itself out of a large audience with super high recommended computer specs or pull another Vanguard launch. 

The reason other games haven't swelled in population is because they don't deliver anywhere near the level of gameplay that WoW offers.  All these theories that WoW players live in some information black hole and don't know about other games is just people putting blinders on.  Equally blinding is the theory that WoW keeps gaining subscriber for any other reason than it offers solid gameplay. 

• EchobeEchobe Member Posts: 262

It's a personal decision for me. I refuse to play any game that has the SOE moniker on the box.

After SWG, I have learned to despite SOE's business practices. So Blizzard will get my money long before SOE. Quality is not a factor when SOE is involved.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Originally posted by Xenduli
    Originally posted here --> http://commonsensegamer.com/?p=296

My wife tried EQ2 a while back when I started playing again after a two year absence….this was before EoF. She stopped playing after about level 12 I think. I asked her why at the time and she said she found things very hard to find within EQ2. Quoting her:
    The reason that I didn’t like EQ2 was that I found many quests lacked the details to be able to easily complete them. I also really disliked the professions like the crafting. When I play, I like to be able to go and just play. I’m a very casual gamer. When I asked for direction or help on the main chat, I never got an answer. I was reliant on my husband (if he remembered what to do). As a result, WoW started to look better. Thottbot will tell you how to do any quest and the directions are quite accurate. If I ask a question on the general chat, it is rare that I don’t get an answer. The guild for Wow was also great. The biggest down size of Wow is that I’m at Level 70 and although I haven’t finished the quests in the new zone (I still have about 1/3 of them left), my motivation to do them has dropped. Who knows, it might be that the summer is here and I would prefer to be outside.WoW was her first MMO and she was very accustomed to being told how to progress from one thing to the next. She’s use to looking things up in Thottbot and such and she just couldn’t make the transition.

All you have to do is listen to what she just said.  What she's talking about is entertainment.  What a lot of gamers forget is that games are entertainment too.  A lot of people just want to sit down and enjoy themselves.  They aren't interested in trying to "beat the game".  So for them, anything more difficult than having to look up where to go in thottbot to complete the quest is frustrating.  They aren't looking for a challenge, they are just trying to waist a bit of time and enjoy themselves while doing it.  This is what WoW offers to them.  That doesn't appeal to everyone, but it does appeal to a lot of people.  What's wrong with that?

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Zarraa

Originally posted by CleffyII

I think its simple.  EQ2 is painful to watch, and cmon why would you be playing a "Video" game if you weren't planning to look at the screen.

I disagree. 

WOW is allot more painful on the eyes than EQII even pre SOGA models.  What's simple is WOW is more fun than EQII and In the end fun trumps all.

While I maintain EQII is the more complete title, WOW is jump in and play and that's perfect for adults and children alike. In today's busy world being able to log in for an hour and get away if you will accounts for allot.

thats why such a simple and silly game like wow is so succesfull you jump in and play hour and logoff, or use it as chatroom, majority use wow as chatroom.

My neighbour who lives above me, plays wow and he play now for about 9 months getting piece for his tier5 armor, it takes so long becouse most are so busy standing in some town chatting or just fooling around ingame and talking in teamspeak lol.

Saw him few times planning a raid in some dungeon in outerland and failed several times becouse they screwing around alot in that game and more busy chatting then doing anything:P

Its just one big chatting machine wow.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Yeah, 10 million people play exactly like your neighbor.  Just standing around chatting.