Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Incoming! MMORPGs of 2008 !

With a new year coming upon us we have the incredible opportunity to experience new MMORPGs. It was the same last year, as we were all antipating the releases of Tabula Rasa, Lord of the Rings Online, Vanguard Saga of Heroes, and Warhammer online (still). This year we have a bunch more titles coming, and there is quite the selection. So, without further ado, I bring you the expected MMORPGs of 2008 listed with the most up-to-date release dates that I could find. Everything here is chronologically organized as best as possible. Enjoy:

Pirates of the Brunning sea: 1/22/08 (Pre-order now and you get to play now) 

2moons: 1Q 2008

Age of Armor: 1Q 2008

The Chronicles of Spellborn: 1Q 2008

World of Kung Fu: 1Q 2008

Age of Conan: 3/25/08

Godswar Online: 2Q 2008

Warhammer Online: 2Q 2008 (Whoo!)

Wonderland Online: 2Q 2008 

Zu online: 2Q 2008 

Stargate Worlds: 4Q 2008

AION: 2008

Huxley: 2008

Tales of Pirates: 2008

Awesome right? Here we have our basic look at the MMORPGs that are roughly scheduled to be released this year. Obviously some of these dates are more concrete, like Pirates of the Burning Sea which is on schedule to meet it's 1/22/08 date. Other's like Warhammer Online have a possibility of being pushed back a few months, and even then some like Stargate Worlds will probably not get released this year at all. Just a hunch.

Also worth noting is that although there are a few triple-A titles, like Warhammer Online and Chronicles of Spellborn, this year also has it's fair share of shovelware. Prepare to see more and more titles like Zu Online, and Wonderland Online hit the digital domain this year.

Every date, prediction, and event scheduled here at MMOCrunch is, as always, subject to change via the developers whimsies and timing ethics. Thanks for reading. 

Hey Everyone

Comments

• candygirl6candygirl6 Member Posts: 412

Oh my, we went from fantasy MMO's to pirate and kung fu..the horror XD.

• stylusncstylusnc Member Posts: 6

Age of Conan release is now slated for 5/20/08.

• XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

I know it is only an expansion, but no-one in the MMORPG industry can ignore Wrath of the Lich King. Simply because no one dare release 1 month around it, that would be commercial suicide. Look at what happened to Vanguard, although that was on a collision course with itself anyway.

Not only that, but Blizzard are going to release Starcraft 2 and they still haven't announced what their super-secret new MMO is. Large speculation is that it is one set in the Starcraft Universe, since when SC2 is released they will gain a new legion of fans who may not find their fantasy based one appealing.

Even though there were a lot of Blizzard fans already, World of Warcraft has gained them loads of new ones, which has made their back catalogue of Warcraft 3, Diablo 1/2, Starcraft sold well too.

What Blizzard has done was and still is phenomenal, no-one not even themselves knew how successful WoW would be. It is like there is a split in the history of MMO's, pre-WoW and post-WoW.

No annoying animated GIF here!

• VincenzVincenz Member Posts: 1,498

Originally posted by stylusnc

Age of Conan release is now slated for 5/20/08.

They've now made this list 3 years and counting

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

What I really want to see is a good sci-fi MMORPG. I have been playing fantasy MMORPG since EQ (beta tested UO and did not like it), and now WOW. I highly doubt that the new crop of fantasy games will be much different.

I really want a good sci-fi one to complement WOW. I have a family & a full time job so I can only play casually. I tried EVE online. It is good but the hardcore PvP aspect scares me a bit. Anarchy online is a bit dated (may be the graphical update will make it good). And I don't like Tabula Rasa.

So far Stargate Worlds look good. Star Trek Online has been moved from one developer to another and I don't know whether it will even come out.

I am hoping Blizzard will make World of Starcraft and make it casual friendly. OTOH, i hope it is not just WOW in different graphics. At a minimum, some kind of space ship combat, vehicles and mecha will be nice.

• XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

A lot of people look at World of Warcraft from a cosmetic viewpoint and say "Yeah cartoon graphics...", but from a technical point of view it does a lot of things right. The responsive of the game compared to others is outstanding, okay in heavy cases of lag it isn't great but what game is under heavy lag. The stability is also highly regarded, when players say that they've done a 12 hour session of WoW, did they mention doing that without WoW crashing. Probably not.

