Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increased Character Customization...Are You Excited?

For those of you who don't know, Book 12 is bringing about a change in character customization.  You will be able to have your standard base equipment plus two outfits to customize how you deem fit.  Also included is a barbershop where you can obviously change your hair a facial features.

CLICKY FOR INFO

It states in the article that this new style of character customization will allow them to do more stuff like this in the future.  A nice aspect is the increased option in the beginning as well as mid-game.

My question to you now is, is this important or exciting to you?

I like character customization in the beginning, but after I start game play, I play zoomed out as far as possible most of the time to give me a larger field of view.  I do not really notice how I look until the character select screen upon logging in.

I think it is going to be interesting seeing  female character running around in shirts and pants  and male characters running around in dresses.  SHould add a whole new element to role playing.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I am roleplayer. For me it adds a huge value to the game.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Well, I don't care a flying banana, but I have seen many many people complaining for the lack of it, so all in all this is a smart move! 

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I am roleplayer. For me it adds a huge value to the game.

It almost scares me how much we agree... not just here but in general.  I am VERY glad they are adding something like this.  Cheers to Turbine for listening to the community but having wisdom enough to know what is good and what isn't.  Character customization is ALWAYS, i repeat ALWAYS a PLUS.  As a big time RPer on Landroval, this is only good news.  Cheers.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• AanioAanio Member UncommonPosts: 11

I give Kudos to Turbine for one thing in the way they are handling their game.  They update a lot and they do a great job adding new features.  However, the game just doesn't do it for me because of the lack of end game. Other developers of MMO's should follow the lead of Turbine in regards of listening to their customer base.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

One of most important parts of MMO is immersion. To feel this immersion you must create special bound with the character you are playing. You must "love the character! "

But how can you love it if it looks like everyone else. Or , if he wears equipment that looks mismatched and funny as a circus show. Perhaps you want to be a rogue clad in black leather and black hooded cloak , but your stat equipment is yellow and green.

Improved character customization will let us look as we want to. Make you be special and unique.

It will also add more content to the game. Because you will be on a search for those cool clothes

Pssssttt...... Just a small tip

Did you ever seen the Cloak of the Cluck ?

• Bedlem3342Bedlem3342 Member UncommonPosts: 252

I am pumped for the update.I roll a burg and they are gitting some great stuff,lots of creeps will be pissed off.

I am a roleplayer and the rest is history.

GOOD JOB TURBINE!

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Personally, I think it looks really good. The dresses look like the models that had in "Middle Earth Online" before they changed it.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by Torak

Personally, I think it looks really good. The dresses look like the models that had in "Middle Earth Online" before they changed it.

Indeed.  They're probably drawing on some earlier concepts.  Not a bad idea at all.

I hope they add a lot of clothing variety and way more hair styles/details.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

Not excited in the least. Character customization is probably near the bottom of my list for MMO features I look for. I spend maybe two minutes on the character creation screen when I make a new character. I will probably never use the barber shop feature or the decorative clothes.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

I concur with Deacon and Lobot. Ive been waiting for the ability to wear even a decorational backpack in a game for ages! Theres something about the travelling vagabond like I just LOVE!

Put on a decent dark blue cloak, leather pants and armor, wide brimmed hat and a short dagger and Im decked out exactly like I want! I CANT WAIT!

• CartographyCartography Member UncommonPosts: 331

It was a much needed feature in a game with such bland characters/armor imo...

However, Turbine dropped the ball with the outfitting system, instead of being able to pick and choose what shirt, hat, shoes, pants, gloves go with your outfit you are AGAIN confined to a body suit... it's basically a onesy and cannot change any of the features.

This of course doesn't apply to the armor swapping, but I didn't really care about that. The new hairstyles are pretty cool, except for the hobbit male ones... they are fucking terrible, a total joke... unless you like looking like a fat midget slob version of Gene Simmons. The elf male hairstyles aren't that great either, unless you are into emo vampire haircuts. The dwarf styles actually came out great, they have a lot of personality now.

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by logicbox9

It was a much needed feature in a game with such bland characters/armor imo...

However, Turbine dropped the ball with the outfitting system, instead of being able to pick and choose what shirt, hat, shoes, pants, gloves go with your outfit you are AGAIN confined to a body suit... it's basically a onesy and cannot change any of the features.

This of course doesn't apply to the armor swapping, but I didn't really care about that. The new hairstyles are pretty cool, except for the hobbit male ones... they are fucking terrible, a total joke... unless you like looking like a fat midget slob version of Gene Simmons. The elf male hairstyles aren't that great either, unless you are into emo vampire haircuts. The dwarf styles actually came out great, they have a lot of personality now.

