Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newsflash! Release date pushed back to 5/20/2008

1235»

Comments

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Its about having the strength to re-evaluate your product and having the bollocks to make decisions like a delay.

When I was there its was pretty much there. They want to have the content working as intended and I just want to say this is a massive game! Its 4 1/2 years in the making, they want it to be just right or a near as possible come launch time.

Yes Funcom work on Sundays :) These guys are proud people and very much focused. Its not lying to us by saying, hey we think we need another 8 weeks to make this better for you.

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Its about having the strenght to re-evaluate your product and having the bollocks to make decisions like a delay.
    When I was there its was pretty much there. They want to have the content working as intended and I just want to say this is a massive game! Its 4 1/2 years in the making, they want it to be just right or a near as possible come launch time.
    Yes Funcom work on Sundays :) These guys are proud people and very much focused. Its not lying to us by saying, hey we think we need another 8 weeks to make this better for you.
    No offense but its hard for me to think that you are being objective with all those AoC advertisements pasted all over your sig.

I think they owe it to their fans to stop yanking our chains.

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671

to be honest they're really gonna have to work hard to meet the new deadline imo. theres plenty of broken stuff but the scary thing is the amount of stuff thats still missing. hard to test something when its not even in the game. i agree with everyone else though better to push it back then release an unfinished game.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by Arcken

Its about having the strenght to re-evaluate your product and having the bollocks to make decisions like a delay.
    No offense but its hard for me to think that you are being objective with all those AoC advertisements pasted all over your sig.

I think they owe it to their fans to stop yanking our chains.

Hey no worries, yea im a fan, just got back from their offices weekend just gone. Jon Wood from mmorpg.com was there too. Maybe he can be more objective than I, I just say it how I see it.

I mean what are you getting at? If the game isnt finished to their satisfaction and they want to get to that stage whats the issue?

• whozthisguywhozthisguy Member UncommonPosts: 186

Avery where r your vids!!? can't wait to see what ya got from the trip:)

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Just think straight for a moment and answer this.

Game companies do not announce release dates likely , let alone confirm them.

Pushing back release date is a bad move by any marketing term , stock market value plummets , and fans get annoyed.

So think

Wouldnt you say the game that was pushed back 7 times has problems ?

And for all you saying you are glad for AOC not to have Vanguardesque launch.

VG's problem was not launch. Even 10 months after launch VG is still not fixed and functional game.

If AOC even faintly smells like VG , 2 months will not be enough, heck! year will not be enough!

So what does FC hopes to gain with this 2 months ? Polish ? I dont think so .... They are grasping straws

• whozthisguywhozthisguy Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Pushing back release date is a bad move by any marketing term , stock market value plummets , and fans get annoyed.
    So think

VG's problem was not launch. Even 10 months after launch VG is still not fixed and functional game.
    If AOC even faintly smells like VG , 2 months will not be enough, heck! year will not be enough!

So what does FC hopes to gain with this 2 months ? Polish ? I dont think so .... They are grasping straws

guess we may as well jump off a cliff then, the whole human race, just every1 jump.

why do u even frequent the AoC forums anymore loboeverythingsgoingtohelltomist? i mean i know u used to be super excited about AoC 2-3years ago. but man...r u ever bitter! got everything u ever wanted the second u wanted it when u were a kid/younger?

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812

So think

Wait and see, wouldn't you say? Anyone of you have a crystal ball in which they see the ultimate truth? Some people here only believe the glorification, others only believe in the bashing and failure. Why not walk the middle-ground?

And for what it's worth, even the little tidbits of information I have gathered are enough to let me see that AoC is in a far more advanced state than Vanguard ever was in Closed Beta. I beta-tested that one and decided not to play it due to that experience. They didn't take more time to finish the game...you see the result.

I am neither saying AoC will be UBER successful, but I am also not saying it will fail utterly.

I will be waiting till it launches and then see. And in the meantime, read a good book and amuse myself with the bashing and flame-wars going on in this forum. ^_^

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by whozthisguy

guess we may as well jump off a cliff then, the whole human race, just every1 jump.
    why do u even frequent the AoC forums anymore loboeverythingsgoingtohelltomist? i mean i know u used to be super excited about AoC 2-3years ago. but man...r u ever bitter! got everything u ever wanted the second u wanted it when u were a kid/younger?

Good Wake up call matey !

I am sorry. I over did it.

No point hiding it. I am disapointed. Both with delays and with ever increasing reports of how "heavily instanced" game is....

I guess , i will do something i hate...i will move to WAR forum. Let AOC in peace and hope for the best...

• CooramorCooramor Member Posts: 8

I don't think anyone who is pissed off at the delay is actually pissed off at the delay itself. They're all just people like Lobo there, people who wanted to play a game, and now they're told they can't. The delay itself is great, gives them more time to do whatever needs doing.

Everyone is just mad at the way FC is handling things. I mean, look at this statement by Gaute himself:

"The final decision was something I and some of our key management people made over the weekend."

