Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just found this game; It's called Alganon

I was surfing around on mmosite.com, and happened upon this game. It looks pretty neat, but is still in development. Some of the the features are: a skill based system, no levels, character appearance changes with skill, massive world, an in depth lore which makes for good pve and pvp, 8 races to choose from, and nine classes. There will also be an auction house, clothing and weapon coloring, and a built in voice chat is being considered. Not sure if anybody had heard about it, so I figured I'd just post a link. Have a gander!

www.alganon.com/index.php

Check it out! You might like what you see.

Comments

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Y'know, initially I was like "yeah, yeah, another free web based crap game or something."  But now after reading the FAQ I'm just confused.  If this is coming out in 2k8, how the hell are they flying this low under the radar?  Anyway, the concept sounds interesting, but everyone's concept tends to sound interesting.

I checked out the forums and the media, and got an immense surprise - the screenshots looked like something you'd see in a game!  Clearly they have not mastered the art of taking the best computer possible, then 'retouching' the shots in photoshop to get the absolute best bullshots ever.  Its... strange. 

Overall, the fact that they obviously don't have marketing people can only be a positive.  I look forward to hearing more about this one, hopefully from real actual human beings, and not marketing automatons. 

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Ive had this 1 bookmarked and have been watching it for bout year and a half now, This past fall was pretty active for them with some funding, expanding there development team, and a new look to Site .

Hoping this 1 makes to launch imtact they are boasting features that many of would like to see..

• gingus418gingus418 Member Posts: 128

I'm not a marketing automaton. I just noticed the game, and it looked interesting, so I thought that other people might like to check it out too. It would be cool if more people knew about the game though. It looks like it could be very good.

Originally posted by Scorchien

Ive had this 1 bookmarked and have been watching it for bout year and a half now, This past fall was pretty active for them with some funding, expanding there development team, and a new look to Site .
                               Hoping this 1 makes to launch imtact they are boasting features that many of would like to see..

They said they were ignoring marketing right now in favor of programming a good game.  This strikes me as great, as the most hyped games have proved pretty sad.

Originally posted by gingus418

I'm not a marketing automaton. I just noticed the game, and it looked interesting, so I thought that other people might like to check it out too. It would be cool if more people knew about the game though. It looks like it could be very good.

I know you aren't now. Its just that most posts that look like "Hey guys, check out this cool thing I found" are a marketers attempt at bad viral marketing.  Didn't mean any offense. 

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• lilune666lilune666 Member Posts: 129

I think this actually looks very promising!

That's alright, no offense taken. I guess in a way I was trying to market the game a bit though. I think that it looks cool, and just wanted to tell people about it.

• KassiahKassiah Member Posts: 70

The game used to be called Crusade, it has had some media coverage but not a lot. Im pretty sure I read an interview here on MMORPG with its lead designer/CEO, David Allen. Mr. Allen was the lead designer of Horizons before it was morphed into the mess that was released. So, I keep an eye on Alganon in the hopes this one is done right. The website and forums have been pretty dead for months though... so not sure if the game is dead in the water or what.

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

Lot's of interesting ideas but for now, I must say that the current screenshots are not giving it any pride. I'm not looking for EVE-like graphics but some of them are simply horrible hehe. Since Fantasy games are not really my cup of tea, it really needs to stand out visually in order to attract me.

There's so many MMOs in devellopement, it's hard for them to actually catch the eye of everyone. The same situation occurs in music and in the Cinema industry. People notice the high profile and often ignore the masterpieces.

Well, I'm pretty sure that the development is going strong. The website that you see was just redone and updated around christmas time of '07, so I feel safe in making the assumption that the game is still slowly plodding forward in its development.

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432

Originally posted by gingus418

I was surfing around on mmosite.com, and happened upon this game. It looks pretty neat, but is still in development. Some of the the features are: a skill based system, no levels, character appearance changes with skill, massive world, an in depth lore which makes for good pve and pvp, 8 races to choose from, and nine classes. There will also be an auction house, clothing and weapon coloring, and a built in voice chat is being considered. Not sure if anybody had heard about it, so I figured I'd just post a link. Have a gander!
    www.alganon.com/index.php

Check it out! You might like what you see.

