Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

gaymers

Comments

• xXSeraphielXxXSeraphielX Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by Aristea

Originally posted by Delovely

Thats because my idea is correct....too much idiots around who SHOULD keep to themselves instead of bashing or befouling someone else
    If I have a problem with black people, a problem with straight people or with women...do you think I am going to invade their thread and say they suck , or if I know /hear people in a game say "OMG...go die you ****"
    No, I leave them be

You have a problem though.

Actually in this situation would the problem not be yours? It is not another person responsibility to ensure that you are ok with them. It is your responsibility to let them know when you are uncomfortable. And Generally politely is the good way.

You see, I don't mind that you are gay, as long as you aren't gay in my face. The issue with MMO's, is that often, between the retard kiddo's and the emo crybabies, being gay in barrens chat, might actually be in my face. Doing it over Ventrilo is even worse.

I'm not saying you can't be gay, but I don't see black people going out of their ways to make contact with other black people either. The only ones that still do that are the Germans and the French...

Actually almost every culture tries to find like minded people to team up with. I've seen German, French, Spanish, etc guilds formed based on language and so on. And while I cannot say that a black person might go out of their way to find a guild of black people it is not quite the same thing. Specialized guilds are generally based on language, religious beliefs, and in this case sexual preference. The reason for this is simply because it is nice to be able to relate with the people you game with. These are friendships you are building.

So just be yourself and don't "turn gay" on ventrilo and you'll be fine everywhere..if you want to have voip sex with a gay guy, I dó recommend you to keep it outside my visual and hearing.

"Turn Gay?", is this like some gay switch? I am fairly certain that this has nothing to do with the OP "Wanting to have VoIP sex with a gay guy" give me a break. I see that you made some attempt to remain mature through this.... but this last part just killed it. Perhaps you need to stop being so phobic, and realise that people have other beliefs/preferences than you. and that you are not suddenly going to catch "gay".

I had to post in reply to this. Now for the record I am not gay, however I have many friends who are and family members. And it is this type of attitude that I have seen in people that has put them in the hospital before....... So, yes the OP is trying to find a guild of like minded people.... The purpose of this is so that he does not need to be in a guild with people like Aristea.... Hell more often than not I'de rather be in GLBT guild than most guilds, they are more tolerant, friendly, and generally open minded good people.

xXSeraphielXx

• MajorBiggsMajorBiggs Member UncommonPosts: 709

From what I remember there were quite a few gay/lesbian guilds in WoW. There's also Second Life. I dunno if any of the older games has many gay crowds but I think the newer one's do. Like city of heroes/villains.

Might even find some in Matrix Online.

• AristeaAristea Member Posts: 181

Originally posted by xXSeraphielX

Thats because my idea is correct....too much idiots around who SHOULD keep to themselves instead of bashing or befouling someone else
    If I have a problem with black people, a problem with straight people or with women...do you think I am going to invade their thread and say they suck , or if I know /hear people in a game say "OMG...go die you ****"
    No, I leave them be

Actually in this situation would the problem not be yours? It is not another person responsibility to ensure that you are ok with them. It is your responsibility to let them know when you are uncomfortable. And Generally politely is the good way.

You see, I don't mind that you are gay, as long as you aren't gay in my face. The issue with MMO's, is that often, between the retard kiddo's and the emo crybabies, being gay in barrens chat, might actually be in my face. Doing it over Ventrilo is even worse.

I'm not saying you can't be gay, but I don't see black people going out of their ways to make contact with other black people either. The only ones that still do that are the Germans and the French...

Actually almost every culture tries to find like minded people to team up with. I've seen German, French, Spanish, etc guilds formed based on language and so on. And while I cannot say that a black person might go out of their way to find a guild of black people it is not quite the same thing. Specialized guilds are generally based on language, religious beliefs, and in this case sexual preference. The reason for this is simply because it is nice to be able to relate with the people you game with. These are friendships you are building.

So just be yourself and don't "turn gay" on ventrilo and you'll be fine everywhere..if you want to have voip sex with a gay guy, I dó recommend you to keep it outside my visual and hearing.

"Turn Gay?", is this like some gay switch? I am fairly certain that this has nothing to do with the OP "Wanting to have VoIP sex with a gay guy" give me a break. I see that you made some attempt to remain mature through this.... but this last part just killed it. Perhaps you need to stop being so phobic, and realise that people have other beliefs/preferences than you. and that you are not suddenly going to catch "gay".

