Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hang on, I thought that RF-Online was a free game?

2»

Comments

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017
    Originally posted by alacres

Originally posted by JayBirdz

At this point you failed on link 2.  make a free account.

I am currently making you a bloody email and FP account since it seems beyond your capabilities.

I will post the email information as well as the fileplanet information in abotu 5 minutes. Don't complain when you see the usernames you rightfully earned them at this point. 

Sorry to break it to you Jay, but we were all wrong (see my above, edited, post)

Fileplanet only offers the trial client which probably isn't even used anymore.

Unless you know something I don't...

The trial works just fine. :) still working on the fileplanet account. Won't accept any fitting names so far it seems.

• twitch242twitch242 Member UncommonPosts: 177

When you click you get your key, you get 5 different download links... http://www.rf-onlinegame.com/freetoplay-step-2.php

Wow that took me about 5 secs.... Internet must really be hard for some people

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

I am currently making you a bloody email and FP account since it seems beyond your capabilities.

I will post the email information as well as the fileplanet information in abotu 5 minutes. Don't complain when you see the usernames you rightfully earned them at this point. 

Sorry to break it to you Jay, but we were all wrong (see my above, edited, post)

The trial works just fine. :) still working on the fileplanet account. Won't accept any fitting names so far it seems.

Well, all I know is, I looked up the client on Fileplanet, found one that was added back in the beginning of 2006, but when I clicked the "Download this file" link, it took me to the subscriber page. And I was already logged in, in case you were wondering. I even triple checked it.

So either it's just a dead link that FP hasn't bothered to clean recently, or you do in fact have to be a paid subscriber to download it.

I say just get it from the RF site like it was intended when the game went free-to-play.

That would be the solution to all of this hassle.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by twitch242

When you click you get your key, you get 5 different download links... http://www.rf-onlinegame.com/freetoplay-step-2.php
    Wow that took me about 5 secs.... Internet must really be hard for some people

He made an honest mistake of clicking download > client > trial client (which is still linked on the RF site for some strange reason >_>) so there's no need to undermine him because of that. It could happen to anyone.

Not everyone looks for the client download through a banner on the front page. It's codemasters fault for having a dead link like that on their site in their download section.

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

Well, all I know is, I looked up the client on Fileplanet, found one that was added back in the beginning of 2006, but when I clicked the "Download this file" link, it took me to the subscriber page. And I was already logged in, in case you were wondering. I even triple checked it.

So either it's just a dead link that FP hasn't bothered to clean recently, or you do in fact have to be a paid subscriber to download it.

I say just get it from the RF site like it was intended when the game went free-to-play.

That would be the solution to all of this hassle.

The sites a scam to begin with.   I am familiar with what your talking about. I had the same issues when I went there awhile back. Theres an option prior to that page to download it freely In some obscure link.   I downoloaded it roughly a month or so ago from file planet.  Now to begin with I do not know what the big flipping woot is with this moron not useing the other official download links.   

But I am working on how to download it at this point. Just to porve a point.  (If I can ever even get his account to be created. ) 

I will eat crow if I am wrong at this point because it changed.   

****Edit..

OK, I give I don't have time to figure out that PoS site.   I rarely ever log into my account over there to  begin with.    I do know I downloaded from them roughly a  month ago for the second time. I believe there was more than one client listing.  Currently I only saw one client listing.  Might be why. 

I was hiting that same splash at the time as well. But  there was an obscure link that let you download it for free. whether it was overlooked at the time I do not know.   I also know I could not register a new File Planet account.  Or somethign was buggy.  It simply would not accept it a few moments ago.  Regaurdless, They design those sites to intrap people and make them feel like they have to pay a fee.

It is still beyond me why this guy has to have his download from fileplanet. Or what the big deal is with him so what file planet appears to now want a fee. Guess what they are not the only provider for downloads. Redcap was provided with links that do work 100% from other sites provided by codemasters/2kgames.  

If he and his friends want to bitch and moan because file planet appears to want a bloody fee now. Tough shit exspecially since he can not get it thru his freaking head that you can download it elsewhere.

