Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheated on a test, but the teacher might find out (need help)

We recently had a test in science, and I cheated, as the topic says. Now, the teacher has found out that a few cheated, and told everyone that if they know something, they would be rewarded for telling, and if you did cheat, and admitted. He would just "burn" the test. As if you never took it.

Now, I don't know. Should I come clean? Or should I try to play cool and try to get away with it?

Reason I am asking is because this is the last test in this term, and if I get worse than I got, I will fall down 1 grade. That is why it is important.

He also said that if we do not admit before next lesson it is too late, and if he then catches us, he will give us an F and contact the parents (My mom already knows I cheated tho, I told her)

Anyone advice will be appreciated

EDIT: I could try to study what we had about, and when he talks to me, I could deny it and tell him to give me the test there and then ,or ask me any question and make me answer it.

How does that sound?

Comments

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

teach you not to cheat in future

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Either come clean or start studying.

• zlayzerzlayzer Member Posts: 81

I say you quit cheating since it isnt good for anything.(Imagine if you was at your job and something happend and you didnt know what to do because you cheated on a test that involved that.)

You should start studying as soon as you read this and then tell your teacher that you cheated.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Originally posted by Xtromass

EDIT: I could try to study what we had about, and when he talks to me, I could deny it and tell him to give me the test there and then ,or ask me any question and make me answer it.

How does that sound?

Amazing. You cheat not to study but end up studying to not get caught cheating. I think you'll get what you deserve.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

I think you should come out clean and learn that cheating is baed. Minor cheating can sometimes work, but doing anything larger than looking a bit at the person beside you will just give you trouble. I'd tell him that I cheated and ask if I could do the test again in a few days, and study for it this time!

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

If he burns it, whats there to lose? (your message about failing sort of confused me, it won't be a worse grade if he burns it I am assuming, it just won't count at all).

If you get anything out of this though, learn that cheating helps nobody.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Originally posted by n25philly

The obvious answer here is to hire a hooker to go over to his house and keep him busy so he doesn't have time to check to see if you cheated or not.

Come on! Get it right! When you hire a hooker to go to someone's house you need to be sure to hide and take pictures and then use them as blackmail.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

you do realize that setting yourself up to cheat is pretty much studying in itself, after which point you might as well  toss aside what you used to cheat since you already started studying and might as well finish.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• saint4Godsaint4God Member Posts: 699

Despite consequence, I'd admit cheating before anyone else does.  Simply put, word gets around faster than you may think and will catch you if you don't take action first.  Tell your teacher you cheated, apologize, then sincerely not do it again.  Keep practicing this whenever you do something wrong.  I can tell you at work, the first thing I do when I mess up is go to my boss.  S/He understands and appreciates knowing it first from me than from it circulating for a week and then coming back to her/him from someone else.  In fact, that can cost people their job.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Does anybody else know for sure that you cheated, and is it likely they are going to squeal? But more importantly, did you use some sort of shared crib sheet that other people besides you were also using? That's the one thing that I'd guess which could provide concrete evidence. Otherwise just deny, deny, deny might very well get you off.

I think taking this teacher up on his offer to retake the test sounds like a fine idea. But I'd be more than a little scared that something will go wrong and you'll end up getting hosed anyway. Could you try just telling him you'd like to retake the test, but avoid making any admission? The worst thing you can do sometimes in these situations is panic ("C'mon kid, we know you did it. Just confess, rat out all your friends, and everything will be fine. - yeah right)

Mainly, I do hope you start to take school more seriously. But I know that's probably a forlorn hope. It may be hard to accept now, but if you really give doing your school work an honest shot it may not be as hard as you think - even if you're no genius. Because believe me, there are lots of kewl occupations out there. But not for unskilled slackers who can't see any farther into the future than tomorrow.

Good luck. And let us know how things go if you can. I'll bookmark this thread.

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

We recently had a test in science, and I cheated, as the topic says. Now, the teacher has found out that a few cheated, and told everyone that if they know something, they would be rewarded for telling, and if you did cheat, and admitted. He would just "burn" the test. As if you never took it.

Now, I don't know. Should I come clean? Or should I try to play cool and try to get away with it?

Reason I am asking is because this is the last test in this term, and if I get worse than I got, I will fall down 1 grade. That is why it is important.

He also said that if we do not admit before next lesson it is too late, and if he then catches us, he will give us an F and contact the parents (My mom already knows I cheated tho, I told her)

How does that sound?

Did anyone else notice this part?

As much as a lot of us will enjoy hearing about the potential pwnage about to be brought down upon you by your teacher, coming to us for advice when you mom already knows is kinda silly to me.  If your mom already knows then ask her advice.   At least then you know you will get at least one objective answer, as opposed to here where hookers and handguns seem to rule.

Taking responsibility for actions throws people off.  There is no where else for the person to go with whatever they have on you.  It is on them now to follow through on what they said.  If your teacher said s/he will "burn" the test and give you another there you go issue resolved and you at least have the CHANCE to get a better grade than the F you KNOW you will get if you are caught/ratted out.

