Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

gaymers

natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Is there any out there and if so which mmos do you play. I would like to make some new friends but finding gay friends can be hard enough but once that are also into mmos or other games seems to be even more difficult so I thought I'd try here... hopefully the thread can be taken serious, but all comments are welcome.

I imagine it can be hard to find rl friends into mmos because chances are they are not out and about at bars and clubs but rather indoors in front of their computer screen... it's kinda a double edged sword as they say.

Comments

• DelovelyDelovely Member Posts: 92

Hi  Natu :)

Ofcourse there are gaymers ( I am not gay but I am queer aswell) playing games, just like thee one you are playing now,  LOTRO, its just that there are seemingly less that there are in the society....think thats because gaymers are foremost gamers and like to talk about the games. And if it happens to be chat about identity and possible boy/girlfriends its sparse since there is just so much bigotry and hatred from gaming communities like in WoW......its really a foul infested mudpool that game when it comes to respect

Give me a PM if you like to stay in contact :)

GReets

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

lols

I like what you did there "gay mers"

lols

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

There is a website for gay gamers.  I don't want to google for it right now, I'm at work.  I'm sure every MMO has a gay friendly guild. I think I've seen a few in CoX. 

• andyjdandyjd Member Posts: 229

I sense this thread will end badly....

Thats because my idea is correct....too much idiots around who SHOULD keep to themselves instead of bashing or befouling someone else

If I have a problem with black people, a problem with straight people or with women...do you think I am going to invade their thread and say they suck , or if I know /hear people in a game say "OMG...go die you ****"

No, I leave them be

• andyjdandyjd Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by Delovely

Thats because my idea is correct....too much idiots around who SHOULD keep to themselves instead of bashing or befouling someone else
    If I have a problem with black people, a problem with straight people or with women...do you think I am going to invade their thread and say they suck , or if I know /hear people in a game say "OMG...go die you ****"
    No, I leave them be

You're quite correct. But you only need to log into WoW for a second to see that theres a awful lot of bigotry which goes on. Most of it is causal, and by kids which don't know better, or are playing behind the safety of the computer screen....

Which is why I suspect this thread won't stay civil for very long...

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

I would say CoX has a pretty decent gay population. I've met a few gay guys in my days of playing. It's been awhile since I played though.

I know they're out there, but the question is, does it really matter whether they are gay, or want other people to KNOW they are gay?  I mean as long as you find people that share your interests, should it matter if they are gay, or straight or anything in between?

No, it shouldnt....games are to play games I think :)

But wouldnt be nice , if say OP, could say over VENT or in a gamechannel "Brb, boyfriend knocking on the door" without being bashed?

JUst simple things like that...

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Agreed, it would be nice. I wouldn't understand why something like that would bother someone in the first place, then again, there are a alot of crazy people out there.

• garbonzogarbonzo Member Posts: 260

Originally posted by maskedweasel

I know they're out there, but the question is, does it really matter whether they are gay, or want other people to KNOW they are gay?  I mean as long as you find people that share your interests, should it matter if they are gay, or straight or anything in between?

Fair point, maskedweasel.  But, as much as MMOs can connect people, they can be pretty dehumanizing as well.  It seems generally frowned upon to reveal your preferences/beliefs outside the context of the game.  For example, we all know what happens when someone voices a political or religious viewpoint in chat...  So basically we're encouraged to "keep it to ourselves."  Well, when you spend many many hours online hanging out with people, at some point you want to share more about yourself.  Otherwise the relationships aren't much deeper than an NPC with well-written AI.

I'm all for hooking people up in games based on other RL common interests.  It just adds depth to the whole experience.  (Leaving a game after a few years and realizing you don't really know any of the guildmates you just spent hundreds of hours with is a pretty empty experience.)

And, the term "gaymer" made me laugh.  Never seen that one.  Excellent.

