Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About to upgrade my graphics card and need some answers?

mbg1411mbg1411 Member UncommonPosts: 109

Right now I have an HP Intel Core 2 duo Processor E6300, 2 gigs of ram and have an ati radeon x 1950 pro 256mb and a 500watt power supply. Would any of the cards out today make a signifigant difference(8800 or 3870 to my 1950)? I want the best that $450 can buy. I dont know much about computer hardware and pretty much went to best buy and the guys there set this computer up for me. Would my computer be able to handle the cards out today? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

An NVidia 8800GT (Not GTS;  GT)  will serve you very well. 

It is a stable, defect free card.

And it is very, very fast.  :)

Good Hunting

• mbg1411mbg1411 Member UncommonPosts: 109

will my computer be able to handle it (as in not over heat)?

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Originally posted by mbg1411

will my computer be able to handle it (as in not over heat)?
    Should be able to, since you are running Core 2 Duo.  And thus the case should be new enough to support a single 8800GT (if not Overclocked).

Can always add more Fans to the case, or a cooling upgrade to the card itself.

I am currently running without a special card cooler, but will probably add one soon.

• mbg1411mbg1411 Member UncommonPosts: 109

Ok thanks a ton very helpful just one more Q. Does it matter how many mb it is? Is 512 alot better than 256?

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

512 is better.  Video Ram is kinda important as it runs for rendering tasks faster then system ram.  Also the new GTS is good.  The one based on the G92 chipset.

• HoldMeHoldMe Member Posts: 99

Like he ^ said.  Makes no sense now to buy a 8800GT when you can pick up a new G92 based GTS board.

Then again you said you're willing to spend $450, so I'd just wait a few weeks.  Tech sites are already receiving their new 9600GT reference cards and it sounds like Nvidia is still planning to do a February release so I'd just hold off a bit more.

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

Originally posted by HoldMe

Like he ^ said.  Makes no sense now to buy a 8800GT when you can pick up a new G92 based GTS board.
    Then again you said you're willing to spend $450, so I'd just wait a few weeks.  Tech sites are already receiving their new 9600GT reference cards and it sounds like Nvidia is still planning to do a February release so I'd just hold off a bit more.
    Thing is, if you went by that ethos, you'd be waiting forever. Theres always something better, cheaper  on the horizon.

Get a 8800GT, I just upgraded to one, its a great card I plan to SLI later. Very economical too.

---

• HoldMeHoldMe Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by godpuppet

Originally posted by HoldMe

Thing is, if you went by that ethos, you'd be waiting forever. Theres always something better, cheaper  on the horizon.

Get a 8800GT, I just upgraded to one, its a great card I plan to SLI later. Very economical too.

Of course there is always something better, but something better is usually not only 3 weeks away.

And again, he has the money to spend why recommend a 8800GT (which is what I'm using myself) when the GTS is a better board currently available as I type this?  People do realize they released a G92 based GTS board right?   Luckily I'll be stepping up with EVGA to a couple 9600s in a few weeks though so no real loss that I bought the GT's.

• peteski123peteski123 Member UncommonPosts: 447

Just a note as your using a 500watt power supply and want a 8800 card and talk of extra fans, cards draw alot of power and if you have a Standard PS ie cheap it may not draw enough.  As I said just a note as I have a E6600 clocked tho and a 8800 GTX but have a 900watt branded with half a dozen fans here and there, like to be sure  ;)

• PicklefootPicklefoot Member Posts: 218

For 450$ price range.. you can almost get 2 3870's which would blow away any 8800 combo.. 2x 3850's is also an option. You'll need a killer psu for either though. This is if you want to go the dual gpu route.

For a single card, 270$ will buy you a nice 8800gt.. just go with EVGA, life time warranty. BFG has a 10 year warranty. I personally went with the GTS, because the fan/performance is better on the G92 addition. People say they have defects, but I've yet to see it.. So starting to think it's bullshit from people that own 8800GT's.

If I had to go back and redo my machine, I'd get dual 38xx series.. if I had the money that is ;)

--------------------------------------------------

• devacoredevacore Member UncommonPosts: 340

wait for jan 23 to see if the 3870 X2 blows everything anyway like they are saying.

• foliotfoliot Member Posts: 88

I would get a HD3870.  It is a very nice card.

1.  You will have no problems running it with your PSU.  It uses the 55 nm process, making it more power efficient than the 8800GT.  It also downclocks and upclocks in real time, using low power when you dont need it.

2. It most likely wont overheat.  Same reasons.  The smaller fab process and the real time clocking reduce heat a lot.

3. It is a powerful card.  It can nearly keep up with the 8800GT in most tests.  This is more than powerful enough to handle and MMO in maxed settings (maybe not vangaurd).

IMO this is the best choice.  If you dont think that heat and power will be a problem, then go with the 8800GT, but make sure that you have some good case ventilation, because it will get hot.  The HD3870 will likely get hot too, just not as hot.