World of Starcraft could have 3 player factions as opposed to the Horde and Alliance. I don't know how that would affect PvP and how battlegrounds / arenas / whatever would work. I know let's just throw them all together and last one standing ones. Now THAT would be fun. Do 2 of them gang up on the other one then duke it out or would it just be free for all. OMFG.

No annoying animated GIF here!

• JrodJrod Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by CCDeathCC

Highlighted the one's that I personally think will be the bestimo. Also, you forgot Jumpgate Evolution http://www.jumpgateevolution.com/index.php which also looks very good imo.

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Highlighted - the ones I don't think will release in 2k8. 

Looking forward to Aion and AoC

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• N1ghtsta1kerN1ghtsta1ker Member Posts: 112

Warhammer Online: 2Q 2008 (Boo!)

Highlighted the only one that matters

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

With a new year coming upon us we have the incredible opportunity to experience new MMORPGs. It was the same last year, as we were all antipating the releases of Tabula Rasa, Lord of the Rings Online, Vanguard Saga of Heroes, and Warhammer online (still). This year we have a bunch more titles coming, and there is quite the selection. So, without further ado, I bring you the expected MMORPGs of 2008 listed with the most up-to-date release dates that I could find. Everything here is chronologically organized as best as possible. Enjoy:

Awesome right? Here we have our basic look at the MMORPGs that are roughly scheduled to be released this year. Obviously some of these dates are more concrete, like Pirates of the Burning Sea which is on schedule to meet it's 1/22/08 date. Other's like Warhammer Online have a possibility of being pushed back a few months, and even then some like Stargate Worlds will probably not get released this year at all. Just a hunch.

Also worth noting is that although there are a few triple-A titles, like Warhammer Online and Chronicles of Spellborn, this year also has it's fair share of shovelware. Prepare to see more and more titles like Zu Online, and Wonderland Online hit the digital domain this year.

Every date, prediction, and event scheduled here at MMOCrunch is, as always, subject to change via the developers whimsies and timing ethics. Thanks for reading. 

fixed list

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Where is my Fallen Earth??? Damn slackers.....finish the darn game already or at least put out some news....throw in a bone or something...anything

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

You forgot to add Darkfall

oh wait...

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

I can't find a single release that seems appealing to me on the list. Last year it had 2 pieces, now there's none. Unless Darkfall is there, we have nothing to be anxious about.

REALITY CHECK

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Originally posted by Thillian

I can't find a single release that seems appealing to me on the list. Last year it had 2 pieces, now there's none. Unless Darkfall is there, we have nothing to be anxious about.

So true, the future looks bleak, another single player/console game year ahead, as it seems.

Peggle is the best game ever!

• CCDeathCCCCDeathCC Member Posts: 128

guys not every mmo i can add i dont know all released date so go check it by yourself

Hey Everyone

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772

TCOS is the only one I am looking forward to this year. I would also be looking forward to Jumpgate, and Stargate but I was under the impression they are still in Alpha so a 2008 release does not sound very likely.

Tbh I am not interested in Warhammer or Age of Conan at all for various reasons, warhammer it is mostly a case of it looking like a WoW clone and I honestly am fed up with everything about Everquest like games.

And Age of Conan it is mostly since I think it will have an immature community, be a lag fest( apparently beta leaks confirm this) over instanced which also beta leaks confirm I had a feeling it would be heavily instanced with the graphics it has, and I honestly can not remember a single game Funcom has made that was any good (at least at release).

If I was really really and I empasize really optimistic I would look forward to Darkfall for perhaps early 2009 if they get into beta sometime this year, but I am more confident Ill win the lottery then that to happen after following it for so long and knowing its better to take a jug of salt( a pinch dont cut it lol) with everything they promise.

• Timberwolf0Timberwolf0 Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by jimsmith08

You forgot to add Darkfall
    oh wait...

Don't you mean darkfail?

• SunriderSunrider Member UncommonPosts: 527

Originally posted by candygirl6
    Oh my, we went from fantasy MMO's to pirate and kung fu..the horror XD.

marry me. please.

lol i completely agree. The only thing we're missing is ninja's, but ninja's are cooler then pirates anyways.

what happened to traditional sci-fi with spaceships and avatar combat?

oh yeah. the NGE.

"And after blizzard takes over the world, they are gonna gather a bunch of lemmings, sit on their fat asses near a cliff, and watch the little fuzzy bastards suicide dive into the ground below. . . . . all just for their own entertainment."

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

Going from the past trend. They might be released, but are they going to be playable?

I like Stargate they best.  I'm tired of fantasy.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

I can has new mmpugger fer thiz year two?

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!