Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Communist China getting even tougher on MMOers.

Playing games in China is very heavily monitored, All ISP's in China are controlled by the government. Now it seems that they are taking even tougher measures on playing MMO's

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSPEK3508320080117

Two points in that article strike me, children are banned from the Internet Cafes and the number of illegal cafes discovered.

**Note that this is [almost] nothing to do with gold-farming etc etc, but regular people playing games.**

Exactly what could these new rules be, they are already strict (I believe there is a time limit of 4 hours of gaming per day).

How far are the Chinese Government going to go?

No annoying animated GIF here!

«134

Comments

  • ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

    The powers that be in China know that Western influences and capitalism are going to be the death of Communism and their totalitarian regime. 

    My youtube MMO gaming channel



  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

    Its no different from banning alcohol from people under 21.

  • GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

    My only question is why? Why do they try to stop the inevitable? Further or later they will have to surrender to the gaming community and simply allow them to play.


    China has banned children from Internet cafes and last year ordered their owners to enforce time restrictions in the wake of several cases involving obsessive players dying of fatigue after marathon game sessions.

    Shouldn't they spend more power on trying to find the reason why people are dying because of fatigue from marathon gaming sessions. Kind of strange since I've never heard of that problem in any other country.

    image

    image

  • ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772

    It is a communist goverment at the end of the day. if for instance they think a game promotes an unhealthy living they will make the developer change it or risk having their game banned, see WoW and the change they made to undead for the chinese version. So they are probably willing to go as far as it takes to get their own way like any dictatorship would.

     

     

  • ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Godliest


    My only question is why? Why do they try to stop the inevitable? Further or later they will have to surrender to the gaming community and simply allow them to play.
     

    Self-preservation?  It's always the ones at the top that get the ax when people decide they've had enough.

    My youtube MMO gaming channel



  • nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

    im sorry maybe im a bit harsh, any person who plays a game til they fatigue to the point of death, cardiac arrest, or stress related embolism or anurism, doesn't deserve to contribute to the human gene pool. it defies logic though some people would relate it to alcholism, or drug addiction, as in fact to some degree you do recieve some eurphoric chemical "reward" in the form of dopamines.

    it's those cheery fun, party til you drop horomones that make your nueron receptors bounce off  the side of ya brain case with joyful glee. people can't get enough of that feeling.

    I too like games, like many people its a form of relaxation from a hard day at work. but once again I like many people, know there is a limit to "play time" I do have to sleep. ive known to stay up all night til 6am-8am lol on Eq2, or COD4(god that game is addicting) and realized holy snoozealert batman! i gotta get to bed. when you lack sleep one of the symptoms is bad coordination, visual, and physio. short answer is, your equivalent to being legally drunk. after 48-72 or more hours of being up, stress horomores, such as cortisol, other various anti bodies, and stress-related horomones start building up creating toxins in your body. Its been proven your brain's nuerons misfire, your higher brain functions start lapsing and not working properly your vision starts to go blurry, cant focus, becomes dialated, your heart starts a erratic rhythmia, which can cuase essentially a cardiac arrest(heart stops).

    the short answer is SLEEP=time your brain and body repairs itself. your biologically hard wired to sleep. there is no getting around it, its not a matter if you sleep but when you sleep. to some degree lack of sleep is a death sentence.

     

    as far as the dictatorship, communist government? I have no opinion its not my place or right to judge a way of life I know nothing of. yeah they are a bit extreme, but like any goverment or way of living there are pros and cons. I can careless if the chinese are manipulative, or controlling of their people, i dont live there I live here. every goverment there is going to be some level of control we dont like or care for its a sort of checks and balances. lets hope our american government doesnt go to far,...or have they. thats whole other debate lol.

    3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

  • neolivesftwneolivesftw Member Posts: 163

    i hate commies

    Hail Neo, full of pwnage, Morpheus is with thee
    Blessed art thou among Zion, and blessed is the roundhouse against Smith.
    Holy Neo, pray for us now, and at the hour of Victory, Amen.