Just go to your teacher and be matter of fact with them.."I cheated on that test and I know I was wrong, I should have been more prepared and I will be on future tests.  I would like the opportunity to take the test again and show you I know the material."  See where the chips fall.

Good luck.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Cheating is a vicious cycle. You cheat once and if you don't get caught you keep cheating because you can.

Not only did you cheat on the test, but when confronted with cheating you came to the forum for OTHER people to help you in this situation --which.... is kinda like cheating--

All things aside though, personally, I would shut my mouth, and not do anything about it.  Theres a 50/50 chance that your teacher will actually DO anything about the cheating, ultimately it would depend on the size of the class, and how many cheated.

I once had to take a test over because the teacher suspected people of cheating.

There was also this one time that I got an A on a test where I got every single question wrong. (it was a true/false test of 100 questions and I answered them all wrong, teacher said I had to know every answer to get every single one of them wrong so she passed me).

So, teachers do some crazy things sometimes. Either way you look at it, if your mother knows you already cheated then when you get in trouble for it, she won't be mad at you, so no problems there. 

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047

I know you already know that cheating is bad blady blah blah but like many you chose to do it anyway, im not criticizing i did the same, everyone has at one point or another (dont deny it)  the point is your getting cought so here is what you do. 

If a few students already admitted (few being anywhere from like three or more) and your other grades are close to what you got on your final (what i mean is if you got 70's all making period and on the final you get a 90 then thats not too smart) then deny deny and deny there is no proof to say that you did it.  BUT if your grade was unrealistic compared to your other grades or only 1 or 2 people already admit, then admit youll probably get fucked over in this sort of situation and retaking is much safer.   But ultimately its up to you, ive personally never been caught cheating, i guess i was just born with that skill

• mithrandir72mithrandir72 Member Posts: 1,286

Don't get caught next time. People say cheating teaches you nothing, but honestly, I think it shows you more about how life is going to play out.

For instance, if you know the answer and the hot girl doesn't, you give her the answer. That shows that if you do something nice, you might get something in return, and sluts always get what they want. An entire life lesson learned in a few seconds.

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment;
    We are choosing to be here right now -Tool, Parabola

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

well if their gonna drop you a grade if you do poorly, your not doing well in the class, and you "miraculously" score well on the test your already as suspect as a convicted felon who lives next to a fresh crime scene.

Ten bucks also says you have a disciplinary record at this school and are on some sort of last nerve.

My advice though way too late is this.

If you were gonna cheat why would you cheat and achieve a unnaturally high score, instead you should have gone about 10 points above your average.

Thats if you had preplanned and cheated intelligently.

But after the fact they probable have a cross with your name on it already and are either at the hardware store buying nails or are waiting for you to bring your own.

However if the test is multiple choice you could possible blame the high score on luck, claim you studied a little bit, this is if no one else fingers you which given the chance will happen.

Overall choice A. You do nothing and they will probable get you anyway. B. You turn yourself in and are trusted even less then I am assuming you already are.

so pick between the hammer and the anvil.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• What grade are you in, just out of curiousity?

I'd say you should hedge your bet here. Start studying now, admit it right away, get another shot at it. Sometimes teachers do this to flush out cheaters they don't know about, but just as often they do it to allow a chance to cheaters the DO know about. Honestly, this is a hell of a second chance and I think you should take it. Study like hell and do it right the second time around, or risk losing everything by not telling. You may be missing a critical piece of info that your teacher has, no matter how well you covered your tracks.

I will also add that while this may not be the biggest deal to you now, the higher you plan to go in college, the less of a joke it will be. I've seen students cheat and absolutely destroy their college careers. I don't know how much it's trickled down into high schools, but there's a service available to college teachers that scans essays for points of similarity to known essays. Some kid in an English Lit class of mine bought a paper online, turned it in, and was promptly caught and given the academic equivalent of being flayed alive.

It's for this reason that I always advise high school students to put aside their cheating ways if they plan on going into college. Best to drop the habit now, than pay for it later.

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

Under no circumstances should you ever admit to cheating, you should make that commitment when you decide to cheat in the first place. What you should do is start rumors saying you heard that any snitches will be dealt with severely. If that fails and you do get caught, deny it. Tell the teacher that the accuser has a grudge against you and tell him he needs more proof than testimony from one of your classmates. If that fails, point the finger at someone else in the class, saying you were being coerced all along by threat of violence.

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

Originally posted by abbaba

Under no circumstances should you ever admit to cheating, you should make that commitment when you decide to cheat in the first place. What you should do is start rumors saying you heard that any snitches will be dealt with severely. If that fails and you do get caught, deny it. Tell the teacher that the accuser has a grudge against you and tell him he needs more proof than testimony from one of your classmates. If that fails, point the finger at someone else in the class, saying you were being coerced all along by threat of violence.
    your avatar and your post are saying two entirely different things...............

I haven't been this confused since hilary clinton tried to teach sex ed, which was preceded by bush doing a seminar on economics.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• sqwigginssqwiggins Member Posts: 286

Deny till' you die.

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920

When you screw up in life, you act like a man with some character and learn from your mistake.  How you conduct yourself under pressure reveals your true personality.

