Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I went back after a 4 year break!!

RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

I quit just before AoS - I came back on a free trial for a month after AoS and didn't stay.

I'm so bored with next gen mmo's right now that I have been in a retro mood so decided to give it a try.

I don't own ML and I don't know if I will yet. Sometimes I find going back to an old game like this its fun as hell for a few days then the novelty wears off. I suspect the law of diminshing returns. 

Having said that I dug up my old account with characters on Atlantic. My tamer got his ass massively kicked because taming had changed so much (getting more used to it now though).  I found a spot near mountains in Fel to place a house (can't remmeber exact foot print size but holy smokes it was at least the size of the old style log cabins).

Yes a lot has changed but let me tell you- whether I stay or not there is a reason that this game has endured.  Its flexible like Eve is in the sense you log in and you're not (necessairly) task driver like a rat on a wheel like all the modern mmos.  My first few days have been spent doing a little trade skilling and cash farming to afford walls.

lol last night was grinding potions and a pk came and laid waste to me because I couldn't yet afford walls for my house - tell me thats not UO? :P

I look forward to looking at the AoS content with new eyes and will try it out before moving up to the ML content. 

I tend to come out strong with games like this and then it waivers off but I will tell you one thing - its been a while since I lost track of time playing.

Playing this game does feel like I've come full circle, and some how i've returned to a place of comfort in my mmo gaming.  Atlantic is packed to the brim as far as I can tell - server pop is very healthy and lots of funky hued people with a whole bunch of crap on i dont know the slightest thing about.

Its really quite sureal - its an old game but its a new one.  Too bad the KR client sucks complete donkey balls - man the devs just can't seem to get a working 3d client for this title which is too bad.  If they take the 3d functionality and put it into the 2d client (chats etc) they will be going somewhere.

I think this game is ultimately a testimate to the genius of the original devs and to the community.

I find the upgrade cost of ML to be a bit prohibitive at 30 bucks for a upgrade code and I htink its a kick in the balls that a new ML code is 1/3 that price. Other than typical big business nickel and diming im having fun which i think is what most ppl go for in a mmo right?

Comments

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

ps. I'm looking to join a RP ish / adult oriented guild on Atlantic that would have an new old player in their ranks.

7xgm crafter

dexxer - out of date

tamer - out of date.

maybe pm me here on the forums or let me know how best to reach you.

• uoplayer123uoplayer123 Member Posts: 225

" I find the upgrade cost of ML to be a bit prohibitive at 30 bucks for a upgrade code and I htink its a kick in the balls that a new ML code is 1/3 that price. Other than typical big business nickel and diming im having fun which i think is what most ppl go for in a mmo right?:

If you can find it , get a 9th ann disc it includes ML , alot cheaper to..

http://www.amazon.com/Ultima-Online-9th-Anniversary-Collection/dp/B000I644G2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1200848111&sr=8-1

• PkpiePkpie Member CommonPosts: 18

I have been playing off and on for the past 3 months.  I came back for the same reasons you did.  bored with current MMO's.  I'm enjoying the Kingdom Reborn upgrade and like the graphics much better then the old client.  I don't have any problems with the new client but i know others who have.  This game has so much to offer that current mmo's do not.  I wish the old design team would get back together and start working on another UO.  I'm glad i came back though, as I too i have lost many hours playing this game.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

I played UO from early 1998 until early 2006 on Atlantic. After I left I swore I would never touch another EA product as long as I lived. Yes, I'm an EA hater, and I hate what they've done to the franchises they have gotten a hold of, especially UO. Against my better judgment I decided to try out the KR client late last year when they were doing one of the "Come back..." promotions. Nothing really has changed with regard to the things that really mattered to me with the game. The things they ruined with AoS in turning UO into an item based game. No matter what they do to UO that ruins the game though, it is still UO at it's core, and a game that I loved for so many years. However new graphics really don't make the gameplay any better, and in fact I had trouble getting the game to run decently because of some sort of graphical lag bug which made it unplayable for me... so in the end I decided not to go back. I was really hopeful that EA Mythic would do something to revive and "fix" the game, but so far I haven't seen it, which is terribly unfortunate.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004