Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newsflash! Release date pushed back to 5/20/2008

Comments

• DremacDremac Member Posts: 187
    Originally posted by OlG-fr

There are really people angered when Devs push back their product to take more time to polish/finish it?
    Seriously.....

It's weird I know, but people taking gaming so personally they think release dates are like a marriage proposal or something lol.

• marmagmarmag Member UncommonPosts: 72

They are not polishing, in fact, they are developing the game atm or they cut content which they promissed to players. They don't have enough time to develop them. (develop not polish)

I think they don't have enough resources to be in trac with their wishes and players demand.

I personaly don't have problems with delay, but please, Funcom be honest and tell all of us the right statment of game, They are cuting in game futures like mad dog and I am very pissed.

be good

• teqnikteqnik Member Posts: 17

I think it is a great decision considering the current state of the game. The feedback in the official forums has been, in my view at least, rather negative about the gameplay announcements. This delay just seems like it was necessary for it to be a finished  and polished game by launch.

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

We really have devolved into a "I want it all NOW!" culture haven't we?

Oh noes! They're delaying release because they're not done yet! Well duh, they're still in production. Delays can happen. It's not like they owe us anything. None of us are their bosses, or have paid them for anything, so we have no say over their deadlines.

You'd think that everyone would be pleased they're delaying to make a better product. But no, there's still some people who think the sky is going to fall in, or that the devs are lying, or some evil conspiracy to turn the game into SWG is going to happen...

C'mon people, leave the devs be. Let them hold off until they're satisfied they've completed a game that will be fun to play.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Originally posted by OlG-fr

There are really people angered when Devs push back their product to take more time to polish/finish it?
    Seriously.....

You probably do not realise the game was supposed to be released 2006 , and it is 7th push back

• Dwarfman420Dwarfman420 Member Posts: 207

A delay will hopefully mean more polish, more bugs eliminated, and better performance.

After Vanguard I've learned it's best to wait... awhile if need be.

• sadnebulasadnebula Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Kokushibyou

I personaly think this is a good sign; they need some extra time to fix a few things.  Hopefully this means they are going to avoid pulling a Vanguard.

lol actually VG pulled a AO, funcom still holds the record for one of the worse launches ever.

• KiranaiKiranai Member Posts: 19

Ok, honestly I think some of you guys are a bit pathetic.  Yes of course the more time they have for development, means the more polished the game will be.  But using that argument why release the game at all, why not just keep working on it for the next 20 years? I'm sure by then it will be an amazing game! wow! how great is that?

What sucks about this, is that it means they misjudged the time it would take to get the game ready...they screwed up!! They found out its going slower than they anticipated...how is that a great thing?? That's actually bad! It could mean the game sucks, and now they need more time to try to put bandaids on to keep it from sucking too bad when it releases. 

Also, the longer they wait, the more chance other games like Warhammer will come out first...and get all the momentum.  I know a lot of ex wow players who are bored and looking for something else to jump into...most of the ones I know are interested in Warhammer but since it got pushed back, they were going to give AOC a chance in the meantime...and who knows they might like it enough to not bother with Warhammer.

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578
    Originally posted by sadnebula

I personaly think this is a good sign; they need some extra time to fix a few things.  Hopefully this means they are going to avoid pulling a Vanguard.

lol actually VG pulled a AO, funcom still holds the record for one of the worse launches ever.

Which is probably a major reason why they are being so cautious now. Its hard to break a bad reputation.

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

• sadnebulasadnebula Member UncommonPosts: 263

polish my a$$,  this bites.  Not because I'm in such a hurry to play this game. Because I'm tired of these companies telling half truths and then sticking another video out for the masses to ogle and ahh over.  Now  we can all  hear how great they are because they've delayed  again for more polish.  

The effective range of an excuse is 0 meters .... unless you're making an mmo, then you can skate on the  polish to heck and back.                  

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Don't matter to me, I'll be playing WoW.  There's more than enough content there to keep me busy for this push back and the two or three more that will most likely happen before the game is out.

• Psiho246Psiho246 Member Posts: 482

Damn, i was hoping i would play this game before WAR gets released...

Now I really dont know what il be playing for another 4-5 months : /

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

8 weeks push back is nothing, and if anyone thinks its vapour ware check out the latest videos from Gamespot, IGN, tentonhammer and aload of European community sites in next couple days.
    Plus I have couple hrs footage on tape right here!
    Its only polish to make things better, its not a massive delay.

Hate to play devils advocate but then again it's so fun ;)

So did gods and heroes so your point?

Edit: also I did see the latest vids on youtube of the ranger and the like, it's nice but nothing that makes me go ooooOO ahhh, but that's all in perspective. Also you got the guys in the vid actually talking about playing other games while the guy is playing. The hook factor seems only so so just from that vid alone. Casual talk between the friends as this guy demo's his ranger pretty much seems to sum up the game currently.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• judgebeojudgebeo Member Posts: 419
    Originally posted by judgebeo

Originally posted by Stradden

While it was not mentioned during this past week's press tour, Funcom has announced today that Age of Conan will be released on May 20th rather than on March 25th as we had thought.
    The moves comes in order to "stress game systems and polish the game further leading up to launch".
    The highly anticipated MMO receives 8 more weeks of development, allowing Funcom to deliver a more polished MMO experience when the game launches on the 20th of May 2008. Despite great feedback on vital aspects like immersion, fun factor and the exciting combat system, the management of Funcom has decided to polish the game even more. Eight weeks of development work is therefore added to stress game systems and polish the game further leading up to launch.