  • whozthisguywhozthisguy Member UncommonPosts: 186

    i love americans, yer like a bunch of little president bush's running around! god its so cute! tickle tickle tickle!

    image
  • NoUrbanLightNoUrbanLight Member Posts: 70

    And I hate rash generalizations. t(>_<)t

    Admit it... if people were dying, America, England, and any other country you can name would be doing much the same things. It has little to do with "communism" as the title of this thread might suggest. A number of you have done nothing but rant about how these stupid commies are just delaying the inevitable and will have to bow to gamers wills, and blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda... How about instead of taking the chance to rant about a political structure you dislike, why not wake up and look at the ACTUAL problem: People are DEAD over something that could have been prevented.

    I agree that they are likely going about this the wrong way. If the problem is so pervasive that it's finding it's way into music advertising campaigns (not that I don't love Nine Inch Nails), simply closing cafes and trusting people that are making money to implement restrictions isn't going to work. One really has to ask where the problem stems from, how these addictions start, what about life is so miserable they seek out this escape, and try to actually fix this at it's root. Harsh as it may sound, a shrink could do a person a lot more good in this situation then a cop could. A programmer could easily do all the police work.

    For example, playing Guild Wars, I know it keeps track of the time you spend online. It could easily transform into, "You have been playing 1 hour. You have been playing 2 hours. You have been playing 3 hours, please take a break. You have been playing 5 hours, you really should log off. You have been playing 8 hours, does your family miss you yet? You have been playing 10 hours, get a life.  You have been playing 23 hours, you have 1 hours till we cut you off. No really, don't bother starting another mission, your account will be locked down server side for a duration of 24 hours. Get some sleep." There's the technical side of it, but with millions of other games to turn to, you'll have to eventually address the psychological side of the problem.

    What does the player get out of the game that makes it so enjoyable to the point where they don't even want to dislodge themselves? What other activities could render the same effect on their consciousness? How can you integrate all this effort and devotion into a productive activity that has a finite ending at which they could rest and recover? Yes, I know, it's not that simple, but everything has a few basic steps when you strip it down to the basics. After all, why do I bother volunteering for a local non-profit when I could spend those hours grinding a character up to a higher level? Because I feel like I'm helping people, because my efforts are preserved in such a way I can later appreciate them, and because people acknowledge and praise my efforts so I feel good about them and myself.

    ~~~~~
    "Big surprise... there was no protection by this urban light..."

  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 11,886
    Originally posted by whozthisguy


    i love americans, yer like a bunch of little president bush's running around! god its so cute! tickle tickle tickle!



    hehehe thats hilarious. 2 points to whozthisguy! Congratulations!



  • XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

    To show that nuts really do come Brazil they ban Everquest.

    Okay what happens IF Hilary Clinton gets elected sees that Brazil have banned an MMO, China limiting playing time and thinks it's about time we did something. We all know her stance on video games.

    This *could* happen in your country. Anyone in the EU knows what stupid {bleeping] laws get made up in Brussels.

    Sadly I feel it is just a matter of time now.

    No annoying animated GIF here!

  • abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143
    Originally posted by tkreep


    Its no different from banning alcohol from people under 21.

    You can get drunk by playing MMOs? Why didn't someone tell me this before?? How do I do it???

  • UrrellesUrrelles Member Posts: 574

    Every time a country makes absurd laws to counter act a recent problem they are having, the problem is usually based on other problems or cultural conflicts.  In china the problem is the strict communist thinking that promotes hard work above all else for your country and family. 

    Chinese people are workaholics.   They work long hours, doing any kind of job and put 110% into the work.  This type of thinking doesn't restrict itself to just work though.  It leaks into other things in life.  Gaming is the case here.  They play 110%.  Some turn their hobby into a job and work long hours on it farming gold or gaining items.  A person with a 8 - 10 hour day job will go home and then play 6 more hours on their game as they try to reach a goal that would normally take 2 days.