God,Evolution,whatever gave man a brain that is designed to adapt and overcome obstacles that life throws mans way seems to have overlooked the OP.  If he can not adapt and over come this at this point.  It is his delima.   RedCap you were given links and help if your can not or unwilling to use them then that is your problem.  You asked for help and people gave you the solution.   have a good day redcap and pull your head out of your rear.  *****

• ShatteredKShatteredK Member Posts: 1

To end there is a link at the home page of RF Online

http://www.rf-onlinegame.com/freetoplay.php

For they have steps, follow them.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Gee, who'd have thought this would happen?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1789034/thread/157860#1789034

• PoolfuryPoolfury Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by ShatteredK

To end there is a link at the home page of RF Online
    http://www.rf-onlinegame.com/freetoplay.php
    For they have steps, follow them.

This link just loops me back to the main Index....all links that have the "Steps" link me back to the main index over and over. I have went through them before and the address to get directly to it is: http://www.rf-onlinegame.com/freetoplay-step-2.php but, even that has an error where it cannot be displayed now. Anyone no if they are just stopping it all together or maybe just working on it?

• NinixNinix Member Posts: 190
    Originally posted by redcap036

yes I have and i don't see a download link on the RF-online main client download page for it.
    yes it's true that you can download RF-online client software for free,( if you know where to find the download link.) the problem is that the main download link on the home page of the RF-Online game, sends you to FilePlanet.com which will only let you download if you are a subscriber, so much for a free game.
    you can download the client software from;
    Xfire.com
    and I've been told, via Torrent download program,( from where i don't know yet)

uhmm dude? please get some facts before u start ranting.. u can download rf online completely free!  u make a free account on fileplanet and use the non sub download servers right next 2 the pay servers... the dl is a lil slower and u have 2 wait 20mins before ur download starts....

• RhalanRhalan Member Posts: 11

For all those people who are still having trouble downloading the game look at this thread

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/162380

We know..., if you had read the other posts on this page, you would know that;

you would know, that some people have NO problems what so ever downloading the game.

you would also know, that some people Are having problems downloading the game they keep getting a fileplanet page telling them that they can only download the client.exe if they subscribe to Fileplanet.com, NO free public server is offered.

this is the page they find instead;

http://www.fileplanet.com/160107/download/RF-Online-Trial/Game-Client

Not every person, gets this link when they try to download the game, sometimes it happens when you try the DOWNLOAD NOW button on the splash screen, sometimes it's from the main page link.

It's seams to be random, sometimes existing player get it, some times new players trying to download the game for the first time get it.

now you know what's happening.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

To the OP who posted the last links taking you to fileplanet. It only asks you to subscribe. I think your getting things mixed up but after all, you did click the trail account. Either way SUBSCRIBING to fileplanet is 100% free. To get a membership account, it COSTS money. Clicking the main link on RF's site takes me directly to fileplanet, were i login with my free account and can download. As noted, you got things mixed up. Subscribing doesn't mean you have to pay, and if it asked you to pay, you were clicking the wrong link or doing something wrong obviously. People here gave you the easy ways to download via alternative links, seeing as your friends apparently have the same amount of knowledge as you. Being a fileplanet member, you should know whenever trying to download anything from fileplanet, you get that page. Its called advertisement. This thread is basically done with. RF Online is free from any site. Any site trying to charge you for the game is scamming you. Next time you make a thread like this, take 2 mins, think about what people will be answering your question, then post it. This is after all, MMORPG.com. And please for the love of anything holy, do your homewrok. Which is apparent you did not do. Go download and have fun playing yet another f2p tech mmo.

Hi mackdawg19, I've blocked your post, I don't like rude pepole, who have nothing helpful to add.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by redcap036

After praising this game to my friends about how free it was and how cool it is, my friends went off to get this great Free game, only to find that codemasters has Fileplanet.com distributing the client software for RF-ONLINE as only for Fileplanet subscribers, there is No non-subscriber download link. the only way to download Rf-online client software is to PAY Fileplanet.com a min 1 month sub fee. need less to say my friends are not interested in Joining Fileplanet.com for any reason.
    or you can go thru Xfire.com and download it for free, u do have to download Xfire and register first, but it's all free......so far.

hmmm I paid nothing to DL it free off their site. I had to hunt for it though.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• bortiisbortiis Member Posts: 16

Let's be honest.

They say it's free because you don't have to pay "money".

