Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stop your rants! Jagex is setting out to improve the game!

LlamsterLlamster Member Posts: 234

Everyone who's mindlessly yelling at Jagex can shut up now. They've just posted an article that'll probably be a big relief to many of you.

---

Even though this week has been one of the toughest ever for everyone involved with RuneScape, it has been tough for so much longer than one week. Bots, gold sellers, scammers: these are all problems that both us and you - the players - have had to put up with together in recent months.

These occurrences were becoming so frequent that they seriously threatened RuneScape. A solution was needed as soon as possible, so we had to come up with the one thing that would successfully stop real-world traders – stopping unbalanced trade. It will be tough for law-abiding players, but it will also be tough for us, as we will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you.

Soon, the hard part will be over and done with. The unbalanced trade changes will be made in January and we certainly don’t plan any more hard changes in the foreseeable future. Together, we will deliver an enormous blow to real-world trading, and the game has already seen a dramatic reduction in their numbers.

We have always planned to release the real-world trading updates and then improve them further by listening to your feedback. We were also aware that the updates may not have been perfect the first time around, or that they may not have functioned as an ideal replacement for what we have changed or taken away. This is not a reason to roll them back or remove them, but it IS a reason to keep improving them until they DO work as a full replacement.

The hard choices we have made are the best ones for the game, and we must not do anything that allow bots, gold sellers or scammers back into the game. What we need to do is build on these first, large steps and use your feedback to make improvements, so that they better fit your needs and activities.

We would really like you to make your feelings known, not in a negative manner that offers no potential solutions, but with constructive criticism and suggestions that we can draw ideas from. For example, if something is broken, don't just demand that we put it back to what it was - instead, tell us your ideas to make the new system work. In summary: we would like you to think about how we can make life in RuneScape more enjoyable for you, while ALSO keeping out real-world traders and bots.

It’s going to take a lot of patience and effort from all of us. Saying that, we have not been sitting around hoping for you all to come up with ideas. We have been putting together a plan. This is a schedule of ideas for improvements that will build on a number of our changes: the Grand Exchange, new player-killing games (including other dangerous ones), LootShare, Assist System, trades and so many other things that we have introduced to combat real-world trading. We aim to have the most important improvements ready in time for the unbalanced trade removal in January, and to continue adding more throughout the start of next year.

We are currently assembling the best ideas from the Forums and our own staff. We will release another newspost early next week, listing the improvements we plan to make to address your concerns.

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.
Currently playing: RuneScape, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.

Comments

• orodeonorodeon Member Posts: 79

lol all it sounds like to me is that they lost so many players in a short time that there trying to find a way out...   why else post this After the update...

if they really wanted to not alienate the players they would have given this information long before they updated the game servers

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

lmao .. your kidding right?  That does not put anyone at ease ... It looks to me like they felt the impact in their membership loss that they scrambled to put something together to try and make people think they know what they are doing. The only thing that would make players feel at ease would be an apology, and to put things back the way they were with hard drive banning in it's place.  As they stated again in there that the unbalanced trade effects will go into place as planned.. that makes things worse not better. The reduction is in players not bots... those bots are now training higher so they can sell them for more $ .. just try to see how many are talking .. I dare ya :P .. Yes we went bot hunting .. they are there .. everywhere.. And now the biggest threat to runescape is not the bots it is the lack of members. In recent years they have hired on alot of staff, and payed alot for these updates... now they will be feeling the impact of the bad decsion because people have already had enough with their responses from customer service. They did not  make any attempt to even be nice about it until they realized the numbers. Too little .. too late.

Originally posted by Llamster

Everyone who's mindlessly yelling at Jagex can shut up now. They've just posted an article that'll probably be a big relief to many of you.
    First off I have not been mindlessly yelling at Jagex, what you fail to realize we tried to express to them BEFORE they made this decsion. Not just me but many other players  before they made the duel arena update they had wrongfully banned many high level players for accepting free gifts from friends. We tried to tell them about what they had done and offer better options. JAGEX deleted the posts and  threatened forum bans if you discussed the matter with them any further. They were banning without evidence and not allowing any appeals. We petitioned to save  unbalanced trades before all of this and they did not care what we had to say about it at all.  

---

Even though this week has been one of the toughest ever for everyone involved with RuneScape, it has been tough for so much longer than one week. Bots, gold sellers, scammers: these are all problems that both us and you - the players - have had to put up with together in recent months.
    yes and if they would hard drive ban them it would give more relief than " their existing framework"  They left out the biggest reason why people lose heart in the game .. The hackers. The hackers drop all your hard earned items and laugh about it.. and they still will be able to do so, this had no affect on them whatsoever.

