Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

will this game die with WAR on the horizon?

I think this game is going to take a big hit when it's current population gets a taste of how simaler and better war is over this game.  Don't get me wrong, I think this is a solid game, but WAR is in a much better position, and this game is getting pretty old.

Elite poster by 82

Comments

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

The future of DAOC is uncertain..as was the future of EQ when EQ2 came out. Or UO, or AO. These games survive because they are decent games in and of themselves. I agree that many players who play DAOC will likely try WAR. HOwever will they abandon DAOC? That part is still unclear. People cannot play just one game strictly for a long period. People do like to take breaks from games and many, these days, are heading back to DAOC.

Also Mythic may have plans for DAOC to allow it to compliment WAR rather than compete against it. As an example, They may offer free play on DAOC for everyone who plays WAR (I think this is a smart option). That way, when WAR players get a little burnt and want to take abreak, they can go to daoc for no (additional) cost and have fun. Players get thier break and mythic doesnt lose players to ther MMORPG companies.

Time will tell

Torrential

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

If you visit the Camelot Herald, you can see how few subscribers remain for DaOC.  And most are in europe.  I expect virtually ALL the european ones to move to WAR (a Euro original miniatures game).

If Mythic / EA were smart, they would offer all current DAoC players a free three month run to switch to WAR and then shut down DAoC.

It's day is over.

• TvveakerTvveaker Member UncommonPosts: 16

3 Months, oO

• TheICETheICE Member UncommonPosts: 120

Personally i think daoc will still have alot of people playing after warhammer, First reason is there is 3 realms which make it unqiue and warhammer has 2, Also Daoc does not have the crybabys that warhammer will have and by crybabys i mean the ones saying nerf this class if they die to it one time. Also all post wow games suck in my opinion and alot of old timers of mmo's agree. I think alot will like warhammer but i feel daoc still will have enough people to support it for a few servers, Also Daoc has stealth and mezz classes which are fun and warhammer will not.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

WAR will have minimal impact on DAOC population unless WAR delivers a playing experience similar to DAOC.  WAR will be a different type of playing experience in terms of quests, RvR, PvE, character classes etc.  The only thing that will be shared is the RvR focus. 

This is not to mean DAOC will be around for years to come, but WAR will have a minimal impact. 

Also the herald does not report subscriber numbers, it reports the number of players on at any given time.  That number is important for players, but it is not important for DAOC.  DAOC relies on the number of subscribers which is much larger than what the herald says.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Although Mythic makes both games, I think WAR will be quite different than DAOC in many ways and the old school Dark Age players are going go back to it in the end.  They'll always be people playing DAOC, even if its just on a few servers.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• smitty0356smitty0356 Member Posts: 368

They better start giving the game away though, because the key difference between the two besides what has already been mentioned (which were game issues) is that WAR is newer, with "better" pvp (we'll see), and more world.

I wouldn't play DAoC if I didn't already own the game once WAR comes out.  It's like buying an '85 taurus when you can get the '08 for nearly the same price.

Elite poster by 82

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

We don't know how  WAR will be accepted by players. My personal view is if WAR offers similar experiences to DAOC...you can turn out it's lights.

• kweingarkweingar Member Posts: 7

Aye I must say WAr is looking too much like WoW which means it wont impact Daoc at all. The reason alot of people playing daoc is because of how bad the pvp in wow is comparitivly.

• kweingarkweingar Member Posts: 7

if Mythic plays cards right they will only be stealing subscribers from wow and not hurting Daoc player base at all. Which from everything ive seen of war its looking like a revamped wow.