I had to post in reply to this. Now for the record I am not gay, however I have many friends who are and family members. And it is this type of attitude that I have seen in people that has put them in the hospital before....... So, yes the OP is trying to find a guild of like minded people.... The purpose of this is so that he does not need to be in a guild with people like Aristea.... Hell more often than not I'de rather be in GLBT guild than most guilds, they are more tolerant, friendly, and generally open minded good people.

xXSeraphielXx

You misunderstood my point. I've had 2 gay friends and I still have a friend who might turn out to be gay, judging by his voice :P So basically I'm a gay magnet, but we have agreements about that. Don't "turn gay"on me. Which means, don't go wobble the hands , don't fling arms wildly in the air and say something that sounds so utterly gay I just HAVE to slap my hand in front of my eyes.

There's a difference between being gay and showing off that you are a gay gay guy. I don't like the latter. The others can sit next to me and we can share soda...or beer.

Besides, I'm Dutch, like thé gay country of the world -_-

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

Originally posted by natuxatu

Is there any out there and if so which mmos do you play. I would like to make some new friends but finding gay friends can be hard enough but once that are also into mmos or other games seems to be even more difficult so I thought I'd try here... hopefully the thread can be taken serious, but all comments are welcome.
    I imagine it can be hard to find rl friends into mmos because chances are they are not out and about at bars and clubs but rather indoors in front of their computer screen... it's kinda a double edged sword as they say.

Actually, Nat it's not so hard to find friends.  Now, for their sexual preference, that's another thing.  It's a very personal issue, so I would say to you, just start with friends.  Find a friendly open minded helpful guild.  Quest daily, or as much as possible with those within the guild.

I have made some very close ties in the four years and three mmo's I have played.  I have e-mails, pictures, and even telephone numbers of some of my closest questing buddies. I have really enjoyed making these new friendships.  Many are from all around the world and a few are actually within my home state of Texas.

I think you will be happy once you begin to create these friendship bonds.  remember, it doesn't happen over night, so hang in there and keep on partying with your adventuring buds.

Good luck! 

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• xXSeraphielXxXSeraphielX Member Posts: 107

xXSeraphielXx

You misunderstood my point. I've had 2 gay friends and I still have a friend who might turn out to be gay, judging by his voice :P So basically I'm a gay magnet, but we have agreements about that. Don't "turn gay"on me. Which means, don't go wobble the hands , don't fling arms wildly in the air and say something that sounds so utterly gay I just HAVE to slap my hand in front of my eyes.

There's a difference between being gay and showing off that you are a gay gay guy. I don't like the latter. The others can sit next to me and we can share soda...or beer.

Well, I appologize for going of on a rant about that, I understand what you are saying. there is a difference between being gay and acting like a flaming homosexual. Hell my gay friend slapped a guy once for being a flamer. his exact words "You're gay, not a F***ing tard" I nearly fell outta my seat laughing. but alas I am going off topic.  I have heard of a few guilds in wow that were GBL, though I have also heard that some were disbanded by blizzard..... discrimination or some such nonsense

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

No, I leave them be

xXSeraphielXx

do you hold yourself to the same standards? Do you "go hetero" in front of people?  Do you stare at a girls boobs or ass and say stuff like "Damn, id like to hit that." or talk about  other  stereotypical hetero stuff while grabbing your crotch, chewing tabacco and shooting your firearms?

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

No, I leave them be

xXSeraphielXx

You're making the OP's point.  Hes looking for a group of like minded people where he can be himself without the worries of someone getting offended because theyre straight.

your comments are exactly the reason people like this feel the need to isolate themselves.  Your basically asking people to not be themselves in your presence because you find it offensive.  The OP is basically asking for a community where he can be himself (or being gay as you put it) without offending people such as yourself.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Thanks a lot of what you guys said made sense (and im surprised it stayed pretty civil for four page.) I guess a friend in general is where to start and so i digress. :)

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Hello Natuxatu,

I am a gay gamer, and was leader of a GLBT guild for over a year in EQ2. I know there are quite a few GLBT guild in several games. I am a member in one in Vanguard atm (Seradon server) and I know there are at least 3 big GLBT guilds for EQ2 on Crushbone. I know City of Heroes has a strong GLBT community.

I know using the word "gay" as term of "stupid" has become fashion, but thats not so many, and mostly a few, vocal but uneducated aggro kids. Generally, especially on this forum, I found most people very acceptng and civil.

I understand well, that if you are surrounded by the straight world all day you just want a niche at the end of the day where you can be yourself and no one wonders when you tell about your boyfriend. Its just a natural desire to seek like minded people, and many MMOs have very active GLBT guilds. I heard US-WOW has one too, but since I am from Europe and Blizzard shuts us out (meh) I dont know details.