• SunderSunder Member Posts: 334

Ya know, these are interesting points people bring up.  In another recent thread, someone was posting something in regard to their religious belief.  Did not take more than a few minutes for responses to start pouring in bashing the person for being a believer in God.  Regardless of the OP's position, be it on Religion, Sexual Orientation, or their love for Pie, it is sad to see people so ready to bash and tear other people down.  In the end, regardless of our personal positions we are all people and should at the very least respect one another as such.  Anyway, I digress.  Yeah there are a lot of homosexual and lesbian gamers out there.  I have known many, and enjoy gaming with them as anyone else.  As another poster mentioned, there tends to be a guild/clan/whatever dedicated to gay people in most games.  I am sure a few people can PM you their websites and that should help you locate some people of similar interest and orientation if that is your goal.

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

I would direct you to the "Second Life" game and community which is certainly full of romance minded people of almost every sexual orientation imaginable. ;-) Not only that, but you can even buy and use sex animations (I would bet plenty that there are "gaymer" animations in this world} and you can even buy and show off virtual bodies and um penises etc.

Check it out! 

-  Zaxx

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

Hah ^^ Original topic :D However I'm afraid I'm not gay, and I didn't exactly asked around a lot in Guild Wars. But most players are underage... so I'm afraid that won't 'satisfy' your needs. :)

Edit: This suggestion might be quite obvious, but I suppose there is a gay bar near where you live? I think you'll have a higher chance finding gays there, than here.

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

OP, I hope you find what your lookin for. I just dont understand when it comes to games why it matters what you look like, what your skin color is or what your sexual preferance is. Find a group of people you have fun with, and if it happens to come up that your gay and they decide not to want to play the game with you anymore, its there loss not yours. 2 of my good friends are gay, I am not. I could care less what there sexual preferance is because they are great people first and foremost.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Ahhh, now i get it : )

And i believed it was a  "worst typo ever thread" thing.

• numtininumtini Member Posts: 21

Off the top of my head, there's more GLBT guilds than you can shake a stick at in COX, I think mostly on Pinnacle? There's several in WOW, I was part of Spectrum Rage on Garona who are very nice and have a matching chapter on each side of the server. In LOTRO, Knights of the White Lady on Landroval is very friendly and well organized. EQ2 Mystic Alliance on Antonia Bayle, but it's not very big perhaps because the community is generally mature and tolerant.

The point about saying you're bf/gf is requiring attention for whatever on Vent/guildchat is a good one. One of the big glbt guilds was formed when someone said that without thinking, got up, went back to their PC and found they had been deguilded.

• malachidarkmalachidark Member Posts: 93

No, it shouldnt....games are to play games I think :)
    But wouldnt be nice , if say OP, could say over VENT or in a gamechannel "Brb, boyfriend knocking on the door" without being bashed?
    JUst simple things like that...

That'd be fine, as long as he doesn't say "Brb, boyfriend knocking on backdoor."

Then he might be bashed.

Sorry I couldn't resist. I know there's gay guilds out there, I was in an alliance with one on City of Villains. You probably won't get any to come out and say they are, just because of all the immature people out there. If you find a mature game, like Vanguard for example, where the players aren't idiot 12 year olds, then you could find people who are either gay like you or don't care if you're gay, because you're just a person.

Currently Playing: Tabula Rasa
    Gaming History: EQ, EQ2, SWG, EVE, Anarchy Online, CoX, GW, SRO, Rakion, Ryzom, WoW, Rappelz, Shadowbane, 9Dragons, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, DnD Online, Space Cowboy, LotRO, Vanguard, Fury, Hellgate
    Wanting to Play: WAR, TCoS, Darkfall, Aion