• KokushibyouKokushibyou Member UncommonPosts: 230

Originally posted by Czzarre

Also Mythic may have plans for DAOC to allow it to compliment WAR rather than compete against it. As an example, They may offer free play on DAOC for everyone who plays WAR (I think this is a smart option). That way, when WAR players get a little burnt and want to take abreak, they can go to daoc for no (additional) cost and have fun. Players get thier break and mythic doesnt lose players to ther MMORPG companies.
    Time will tell
    Torrential

I hope they do this, I would love to see DaoC get a little boost in population.  I look forward to WAR, but I think it is going to be a very different style of RvR from DaoC.  I could see myself switching back and forth if there were enough people on DaoC to make it fun again.

• NazarosNazaros Member Posts: 215

I do believe they will pull the plug on Daoc once WAR releases, especially if it's a big success. I don't think EA will invest any kind of ressources in Daoc anymore, which will be the end of it.

What deserves to be done, deserves to be "well" done...

• ParaTrooperParaTrooper Member Posts: 1,961

Unfortunatly I think most DAOC people will jump right over to WAR and sooner or later it will close. It's a pitty really because DAOC was such a good game. I'd definantly like to see some sort of DAOC2 a few years down the road though :) Oh how I miss those good old days.

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
    -----------------------------------------
    ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

• TraceGaleIIITraceGaleIII Member Posts: 48

I just reinsalled my DAoC and im having more fun with it then i have ever

WAR ,to me, looks like it's going to Look like a darker WoW but play like DAoC but nonetheless i still wanna play it just becuase its mythic made with tainted ol EA.

I honestly doubt it'll hit DAOC as hard as some people think,alot of people are going to manage their DAoC accounts and still play WAR cause most of the ones playing it now are the elders,the old pros that love the game

DAoC wont die,eventually mythic will go back to it and probably try to revamp it. Mythic dosent have much to lose. They'll think of something

They should make DAoC free to play for all of the WAR players. Like Torriental said .

That way when WAR gamers get burned out they can switch to DAOC then go back when they feel like killing more.

Makes sense

• hakken9hakken9 Member Posts: 8

I think the biggest reason for a drop in palyers is that there is no advertising anymore. No spots on websites, in mags or even on g4. Hell if g4 was to run a show and talkabout daoc i think it would get a large influx of gamers. It has the best pvp of all. Im thinking of coming back myself sometime real soon and cant wait to dust off my thane on guinnevere, and crack some alb heads.

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Yes, it will die.

It has less than two server's worth of players as it is now.

Think of WAR as RvR 2nd Edition.

Except for those few diehards that just do not ever want to give up, many DAoC players will move over.  Those that are left will soon follow as the zones really empty out.

DAoC was a great game.  But it's whole point of being, RvR, needs a critical mass of population to work.

Time to move on.

• bonespiritbonespirit Member Posts: 37

i doubt if WaR makes a big success

it will be remembered as one of WoW's clones

3 realm is more versatile imho

• EranuEranu Member Posts: 191

If they implement the pvp side in WAR as good as daoc was in its heyday i seriously doubt the sutainability in daoc

Greatness is difficult to appreciate from close up. The great mountain on the horizon is only the ground when you are standing on it.

• smitty0356smitty0356 Member Posts: 368

It's arguable that DAoC is already a dying game... I just think inner-competition by the dev's will only further it's already downward trend.

Elite poster by 82

• SidoxsSidoxs Member Posts: 103

It wont die, warhammer is nothing like daoc, warhammer is a raiding game, daoc is not

HOGG4LIFE

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Shoal

Think of WAR as RvR 2nd Edition.

Maybe.  But I'm thinking WAR is going to differ from DAOC's combat in some very significant ways (i.e. no stealth) that will eventually drive some players back to DAOC.

I expect it to be around for a bit longer than most folks believe, though it is owned by EA now who has certainly shown they have no qualms shutting down under performing MMO's.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FESjohnFESjohn Member Posts: 46

i will try WAR but i think i  will end up going back daoc daoc you do not need to pvp in WAR you i like pvp but sometimes you just like going pve i think that wil lbe alot of the diffrence for me and other players

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

Worldwide I do not think there are even ever 20,000 players on concurrently, though I admit I do not monitor the Camelot Herald closely enough to say that with complete confidence.

