Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIP Wurm 1.0

pinkdaisypinkdaisy Member CommonPosts: 361

Two days ago one of two servers crashed (there's a PvE server called "home" and a PvP server called "wild").  The main dev said that 2 of the 3 hard drives on the home server were ruined.  We waited about 48 hours to find out how far the rollback would be.

They announced the last usable backup was nearly 4 months old.    Thus they have decided to start the game over.  Ten months of playtime down the tubes.  Every single avatar, item, skillpoint, village, is gone.  They announced the game will be down for another 10 days.  That's a total of 12 days downtime. 

For our troubles they have offered us two weeks additional gametime.  That's it.  Because the devs didn't do proper backups players lost a) their time, b) their character stats, and c) all of their items.  The devs didn't want to reimburse the players premium time because they want keep getting the revenue from the subscriptions.

In the end the players lose their time, skills, items, and subscription time and the devs who let it happen lose nothing.

The game went "gold" 10 months ago and they have been charging premium players to ever since.  It seems much more like a paid beta to me.

I really wanted to see this game succeed.  Sadly though it's not ready for primetime.

~PD

www.TheChippedDagger.com My 90-day 2D Java MMORPG project

They that can give up essential liberty for temporary safetey deserve neither. -- Ben Franklin
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. -- Milton Berle

Comments

• srasmsrasm Member UncommonPosts: 42

Ok, you lost your items and character stats, that's really bad. But time ? Didn't you have fun playing this game ? If not, why did you play at all ?

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357

I agree that its not a good situation right now, but there is a silver lining.  It gives the devs and the players a chance to look at all aspects of the game and see what could be improved.  It gives new players a chance to make a name in the world without having to compete with well established older players.  It gives the community to become tighter as people will have to work together to survive and succeed.  Also if you look at the official forums, there are plans to give some other reward/compensation/bribe(depending on what way you look at it).  Just because they havent finalized what exactly it will be doesnt mean that theyre ignorant of the losses players took.  Personally, from what Ive seen of the game overall and the response to this, they are doing better than I would expect a small budget game with a small team to able to do.

• HunterAPHunterAP Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by srasm

Ok, you lost your items and character stats, that's really bad. But time ? Didn't you have fun playing this game ? If not, why did you play at all ?

Playing Wurm is not, "fun."  People play wurm for a sense of accomplishment.  When those accomplishments go up in smoke, you're left with an empty feeling.  I had been "enjoying," my time in Wurm recently.  However, this setback is probably the last straw for me.  I simply cannot believe that a company that is hosting an MMO is not doing proper backups.

• srasmsrasm Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by HunterAP

Originally posted by srasm

Playing Wurm is not, "fun."  People play wurm for a sense of accomplishment.  When those accomplishments go up in smoke, you're left with an empty feeling.  I had been "enjoying," my time in Wurm recently.  However, this setback is probably the last straw for me.  I simply cannot believe that a company that is hosting an MMO is not doing proper backups.

Hmm, I played Wurm for a while just for fun and nothing else. I will lose my small hut, a mediocre quality iron mine and some other things. However, I wouldn't call those "accomplishments", I prefer to "accomplish" things in RL. For me, the reset means I'll get a new map to explore and probably having fun while doing so

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

NEVER put money in an indie game. these are the things that happen with indie games.

• JarydJaryd Member Posts: 62

Pink, I feel you. (Man I hate your new nickname prefered the old guy better) But you have to look at  it from a busines side. Your money has been used up for services rendered.  Wether the services you recieved were any good that is for you to decide. But you payed to play the time you played. Wether you stood around and did nothing or gave yourself CTS from constantly clicking. Yes it is a shame that they did not use thier brains in deciding how often to do backups. But you knew going in that this is a 2 man team (now a single man operation) that make more mistakes than not and have to do several fixes for each mistake till they get to a somewhat reasonable simulation of correct.  You have been there through map after map ( at least 1 map more than me) and have past experience to fall back on. The only real difference between Wurm crapping out like it did and a real company is the real company folds its doors and doest try to restart.

The basic idea of this game is fantastic. Instead of total whining  you should be thankful they havent tossed in the towel. What I love so much about this game is how they give us a blank map , a whole new world , and let us create. For me a yearly reset would be the most fun. But that wouldn't sit right with those whos only goal is being the best of something.

Yes the game went Gold. That term is being used because there is no term for  what they admitted. They need paying players to continue development. They were at the point as to either that was the option or close the project down. After a while you end up with old mostrosities like say Sin City became. A vast sprawling eyesore with no inhabitants any more and no way someone else can go in and claim the area.

I too want to see this game make it.

• DominuzDominuz Member Posts: 38
    Seriously why chose to play a game like wurm in the first place:)
  • JarydJaryd Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by Dominuz

Seriously why chose to play a game like wurm in the first place:)

Why?  That is a good question.  Why did man migrate? 

This is not a Quest game. This is not a game of endless NPC bashing just to grow. It is a simulation of real life set back in time. But do not try to compare it to strongly to the actual evolution of man, it is fantasy after all.

The best part of this game, in my own opinion,  is the early months of a new map. There is nothing but a starting point and vast miles of uncharted wilds. No paths, no roads, nothing!  You start out with but a few tools you can carry and set off to explore and try to survive. You start off basically fighting to just sustain yourself with food and water.  When you finally do manage to kill one fo the wildlife you do not find that in some miraculous fashion the beast carried inside of its body a weapon that is 5 times its length!    You find - -**GASP**  - - Blood 'n' Guts !  Though I totally disagree with the Devs on this point, thats is all you will get. They decided you need a special knife to be able to get meat off the carcass.  Sorry Dev's but by age 12, I could gut, skin and carve up a rabbit with an old 110 Buck knife and a hatchet.

After hours of exploring ( I do mean hours. In one map I spent 5 hours roaming generally  in the same direction and never seen another soul for months until I lead a party to that location)   exploring  and more exploring it is time to look for a place to settle.  Do you want a simple hunting hut? Or do you hope to one day have a city?  Either way  the availabilty of clay is your main concern.  With the availabilty of Iron ore almost tied in importance. As well as Location! Location! Location!  Iron so you can make yourself items like better tools, weapons, nails!

Now you can actually take your axe and shovel  and reform the landscape.  Clear the area  you want of trees. Dig here, dump there, and level the land. Your end results  are only  governed by your vision and the amount of effort you are willing to put into it. Search the ground for seeds and such and plant a little farm. Take your felled trees and make your home.  The possibilities are open.

You can do this all solo. But it ups the degree of difficulty. A few friends working in cooperation makes it much easier. There are many skills and no one person can master them all. But a good group of people working together to support one and all can do wonders.

That is the reason to play a game LIKE Wurm ! That is the basis of this game that I love so much.

The actual game of Wurm has many bugs and is designed for people who can afford the biggest amounts of time dedicated to playing. if you are a casual gamer who can maybe give 30 minutes an hour a couple days a week and  5-6 hours on weekends you will get nowhere fast to the hardcore grinders who put in 4-5 hours every day and spend  90% of thier weekend endlessly right clicking. The difference between the two types of players is immensely vaster than in any  other type of game because of the excrusiantingly slow skill gain, the madeningly overusage of failure, and the death penalty skill loss that can wipe out hours of your play time.

• kurisukurisu Member Posts: 15

Im happy the map reset. The stats resetting wasn't so great. I wish they would *lose* this map. Accomplishments are great and all, but a fresh start is nice as well.