Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPGs Fans.. have you noticed?

mmos sense of attack's impact

western/american/euro/aus/ect..:
- Age of Conan http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21141.html
- Lord of the Rings http://www.gamespot.com/video/914860/6171153/the-lord-of-the-rings-online-shadows-of-angmar-gameplay-movie-13
- Guild Wars http://www.gamespot.com/video/914653/6123665/guild-wars-gameplay-movie-14
- World of Warcraft http://youtube.com/watch?v=2YYHLpOsJjk
- Vanguard http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vanguard/video_player.html?id=JCc3njCo5bkLuzbX
- Gods and Heroes http://www.gamespot.com/video/926725/6166905/gods--heroes-rome-rising-gameplay-movie-2
- many more

eastern/asian
- Lineage 2http://youtube.com/watch?v=eg-T131fkRg
- Mo Xiang http://youtube.com/watch?v=ra_17EcwiUU
- Silkroad http://youtube.com/watch?v=oYCkKXZLLI0
- Aion http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21407.html
- Requiem: Bloodymare http://youtube.com/watch?v=BzFaWnajJ1w
- Shaiya http://youtube.com/watch?v=LqmrJLoKn6U
- many more

Remember this is purely only the sound of attacks.... the sense of the attacks.... the sense of attack's impact.... the sense of impact of the attack.  Not talking what game is better..... just purely for the sense of attack's impact. Also only talking about in MMORPG..... mmorpg's sense of attack's impact..... the sound of the impact when hit.... know im saying? Also all or most asian mmos moves/skills animation are more better and stylish.
In my opinion.... all or most american/euro mmos has weak, soft sound/sense of attack's impact when compare to all or most asian mmos. In asian mmos sense of attack's impact its like you can feel it! 
In Age of Conan pretend theres no roaring sound and focus listening to the sound of hit... the sound of the attack's impact.... you will know it sound so weak.
Do you agree or disagree?

about 75% western's non-mmo title such as:

- Two Worlds
- Beowulf http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/124058.html
- Untold Legends http://www.gametrailers.com/player/14632.html

....has nice melee sense of impact..... but why not in mmorpgs? whats up with that? 75% of westerns non-mmo has nice sense of impact while western's mmo 99.99% doe's not have nice sense of impact. western and mmo jus dont get along? Oh yeah.... If westers mmo is cause its more realistic.... If Age of Conan is more of realistic.... then why Beowulf has nice sense of impact? know im saying?

western and mmos..... whats up?

Comments

• Kazer42Kazer42 Member Posts: 2

Who really cares? What difference does it make if it makes a louder noise when I hit something? I could mess with the sound settings and get a louder sound if I really wanted to, so what does it matter? About attack animations, I think it's more from game to game then western vs eastern.

Also, how come all the games you chose as examples (the non mmos) are horrible games in general? (Just curious.)

<modedit>

• RimmonRimmon Member Posts: 82

.... ... .. .... ..... they are tailored to different audiences.   I can't speak for all of NA and Europe but for me the asian attack sounds and moves are cool for all of about 5 minutes then they start to get annoying.  There is no way I could stand 70 levels of flash bam boom style noises and animations.  Call me boring but I like simple high quality sounds and animations that convey the "sense of the action" well.

... - ..-. ..-

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

It's nice that you're so enthusiastic about loud impact sounds and all. Honestly, loud impact sounds aren't what I look for in an mmorpg. Thanks for pointing that out.

• LilaluLilalu Member Posts: 68

I am european.

I really don´t like most of the asian MMOs. I prefer realistic grafics and not such a comic style lightning at impact. I don´t like the female characters in games like Lineage (I am female and who really would fight in high heels?). The sound never mattered much to me, but I guess it could get very annoying, if it was to loud.

It´s just a matter of taste of course. Any european who likes the asian MMOs can play them. But it´s very important to have different games für different people. We are not all the same and don´t share the same tastes. The world would be very boring, if we were. So everybody should be able to play an MMO, which suits his/her tastes.

• XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

I find the eastern ones sound FX to be ostentatious. Totally different cultures, the Asian games tend to be less 'realistic' although it's really hard to demonstrate how with MMO's since most of them are fantasy based. It tends to actually be a 1-way steet, a lot of Asian [games, not just MMO's] are pretty popular in the western world, but the reverse isn't usually the case.

No annoying animated GIF here!

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

I don't really care how loud the sounds are, and I hate all the ridiculous flashy lights in those Asian MMOs.

What I think needs to change is that there needs to be a lot more metal banging on metal, instead of metal slicing into flesh.

Think about your typical movie sword fight.  Lots of attacking and parrying, but very few actual hits.

That, IMHO, would make MMO combat more satisfying.