Hmm.. looks promising for sure. It appears they don't have a community marketing manager, maybe you should apply?

http://www.alganon.com/employment.htm

I was thinking about applying for the server dev position but they want some pretty serious C++ experience and I've only got 3 years

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Looking at the screenshots for this game reminds me a LOT of "Irth Worlds". Irth Worlds is already out.. might check it out if you like the looks of this game.

- Zaxx

• mutantmagnetmutantmagnet Member Posts: 274

Originally posted by Sharajat

Overall, the fact that they obviously don't have marketing people can only be a positive.  I look forward to hearing more about this one, hopefully from real actual human beings, and not marketing automatons. 

Without marketing a game has less chances of attracting subscribers. Less subscribers just leads to complaints from current players about barren worlds. Less players alos leads to less content updates. :|

• Azure77Azure77 Member Posts: 355

Originally posted by mutantmagnet

Without marketing a game has less chances of attracting subscribers. Less subscribers just leads to complaints from current players about barren worlds. Less players alos leads to less content updates. :|

marketing is handling by the publisher. The last thing you want to do during alpha and development is begin blowing a whistle and attracting attention. The current price tag US for Alpha to playable demo is 2.5 million (according the last book publish in 2007) , the largest amount spent on games US is marketing.

In the US , its too costly to market the game on TV and radio. SOE hate them or love them , had the best deal , USA , TBS and a Fox deals that allow them to put ads on during major programs like WWF and Charmed... It reported a 30 second game ad on during prime time cost 120k for 1st airing then a certain percent each run for like 3 weeks.

In the US, game stores have a wierd system for selling games. A game publisher has to pay for shelf space, low demand games have pay more , and if you under sell , they send the unsold product back. Wizard 6 & 7 suffered a critical blow in 90s when they refused to pay for space , (a spot) and were placed behind the counter in major retailers.

Marketing is a mess, that is why even Ncsoft used SOE for a bit to sell games in japan.

If youre building game the last thing you want to do is waste any money. Hate or love , fileplant , game mags , and exclusive offers for paid beta is how they are not covering market cost.

*I m hoping Mr Allen makes the game of his dream , he got screwed on Horizen.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by zaxtor99

Looking at the screenshots for this game reminds me a LOT of "Irth Worlds". Irth Worlds is already out.. might check it out if you like the looks of this game.

- Zaxx

Actually it looks alot like Horizons was suppost to look.

We will see if Mr Allen can deliver on this one, I wouldn't hold my breath.

The original concepts and ideas for Horizons were awesome. But everything got changed and it had a f*cked up launch to top it off.  It was the Vanguard of 2003. Broken, changed, messed up and not even close to finished. Although Allen really didn't have anything to do with the current Horizons all the drama and crap that followed... I remember the hype for this one, they had a Zboard and damn action figures planned.

Originally posted by mutantmagnet

So lets start the marketing 3 months before release.  Then the marketing can tell you what the game is in a positive, upbeat manner. 

I'm tired of the current crop of MMOs, which follow the pattern:

Get big name people together

Announce groundbreaking, award winning MMO that has never been done before

Have marketing market this incredible game

Have lots of people talk about all the new ground you're breaking with this game. 

Have all your other programmers working on some other goddamn game.  Preferably, that game should only tangentally relate to the thing the marketing goons are babbling about.  Give it about 1/10th the features, make it laggy as sin and buggy as hell.

Just saying its nice to see a company with its priorities straight.  

-Thomas Jefferson

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

I wonder why this game isn't listed here????

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

Originally posted by Torak  
    The original concepts and ideas for Horizons were awesome. But everything got changed and it had a f*cked up launch to top it off.  It was the Vanguard of 2003. Broken, changed, messed up and not even close to finished. Although Allen really didn't have anything to do with the current Horizons all the drama and crap that followed... I remember the hype for this one, they had a Zboard and damn action figures planned.

God, I remember beta testing that game.

/shudder

Crashed my PC damn near every time I tried to test it out.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Seems pretty good. Although I hate the site itself, it's just terrible. Hopefully it does actually meet the standards they've set for themselves.