It sounds like there was already a large chance already that the game would be have to be delayed and that they had been discussing this decision for at least weeks, at least before CES. Yet they kept pushing that one date over and over again. In fact, it was the only real news in weeks I think. It should have been Gaute at the show, making sure that the date wasn't being screamed into the ear of every passerby. Sure, we'd speculate that the game would be delayed because of this, but at least it would have softened the blow. That's what everyone is pissed about. None of us know anything aside from beta leaks (which were real unfortunately), and so far, FC still hasn't mentioned squat. Hopefully their state of the game will do something useful other than tell us that there are bugs to fix.

• TenebrosoTenebroso Member Posts: 262

Originally posted by marmag

They have been polishing  the game since October last year. Is this true? Noooo
    They didn't finish it. They are lieing all the time and I am donkey because I thrust Funcom words.
    This is not good for Funcom's reputation.

Urrmm they said they would hope to have to game finished by end of March 2008. So they havent quite finished polishing the game off and move it back just 8 weeks.

Plz explain again with the lieing etc etc?

All I have to say is calm down people!

To my knowledge people are saying this is the 6th or 7th pushback

dont be surprized if they push it to Oct 2008.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

You know I've always thought if I ever had enough money to create my own MMORPG, I would be 100% truthful with the people interested in spending their money in my world.  Would this fail? I don't know... I've always just been very 'face' to everyone I've ever known and called things like I see them.  If my developers were f****ing off and not doing their jobs, I would tell everyone 'Well I wanted the game to be out by now, but the dev's I hired SUCKED.  I'm sorry everyone, they're all fired and I'm getting a new team in.  This means it's going to be at least another 5 months before release.  Again, sorry and keep the faith that I'm working to entertain you to the best I can.  Cheers.'

But really, does honesty really earn respect or does it only feed anger if it's negative? If the truth is not what you want to hear?  Always thought even if I were in some sort of politics, and I would just be DEADLY TRUE to everyone like 'Sorry but the people you trusted before really pissed away all your money.  I'll see what I can do now but ... we're probably all pretty *fkd* for a while' -- would that just cause people to hate or would it inspire confidence that someone is actually telling the truth, even if it's not what they want to hear?  It's easy to say 'Yeah I'll vote for whoever tells me the truth' when it isn't actually happening ;).

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• TheTrollTheTroll Member Posts: 26

They will not push it anymore.. I'm shure for 95%.. I hope..

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

Originally posted by whozthisguy

Good Wake up call matey !

I am sorry. I over did it.

No point hiding it. I am disapointed. Both with delays and with ever increasing reports of how "heavily instanced" game is....

I guess , i will do something i hate...i will move to WAR forum. Let AOC in peace and hope for the best...

LOL, yeah Lobo.. this is the mental world.

8 weeks is nothing. Nobody really cares. Still there is s smell of cookies, stage-fright and .. uhm.. extortion in the air.

After all those crappy releases lately people have doubts. I have to admit, i have them too.

<---- The cliff is here. Just at the corner of the browser window. Close it and you are free :P

• BeaNo999BeaNo999 Member UncommonPosts: 63

Can't say i'm suprised, the game I last played wasn't remotley close to even being finished let along polished.

Mind you I haven't been able to play for a month or so because the game decided to stop working and the support is a fucking shambles so my problem still goes unsolved.

• TrollstarTrollstar Member Posts: 332

Originally posted by Tenebroso

Originally posted by marmag

They have been polishing  the game since October last year. Is this true? Noooo
    They didn't finish it. They are lieing all the time and I am donkey because I thrust Funcom words.
    This is not good for Funcom's reputation.

Urrmm they said they would hope to have to game finished by end of March 2008. So they havent quite finished polishing the game off and move it back just 8 weeks.

Plz explain again with the lieing etc etc?

All I have to say is calm down people!

To my knowledge people are saying this is the 6th or 7th pushback

dont be surprized if they push it to Oct 2008.

Heritic!  Burn the witch! 

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?
    Congrats! You are a victim of Trollstar!

• ManGrManGr Member CommonPosts: 12

This game beggining to be anoying............this is xxx delay

• TheArzhAngelTheArzhAngel Member Posts: 159

Its there  = Dead....

Beta:
    GW, WOW, AOC, DAOC, DOD, L2, VG.
    Playd:
    GW necro msx, WOW never maxd, DAOC reaver-paladin-cabalist-vamp max, L2 never maxd, VG never maxd.

Play:
    Daoc - Paladin. Classic.

• UgaritUgarit Member Posts: 213

Not surprised at all. Not AT ALL.

Relase ?Oct. 2008

Probably.

• IijsIijs Member Posts: 457

People bitch when a buggy game is released.

People bitch when they push back a release to fix bugs.

You know what? People like to bitch a lot.

• SidoxsSidoxs Member Posts: 103

ii will be pushed back again i bet

HOGG4LIFE

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

bah guess i get to play DAoC a little longer lol.  Hopfully the game will be solid when it comes out lol, dont really care TOOO much how far they push it back.  I must admit I did have my hopes up very high for March.   Ahh well how to sum it up....