But you still pay if you get it from Fileplanet, because you must give out your personal info/email addr.,etc. to register.

If something is free, provide a direct-link. that's all. but you pay with your information, everyone knows this gets sold so there is no reason to be feigning ignorance about it.

if you're not comfortable with this, you can always find some free email service, claim to be "John Doe" born on Jan.1st.1900, and then go sign up with Fileplanet.

I personally think its lame that game companies let Fileplanet host so much of their crap. Some games would have a patch but you could only get it at Fileplanet. Some developers dont have the resources to handle the bandwidth if gazillions need their patches (or they are just miserly). But to let Fileplanet have it exclusively when it's suppose to be free? That blows.

I'm sure plenty of Fileplanet's rivals (like Filefront which doesn't require registration to download!), would be happy to host the stuff. They let you upload stuff there too.

Someone should download the "free" client and then upload it to Filefront lolz.

As Rambo would say,"F@#(* 'em!"

Originally posted by bortiis

Let's be honest.

They say it's free because you don't have to pay "money".
    But you still pay if you get it from Fileplanet, because you must give out your personal info/email addr.,etc. to register.
    If something is free, provide a direct-link. that's all. but you pay with your information, everyone knows this gets sold so there is no reason to be feigning ignorance about it.
    if you're not comfortable with this, you can always find some free email service, claim to be "John Doe" born on Jan.1st.1900, and then go sign up with Fileplanet.

I personally think its lame that game companies let Fileplanet host so much of their crap. Some games would have a patch but you could only get it at Fileplanet. Some developers dont have the resources to handle the bandwidth if gazillions need their patches (or they are just miserly). But to let Fileplanet have it exclusively when it's suppose to be free? That blows.
    I'm sure plenty of Fileplanet's rivals (like Filefront which doesn't require registration to download!), would be happy to host the stuff. They let you upload stuff there too.
    Someone should download the "free" client and then upload it to Filefront lolz.

As Rambo would say,"F@#(* 'em!"

It is on filefront. There a link on the rf site when you go to get a key for the game for it. First you type in the word they always tell you to type in and then on the next page is all the links to  download it from. Filefront is one of them.

• karr1981karr1981 Member Posts: 59

the client is also available on www.gamershell.com amongst others, for those who dont trust fileplanet

• emorphousemorphous Member Posts: 8

It also would not let me download it from that link.  Same problem as the original poster... logged in and ready to go, but it said I had to be a premium member or something.

So I just downloaded it from gamershell.com

However, now the problem is that I can not get a registration key from the RF Online site.  When I click any of the "Play Free!" links, it tries to send me to http://www.rf-onlinegame.com/freetoplay.php.  However, that auto-redirects to http://www.rf-onlinegame.com/?territory=EnglishUSA (their English index page).

So, anyone else having this problem and found a solution? 

Unfortunately the only place I can find that was offering Free Trial keys was FileFront, and that site says there's no more keys.

Searching for registration keys all send me to http://www.rf-onlinegame.com/freetoplay.php, which still sends me in circles.

I tried going through http://www.rf-onlinegame.co.uk to see if it was just the US territory website that was messed up, but either the UK one isn't working, or the website checked my IP address and applies the USA territory rules anyway.  Cause I still ended up at the USA index page.

I'm going to try again later.  It could just be an HTTP coding error, or they're taking it down for a little bit.  If anyone else finds a solution, I'd love to know it :)

Originally posted by emorphous

Unfortunately the only place I can find that was offering Free Trial keys was FileFront, and that site says there's no more keys.
    Searching for registration keys all send me to http://www.rf-onlinegame.com/freetoplay.php, which still sends me in circles.
    I tried going through http://www.rf-onlinegame.co.uk to see if it was just the US territory website that was messed up, but either the UK one isn't working, or the website checked my IP address and applies the USA territory rules anyway.  Cause I still ended up at the USA index page.
    I'm going to try again later.  It could just be an HTTP coding error, or they're taking it down for a little bit.  If anyone else finds a solution, I'd love to know it :)
    http://www.tryrfonline.com/splash.php?return=index.php?

click on the page that it shows and then it should take you to get your key.

