Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of trying EVE...questions

panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

Guys i'm thinking of trying EVE but have a few questions...

On the EVE webby...it says dl EVE with 30 days, 19-95 for the client (cant remember if that is pounds or dollars) Do i have to enter credit card details when i dl it ??

Is there a problem with patching the game?? I have read somewhere either the autopatcher doesn't work or bugged?? I prefer autopatchers when i log on being a computer noob :)

Any advice on installing, paying or patching the game ...or even starting advice on race etc. is appreciated :)

ta :)

Pan

Pan

Comments

• SchaniSchani Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by panache

Guys i'm thinking of trying EVE but have a few questions...

On the EVE webby...it says dl EVE with 30 days, 19-95 for the client (cant remember if that is pounds or dollars) Do i have to enter credit card details when i dl it ??

You do not have to enter credit-card data when downloading the client.
    When you pay $19.95 (USD) you aquire an account (one month time included)

Is there a problem with patching the game?? I have read somewhere either the autopatcher doesn't work or bugged?? I prefer autopatchers when i log on being a computer noob :)

There was a problem with the autopatcher a while back but I have not had any problems patching the game last 8 or so patches.
    The autopatch-feature works exellent, and ensures you have the latest versionat all times.

Any advice on installing, paying or patching the game ...or even starting advice on race etc. is appreciated :)

I'd definately recommend you go to http://www.eve-i.com and try their "starter tool".
    EVE-I is by a wide margin the most widely used non-official EVE community site, only the Forums on the official EVE website are more popular (EVE official website - http://www.eve-online.com)

I would recomend you give the game a spin, but as with all games of this type you get from it what you put in. The game is extreemely complex, and if you're not guided by a veteran it's easy to loose your patience as the game has one of the steepest learning curves I've ever seen.

• 51505150 Member UncommonPosts: 222

Pan since your in the UK you might be interested to know that in Game (you know the computer game shop) Eve is currently £5 (if you have the reward card)

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

Originally posted by 5150

Pan since your in the UK you might be interested to know that in Game (you know the computer game shop) Eve is currently £5 (if you have the reward card)

Lol mate....just got a 5 quid copy today image I'm off on my hol's saturday so may install it after i return all bronzed and golden (as if) A mate of mine in SWG has an EVE account and when he gets bored of SWG thinks of returning to EVE. It would be easier i suppose if i knew what the heck i'm supposed to be doing...just have to pluck up courage to try it image

I may see you in a galaxy far, far away soon.....but just not in SWG space image

Pan

Pan

• ZsterZster Member Posts: 21

The 2 previous posters said mainly what I would have. I just wanted to add in my opinion: Caldari race is good for fighting ships; Gallente race is good for mining ships. Due to my limited experience with the game, my advice above is good for a starting player. If I were to start over I would choose those 2 races based upon my goals of being a Bounty Hunter or PvPer or a Miner.

Of course there are many different things you could do in EVE besides fight or mine. As my experience with the game progresses I hope to make a newbie guide for those interested in starting the game or deciding if EVE is even for them. I searched www.eve-online.com forums for answers for hours, but you usually see veterans answering tough questions. The newbie info you look for is either so basic you could have learned it on your own or the answer is beyond your grasp until you play for a few months.

I like to do agent missions- which usually entail bringing items from one place to another with a reward or no reward (except player increased favor with that agent and corp) or taking out some computer generated Pirates to protect an area. I'm sure agent missions are more involved than this, but I need more time to see. I also like to Mine. You can sell the ore directly in a station or you could refine it into minerals and sell that way. The game can become very complicated on whether to sell the ore straight or refine to minerals to make the most ISK. Along these 2 tasks I like to kill computer generated Pirates, also called NPC Pirates (rats). If you try to fight player Pirates (peeps looking to take your stuff or blow up your ship) make sure they fire first because the police system will come after you in high security areas (this can become complex also, more knowledge to come =) )

I will say at times while trying to different things such as mining, agent missions, Rat hunting, or errands for a corporation you may join, that travelling through space to reach point A to point B can be very boring. I try to mix missions in between missions or kill some NPC rats along the way. Also try watching TV or playing the game in window mode so you can web search.

EVE is very complex. To try and write something short about it wouldn't do it justice. I gave you some small heads up to hopefully help you decide whether you'll like EVE. =)

---------------------------------------------
    Visit me at http://cheerz.low-ping.com/main.asp =)