Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curt Schilling developing an MMO???

GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Monster_Games

novermber 2007 interview

www.allakhazam.com/story.html

Curt Schilling: We are just past our one year anniversary and things are going fantastic. Being able to watch this game, this world, these iconic characters R.A. has created, come to life, has been beyond incredible. We have put together a core group of people who have all been in on the production of previous MMO’s from EQ to EQ2 to WoW to Final Fantasy and many more. We recently hired one of the lead concept men from LotR. We are preparing to announce the hire of our CTO as well, and with each and every hire we legitimize ourselves more and more within the gaming community.

I am amazed at the increasing number of parallels between the gaming space, the MMO space in particular, and the movie industry. For example our premier title has a budget over 60 million dollars.

That’s similar to a Hollywood movie these days. But one thing I have always believed was that if you were doing something you did it to the very best of you and your team's capabilities. In this regard and this industry that means spending money to mitigate risk. You mitigate risk, in our position, with people. Hiring the perfect people is the most vital task to accomplish right now and we’ve done that to this point.

• go4brokego4broke Member Posts: 180

Could be interesting I wonder what the Setting/Premises for this game will be.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

I would guess it will be along the lines of EQ-EQ2 Schilling is a huge fan of EQ and has been playing for years.

• KvotheKvothe Member Posts: 41

Sounds very promising.  It is an encouraging thought that someone with a big wallet and a passion for MMOs is making his own.  Also, the fact that R.A. Salvatore and Todd McFarland is onboard, makes me very curious.

He could hire Roger Clemens to manage his servers.....I hear he knows alot about enhancing performance.

• candygirl6candygirl6 Member Posts: 412
    Originally posted by Nadia

We have put together a core group of people who have all been in on the production of previous MMO’s from EQ to EQ2

No thanks.

A person that has no experience with the business side of MMO's or has ever run a company deciding to make an MMO. Thinking if they have $ or name they can make a game.

Where have I read this before?

Oh right, Vanguard.

Fail.

Originally posted by candygirl6

We have put together a core group of people who have all been in on the production of previous MMO’s from EQ to EQ2

No thanks.

A person that has no experience with the business side of MMO's or has ever run a company deciding to make an MMO. Thinking if they have $ or name they can make a game.

Oh right, Vanguard.

Fail.

Vanguard?  Who was the millionare that developed this?  Brad McQuaid had alot of experience developing MMOs......ever heard of Everquest?

I myself think the opposite.  You can always hire developers and artists, but you can't buy the passion.  I think it will be a success, because Kurt's motivation to making this game is not that of SOE or Blizzard....he's doing it because he loves MMOs, not for the money.

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

This should prove to be an interesting development process. I am not sure what to expect at all, really.

It would be neat if the game succeeded and more people with big wallets and a passion for games took this as a cue to also enter the MMORPG development world. We can always do with more competition and thus more innovation.

My hat is off to Curt for being brave enough to follow his passion, truly.

Originally posted by Kvothe

No thanks.

Oh right, Vanguard.

Fail.

Vanguard?  Who was the millionare that developed this?  Brad McQuaid had alot of experience developing MMOs......ever heard of Everquest?

I myself think the opposite.  You can always hire developers and artists, but you can't buy the passion. 

Yes, it showed on the amount of $ this guy was able to waste. Yes the passion, or was it vision? Sounds awfully familiar.

Sorry if I'm pretty sceptical when some random baseball guy with money decides to make an MMO.

*yawn*

• NeptusNeptus Member UncommonPosts: 988

Originally posted by Nadia We have put together a core group of people who have all been in on the production of previous MMO’s from EQ to EQ2

No thanks.
    A person that has no experience with the business side of MMO's or has ever run a company deciding to make an MMO. Thinking if they have $ or name they can make a game.
    Oh right, Vanguard.
    Fail.

Vanguard? Who was the millionare that developed this? Brad McQuaid had alot of experience developing MMOs......ever heard of Everquest?

I myself think the opposite. You can always hire developers and artists, but you can't buy the passion. I think it will be a success, because Kurt's motivation to making this game is not that of SOE or Blizzard....he's doing it because he loves MMOs, not for the money.