There is a gay gamer website here:

gaygamer.net/forum/index.php

If you have any questions about certain games or guilds, pls feel free to PM me. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• dA_fReAKdA_fReAK Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by dA_fReAK

playing a game with gay people would make me feel uncomfortable, no offence... awkwarrrrddddd..
    Lol, I think you would be quite surprised how many people you were/are surrounded with in RL and games you felt quite alright with ARE gay. We are for good and bad just like everyone else, in real. I think you would be quite dissapointed to see how "normal" the life of gay people is. ;)

I mean I played my share of CS and PVP, and if you think I wouldnt frag you just as evil as any straight , yer mistaken, hrhr.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Elikal

playing a game with gay people would make me feel uncomfortable, no offence... awkwarrrrddddd..
    Lol, I think you would be quite surprised how many people you were/are surrounded with in RL and games you felt quite alright with ARE gay. We are for good and bad just like everyone else, in real. I think you would be quite dissapointed to see how "normal" the life of gay people is. ;)

I mean I played my share of CS and PVP, and if you think I wouldnt frag you just as evil as any straight , yer mistaken, hrhr.

ah im sorry that was an offensive post...

nvm the rest

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Meaning "I'm so macho, I can't be around gay people", or "I have those tendencies, I wouldn't like to be tempted" ?

Originally posted by altairzq

Meaning "I'm so macho, I can't be around gay people", or "I have those tendencies, I wouldn't like to be tempted" ?

actually more like i get reminded of michael jackson, i wouldn't say im macho or anything, but im not just any nerd, i work out an hour everyday.

whats ur point?

Originally posted by Elikal

ah im sorry that was an offensive post...

nvm the rest

I didnt take it as a real offense. ;)

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

using the "repressed gay tendencies" phrase is so old and tired; you might as well have thrown in a "tea bag" joke.

Actually, I think people use the "repressed gay tendencies" excuse because (1) they, themselves have those tendencies or (2) they are openly gay and secretly feel guilty about it or resent their marginal acceptance in modern society or (3) they are too stoopid to comprise an original reply.

I'm #3, myself.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Originally posted by Arclan

using the "repressed gay tendencies" phrase is so old and tired; you might as well have thrown in a "tea bag" joke.
    Actually, I think people use the "repressed gay tendencies" excuse because (1) they, themselves have those tendencies or (2) they are openly gay and secretly feel guilty about it or resent their marginal acceptance in modern society or (3) they are too stoopid to comprise an original reply.
    I'm #3, myself.

lol well said

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898

Hmm, Good topic.  I am hoping to get in here now in case someone one starts flaming and the mods lock it.  My opinion on gay gamer is that... I don't care.  But wait, That has to be qualified.  I mean I REALLY don't care.  It is very common for people to say that they don't care about something when in reality they really do.  It tends to be the same type of people that say something like "I'm not a homophobe, I have a gay friend!"  It is the same types of people that say they aren't racist.  Then their daughter comes home with a black boyfriend and then all of a sudden it starts to bother them.

Change is slow.  People will not come to terms with the idea of openly gay anythings until they have had to deal with it for a while.  I will say this however, gay gamers aren't doing themselves any favors on the acceptance front with the while GLBT guild thing.  This is why.

How do you expect to be accepted into main stream "gaming society" when you do something like joining a guild that is for a specific group of people?  I already know the agruement that is coming next so let me go ahead and cut it off now.  I understand that most GLBT arent GLBT ONLY, they are GLBT friendly.  Guess what.  It doesn't matter.  When you advertise your guild as being GLBT then people are going to assume its for GLBT people.  For example,  If I open a bar and call it White Guys Place" even thought myself or anyone else that goes to the bar has any issue with minorities, how many black people do you think are even going to think about going there?

There is a really simple solution to this problem.  Don't start GLBT guilds, start TOLERANT ones. I play a lot of BF2142 and its very common when joining a server that the server msg will be something like "We kick for racist, sexist and homophobic remarks.  RESPECT YOUR FELLOW GAMERS"

This would save gay gamers a LOT of trouble in the long run and other gamers wouldn't look at them like they are quite so snobby.

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by erandur

Hah ^^ Original topic :D However I'm afraid I'm not gay, and I didn't exactly asked around a lot in Guild Wars. But most players are underage... so I'm afraid that won't 'satisfy' your needs. :)
    Edit: This suggestion might be quite obvious, but I suppose there is a gay bar near where you live? I think you'll have a higher chance finding gays there, than here.

Actualy most players are over 25.

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

Originally posted by altairzq

actually more like i get reminded of michael jackson, i wouldn't say im macho or anything, but im not just any nerd, i work out an hour everyday.

whats ur point?

You've probably gamed with tons of Gay or Even Bi sexual gamers and didn't even know it...guess you just have to feel awkward all the time then Freak .... there's no set mold for how people gay or straight sound, talk, or act.   I've known guys that were so gay you could tell by just looking at how they moved their hands and I've known guys that were gay but unless you asked him about his love life you'd never know.   Same for girls.    

BTW Freak if you feel so awkward around gay gamers why are you even on this thread?  Its populated by .. oh my god mostly gay people.  