• TecknicTecknic Member Posts: 458

I think the difference is very simple.  Hacking Vs. Slashing.  The Age of Conan and Silkroad videos are the best points for this argument, so take a look at them if you haven't yet.

Hacking, as in Age of Conan, is basically the more realistic version.  It's not flashy, it doesn't have cartoonish effects surrounding it, but it is brutish and effective.  Brutish and effective are exactly what a game like Age of Conan needs.  If combat ran like in Silkroad, well, it just wouldn't be Conan anymore.

The same goes for Silkroad's flashy, effects-filled techniques.  The game simply wouldn't be the same experience if the combat was not over the top, and it is better off having the style that it has.

I see it simply.  What sort of combat works for your game?  If you're going for realism, then having your blades make a stylish "shing" when they cleave cleanly through enemies might not be your best option.  Conversely, if you want an effects-filled, flowery fighting style, then having your game set in the gory, barbaric dark ages might not be the best choice.

Making the exact same sound when you're punched and when you're stabbed, however, just seems a bit lazy.  But that's for another time and another post.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Playing: Nothing
    Played: Champions Online, CoX, STO, PSO, WoW, lots of free-to-play crap
    Looking Forward To: DC Universe Online, Blade and Soul

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

western ones are way better. asian ones are silly anime, flash, bang, pokemon pops out, sword turns pink, does 20 backflips etc. style.

if you like that fine. but the 2 markets have different tastes. I stick to my realism anyday thanks.

My blog: image

• NewMonsterNewMonster Member Posts: 417

Originally posted by Tecknic

Hacking, as in Age of Conan, is basically the more realistic version.  It's not flashy, it doesn't have cartoonish effects surrounding it, but it is brutish and effective.  Brutish and effective are exactly what a game like Age of Conan needs.  If combat ran like in Silkroad, well, it just wouldn't be Conan anymore.

age of conan is more of realistic...... beowulf is more of realistic as well.  beowulf is brutal, gory and realistic with splendid sense of impact and sound of impact while age of conan is brutal, gory and realistic with weak  sense of impact and sound of impact. if western really goes by the lore and realism.... then why BeoWulf still has splendud sense and sound of impact while keeping it realistic? im thinking its jus western and mmos.....

If western mmos really goes by the lore and realism...... why Guild Wars has colorful skill animation? but their sound of impact is soft and weak. if western mmos really goes by the lore and realism..... why world of warcraft has colorful and flashy skill animation? but their sense of impact and sound of impact still soft and weak.

Originally posted by rikilii

I don't really care how loud the sounds are, and I hate all the ridiculous flashy lights in those Asian MMOs.

What I think needs to change is that there needs to be a lot more metal banging on metal, instead of metal slicing into flesh.
    Think about your typical movie sword fight.  Lots of attacking and parrying, but very few actual hits.
    That, IMHO, would make MMO combat more satisfying.

its not about how loud the sound of impact is....... its about the sound of the impact. yes if it is more cling cling metal to metal it would be great but  it all determine by the sense and sound of the impact for it to be greatness...... if the cling cling metal to metal sound like a silver spoon to silver spoon.... then it will not be great...... if the sense and sound like big heavy steel to big heavy steel..... it would be great.

overall its not about how loud it is..... its about the pitch.......

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

I am all to well aware of our hosts impact.  Its the only reason I post here . I prefer  to peach to the Congregation , All MMO players , not just the Choir . In my cause that would be the disguntled SWG Vets.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• ShadowZEROShadowZERO Member Posts: 102

This is a weird thread for me to respond to.  Normally, I would offer an un-biased opinion based on factual logic.  Unfortunately, you have hit my bias dead on, so I won't be able to.

To sum it up, I'm sort of a reverse racist.  I think Japanese are superior to all other Asians, and Asians in general superior to non-Asians.  I'm a caucasian(a white-boy for you uneducated folk) who lives in America.  IMHO, almost anything Westerners do, Asians can do better.

I do feel that while Asians are technically superior to Westerners in almost every area, Westerners do have some advantage to creative ideas.

I guess to me, what our NewMonster has pointed out here is just one of the many things Asian's do better than us

• HellmarauderHellmarauder Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by ShadowZERO

This is a weird thread for me to respond to.  Normally, I would offer an un-biased opinion based on factual logic.  Unfortunately, you have hit my bias dead on, so I won't be able to.
    To sum it up, I'm sort of a reverse racist.  I think Japanese are superior to all other Asians, and Asians in general superior to non-Asians.  I'm a caucasian(a white-boy for you uneducated folk) who lives in America.  IMHO, almost anything Westerners do, Asians can do better.
    I do feel that while Asians are technically superior to Westerners in almost every area, Westerners do have some advantage to creative ideas.
    I guess to me, what our NewMonster has pointed out here is just one of the many things Asian's do better than us

Japanese got most of their cultural stuff from China.  Japanese also got most of their modern stuff from West.  Now, tell me, how does that prove they're superior to other asians & non-asians??  If anything else, I'd say Japanese are bad at innovation but good at imitation & improvement.  Most ancient stuff you see in Japan are exact copies of chinese Tang dynasty's, from palace architecture & kanji/caligraphy, to geisha dance & tea ceremony, they just do a better job at preserving them than chinese or koreans do over the years because of their isolation from the asia continent.  They were first group of asians to receive western influence with open arms, and that makes them appear more "civilized" in eyes of westerners.