Funcom is fully committed to its communities and the quality-level they demand and deserve, and has previously postponed the Age of Conan launch. The changes implemented as the game was moved to a 2008 release have proven to greatly improve the experience for newcomers, while introducing a more involving and accessible character progression throughout the game. Press and beta feedback in the aftermath of these changes has been very positive. As a result, the ongoing presentations of the game have continued to increase the anticipation for Age of Conan. To date, Age of Conan has received more than 20 magazine covers and 15 industry awards, and is widely considered to be one of the most anticipated MMOs in development.

Read the entire explanation here.

And again and again and again ... will say the same that before: better got a finished game on may than unfinished buggy on march but... if now we are like this, how the F$%&" were they thinking about when said that it will be finished on 2007 ?

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684

This is a small eight week pushback and nothing really all that groundbreaking.

Alot of people here seem to forget that presence of MMO's in the gaming industry today. MMO's are the big hitters - they make the BIG bucks, the jackpot. You have to remember that these developers have been in development of this game for...how long? They want a garunteed success with this game, because if it flops, Funcom may be going out of business. This is a HUGE gamble, and Funcom wants a garunteed win - Funcom wants this to be the next WoW. MMO's are thr big hitters and AoC is their baby to success. I dont blame them for pushing it back again, but if you notice, its not that long of a pushback, meaning that Funcom is running out of steam.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Originally posted by chaintm

8 weeks push back is nothing, and if anyone thinks its vapour ware check out the latest videos from Gamespot, IGN, tentonhammer and aload of European community sites in next couple days.
    Plus I have couple hrs footage on tape right here!
    Its only polish to make things better, its not a massive delay.

Hate to play devils advocate but then again it's so fun ;)

So did gods and heroes so your point?

Edit: also I did see the latest vids on youtube of the ranger and the like, it's nice but nothing that makes me go ooooOO ahhh, but that's all in perspective. Also you got the guys in the vid actually talking about playing other games while the guy is playing. The hook factor seems only so so just from that vid alone. Casual talk between the friends as this guy demo's his ranger pretty much seems to sum up the game currently.

hell even dark and light had some impressive videos...

I am beginning to think, listening to beta testers i know and others, AoC and WAR are bigger hype machines than actual substance....

well least it's a good thing PotBS launches tomorrow...will keep me occupied till Q2/Q3

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Even tho it sounds like it could use some more time to intergrate those couple classes, that were dropped, into the game..I am still VERY pissed that its pushed back AGAIN.

I have to be honest if this game gets pushed back in may I will def be canceling my pre-order and focusing my attention on WAR..

Well it gives me more time to PVP on my shammie now yay (ie this sux)...

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Going head to head with WAR will kill this game imo

• SazazelSazazel Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by marmag

They have been polishing  the game since October last year. Is this true? Noooo
    They didn't finish it. They are lieing all the time and I am donkey because I thrust Funcom words.
    This is not good for Funcom's reputation.

Urrmm they said they would hope to have to game finished by end of March 2008. So they havent quite finished polishing the game off and move it back just 8 weeks.

Plz explain again with the lieing etc etc?

All I have to say is calm down people!

Hey i don't need an Explaination on the lieing, But id like one on how he plans to "Thrust" Funcoms words.... :P

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

yes lets hope so... :)
  • theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

'When its done' <---- Michelangelo's reply to the Pope when he was asked when he would finish painting the Sistine Chapel ceiling. And we all know how that ceiling turned out, so i'm not worried. 

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

I was already dreaming of playing the game in March, but I guess 2 more months isn't THAT bad. Though the pushback feels like a gentle kick in the nuts. At least FunCom isn't trying to feed us the same half-done sh*t that's become very popular these days.

And to me personally May fits better, I've got more spare time from school and work - I might actually have enough time to even sleep now. :)

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

So they pushed back the date.  Everyone does it.  If a company can 't even pick a release date that they are capable of achieving, why is anyone surprised that so many MMOs have been buggy messes when they hit the shelves?  I have to wonder how many features won't be available when it releases?   I've learned not to disappoint myself, though,  so I have no illusion that this game will be any different.  Hopefully, it won't hurl bits of your computer back at you like AO did at launch... that was the buggy mess launch that other buggy mess launches aspire to be.  

I don't mind paying for new content and shiny stuffs, but I kind of resent being asked to pay for games to be finished and provide the features they promise.  The most recent example I can think of is Hellgate: London.  With any luck, I'm wrong but the safest mindset regarding MMOs is absolute doom and gloom.  Being pleasantly surprised is always a pleasant surprise. 

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

Doesnt really matter imo,i mean, its an extra 2 months of polishing and optimizing that they have to make the game better for you all on release.

Its a good thing that theyve pushed it back to fix it,you only have to look at games such as vanguard and hellgate to see what happens when you release a beta game to the general public,or in the case of tabula rasa a game with polished low level content with all the bugs and emptiness hidden away to 'discover' later on.

It at least shows they care enough not to repeat AOs launch; or pull a complete vanguard,and the final product has a better chance of being worth your cash come may 20th. Use the extra 2 months to put away some cash and spend it on a few upgrades so when you do eventually get in you can enjoy the game to its potential.  :-)

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837

I wonder if this means AoC is effectively going head to head with WAR.

Before it looked like the lead time would give it the edge. Now it looks like more of a straight up choice.