Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pretty Much Just Found Out I Am Going To Be A Dad...

8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Excited and freaked out all at the same time.  My wife and I had been trying for a couple months...I guess it worked.  She is 3-5 weeks along.

So for all you parents out there, how did/does having a child change your gaming?

I don't play WoW so you won't be reading about any child of mine not getting fed or washed.

I would be interested in perspectives of both men and women here...although as we all no, there are no girls/women on teh interweb

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

Comments

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

One piece of advice. Kids come first, then games. I've known people who prop the bottle while playing their mmos thinking its ok. Never, ever do it. Spend as much time with your baby as you can - you will have a much better relationship when they get to the toddler years.

I'll post a bit more later. Leaving for work. And, CONGRATS!

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

Originally posted by Dekron

One piece of advice. Kids come first, then games. I've known people who prop the bottle while playing their mmos thinking its ok. Never, ever do it. Spend as much time with your baby as you can - you will have a much better relationship when they get to the toddler years.
    I'll post a bit more later. Leaving for work. And, CONGRATS!

Dont listen to Dekron.. he's just whipped and doesn't know what he's talking about..

GAMES FIRST...... THEN Games!!!

Then if its night time .. your wife...

Then FOOD..

THEN your wife if its not night time

THEN WORK

Then kids..

its the only way

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• housegardenhousegarden Member Posts: 2

I agree with the suggestion "Kids first, then games"~~~

Best wishes for you!!!

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by 8hammer8

Excited and freaked out all at the same time.  My wife and I had been trying for a couple months...I guess it worked.  She is 3-5 weeks along.
    So for all you parents out there, how did/does having a child change your gaming?
    I don't play WoW so you won't be reading about any child of mine not getting fed or washed.
    I would be interested in perspectives of both men and women here...although as we all no, there are no girls/women on teh interweb
    Being a Dad is the best thing in the world.  Nothing else can measure up to that.

You can keep gaming just as you could continue to watch TV.  Might have some interruptions, but that's okay.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

The stages a kid passes through:

0-2 The kid crap, screams and can't eat properly. Food everywhere and no sleep.
    2-5 The kid can't wipe his own ass and insists on painting terrible looking pictures which you must say look awesome.
    6-12 The kid starts school. Nothing to whine about here, he/she's cute.
    13-15 Anarchy time! Now he/she won't obey you and will probably want to buy new trendy clothes. Will maybe start going out partying.
    16-17 More anarchy time!
    18-X He moves from home.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Level up your child so it can feed and wash itself.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Congratulations on the upcoming birth! I think youll find that your going to game just fine. Depends on your wife of course. If your wife is a housewife your set. Most likely youll just change a diaper or two, feed the baby and give it time and attention when it needs it. This leaves you plenty of time to game. On average 2 to 3 hours a night. If your a house husband.. YOUR IN LUCK! Babys sleep ALOT. When they sleep, game!

Love the child. That really is my best advice above all else

• zlayzerzlayzer Member Posts: 81

Congrats just dont become a complete arsehole like my dad.

Try to spend as much time with you kid as you can so that you and he/she have a good relation (My dad only sat infront of his comp and to keep me quiet he gave me one, Well he still only sits infront of his comp and sleeps all day)

But well congrats and i hope you get a Healthy child

• DCTitanDCTitan Member Posts: 88

Since you wanted a child, Congrats.  Though I don't have any kid's, my brother and a good portion of my friends have all had children.  From what I've gathered, your gaming time can take a drastic hit or it can be largely unaffected (a few variables).  

Thing's like how much you and your wife work and if she minds if you have some personal time (meaning she has to watch the kid(s) for a bit on her own) will all affect your game time.  Infants (before they learn to crawl) are fairly easy to care for but once they learn to move about (crawl) and become toddlers you start to loose a good chunk of your personal play time. 

My advice is to get your child on a schedule and don't let them sleep with you (if you value having time to yourself and with your wife).  8:30 p.m. is a good bed time and once down you and your wife can relax (either some couple time or some individual play time).  Also, when your child gets a little older don't constantly entertain them.  Let them learn to play a lone, there is  nothing wrong with them playing dress-up or with their GI Joe / Star War's figures.  I'm not saying to ignore them or to never do anything with them but there is a balance.  Week-ends, again game time is reduced (can't play all day) but there is room available for you to be able to game though there may be interuptions (single player games work will with pause / save futures). 

Good luck!  I personally am uninterested in the self sacrifice to raise children.  No, I don't hate them / dislike them and I certainly enjoy playing with my niece / nephew but at the end of the day I'm glad they go home with my brother. 

• zoey121zoey121 Member Posts: 926

grats and enjoy this time in your life

my kids brought me into gaming now they are grown and we still mmo together . Once i adopted their hobby we had a hoot together

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

First of all I would like to thank the mods for deleting a post on this thread that I saw but could not comment on or I might have been banned after the string of expletives I was going to release.  Also for the two posters who commented on what an idiot that person was...sorry your post got deleted but thanks for stepping up and saying something.

Thanks for the words of wisdom...Riki...if you can find a company willing to power level them from 2-18 let me know, but they have got to be reputable and fairly cheap with payment options.

My wife and I both have hobbies and jobs, so I am sure we will work of some sort of alternating system that allows both of us to do what we enjoy beyond the enjoyment we get from the child.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

I'm sure you may want to power level it, but I'm sure your wife is gonna but it. It's not gonna happen. You do have your parents just in case yall want some alone time. Also just to let you know, as weeks pass, your wife will be a higher level than you. Watch out for aggro and the pvp symbol to come up. Buy her pots and....be a good father? lol. Gratz man! Name the baby Riki.

|

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Rikimaru your advice is truly epic sometimes! I totally forgot about the wifely rage! The simplest cure is .... Laughter! I cant tell you how many times running around the room with underwear on my head screaming Im a happy boy has made my wife totally lose her rage status. That or give me enough time to prepare a escape Of course escape against a ninja wife such as mine is... difficult!

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Originally posted by 8hammer8

First of all I would like to thank the mods for deleting a post on this thread that I saw but could not comment on or I might have been banned after the string of expletives I was going to release.  Also for the two posters who commented on what an idiot that person was...sorry your post got deleted but thanks for stepping up and saying something.
    Thanks for the words of wisdom...Riki...if you can find a company willing to power level them from 2-18 let me know, but they have got to be reputable and fairly cheap with payment options.
    My wife and I both have hobbies and jobs, so I am sure we will work of some sort of alternating system that allows both of us to do what we enjoy beyond the enjoyment we get from the child.
    You're welcome, the comment was completely over the line

And since I forgot with my first post, congrats.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

Originally posted by Techleo

Of course escape against a ninja wife such as mine is... difficult!

Man, it's impossible to escape you wife, period and there is no bull around that.

|

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

Grats on the noob.