These occurrences were becoming so frequent that they seriously threatened RuneScape.
    Jagexs removal of charity, and kindness to other players threatens runescape much more than  any bot ever did.
    A solution was needed as soon as possible, so we had to come up with the one thing that would successfully stop real-world traders – stopping unbalanced trade. It will be tough for law-abiding players, but it will also be tough for us, as we will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you.
    that is not the only effective way to stop them in fact they were given other solutions already and removed them from their forums because they did not want the whole public aware of the fact that there aare other options, infact it stopped the kid that supplied one account with another, but now they are selling whole accounts..
    Soon, the hard part will be over and done with. The unbalanced trade changes will be made in January and we certainly don’t plan any more hard changes in the foreseeable future. Together, we will deliver an enormous blow to real-world trading, and the game has already seen a dramatic reduction in their numbers.
    The dramatic drop in numbers is not bots but it is  paying law abiding members, that valued  being  able to help one another and freedom of giving what they wanted to who they wanted.. The bots have not even left yet.
    We have always planned to release the real-world trading updates and then improve them further by listening to your feedback. We were also aware that the updates may not have been perfect the first time around, or that they may not have functioned as an ideal replacement for what we have changed or taken away. This is not a reason to roll them back or remove them, but it IS a reason to keep improving them until they DO work as a full replacement.
    Yes it is a reason to remove them, and  do it right this time.  There is no reason the public has to suffer when the banning of hard drive ip  not isp ip can put a larger dent in it than  letting them just keep creating accounts. they would have to buy a new hard drive and create a new account everytime you banned one. The same  hard drive detection tool currently in use with pc pitstop would easily be an answer to solve this problem.
    The hard choices we have made are the best ones for the game, and we must not do anything that allow bots, gold sellers or scammers back into the game. What we need to do is build on these first, large steps and use your feedback to make improvements, so that they better fit your needs and activities.
    We  told them what are needs were, and they chose to delete them from forums and  ban those posting them.. as long  as the suggestions are within their framework they can be posted .. and not until now that everyone has cancelled memberships, prior to this being done they refused to allow you to talk about it at all.
    We would really like you to make your feelings known, not in a negative manner that offers no potential solutions, but with constructive criticism and suggestions that we can draw ideas from. For example, if something is broken, don't just demand that we put it back to what it was - instead, tell us your ideas to make the new system work. In summary: we would like you to think about how we can make life in RuneScape more enjoyable for you, while ALSO keeping out real-world traders and bots.
    Jagex needs to stop pretending like they were unaware of the solutions that made everyone happy.  Unless their mods took it upon themselves to keep those solutions out without telling anyone, then they should have known what they were before they ever made such an error in judgement.
    It’s going to take a lot of patience and effort from all of us. Saying that, we have not been sitting around hoping for you all to come up with ideas. We have been putting together a plan. This is a schedule of ideas for improvements that will build on a number of our changes: the Grand Exchange, new player-killing games (including other dangerous ones), LootShare, Assist System, trades and so many other things that we have introduced to combat real-world trading. We aim to have the most important improvements ready in time for the unbalanced trade removal in January, and to continue adding more throughout the start of next year.
    here is the whole thing they fail to understand, players do not want just pking games, they want free wildy, free trade,  free staking. that was what made runescape fun for most people.What made runescape fun to so many players was it was one of the only games that you had total freedom of choice as to what you want to do, without that for people who have completed all the quests, maxed their skills,  and killed every monster in the game all that was left was helping others and pking,  it was about doing fun things with your friends, when i can't spend my $ on friends .. I don;t see a reason to earn it anymore.
    We are currently assembling the best ideas from the Forums and our own staff. We will release another newspost early next week, listing the improvements we plan to make to address your concerns.
    yes these ideas will all make everything take longer, like it didn;t take long enough to  run laws at an altar, or fish the sharks to trade them. it seems there will be nothing left on the game for players that  only have 30 min a day to play.

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

Originally posted by orodeon
    if they really wanted to not alienate the players they would have given this information long before they updated the game servers

They sort of did, but a lot of people didn't really pay attention to it and just started flaming jagex.

?