I am confused by what you are saying here.  You can currently have seperate looking armor pieces and all you have to do in the outfit aspect is put something in that spot.  Currently wearing medium armor Dwarf gloves but like the look of the light armor elf cotton ones, just place it in the slot and viola your look is changed.  Same goes for chest and pants.  If you choose robes, of course it is going to look like a onesy.  You cover you base armor with the pieces you want.  There will be chest and leg seperates just like there is now.

If you are looking to change indiviual aspects of the armor, I think that might be asking a bit much...maybe a nice fashion program might be for you at that point rather than LOTRO.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• CartographyCartography Member UncommonPosts: 331

I was talking about the outfitting system, the RP clothes... not the armor swap. Sorry if you were confused. The RP clothes cannot be mixed and matched...

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

I was talking about the outfitting system, the RP clothes... not the armor swap. Sorry if you were confused. The RP clothes cannot be mixed and matched...

I believe you are just mistaken then.  You can mix and match RP clothes as you have multiple slots and not just one.  Looking at the first picture below look at the shoulder pads with the armor and then look at the second picture...same shoulder pads can be seen despite the dress.  There would be just one slot to put a preselected outfit in if it were just a onesy.

But How Does It Work?

That's another great question! Take a look at the screenshot below:

Cosmetic Customization!

(Please note, the UI pictured here and below is still a work in progress.)

Once you've reached level 20, you'll have access to a few new tabs in your Character Journal which allow you to toggle between your base Equipment and both Outfits. In the screenshot you can see that the player is on their 1st Outfit. Any item they drag on the corresponding Outfit Slot will be equipped cosmetically, overriding the appearance of the item in their base Equipment slot, as you can see in the following screenshot:

Cosmetic Customization!

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

Originally posted by 8hammer8

I believe you are just mistaken then.  You can mix and match RP clothes as you have multiple slots and not just one.  Looking at the first picture below look at the shoulder pads with the armor and then look at the second picture...same shoulder pads can be seen despite the dress.  There would be just one slot to put a preselected outfit in if it were just a onesy.

But How Does It Work?

That's another great question! Take a look at the screenshot below:

Cosmetic Customization!

(Please note, the UI pictured here and below is still a work in progress.)

Once you've reached level 20, you'll have access to a few new tabs in your Character Journal which allow you to toggle between your base Equipment and both Outfits. In the screenshot you can see that the player is on their 1st Outfit. Any item they drag on the corresponding Outfit Slot will be equipped cosmetically, overriding the appearance of the item in their base Equipment slot, as you can see in the following screenshot:

Cosmetic Customization!

I actually don't like the idea.  These pictures say it all.  Now we're going to see pretty ladies in pretty dresses tanking Drakes.

If they wanted to improve customizability, they should have done it at the item level.

• Bedlem3342Bedlem3342 Member UncommonPosts: 252

[quote][i]Originally posted by rikilii[/i] [b][quote]Originally posted by 8hammer8 [quote]Originally posted by logicbox9 I was talking about the outfitting system, the RP clothes... not the armor swap. Sorry if you were confused. The RP clothes cannot be mixed and matched... [/quote] I believe you are just mistaken then. You can mix and match RP clothes as you have multiple slots and not just one. Looking at the first picture below look at the shoulder pads with the armor and then look at the second picture...same shoulder pads can be seen despite the dress. There would be just one slot to put a preselected outfit in if it were just a onesy. But How Does It Work? That's another great question! Take a look at the screenshot below: [url=http://lorimages.level3.turbine.com/admin_files/96/85/63/81/2110.jpg][image]http://lorimages.level3.turbine.com/admin_files/83/69/57/62/2114.jpg[/image][/url] (Please note, the UI pictured here and below is still a work in progress.) Once you've reached level 20, you'll have access to a few new tabs in your Character Journal which allow you to toggle between your base Equipment and both Outfits. In the screenshot you can see that the player is on their 1[superscript]st[/superscript] Outfit. Any item they drag on the corresponding Outfit Slot will be equipped cosmetically, overriding the appearance of the item in their base Equipment slot, as you can see in the following screenshot: [url=http://lorimages.level3.turbine.com/admin_files/65/84/27/10/2111.jpg][image]http://lorimages.level3.turbine.com/admin_files/25/15/94/48/2115.jpg[/image][/url] [/quote] I actually don't like the idea. These pictures say it all. Now we are going to see pretty ladies in pretty dresses tanking drakes. If they wanted to improve customizability, they should have done it at the item level.[/b][/quote]

Yeah, and whats wrong with that ,just means its a magical dress...  :)  I personally like the new system.