Damn this thread is moving fast *notices several posts after the one she was quoting* lol

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I get a bit worried when i read this thread...in the Bible....

Joking : )

Anyway, last week i did read a thread about female gamers. And that thread was flamed senseless by "female gamer haters" people.

So: normal male geek gamers have less problem with other male gay players then the have with other female players??

How cool is that? We truly live in the furure now : )

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

Actually daarco  female and male players were BOTH flaming the post because its obvious feminist tripe that really has little place in MMOs where everyone's equal regardless of sexuality.

And just for the reference it was girls that the thread shut down

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Originally posted by elvenangel

Actually daarco  female and male players were BOTH flaming the post because its obvious feminist tripe that really has little place in MMOs where everyone's equal regardless of sexuality.

I still think its funny all flamed the chicks.  Was it only me that screamed.......bring the women here?

And why flame feminists? We need more of those..he he.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by elvenangel

Well naturally both sexes are equal until it's time to pick up the check    oh man I went there!

Joking though..

I think it would be somewhat tough though, I mean you can't necessarily get into a game and spam the chats looking for other gay. .. playmates... no pun intended I assure you.   Not that I would be bothered about it being a gay thing per se, but moreso that you're limiting the playerbase that you can play with.

Like if I were to say I only wanted to play with female gamers and would sit in a chat spammin all day, I probably would be flamed quite a bit.

So, yes there are gaymers out there but how would one go about finding them indeed? Thus why I feel like one should keep sexual orientations to themselves until they feel comfortable with their group.

Originally posted by Rollotamasi

Hmm, Good topic.  I am hoping to get in here now in case someone one starts flaming and the mods lock it.  My opinion on gay gamer is that... I don't care.  But wait, That has to be qualified.  I mean I REALLY don't care.  It is very common for people to say that they don't care about something when in reality they really do.  It tends to be the same type of people that say something like "I'm not a homophobe, I have a gay friend!"  It is the same types of people that say they aren't racist.  Then their daughter comes home with a black boyfriend and then all of a sudden it starts to bother them.
    Change is slow.  People will not come to terms with the idea of openly gay anythings until they have had to deal with it for a while.  I will say this however, gay gamers aren't doing themselves any favors on the acceptance front with the while GLBT guild thing.  This is why.
    How do you expect to be accepted into main stream "gaming society" when you do something like joining a guild that is for a specific group of people?  I already know the agruement that is coming next so let me go ahead and cut it off now.  I understand that most GLBT arent GLBT ONLY, they are GLBT friendly.  Guess what.  It doesn't matter.  When you advertise your guild as being GLBT then people are going to assume its for GLBT people.  For example,  If I open a bar and call it White Guys Place" even thought myself or anyone else that goes to the bar has any issue with minorities, how many black people do you think are even going to think about going there?
    There is a really simple solution to this problem.  Don't start GLBT guilds, start TOLERANT ones. I play a lot of BF2142 and its very common when joining a server that the server msg will be something like "We kick for racist, sexist and homophobic remarks.  RESPECT YOUR FELLOW GAMERS"

This would gay gamers a LOT of trouble in the long run and other gamers wouldn't look at them like they are quite so snobby.

Being in a gay guild is not so much because we miss tolerance. That never was my No 1 reason to go into a gay guild. But you can talk about gay matters openly. Its like some women sometimes want to go to a club or group only with other women - and I guess the same counts, in a different way, for straight males, who want to be among themselves from time to time as well.

When you are a minority, you just know some topics do offend peeople. I mean, its not that people in a gay guild always talk about mature topics, but you know you can share personal things with similar people. I know for straight people its very hard to imagine how it is when almost everyone in society is NOT like you. No matter how kind or tolerant they are, some times you just want to be among your kind. Its not that we exclude straights. My GLBT guild always had about 10-15% straights, males and females. Often people brought their straight friends, brothers whatever. But they know we can talk open. Sometimes straight males just meet with other guys and make guys talk (god knows about what), and they prefer not to have heir girlfriends/wifes around for a few hours. Thats just how humans function.

So its not being snobby, its very human. If you are straight, you are reaffirmed your lifestyle is ok from day one of your life. Your parents and EVERYONE you meet is straight, 99.9% of all characters in movies, books, novels... all assures your of your role, the way you are. Everyone expects you to be straight, even when they dont know you at all. When you are gay, you always have to clarify. You have no rolemodels whatsoever, and you NEVER know if the next person is tolerant or would like to gas you rather. Often being gay is like walking through a mine-field: you never know when a bomb detonates and the nice old man from the corner really would like to see you shot in real. You just dont know how it is! So while I learned to live with trouble and mostly shrug it off, understand its not a matter of snobism that we want to be among us and those friendly ones who know what club they join once and then.