Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newsflash! Release date pushed back to 5/20/2008

eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Funcom today announces a new release date for the

highly anticipated Massively Multiplayer Online

Game (MMO)Age of Conan - Hyborian Adventures. The

MMO will be given 8 more weeks of development

time, with a new launch date set to May 20, 2008.

http://www.newsweb.no/newsweb/index.jsp?messageId=201101&lang=1

Home page link:

http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/conan/frontend.cgi?func=publish.show&template=content&func_id=2199&sort=PRIORITY,%20RELTIME%20desc&table=CONTENT

Comments

• burmeseburmese Member Posts: 546

Verified...check their home webpage

~\_/~\_O

• YodaGreenYodaGreen Member UncommonPosts: 77

It's true, http://www.digi.no/php/art.php?id=504816 reports the same. They need more time to stresstest  the game....

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Open Beta Please?

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• KokushibyouKokushibyou Member UncommonPosts: 230

I personaly think this is a good sign; they need some extra time to fix a few things.  Hopefully this means they are going to avoid pulling a Vanguard.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Indeed, I have no problem with it being pushed back.

From the leaks, it sounded like they needed it.

The extra time + lots of cutbacks in features should let them "polish" the game more (what's left of it anyways ;)).

As a.. older... person... time means different things. Some things seem faster and some seem slower. Waiting another 8 weeks is no big deal to me, but my birthday is approaching ALL too fast. So while May 20th will come slower, my birthday (which is close to that date) will be zooming towards me.

• RumiahRumiah Member Posts: 2

I dont even know what to think anymore after all the pushbacks etc. I'v been counting the days to release and now its an extra 48~. Sure pushing back and all is fine WHEN it releases as it means it will be a more stable, playable game. But i'v tried 90% of MMOs out there, played WoW for 2 years etc and theres just nothing left anymore to do. And i was hoping AoC could make MMO's fun for me again, but having to wait 4 months for it is kind of killing atm. Would be a good move to have an open beta starting from the 27th march and lasting till near release imo, otherwise i fear people are going to severely lose interest.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Damn.

This is solid proof beta leaks were right

• puma713puma713 Member Posts: 288

On the contrary, Rumiah, I think people are sick and tired of under-developed pieces of crap.  This trend (the pushing games back 2-3 months, even more) is a good sign to me.  It means people have gotten the "We need a WoW-Killer" out of their system and have begun to once again, focus on the game at hand.  It means that some developers have taken a look at the flops that have come out (Vanguard, D&D, Dark and Light) and some others that have failed to come out (Gods & Heroes) and have maybe -just maybe- started to take some insight into their examples.

As a long-time gamer, I am actually happy that they're pushing these games back.  It means that it will (should, I should say) be polished, mechanics will be worked out, the content will be relatively complete and there will be a smooth launch (as smooth as launches can go!).  I, for one, would rather pick up a game that is finished 8 weeks later than pick up a game that isn't and a game that won't go anywhere because it was rushed. 

In the expanding market of MMO's and video games in general, you don't have long to make an impression.  And these impressions, for the most part, stick.  The gaming community is fickle and they are unforgiving.  Now, we've seen a trend of companies releasing steaming piles and people are getting pissed.  It looks like the companies may have picked up on that vibe now.

We can only hope.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

/played: EQ, EQ II, DAoC, WoW, LoTRO, AoC, CoH/CoV, WAR, Aion, Tera, Wildstar and many others that don't merit listing

/playing: Clash of Clans, Hearthstone

• Cypt1Cypt1 Member UncommonPosts: 283

I'm glad. I'm hoping that this will give the developers the time they need to produce a polished game that can actually compete with Warcraft. I've played far too many games that were released in a horribly unpolished and buggy state at launch and would prefer to have a great game released instead of a decent/crappy game.

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

Funcom will not release unpolished game & they have the $ to stall for few more weeks np.  Personally I am really happy about this.  If I will be playing an mmo for few years ( and it looks to me ike Conan will be it for me ) then I rather wait fewm ore weeks and have a better product.

I trust Fncom, they never dissapointeed me.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

http://www.curse.com/articles/details/5583/

A new article on curse about the event this last weekend in Oslo to raise some spirits ;).

Pushing it back means they actually CARE how well the game will be recieved by the players.  They actually CARE to give you a quality product.  Much better than 'toss it out at them and we'll do a year or so of hotfixes'.

With a game like AoC which is trying to do a lot of different things, I'm not surprised they issues and problems which need to be solved... because they're not just copy pasting from another game's system.  They are creating something new and trying to evolve the original idea.  Good for them... and for all of you who want this game to rule.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

• RumiahRumiah Member Posts: 2

I completely agree, Just means I have to find something to occupy myself with for another 8 weeks :p. I just really hope it is "perfect" when its released otherwise im going to be severely disapointed.

• DremacDremac Member Posts: 187

They can push it back to 2010 for all I care, if it's a good game when it comes out.

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

Wow, you guys are taking this so well It borders on zealotry,

• DremacDremac Member Posts: 187

Well I'm not gonna have time to play until late July anyway so it's all the same to me lol...actually better since the rest won't have as good of a head start this way :D

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

8 weeks push back is nothing, and if anyone thinks its vapour ware check out the latest videos from Gamespot, IGN, tentonhammer and aload of European community sites in next couple days.

Plus I have couple hrs footage on tape right here!

Its only polish to make things better, its not a massive delay.

• andyjdandyjd Member Posts: 229
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Damn.
    This is solid proof beta leaks were right

They usually are....

• Amon_AmarthAmon_Amarth Member Posts: 219

Yeah it's gonna suck having to wait even longer now to play this great looking game, but as others have said, as long as it's a quality product on release, it will all have been worth it and thats what matters. And yes it definately shows Funcom are a great company that really care and want to give us a 100% complete and quality product. Atleast we can still keep discussing about the game here every day hehe. Besides there are PLENTY of other awesome games out now to play, both single player and online! Also very happy to see so many positive reactions to the news. No immaturity here.    :)

• marmagmarmag Member UncommonPosts: 72

They have been polishing  the game since October last year. Is this true? Noooo

They didn't finish it. They are lieing all the time and I am donkey because I thrust Funcom words.

This is not good for Funcom's reputation.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by marmag

They didn't finish it. They are lieing all the time and I am donkey because I thrust Funcom words.

Urrmm they said they would hope to have to game finished by end of March 2008. So they havent quite finished polishing the game off and move it back just 8 weeks.

Plz explain again with the lieing etc etc?

All I have to say is calm down people!

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Originally posted by marmag

Urrmm they said they would hope to have to game finished by end of March 2008. So they havent quite finished polishing the game off and move it back just 8 weeks.

Plz explain again with the lieing etc etc?

All I have to say is calm down people!

To my knowledge people are saying this is the 6th or 7th pushback

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Plus I have couple hrs footage on tape right here!

Does that mean it's safe to say we can all expect some more AmazingAvery videos in near future?

• CooramorCooramor Member Posts: 8

Sweet news on the video footage. I was worried you wouldn't have much. I heard you guys didn't get to play much while you were over there. Glad to know you got something.

• OlG-frOlG-fr Member Posts: 6

There are really people angered when Devs push back their product to take more time to polish/finish it?

Seriously.....