Between Aion, Age of Conan, and most of all Warhammer Online, as well as other upcoming MMORPGs, how many of these will be left?

It is tough to say, but I think we can agree the numbers will only go down, particularly when WAR lands since it provides a similar RvR fix. It is being marketed and developed very much as the successor to DAoC, though obviously there are many differences.

Also, I do not think drawing comparisons to EverQuest 1 and EverQuest II is a good idea, for many reasons, but primarily because EverQuest is an institution, a legend, etc., and those are damn near impossible to kill. Also, SOE pumps out a lot of content for it and, though it might not be excellent, it fuels the game.

There is some critical number that will cause DAoC to shut down, of that you can be sure. I cannot say what it is, but clearly EA Mythic will shut it down when it either is no longer profitable or produces so little profit that its existence is not worth the effort.

Personally, and this is purely speculation, I think by the end of 2008, DAoC will have fewer than 8,000 concurrent players at peak times, and by the end of 2009 will have fewer than 5,000, leading it to be closed or put on life support, which is almost as good as closed, since it will not longer be updated.

Already I doubt there will be many more substantial additions to the game. When WAR drops, I would not be surprised if it was relegated to minor things and bug fixes, and a game cannot survive on those forever.

Anyway, DAoC may not be dead, but it has been dying for years already. WAR could prove to be the final blow needed to send it into MMORPG history.

• zballzball Member Posts: 51

I think you need to look again the PVP and the game itself in WH looks cool way better than WOW .   I think WOW the game and leveling is much more fun than DAOC but the PVP in DAOC is the best I have seen for any  game.  

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by Sornin

Worldwide I do not think there are even ever 20,000 players on concurrently, though I admit I do not monitor the Camelot Herald closely enough to say that with complete confidence.
    Between Aion, Age of Conan, and most of all Warhammer Online, as well as other upcoming MMORPGs, how many of these will be left?
    It is tough to say, but I think we can agree the numbers will only go down, particularly when WAR lands since it provides a similar RvR fix. It is being marketed and developed very much as the successor to DAoC, though obviously there are many differences.
    Also, I do not think drawing comparisons to EverQuest 1 and EverQuest II is a good idea, for many reasons, but primarily because EverQuest is an institution, a legend, etc., and those are damn near impossible to kill. Also, SOE pumps out a lot of content for it and, though it might not be excellent, it fuels the game.
    There is some critical number that will cause DAoC to shut down, of that you can be sure. I cannot say what it is, but clearly EA Mythic will shut it down when it either is no longer profitable or produces so little profit that its existence is not worth the effort.
    Personally, and this is purely speculation, I think by the end of 2008, DAoC will have fewer than 8,000 concurrent players at peak times, and by the end of 2009 will have fewer than 5,000, leading it to be closed or put on life support, which is almost as good as closed, since it will not longer be updated.
    Already I doubt there will be many more substantial additions to the game. When WAR drops, I would not be surprised if it was relegated to minor things and bug fixes, and a game cannot survive on those forever.
    Anyway, DAoC may not be dead, but it has been dying for years already. WAR could prove to be the final blow needed to send it into MMORPG history.

Or... once numbers get to the critical level, they could consider adding a cash-shop, making it free to play, and doing some online advertising about it. Of course, I'm in no way in favor of cash-shops (in fact, I can't stand the thought of them) but if it gives the game a chance to live on, I could deal with it.

I just think it would be a real shame to see such a great game thrown in the proverbial garbage can, and considering how well this option has worked for other games (namely RF online, which had to open up two extra servers once they went free to play) I think that it's atleast a viable, last resort option for DAoC.

I would have suggested Anarchy onine's in-game advertising model as a possibility, but I think we can all agree that seeing a mountain dew advertisment on the side of a castle wall might hinder the immersion factor...just a bit :P.