    Health is a issue probably due to the way people think.  When you are doing manual labor your body fatigues over time and rest is required.  When a person sit in front of a computer all day having fun, the thought of fatigue is just no in thier head.  They figure they are just doing nothing but hitting a few keys.  The concept of stress (usually form grievers and idiots) and constant use of the mind is not put into the calculation.  Yet these things will fatigue the body over time. 

    Eventually as time goes by the player thinks "ah what the hell I guess I will pull an all nighter."  This process becomes more frequent until you have a person staying up 3 nights in a row just to achieve a goal, or obtain an item that they will sell.

     

    MMO setups.  This is one last thing that just popped to mind.  A person will setup a goal to obtain an item or set of items.  In order to do so the item is usually a random drop (especially in WoW).  So if a person is determined to achieve this goal of luck, they could likely be sitting up days in a row farming the same area as they wait for a rare drop that they need. 

  • Acidblood7Acidblood7 Member Posts: 36

    unlike China and Brazil, we have the power to bitch and get away with it. unless Hillary wants to be even more bitched then she will if she gets president. It wont be that simple for her.

  • KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

    When they ban wow, wow would lose 8mio players lol

  • xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    Originally posted by whozthisguy


    i love americans, yer like a bunch of little president bush's running around! god its so cute! tickle tickle tickle!



    I am not going to comment on the China situation. I dont live there so I dont know how things work. The same should go for idiots like you. You obviously have no clue how a good portion of americans view Bush so you, like me, have no clue about something and should keep your mouth shut. Its funny though, you want to trash americans for voicing there opinion when in fact, your doing the same thing. Does that make you a little bush?

  • daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556


    Originally posted by NoUrbanLight
    And I hate rash generalizations. t(>_<)t
    Admit it... if people were dying, America, England, and any other country you can name would be doing much the same things. It has little to do with "communism" as the title of this thread might suggest. A number of you have done nothing but rant about how these stupid commies are just delaying the inevitable and will have to bow to gamers wills, and blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda... How about instead of taking the chance to rant about a political structure you dislike, why not wake up and look at the ACTUAL problem: People are DEAD over something that could have been prevented.
    I agree that they are likely going about this the wrong way. If the problem is so pervasive that it's finding it's way into music advertising campaigns (not that I don't love Nine Inch Nails), simply closing cafes and trusting people that are making money to implement restrictions isn't going to work. One really has to ask where the problem stems from, how these addictions start, what about life is so miserable they seek out this escape, and try to actually fix this at it's root. Harsh as it may sound, a shrink could do a person a lot more good in this situation then a cop could. A programmer could easily do all the police work.
    For example, playing Guild Wars, I know it keeps track of the time you spend online. It could easily transform into, "You have been playing 1 hour. You have been playing 2 hours. You have been playing 3 hours, please take a break. You have been playing 5 hours, you really should log off. You have been playing 8 hours, does your family miss you yet? You have been playing 10 hours, get a life.  You have been playing 23 hours, you have 1 hours till we cut you off. No really, don't bother starting another mission, your account will be locked down server side for a duration of 24 hours. Get some sleep." There's the technical side of it, but with millions of other games to turn to, you'll have to eventually address the psychological side of the problem.
    What does the player get out of the game that makes it so enjoyable to the point where they don't even want to dislodge themselves? What other activities could render the same effect on their consciousness? How can you integrate all this effort and devotion into a productive activity that has a finite ending at which they could rest and recover? Yes, I know, it's not that simple, but everything has a few basic steps when you strip it down to the basics. After all, why do I bother volunteering for a local non-profit when I could spend those hours grinding a character up to a higher level? Because I feel like I'm helping people, because my efforts are preserved in such a way I can later appreciate them, and because people acknowledge and praise my efforts so I feel good about them and myself.


    I just want to say....excellent post.

    I'm more curious as to what it is in chinese/asian life that allows for these things to happen on a fairly common basis? Gaming is not the problem. How many fun/recreational things to the chinese have to do other than play grinder games? Maybe if they had a bit more personal freedom they would not be so obsessed? Maybe I'm wrong?