• Jaxom92Jaxom92 Member Posts: 267

Originally posted by rikilii

I actually don't like the idea.  These pictures say it all.  Now we're going to see pretty ladies in pretty dresses tanking Drakes.
    If they wanted to improve customizability, they should have done it at the item level.
    That's a big undertaking - being able to customize individual items. Am I understanding correctly that you want the ability to not just tweak the color (dyes) but the texture of the items? The actualy shape? Does an mmo out there allow that sort of heavy customization? I've only played LOTRO, so I really don't know, but would be interesting in finding out.

Really, the implimentation of such a sophsiticated item customization system would be to the detriment of more pressing issues for future updates. It seems to me that this outfit system gives enough customizability without needing the extra time it would take to create all the little pieces one might put together to form armor (lots and lots and lots of new textures would need to be created). And again, that extra time would need to be taken from other parts of the update (or future updates).

Of course, my final judgement of this system will be reserved until I use it, but until then, it seems to be a good addition to customizability, and the dev journal specifically states being able to add to the features later, since the initial system has been created.

Check out my LOTRO Blog: www.middleearthadventurer.blogspot.com

• LauppLaupp Member Posts: 12

Yea i'm so excited about the 2 new hair styles i can have and *gasp* i can remove my shoulder pads!111 AWESOME!

• LauppLaupp Member Posts: 12

Btw EQ2 has had this for ages , they are just copying it.

• OrionStarOrionStar Member Posts: 378

I like character customization. I might actually play this game for a month now.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

At first I was excited. Then they put it on the test server and I went to take a look. The new options both on creation and in the barbershop where a disapointment. There was a couple new hairstyles and facial options (for male characters) and for female there was a couple more hair and verry minimal facial options, maybe a couple. In the barber shop you could change your hair (good for the rpers I guess) the hair color, eyebrow shape and facial options. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I know I expected more. Especcialy for as long as this book has taken.

On a positive note I loved the new cosmetic clothing feature. Now we have the option to show not only armor but TWO other outfits. I think this was a great idea to offer 2 diffrent cosmetic tabs. For our Kin I am sure this means one of the tabs we may have a specific outfit for Kin events and another for whatever we want. As someone else said, some of the pure cosmetic clothing they added looks nice though the hauberks looks like robes/dresses imo they are still nice.

Some of the other touch-ups they added to the gameplay itself where really nice. Like the option to loot everything with a simple right click instead of holding shift+right click. Sure its only taking out the need for one or 2 extra clicks depending on how you did it, but its still nice. Burgs got alot of neat new skills which looks to make them even more fun. Poor guardians look like they are going to have to go through the same thing as the hunters. A complete change in how the class plays.

Overall I am verry happy with book 12. My only worry is why after almost a year Turbine is making major changes to any class in a PvE based game. Adding skills is fine, the classes where incomplete at launch. But to change major mechanics of a class almost a year after release is bad form IMO. Useing the excuse "wasnt working as intended" only goes so far and you shouldnt wait so long to fix the issue if you know about it. I dont care if each update is specific for certain classes. If its broke fix it, dont let you playerbase play like that for almost a year and then say "opps sorry, relearn how to play with some big changes to your key skills".

• Jaxom92Jaxom92 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by Laupp

I hear EQ2 is a good game, so if it had to copy from something, that would be a good choice. Anyway, it seems to me everybody just copies everybody else in this genre. As long as the copy is effective in what it does for the game at hand, I don't see a problem with this.

Check out my LOTRO Blog: www.middleearthadventurer.blogspot.com

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Jaxom92

Originally posted by Laupp

I hear EQ2 is a good game, so if it had to copy from something, that would be a good choice. Anyway, it seems to me everybody just copies everybody else in this genre. As long as the copy is effective in what it does for the game at hand, I don't see a problem with this.

I agree jax. MMO's all have something in them that has been done before, including EQ2. So long as it makes the game better then who cares? I mean really, Asian f2p grinders have been doing this long before EQ2 did it. The only diffrence is the cosmetic items where cash shop items. But the option was there. So technically EQ2 just copied it from them. In the long run who gives a crap?
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

ages is a relative term

- EQ2 has only had this feature since September  (5 months)

I hope other mmos like WOW use this in the future

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

Im going to have a month on this when book 12 releases.

One question to those who have been on roheryn: the clothing you can equip on your other tabs,can it be 'normal' armor as well,or is it just the actual social clothing you can equip? So could I go to a vendor in archet,buy a full set of level 5 armor to equip in 1 of the cosmetic slots and have that shown?