You cheated.  You did something wrong.  We've all done it.  Your teacher will recognize if you are sincerely remorseful when you confess.  People who don't try to correct their wrongs can't be trusted or admired, so if you do not confess don't ever feel like you deserve either of those two things.

===============================

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

I say fess up and take your punishment.

• tunabuntunabun Member UncommonPosts: 666

How does that sound?

Cheating is not wrong, only what those who will cheat want you to think so that you will not get as far as them.  Life is full of cheaters, many of which are successful, in fact, if you want to be very successful morals and ethics used consistently that fall in line with religious teachings and beliefs are your enemy.

What you should do IS one of two things;

Talk to your mother and apologize, say you were wrong and ask her to help you make it right, go to the school and talk to the teacher.  This does not mean you have to actually FEEL this way but you must at least feign realistic repentance. 

OR

Calculate the likelihood you will get caught and weigh that against what you will gain if you get away with it versus what you will lose if you don't.  How many people know about it?  How many of those will talk?  How many people not involved in the cheating know about it?  After calculating how likely you are to get caught really look at your consequences, positive and negative.

With the information you gave however it seems your teacher is willing to give you a get out of jail free card, so the mother card should be played here in my opinion, that or admit on your own, one on one, and refuse to name other people who cheated.  Study for the makeup, ask your teacher for help, explain how terrified you were to fail, giving reason for your "ethical" slip up, and that his help would be appreciated.  Make sure to state you now know that asking for help or an extension was the correct path to choose.  People love to help those in need, the key of course is being believably in need.

- Burying Threads Since 1979 -

• Originally posted by tunabun

Cheating is not wrong, only what those who will cheat want you to think so that you will not get as far as them.  Life is full of cheaters, many of which are successful, in fact, if you want to be very successful morals and ethics used consistently that fall in line with religious teachings and beliefs are your enemy.

Life is also full of perfectly competent people who do not need to cheat. Disdain for cheating does not need to be tied to traditional religious teachings and beliefs.

I will grant you that there are plenty of organizations where cheating and lying can get you far, but those organizations tend not be groups I put much stock in. I have always valued hard, honest work. I do not value it because I have been brainwashed into thinking so. I value it because I value myself and what I am capable of. Once I entered college I never cheated, not once. Every grade, every degree, every accolade I have earned on my own without resorting to tricks and lies.

You have also recommended the OP lie to his mother to manipulate her. Let us assume for sake of argument that he dearly loves his mother and respects her as a human being. Is it still okay for him to lie to her and manipulate her in this fashion?

• tunabuntunabun Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Sawtooth

Life is also full of perfectly competent people who do not need to cheat. Disdain for cheating does not need to be tied to traditional religious teachings and beliefs.
    True, but usually is built upon those principles, as most of society still falls in line with the "Ten Commandments" way of thinking.  Grey just does not exist for most people when "discussing" a subject but it is more than normal when "experiencing" one.  People still find corrupt words that need to be abstained from, even base laws and regulations around, this is the type of religiously instigated black and white philosophy from which most people attempt to live their lives in accordance to.

I will grant you that there are plenty of organizations where cheating and lying can get you far, but those organizations tend not be groups I put much stock in. I have always valued hard, honest work. I do not value it because I have been brainwashed into thinking so. I value it because I value myself and what I am capable of. Once I entered college I never cheated, not once. Every grade, every degree, every accolade I have earned on my own without resorting to tricks and lies.
    I'm glad you choose to live that way, if true, it's a rare occurrence.  However, you are choosing to make life much more difficult and have more than likely impeded where you could be, as this is a moral and ethical decision on your part it probably is all the better, as going the other road, albeit more successful when done right, and given your probable nature, would leave you feeling empty, possibly guilty and perhaps even bitter.  That is not the case for most people though, most people are able to dip into the grey and still retain most of their white, which is why I addressed this as I did.

You have also recommended the OP lie to his mother to manipulate her. Let us assume for sake of argument that he dearly loves his mother and respects her as a human being. Is it still okay for him to lie to her and manipulate her in this fashion?
    Is it wrong?  That would depend on a great many things.  If he truly doesn't feel repentant, wants his mothers help but loves and respects her as you say, then perhaps, dependant on his ethical beliefs it could be wrong.  However, weighing ones ethics against important choices is a great life skill, ethics should not be a dogma which veto's any decision one should make but rather a flexible set of advisory rules that take precedence in some cases and can be subverted in others.

Manipulation is something I'm sure you have subscribed to a few times in your life, whether light or heavy, direct or indirect, you've probably done it.  It's a survival trait worth learning, and learning well.  I think light manipulation of his mother isn't all that bad, HOWEVER, I do agree it would be better if he could really feel that way and then not have to feign anything.
    Becoming a master manipulator really isn't so much about convincing the other party that you are stating truth but more so convincing yourself that you truly do feel that way.  Once you get good at it, you really can incite any feeling necessary to get the job done.

- Burying Threads Since 1979 -

• “Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools that don’t have brains enough to be honest.”

-Benjamin Franklin

Study!