• AlakayaAlakaya Member Posts: 4

Okay, first of all, Hi, name's Alakaya, I'm not new to MMORPG, but I finally decided to stop being lazy and sign up today. Nice to meet you guys. I'm an avid fan of MMORPGs, and this site is one of the best for new and upcomming mmos. Gotta get my greeting out of the way you know. =p

Now then, as to the issue at hand, I am also having the same problem. People are not listening to each other, and this is why we are all fighitng. The main site for this game, RF, takes most of the people trying to sign up in a very large loop. I am about to write an email to their customer service explaining this to them, and see what I am going to get. ALL of the links posted in this topic, help NO one at all, who continues to have a problem either downloading, or getting a key for, the game RF. I understand it works for the people who are NOT having issues, and is the reason you aren't having issues in the first place.

What I can do: For the download portion of the proccess, simply go to gamershell.com, and use the search function at the top of the page. Type in RF online, and the first link it retrieves for you should be the full client. Just download it from there. After that, I've no idea how to get this "code" everyone keeps talking about, as I'm still dling the game. I know for a FACT that anyone who is getting stuck in a loop on the main site will find no solutions in this topic in terms of the activation key, as that problem hasn't been solved by anyone who is actually having the problem. Also, those posting the direct link to the activation code process, that link is showing a 404 server error, everytime, and thusly is not a solution.

Let's calm down, stop arguing, and see if we can actually get something done about this, shall we? I will see what I can do as well.

-Alakaya

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

RFO main site seems to be broken and tryrfonline as well.
    If other sites ran out of keys, there might be no way to play the game atm. It is possible that CM reached the desired amount of avr. players online or they are having technical difficulties. You can submit a ticket after you create COG account (link on the main site's nav. bar), if I remember correctly. Ask about what's going on and how to get a key through them.

Cheers.

• AlakayaAlakaya Member Posts: 4

Alright guys, I got a key, and a download. The game runs fine, and here's the full scoop.

Throughout this whole topic, We've all been arguing and debating, and it's getting no one anywhere. The truth of the matter is, both sides are right to an extent. There are people who can play this game from the site, no problem, nothing stops them, except for the fileplanet link if they are not registered to fileplanet. This is the only untrue thing that has been stated. Unless you have a fileplanet account, a PAID fileplanet account, you CANNOT get this game from fileplanet. I don't care who says you can, if you can, you are either paid, or have already downloaded an older version of this game. End of story.

The good thing for everyone is that you do not have to. It is available at many other sites, filefront, gamershell, and a lot of your other favorite download sites as well. After getting the game, the problem most people then face is getting a key. This proved nearly impossible for me to do as well, until I finally found the answer. Go here. http://community.codemasters.com/fo...ad.php?t=250347 You may have to sign up with the codemasters forum before you can see that, but since you want to play RF, you should do that anyways. One of those solutions WILL get you a code. and as the site states, you don't have to pay a cent for it. I'm going to post a step by step guide in this section in a few minutes to fully outlined how I went about getting this to work, if ANYONE has any problems understanding any of what I just said, please contact me. [email protected], I WILL help you. Now, lets stop all the fighting shall we? ^^

-Alakaya

Perfect  Alakaya!  It worked great.

There are two scenarios when trying to get RF Online for free.  Either:

1.  You can go to the http://tryrfonline.com and the links there work perfectly.  It will give you a list of download links, and information on how to get your registration key.  Install the game and use the registration key at The Codemasters Page (you will have to create an account).  After that, enjoy.

or!

2.  http://tryrfonline.com just reroutes you to either the RF-Online.com homepage, or gives you a 404 error.  No matter what you do, the rf-online.com website will not help you.  If this is you, follow these steps:

a.  Go to http://gamershell.com/download_21484.shtml and pick the fastest available server.  I got the file at 65 kb/s (7 1/2 hours).

b.  Go to http://wrapper.fileplanet.com/s?fro...nch%20Pre view .  It may ask you to login (or register for) your FilePlanet account.  It didn't ask me.

c.  Click the blue "Start Playing" button and it will give you an activation key.

d.  Go to The Codemasters Page and create an account.  Then start a new subscription for RF Online using the given key.

e.  Install game and enjoy.

I can't figure out why some people can't get it to work as intended.  Whatever it is, there's a lot of people having this problem.  Thanks to Alakaya for finding the solution!

edit:  fixed broken link