• LucifrankLucifrank Member Posts: 355

Originally posted by erandur

Hah ^^ Original topic :D However I'm afraid I'm not gay, and I didn't exactly asked around a lot in Guild Wars. But most players are underage... so I'm afraid that won't 'satisfy' your needs. :)
    Edit: This suggestion might be quite obvious, but I suppose there is a gay bar near where you live? I think you'll have a higher chance finding gays there, than here.
    I think OP's intent is to meet other like-minded individuals who game--not "cruise" MMOs for romance. GLBT gamers seeking out other folks from their community is really no different than the sites you see around for Christian gamers or gamers who are parents. Sometimes it's just nice to be in touch with other players who know where you're coming from and have a similar lifestlye to you.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

I remember there's an incident in WoW back in 2006 where a GM disbanded and banned the guildmaster of a GLBT* friendly guild (they reason is they are openly recruiting in the public channels for gay members and Blizzard policy prohibits discrimination of any kind and most likely someone reported them for it which prompt Blizzard to action). It caused such an uproar on the official wow forums (with flame war going on for weeks) until Blizzard apologized in the end.

* Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transexual

• SunriderSunrider Member UncommonPosts: 527

When i played WoW on the khadgar server i remember there being a few gay guilds on that server. One of the more prominent ones ended abruptly though... there were rumors that the leaders we're dating and they broke up...

On CoH there were quite a few on the Freedom server i used to game with all the time. They arent one there anymore but i'm sure quite a few still play.

and RF Online... I was a Lt. in a guild that was ran by a gay guy and his best friend who was straight... and the leaders was NOT shy about it lol, but i enjoyed his antics none-the-less.

All in all, you can probably find "gaymers" in any game you go to if you look around enough. I wouldnt suggest you posting something like this on like the WoW official forums tho or anything like that... you'd probably be harassed to no end just because they're dumb bigots who live so deep in the closet its amazing they have the interweb.

"And after blizzard takes over the world, they are gonna gather a bunch of lemmings, sit on their fat asses near a cliff, and watch the little fuzzy bastards suicide dive into the ground below. . . . . all just for their own entertainment."

• KaylessKayless Member UncommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by Sunrider

I wouldnt suggest you posting something like this on like the WoW official forums tho or anything like that... you'd probably be harassed to no end just because they're dumb bigots who live so deep in the closet its amazing they have the interweb.

Definately a no no, and that's putting it mildly

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

TBH mate this is still the year 1960 where gay people are looked down on,it is almost the same as proabation was,i aint gay but i have meant quite a few gay people in game and in real life,The 1st MMO I was in I meant 2 women who were together and they were a great laugh and really nice company and we had a nice guild together but unfortunalty there was too many people that had too much to say so they left,I guess until the haters can open there eyes a bit wider,Your best bet is to google like someone else said,As it seemed to me at least there are still people with a problem....Shame on them

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Originally posted by Kayless

Originally posted by Sunrider

I wouldnt suggest you posting something like this on like the WoW official forums tho or anything like that... you'd probably be harassed to no end just because they're dumb bigots who live so deep in the closet its amazing they have the interweb.

Definately a no no, and that's putting it mildly

To be fair, the WoW forums are full of the biggest mental midgets in the game.

And the game in question is WoW.

Still, its not a fair snapshot of the community.  

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• AristeaAristea Member Posts: 181

No, I leave them be

You have a problem though. You see, I don't mind that you are gay, as long as you aren't gay in my face. The issue with MMO's, is that often, between the retard kiddo's and the emo crybabies, being gay in barrens chat, might actually be in my face. Doing it over Ventrilo is even worse.

I'm not saying you can't be gay, but I don't see black people going out of their ways to make contact with other black people either. The only ones that still do that are the Germans and the French...

So just be yourself and don't "turn gay" on ventrilo and you'll be fine everywhere..if you want to have voip sex with a gay guy, I dó recommend you to keep it outside my visual and hearing.

• dA_fReAKdA_fReAK Member Posts: 384
    Originally posted by slannmage

lols
    I like what you did there "gay mers"

lols

theres a gaymer for you.

"lols! lols!"