Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXI replacement?

TonupTonup Member Posts: 7

I have been searching for somethingto repace FFXI for some time now tried a few games but could not stand them. I saw the previews for this game and am now salivating. The graphics for this game look siimiliar to FFXI, and game play seem to be bearable. I was wondering what other forme FFXI players think or anyone or that matter. As for me I will be anxiously awaiting this games release date. 

FFXI- Disavowed
LOTR-Disavowed

Comments

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488

Although I don't see it as a FFXI replacement, I am also very interested in Aion. Like FFXI, Aion has a "lighter" style, but the graphics look more like an upgraded mix between Guild Wars and Lineage - reasonably due to NCsoft development! I will be especially interested in what NCsoft will do to fully promote this game, which I think is a contender for the best MMORPG to be released next year!

• wandererchanwandererchan Member UncommonPosts: 17

i read in couple game forums alot of people believe this to kill ffxi. me personal i going to play this game. after playing ffxi for so long. if want to read up more on this game check out aionsource.com. PR people for ncsoft post there alot.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Yes I'm a FF fan, loved FFXI to bits and I still play once in a while when I start to miss Vana'diel. ^_^  The thing that gets me is of course the horrid grind and while Aion does have grind too, it won't be to FFXI's level and will probably seem like a nice vacation to some FF players. That's what I'm guessing anyway.

I noticed a lot of people looking at Aion are/were Lineage/Lineage 2 and FFXI players. There is a familiar feel to game and yet it has more features then those games. Where FFXI lacks 'real' PvP, Aion is PvP based and while Lineage 2 lacks RP features and has sad, sad crafting, Aion has a full crafting system and things like emotes galore and housing to come a bit after release ect...

So yeah as an FF player I'm very much looking forwards to this.

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• TonupTonup Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Cynthe

Yes I'm a FF fan, loved FFXI to bits and I still play once in a while when I start to miss Vana'diel. ^_^  The thing that gets me is of course the horrid grind and while Aion does have grind too, it won't be to FFXI's level and will probably seem like a nice vacation to some FF players. That's what I'm guessing anyway.
    I noticed a lot of people looking at Aion are/were Lineage/Lineage 2 and FFXI players. There is a familiar feel to game and yet it has more features then those games. Where FFXI lacks 'real' PvP, Aion is PvP based and while Lineage 2 lacks RP features and has sad, sad crafting, Aion has a full crafting system and things like emotes galore and housing to come a bit after release ect...
    So yeah as an FF player I'm very much looking forwards to this.

Great to hear. I tried a few other games that were very quest based to get anywhere as far as levels go. FFXI was straight party based mob fighting. I would like to see a game that incorporates both these for leveling. If you feel like doing solo qwsts for XP great but if you want fight mobs for XP as a party that would be as good as quests. I am hoping this game does that. I still log onto FFXI from time to time but I want something that can get me excited again and i hope this game does that.

FFXI- Disavowed
    LOTR-Disavowed

Someone correct me if this has changed or is wrong, but you will get XP from quests, mob grinding and PvP, in fact I just seen somewhere on the source that PvP gives a bit greater XP. If you are a PvE person like me that doesn't mean the end of the world it just means we'll probably have to do a mix of questing and some mob grinding, which is fine once in a while. So there is definately more diversity in gaining levels and also rewards for that matter. There will be various ways to get nice items, so hopefully we can say goodbye to camping Leaping Lizzy for bounding boots for a week. :p

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

Ha I rememeber what it was like camping tose mobs before the irems were rare-ex. I spent so much time camping those boots, rabbit charm, emporer's hair pin. Ridiculous time spent. I almost camped for my Joyeuse... I heard that was the worst.

FFXI- Disavowed
    LOTR-Disavowed

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

dude dont even compare FFXI to Aion... aion is gonna be one of the greatest things to hit the gaming industry where as FFXI is just some game that a few thousand people play...

Originally posted by Aseenus

dude dont even compare FFXI to Aion... aion is gonna be one of the greatest things to hit the gaming industry where as FFXI is just some game that a few thousand people play...

Settle down! Dont make me call your probation officer.

FFXI- Disavowed
    LOTR-Disavowed

• jmmcglojmmcglo Member Posts: 203

FFXI was my first experience in MMORPGs. With that being said, I was early exposed to the grinding scene. For nearly 5 years and 100's of 1000s of EXP later I realized that FFXI was unable to offer me anything further as far as content. FFXI suffers, dreadfully, from the big-carrot-long-stick syndrome. Well, long long long loooong carrot.

I have about 15 of my closest FFXI budies crossing over to Aion upon release. We are all VERY tired fo the endless grinding and want to get into the more fun and rewarding aspects of what an MMO "should" offer. I jumped off the FFXI boat over 6 months ago and knew I was jumping off the boat over a year-and-a-half ago. We all feel Aion will deliver on the promise of content. Either way... and I'm sure they all agree as well... one can't go wrong with Aion vs FFXI.

We are recruiting... Want to learn more? Click here.

• syilonsyilon Member Posts: 2

I too came from FFXI, played it from US release on PC until about 1 1/2 years ago.

i've been looking for a new MMO to replace it. I played WoW for a stint , GW, and a few others but nothing was pleasing.

i am very excited about this title and i think it will deliver. i've been studying it for about a month now and it looks good.

graphics seem very good. but what gets me about this title is the game play. it seems to be a good mix, not too grindy but not a cakewalk cookie cutter WoW game.

i guess all we can do is wait to see if Aion delivers

• N1ghtsta1kerN1ghtsta1ker Member Posts: 112

I'm glad alot of the people interested in Aion come from FFXI (I come from it as well), that way I know we'll have a great community.

• jmmcglojmmcglo Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by N1ghtsta1ker

I'm glad alot of the people interested in Aion come from FFXI (I come from it as well), that way I know we'll have a great community.

I'm pretty sure that you can count on a large amount of players porting from FFXI to AION. I have many confirmed individuals (aside from my FFXI friends) who are either making the jump or are at least "eye-balling" AION for what it has to offer.

We are recruiting... Want to learn more? Click here.

Originally posted by N1ghtsta1ker

I'm playing FFXI again and I'm always taken aback how friendly people are, it's hard to get  a random /smile and /wave in other mmo's.

That and FFXI players seem a lot better at communicating over the internet... ^^

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• NewMonsterNewMonster Member Posts: 417

I dont see the similarity of the 2 titles at all. jus my opinion aion and ff11 are far off and across the country.... across the globe.

aion more similar to lineage 2.

• VandrorVandror Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by curiindi

Although I don't see it as a FFXI replacement, I am also very interested in Aion. Like FFXI, Aion has a "lighter" style, but the graphics look more like an upgraded mix between Guild Wars and Lineage - reasonably due to NCsoft development! I will be especially interested in what NCsoft will do to fully promote this game, which I think is a contender for the best MMORPG to be released next year!

Next year? noooooo Are you sure it is a year away from release US ???

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488
    Originally posted by Vandror

Originally posted by curiindi

Next year? noooooo Are you sure it is a year away from release US ???

This year!