Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five-Star Rating System

SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

I have been a member here since 2003 and have posted plenty.  Yet, I cannot often maintain a "five-star" rating -- which, btw, I do think I deserve.

Your "star system" penalizes you for not posting regularly by draining away "points."  This rewards continual spam-posting as the way to maintain this rating.  I don't believe that is a good idea. 

Would you please consider some ALTERNATE type of "star rating" system by which "Time as a Member" and/or "Post Count" are considered in the rating.

Thanks.

Additional note:

In the Profile section, there is the option to select Titles.  However, it says "all others are awarded titles."

How about you expand the rating system so you can select "Time as a Member" (rating titles) and "Post Count" (rating titles) as options.

~ Ancient Membership ~

Comments

• creative404creative404 Member Posts: 72

Personally I do not even look at the start rating when I am consuming MMOPRG info. If I am going to trust someones opinion I look at how many post the person has and the info they provide. I do not believe forums are about who has the best ratings. They should have something like what overclock.net has. It is a reputation system that the users use. If someone helps you...you should give them a rep point. Therefore, it is up to the users who are the best people at the forums.

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by creative404

Personally I do not even look at the start rating when I am consuming MMOPRG info. If I am going to trust someones opinion I look at how many post the person has and the info they provide. I do not believe forums are about who has the best ratings. They should have something like what overclock.net has. It is a reputation system that the users use. If someone helps you...you should give them a rep point. Therefore, it is up to the users who are the best people at the forums.

In general and in spirit I agree with what you are saying.

I believe my point is that I would like to see "alternate" rating systems/titles added as options.  I note that in the Profile section, there is a drop-down list where your current title is -- and I don't believe anyone has any other "awarded" titles to choose from (none that I recall seeing).

So, my idea is that since site members are "rated" by certain performance factors on almost all forum websites including this site, then I believe it warrants some expansion of the rating system that is not a simple how-often-you-post system.

Since the Profile section already is primed for additional ratings titles, perhaps now would be a good time to add and expand the rating system.

Thanks for your input.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• creative404creative404 Member Posts: 72

Ok....I see what you are saying. That would be really nice to have more titles. An example, you have been a member since 03, you could be named "Eldest Member" or something like that. I agree with you that would be a nice way to stand out from the crowd.

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

We're looking into adding veteran titles, but this would be seperate from the star system.

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com