True,
    I like it when people who love the games make the games because they know what people want.
    Instead of all these new jokers coming out of nowhere using the same MMO Template that looks and feels like you're playing Silk Road or Knight Online.

Neptus - FFXI - Pandemonium
    Neptus - WoW - Detheroc

No thanks.

Oh right, Vanguard.

Fail.

I myself think the opposite.  You can always hire developers and artists, but you can't buy the passion. 

Yes, it showed on the amount of $ this guy was able to waste. Yes the passion, or was it vision? Sounds awfully familiar.

Sorry if I'm pretty sceptical when some random baseball guy with money decides to make an MMO.

*yawn*

Before your too quick to judge, you might want to check out www.38studios.com

It sounds like he has put together a pretty impressive team.

For Shilling this is an investment with others involved also .. hes trying to make money at something he finds intresting and has passion for .. its not like hes writing code for the game .. They have hired pros for this...

Not like hes gonna get some codeslinger  to pitch in the WS because he loves baseball..

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Cause if there's one thing the genre needs, it's a game making a name for itself on the career of a minor celebrity.

Seriously, I had no idea who Curt Schilling was and had to actually go look him up for this post. Sure he likes MMOs and that's great, but how is that supposed to make him a good developer?

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

Ohh FFS i could care less if he makes a game or not dont believe i have to try and defend this .. Hes backing an MMO its not unusual this day and age its Huge market with a lot of potential .... HEs BACKING AN MMO < GET IT Holy^#$^

• RamsieRamsie Member UncommonPosts: 51

Originally posted by Blurr

Cause if there's one thing the genre needs, it's a game making a name for itself on the career of a minor celebrity.
    Seriously, I had no idea who Curt Schilling was and had to actually go look him up for this post. Sure he likes MMOs and that's great, but how is that supposed to make him a good developer?
    I dont think anyone has claimed hes a good developer at all. I think what he is able to do is self finance, use his fame for additional attention to his company, as well as he has proven the ability to draw talent to his company.

I do not know the man nor work with him. If he walks around acting as if he knows it all, then I am sure we will see it in the result. However, looking at who has called in to work at 38, I would say he is not that type of owner, and delegates to those who know who to do the job.

I wish him and 38 all the best

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

Originally posted by Scorchien

I would guess it will be along the lines of EQ-EQ2 Schilling is a huge fan of EQ and has been playing for years.

cough what game did schilling leave eq for cough cough

• kano71kano71 Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by Blurr

CURT SCHILLING minor celebrity lol.... ok maybe if if you if you never watched sports... or maybe if you live outside the us... but millions of  baseball fan's  knows who schilling is... so if being known by millions of folks makes you a minor celeb  guess your right.. prolly a million or so japanese baseball fans  who know of schilling too

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Am I the only one who would rather have a gamer overseeing the project than a developer?

Developer: "Oh my god, this feature is complex and nifty.  It looks really good on this chart, and it sounds pretty cool.  Its cutting edge technology, I don't think anyone has done it before, it sounds like an awesome feature."

Gamer: "I don't think we've ever seen this before because I'm pretty sure its no fun at all.  Screw that."

Developer: "I hear people like quests.  Lets add lots of quests!"

Gamer: "Half of these are just 'kill mobs.'  Up the Mob XP, and be done with it.  Now go spend twice the time on half the quests.  People who want to just grind for 20 minutes will get more reward, and people who enjoy quests will have more fun with the indepth storylines."

It could be good.

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Sounds like somone jumping on the WoW bandwagon after Blizzard has successfully showed that a MMORPG can be appeal to mainstream gamers.

It will be interesting to see if they hired people who know enough to recognize the MMORPG game mechanics that drove away gamers for a decade. 

On the other hand, hiring those other people who were NOT involved in the MMORPG industry might be exactly what is needed to bury those tedious, timesink game mechanics.   Assuming they can overrule the ex-EQ hardcore types.   Otherwise you'll only have lots of creative people trying to fit their ideas into lousy game mechanics.  And that's a multi-million dollar disaster waiting to happen.

They do have an advantage with other post-WoW games are coming out.  They'll be able to look at them (and so far we've only had failures or mediocre releases) and if they're smart they'll learn something from them.  