Asians have their own perk, which is they tend to be reserve & detest flashy stuff in real life, so it's no wonder they seek a little more excitement & craziness in cyberworld.  Westerners are more aggressive and openly showy in real life, so western MMO's tend to go opposite with more cooperative play & less flashy graphics.  We all want to do things in MMO that we can't do in real life, that's just our alter ego acting out.   

• LilaluLilalu Member Posts: 68

No one is superior to anyone :D. People are just different and what´s the problem with that?

We are talking about a matter of taste here. Some people like it, others don´t.

Not more and not less.

I do think asian are superior in art and designs..... asian knows fantasy and they even go beyond fantasy. example look at asian mmos armors and weapon then go look at armors and weap in western mmos. or look at metal gear and splinter cell..... while splinter cell is jus ordinary, metal gear is fantasy-ly awesome!

sound effects.... sound of the hit.... and sense of the impact are very important to me.... if those are not satisfied..... I dont play. no need to have flashy skills/moves...... but jus having the sound of impact and sense of impact good is enough for me. example....... in requeim you do a normal default attack and the impact already sound and sense good.

the sound of attacks is more imprtant to me than the music. usually I always play my mmo with in-game sound effect on and in-game music off and play my own music but sometimes if the in-game music is good i leave it on.

- in-game sound effect on

- in-game music off

- play own music

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

Originally posted by ShadowZERO
    This is a weird thread for me to respond to. Normally, I would offer an un-biased opinion based on factual logic. Unfortunately, you have hit my bias dead on, so I won't be able to.
    To sum it up, I'm sort of a reverse racist. I think Japanese are superior to all other Asians, and Asians in general superior to non-Asians. I'm a caucasian(a white-boy for you uneducated folk) who lives in America. IMHO, almost anything Westerners do, Asians can do better.

Not to be rude, but if it wasn't for the so-called inferior Western culture, most of the computer sciences would not exist. No programming, no OOP, no integrated circuits (the father of the modern integrated circuit was from a little town here in Kansas called Liberal), no vaccines, no logic (Boole, Aristotle, Popper, Locke, De Morgan, Rand, and etc...). Basically, no modern civilization. The eastern cultures have languished in savagery and self-centeredness (the Chinese use to believe there country was the only significant one on Earth just as an example of that) longer than the European and African continents have (both continents only experienced about two major dark ages, one just before the rise of ancient Greece, and one during the Black Death) combined. And it wasn't until the 20th century that any significant number of asian nations had any sort of technological prowess, which they gained not from invention, but from cost cutting (they're good at keeping prices low by forcing wages low through government policies, which outlaw private unions and mutual aide societies).

All in all, I wouldn't say they're superior in culture, rather I would say they are inferior, but that's changing. Many asian countries have or are adopting western thought as their mainstay. Even China officially recognizes private property as a right of a human being, despite their communist roots. Whereas we here in the western world are returning to mysticism...

Anyways, enough of my rant, but I hope you don't mind, but you really need to study history far more closely, and philosophy as well. :( But I will give them one thing: they have damn good artists, and Laozi (Lao Tzu) was the first libertarian philosopher by Murray Rothbard's assessment of his work.

-- Brede

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I stopped watching after the Lineage 2 video almost blew my speakers out.  I couldn't get past the guy in white armor doing the same exact combat move 5 times in a row only to be followed by a karate type HIYAH! yelp a giant blue flash and a sword clang.  The actual combat is overpowered by loud noises and exploding flashes.  It brought back memories of being in a coin-op arcade back in the 80's.

The conan video looks very realistic and fluid on the other hand.  The sound took a rightful backseat to the action and didn't overpower the gameplay.

edit: ok I watched most of the videos.  Vangaurd and Gods/heroes are two games that essentially failed on the same level and the warcraft video is of two level 1 noobs fighting.  The LOTRO videos looks to be a PvP monster from beta?  Not the best examples, but I can see what you are saying.

All the asian games sounded pretty bad though.  Just the same sounds repeating with a bunch of screaming and flashes to hide the animations.

*shrug*