Before tempers started to flare.. Here is what had occurred, several months ago Jagex started randmomly Banning Players for unbalanced trades and calling it "real world item trading" with no evidnce considered other than the trade itself. How do I know this? I was  at a friends quitting runescape party, the following day all 20 people that had received free items from that party were banned. So I go to forums  to see what was going on, and  see a thread " is kindness banable" luckily a few people did see this thread before the forum mods locked it and deleted it's contents.  The response from the Jagex was terrible. Saying yes it can be. Then I started seeing more and more threads from players saying " my dad and grandma got banned for helping me." or "I got banned for giving my girlfriend a birthday present" .. more and more like that just kept flooding in. People made many good suggestions how to keep trade and get rid of  real world item traders but jagex chose to  remove their posts instead. These were not  flaming threads, there were people asking real questions and having real answers.  when they banned people for real world item trading  they could not appeal and could not discuss it with them, if you tried they threatened to ban anyone who did.  It was the worst example of customer service I have ever personally dealt with. Then came the duel arena updates.. and pking and unbalanced trade, that was the last straw for many. They were ignored, threatened, and disregarded by  runescape staff. That was when they had had enough .. told Jagex what they thought about it  and left. People tend to assume that it is just a bunch of hot headed kids getting upset here. But the truth is it is the parents, the clan leaders, the people who play this game to help peeople. The people that are the most upset by this are the people that used to defend runescape, as you can see from my previous posts here prior to their final decision, yes I too was a defender of runescape. But after being disregarded by Jagex for so long .. I too throw in the towel.  I can't defend something that is so very wrong.

• AranErainAranErain Member Posts: 3

Hello tho everyone...I am completey new here, but here is what I would like to say about rs.

(and no: I am not mindlessly yelling)

I have been drawn into rs by my son. As he started playing the game, I felt it was my responsibilty to check out was he was going to get himself involved in. And as a result: I got hooked to rs. Mainly since it allowed the player so much freedom of choice and freedom of interaction.

I have cancelled my membership, as Jagex in their infinite wisom  has ignored many many well thought out and well written posts on their forums. Posts that outlined problems in the game in combination with ideas of how to fix them. I have hardly ever seen any (positive or neagtive)feedback from Jagex.  More over: the few replies from J-Mods that I have seen have been downright arrogant.

With the upcomming unbalanced-trade update, they have even made their rule 2 of the game a LIE... One of the explanations given under rule 2 is that they will never set limits to any trade, and look at what they are doing with the recent DOWNdates.

RS is no longer the type of game I got hooked to. And like many I have set out to find a new game.

Combat lvl 118, with total lvl 2020. I have played rs for 4 years...it was fun as long as it lasted.

To deviliscious 

I warmhartedly agree with the replies you have given.

EDIT: sorry for any spell errors I might have made, but please forgive me for them, as I am not a native English speaker (and certainly not a native English writer  ).

• LlamsterLlamster Member Posts: 234

I do not know why Jagex went ahead and did the update before they were ready. But I am confident that they will do what is good for the game: raise the difference-between-trade cap, make the wilderness more free, fix LootShare, etc. Any reasonably intelligent person would be able to fix the problems created by the updates.

Jagex is more than reasonably intelligent. I know that as a fact.

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.

Jagex's  intelligence is often overrulled by their pride. They treat customers like  they do not matter. They did not even try to be nice about it  until most of the members cancelled their memberships.  Their customer service is rude and arrogant.  The only help I have ever received from jagex in all the years I had played was from tech support not customer service. 

• roguetechroguetech Member Posts: 126

Oh, well, then, since they said all that the game is back to being great, and all is forgiven. NOT!  Another pile of condescending, insulting, say-nothing tripe to add to the rest.

Short translation:

The market is all f'd up. It's over 99% your fault. (Note - We admit we're price fixing.) We're going to get around to more price-fixing items that are really really whacked real soon-ish, and commodity items. We're planning on releasing ["working on"] market data. When prices of high demand consumables stabalise and rise, it's because all the bots are gone. We're keeping mum on changes to how the GX works. We'll waive the ±5% rule on the price we pull out of our asses for new items.

The ONLY things new in this is he alludes ANOTHER shock coming in January, and they're going to supposedly release market data (but with Jagex "working on" and "plan on releasing" may be completely different).

This 'announcement',  if anything, pushes me further away from RuneScape and damn sure doesn't bring me relief!!!

• RyfelwrRyfelwr Member Posts: 5

I agree with deviliscious .  I had several high lvl characters.  Last one was 118.  Always been F2P.  One of the early players.  Jagex totally ignores F2p.  All I got were form replies about the new updates.  Yea, Jagex really cares.....not.

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276

So essentially they still stand behind whatever they did and are now scrambling to find anything to combat falling subscriptions.

Yeah thats a real reassurance for the community, haha.