More competition in the industry is a good thing, but so far nobody has come close to competing with Blizzard.   Let's see if these people can do it. 

• Enforcer71Enforcer71 Member UncommonPosts: 780

Was definately a very interesting read. Will be interesting to see what comes out of it. No matter what I wish him the best and being a gamer himself hopefully we will see something new.

Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there,
    80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters.
    Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior,
    and he will bring the others home.
    -Heraclitus 500BC

"What else did Curt Schilling reveal about his upcoming game? Not a whole lot. He's banking heavily on his own understanding of games, which is considerable, and his two creative partners -- best-selling fantasy book author R.A. Salvatore and iconoclast comic book and action figure creator Todd MacFarlane -- to create a blockbuster"

A baseball player, a comic book writer and an action figure creator making an MMO. Really, that's all we need, and people wonder why MMO's suck lately.

• JackDonkeyJackDonkey Member Posts: 383

i think this game has the most potential as far as story line and content goes since there is 1 to 4 people that are the final say on stuff, and 3 of those 4 are about making the game fun and not "the next wow".  Warhammer is an ip, Conan is an ip, Bioware may be an ip if it's star wars (I hope it's not), so they have to answer to the holders of the ip where for the 38 studios game, Salvatore is making the ip.

However game mechanics wise I bet they will be rather sparton toolbar clicking bare bones minimum macro usage game, which will be a deal breaker for me, I hope they have the .xml and .lua (or equivilants) so they can compete with WoW in that regard cause wow really spoiled me as far macro making goes, and I learned so much programming that I was able to make stuff at work like a rails database and some extensive cad macros, I got a $500 bonus once for this huge order that I was able to pump through in record time since I just macro'd it up, eve online never helped me get a $500 bonus and neither did any other game that had zero interface customization.  too bad they broke my one button mashers though game is so much less fun now.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    if I were to kill a titan tomorrow and no CCP employees showed up to say grats I would petition it.
    Waiting for: the next MMO that lets me make this macro
    if hp < 30 then CastSpell("heal") SpellTargetUnit("player") else CastSpell("smite") end

• KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663

No thanks.

Oh right, Vanguard.

Fail.

*yawn*

Before your too quick to judge, you might want to check out www.38studios.com

It sounds like he has put together a pretty impressive team.

Yeah like Todd MacFarlane and R.A. Salvatore. Those two guys are enough to sell me just to see what it's like.

• U-TurnU-Turn Member UncommonPosts: 164

Old news.  Schilling is a big time Gamer.  He posts all the time over on that board with those freaks.  FOH where that McQuaid story came from.

• KyntorKyntor Member Posts: 280

Originally posted by Sharajat

Am I the only one who would rather have a gamer overseeing the project than a developer?
    Developer: "Oh my god, this feature is complex and nifty.  It looks really good on this chart, and it sounds pretty cool.  Its cutting edge technology, I don't think anyone has done it before, it sounds like an awesome feature."
    Gamer: "I don't think we've ever seen this before because I'm pretty sure its no fun at all.  Screw that."

Developer: "I hear people like quests.  Lets add lots of quests!"
    Gamer: "Half of these are just 'kill mobs.'  Up the Mob XP, and be done with it.  Now go spend twice the time on half the quests.  People who want to just grind for 20 minutes will get more reward, and people who enjoy quests will have more fun with the indepth storylines."

It could be good.
    No, you are not the only one.  I agree with you.  I think it is about time that the developers of a MMORPG have a little diversity.  When every developer is a computer programmer you have a tendency to get new content that is the easiest to program.  I have no problem with a long-time and highly competative gamer (Schilling) and two fantasy authors (Salvatore and McFarlain) having creative control over a MMORPG.  It should be very interesting.

"Those who dislike things based only on the fact that they are popular are just as shallow and superficial as those who only like them for the same reason."

Originally posted by U-Turn

Old news.  Schilling is a big time Gamer.  He posts all the time over on that board with those freaks.  FOH where that McQuaid story came from.

Oh wow

Why am I not surprised. It sounds like a really professional company. I mean a baseball player and an action figure maker. /sarcasm

^_^