    I'd be interested to see scientific research on this.

    D.

    image

  • baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457
    Originally posted by Xenduli


    Playing games in China is very heavily monitored, All ISP's in China are controlled by the government. Now it seems that they are taking even tougher measures on playing MMO's
    http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSPEK3508320080117
    Two points in that article strike me, children are banned from the Internet Cafes and the number of illegal cafes discovered.
    **Note that this is [almost] nothing to do with gold-farming etc etc, but regular people playing games.**
    Exactly what could these new rules be, they are already strict (I believe there is a time limit of 4 hours of gaming per day).
    How far are the Chinese Government going to go?

    I have news for you, the ISP's in your country are all controlled by your government too.

  • XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

    ^^Got news for you, I don't live in Norway. I'm not dumb enough to give away personal info, unlike those on bebo facebook etc etc.

    No annoying animated GIF here!

  • ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

    Originally posted by whozthisguy


    i love americans, yer like a bunch of little president bush's running around! god its so cute! tickle tickle tickle!
    You sound like a big fairy with issues! 

     

     

    My youtube MMO gaming channel



  • rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

    Technically, China is not Communist.

    ____________________________________________
    im to lazy too use grammar or punctuation good

  • MarleVVLLMarleVVLL Member UncommonPosts: 907

    Originally posted by tkreep


    Its no different from banning alcohol from people under 21.
    I honestly hope you're sarcastic, but I have a funny feeling you're not.

    Drinking causes deaths. It causes auto-mobile accidents. It causes addictions. It causes obesity, if not controlled.

    MMOs cannot within themselves kill people. They can't cause auto mobile accidents. They can become addictive and are an outlet for obesity if people aren't wise about playing.

    So, there is a big difference, and I must disagree with you.

    Blessings,

    MMO migrant.

  • popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

    Sounds to me like the Chinese government are more worried about the lost revenue from those "unregistered" clubs than the moral decline. Im sure if they were paying their taxes or tribute to the state or whatever, they wouldnt have been bothered so much. Any government, as long as they can keep their hand in a pie, will allow most things that generate a profit.

    And the link about Brazil banning Everquest.. they said it was and attack on democracy or something.

    Hmm.. wonder why George Bush hasnt declared the makers of Everquest and SoE as part of the Axis of Evil yet???  hehe

     

    "Either youre FOR US or against US." what a nutcase. (American btw)

  • ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

    Originally posted by rikilii


    Technically, China is not Communist.
    Wrong. Try again.

    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China

    Quote:

    "State power within the government of the People's Republic of China is divided among three bodies: the Communist Party of China, the state, and the People's Liberation Army."

     

    Quote:

    "All positions of significant power in the state structure and in the army are occupied by members of the Communist Party of China"

  • rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

    Originally posted by Zorvan


     
    Originally posted by rikilii


    Technically, China is not Communist.
    Wrong. Try again.

     

    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China

    Quote:

    "State power within the government of the People's Republic of China is divided among three bodies: the Communist Party of China, the state, and the People's Liberation Army."

     

    Quote:

    "All positions of significant power in the state structure and in the army are occupied by members of the Communist Party of China"

    Not that Wikipedia is an even remotely reliable source of information, but you'll notice that nothing in that article actually says China is ACTUALLY communist, other than having its ruling party so named.

    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communism; http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/communism:

    com·mu·nism

    1 a: a theory advocating elimination of private property b: a system in which goods are owned in common and are available to all as needed2capitalized a: a doctrine based on revolutionary Marxian socialism and Marxism-Leninism that was the official ideology of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics b: a totalitarian system of government in which a single authoritarian party controls state-owned means of production c: a final stage of society in Marxist theory in which the state has withered away and economic goods are distributed equitably d: communist systems collectively

     

    China is, if anything, a totalitarian capitalist state.  Citizens can and do own private property and businesses, which is the antithesis of Communism.

    ____________________________________________
    im to lazy too use grammar or punctuation good

Sign In or Register to comment.