Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A review from a player and developers comments.

2»

Comments

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Tuxide

Originally posted by WSIMike

Nothing you put on paper can do a better job of conveying your level of talent than being able to download someone's maps, or someone's prototype or what-not and give it a test run. I've known a couple people who didn't go through a lick of college or formal training and landed jobs (including one who worked on Rune and most recently Prey) purely on the strength of the levels they released for to the community.

Saying that you've modded a game also looks good on a resume, depending on what field you're in.  PlaneShift also has modding communities and forked projects with original art.

When I've tried to connect to PS - regardless of what time of day or night, no matter what ISP I was using at the time, whether I was on a network or connected directly, wireless connection or ethernet cable, firewall or no... same problem. I've owned two completely different PCs with unique hardware in the time I've tried connecting... no difference. No matter what, PS has refused to cooperate.

The problem is on your end, fix your router.  PlaneShift requires you to be able to go out on port 7777 using UDP.  If it really was on PlaneShift's end, then it's because you've been there before and they banned you, or the server really is down.  You can see for yourself whether the server is online (and how stable it has been recently) through http://laanx.fragnetics.com/index.php?page=stats.

Hmm... I'm not on a router at the moment. It's a direct connection. Like I said, it's been a problem no matter what configuration I've run under. It either connects and then disconnects me after 5 minutes or less, or I just get the "failed" message at the login client. At most I've been able to log in, make a character and *maybe* get into the game, just to be dropped out. And as this has been the case for a long time now, any time I've tried, I highly doubt it was a banning thing. I've never raised any issue regarding this project until just very recently, so there wouldn't have been a reason up 'til now. Back when I'd last been able to play it, easily a couple years ago, I was able to log in and stay logged in for an extended amount of time, consistently. So this hasn't always been the case.

Having read a few reports of server instability and less-than-ideal hardware, I don't have a hard time imagining it's somehow related to that. Whatever the reason, I've had next to no success connecting to the thing at all. Not that it concerns me much anymore at this point.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

It either connects and then disconnects me after 5 minutes or less, or I just get the "failed" message at the login client. At most I've been able to log in, make a character and *maybe* get into the game, just to be dropped out.

Okay, that sounds more believable than being consistently unable to connect and always getting the "Failed" message.  Most of the crash-level server bugs that existed a few weeks ago on 0.3.019's release have been resolved.  The ones that do exist I believe are known to be either related to NPC spawning, or the server's hard drive filling up with crash logs (which is rare, but I believe also happened one night in the past two or three weeks).  If you do get disconnected frequently, then bring it up on their IRC channel.  Although the game is playable (albeit not as playable as commercial MMORPGs), it is still pre-alpha software according to SourceForge, and one of the objects of the game is to find new ways to crash the server.

Having read a few reports of server instability and less-than-ideal hardware, I don't have a hard time imagining it's somehow related to that.

Point taken, as per my above paragraph.  Last I heard, Talad is to be looking into getting a bigger box.  It's apparent that the server has outgrown the box which is specified on http://laanx.fragnetics.com/index.php?page=about_page.

Well, I had mentioned that at most I could log in and run around for 5 minutes, tops, before being dropped out again. But I'd get the "failed" message far more often than not.

In any case... there ya go :)

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

Well, I had mentioned that at most I could log in and run around for 5 minutes, tops, before being dropped out again. But I'd get the "failed" message far more often than not. 

I would be curious to know what day this was on, if you don't mind me asking.  I am in-game now, once again as my character and am having no problems.

As for the legality of PlaneShift, I will start another thread on this board containing my views, for that is an interesting discussion.  I really wish Talad would bring me with him when he goes on his crusades.

I haven't tried to actually log on in a couple weeks or so. I haven't been able to successfully log in and actually do anything for any amount of time for well over a year. For the past many months, I've had the results that I described to you earlier.

• Marcus79Marcus79 Member Posts: 24

The best part of this game is to see the development moving forward, being able to participate to discussion about new features, be part of the community in various releases, seeing your chars improve with it. I find this aspect very valuable and enjoyable. If you want a full game just ignore Planeshift in its present state, this is my take.

• QueenofFoolsQueenofFools PlaneShift DeveloperMember Posts: 61

I have to agree, planeshift is not a complete game. It is certainly playable and many people play many many hours a week. If you come with the expectation of seeing a complete game or expect customer service representatives or any other of the hallmarks of a pay-to-play game you will not find those. Our all volunteer army has to make choices on the battles it fights.

• AnumesaAnumesa Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Marcus79

The best part of this game is to see the development moving forward, being able to participate to discussion about new features, be part of the community in various releases, seeing your chars improve with it. I find this aspect very valuable and enjoyable. If you want a full game just ignore Planeshift in its present state, this is my take.
    THis is probably one of my favorite things about PlaneShift. When we went from 019 to 020 it was so exciting to know that when you went back there would be many new features. Plus the events held before the server was shut down to make the switch heightened the anticipation of the whole thing. Where else can you get that? :D
  • moteyalphamoteyalpha Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by Anumesa

Originally posted by Marcus79

THis is probably one of my favorite things about PlaneShift. When we went from 019 to 020 it was so exciting to know that when you went back there would be many new features. Plus the events held before the server was shut down to make the switch heightened the anticipation of the whole thing. Where else can you get that?

:D Anumesa, you highlight the one thing that I have come to appreciate about Planeshift, it is the fact that in some strange way perhaps something like "emergence from chaos" or "quorum sensing in organisms" the game allows the people to express themselves more as true individuals. I don't see that in other games. The complexity of the simulation and the stretch for speed and effect above humanity destroys the real human like experience that I see in Planeshift. I have interacted with many people in game and it is some subtle and undeniable effect that I cannot pinpoint to a certain technological aspect and I find it quite interesting and I intend to continue playing primarily for that reason. It is like the French phrase, I think it is "je ne se qua" or a little something I may never understand.

• pstruthpstruth Member Posts: 233

I think that happens any time you have an environment where people are in it to get to know one another and share their creativity. The expressing yourself is there, but there are many online RPGs that have the same opportunity for character development and creativity. Planeshift is difficult for me sometimes though because it demands such a suspension of disbelief. There are only so many models and you can't customize the appearance of your model at all except for the different armors. We need clothes and costumes and things that aren't practical or meant for fighting.

I know this stuff will happen in time, but as a player I experience Planeshift as if it is right now how it is right now regardless of what it will be like in 5 years.