• K33n0K33n0 Member Posts: 80

Everything i like about RS when I started has been obliterated.

Staking? Gone.  Merchanting? Gone.  PKing? Gone.  Rune Running? Gone.  Being nice to first time players or friends? Gone.

All because of RWT.

What idiots those people at Jagex are.

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

pking = player killing. In duel arena, fight pits, clan wars and bounty hunter you kill other players. This is what is known as player killing. Player killing isnt gone. However, scamming, macroing, real world trading and more things ruining the game have gone.

?

• K33n0K33n0 Member Posts: 80

When i said PKing, I meant the origional concept of PKing in the wilderness, not  Bounty "pile on anyone with a higher coloured skull with a DDS" Hunter. Also, when I said staking, I meant staking as in putting big money on a knife edge in one duel, not a tournament that could last for up to 64 duels. And what rewards do you get from clan wars? Nothing. Yes, I know about the fight pits, but they havn't been made smaller by Jagex, have they?

Perhaps i should have said : PKing without any rules or restrictions and substantial rewards.

• DivineIcezDivineIcez Member Posts: 21

Set an improvement to the game? Yeah right.

RuneScape is the only game that does this crud. Other MMORPG games will do it BUT #1 REASON IS: it will affect players badly. 

If you think clearly, Games are trying to get people to play more of it and get addicted to it. Not ruin it.

You may think that Jagex is trying to improve the game but they arent if like 75-85% of runescape players hate it.

Oh yeah and jagex didnt stop RWTs. Now they ask for your username and password so they can make the money for you in less than 5 days.. Jagex failed to stop RWTs and runescape is in ruin.

~DivineIcez~

• mentalmonkeymentalmonkey Member Posts: 85

I find this update insane i honestly dont know why Jadex did this

Because of the very natrure of Runescape real world trading has little to no impact on the game's legitimate players. lets check some of the key points..

There are no real named / rare monsters to camp (thus removing other palyers fun / income) and if they are you can server hop in a few clicks of the mouse .   Check

the Items for PVP are fairly basic and thus buying gold does not give you a massive advantage as many people have the same gear. Check

The main reason games seek to remove real world trading is the way it affects the economy and in games like Eve online in which the economy is very important and key to the game it is a big problem but in Runescape it is of far less importance due to a delocalised, non server specific market.   Check

Jadex should never have even considered this update and should have used thier time to make moves against Bots, farmers and banned thoose responsible rather than destroy the game for everyone. 

Luckily I left this game a long time ago for a number of reasons but I know people that have been affected

EQ2 player
    Ex - EVE Online addict
    played -
    SWG, EQ2, Vanguard, Planetside, Second Life, EVE-O and a few randoms

That update is useless. I bet clu penguin is now better than runescape

~DivineIcez~

• SimiswimmSimiswimm Member Posts: 127

"hard drive banning"

Oh yeah, that really works. For those that know how to hack, you can make a auto-remove program in any programming language that you feel like and remove the entire filesystem Jagex has set up.

Or: Unplug and re-plug in your internet modem.

Or: If Jagex were to ban serial numbers on their servers, it is easy to spoof your hard drive serial number.

Or: If you're computer illiterate, just use a proxy. Sometimes slower, but solves all your banning problems in a snap.

If all else fails, take 30 minutes out of your day and reformat your computer.

That's why this type of ban doesn't work.

-=- Simiswimm -=-

Hard drive banning could work if it was done properly. In order to play the game you would have to download the ACTUAL hard drive detection tool or  it would not let you play.  that tool would detect your actual hard drive, so modem, proxies,  or spoofing the serial wouldn't work. But the only way for this to be possible would be to  not let you play the game unless you  allowed the detection tool. And yes I am sure there could be work arounds but it would  make it alot harder than it is and would be more effective than the ridiculous rules they put in place.  The updates did nothing to stop hackers from hacking you and dropping all your stuff thinkin it was funny and people quit over that happening wayy more than some stupid bot at a tree.  And no I am not just talking about just banning the hard drive. ban the hard drive and ALL accounts asscoiated with that ip. If it is a shared computer, I am sure the people who were not hacking botting and scamming on that same ip will be pretty upset with the person who did and make sure that it doesn;t happen again.

• LlamsterLlamster Member Posts: 234

Originally posted by DivineIcez

That update is useless. I bet clu penguin is now better than runescape
    ~DivineIcez~

The 'Cold War' quest+the iceberg has more content (and more penguin NPCs) than Club Penguin.

The update changed, what, 20% of the game.

RuneScape is offically the worst PvP game in the history of MMORPGs