Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My friends hate RPers

When I first began playing World of Warcraft, I became skeptical of roleplaying because my friends said that it was stupid and they really made it clear how much they despised RPers. Personally, I enjoy casually roleplaying because it can be fun to do while I'm waiting for a raid group to fill up or a battleground to begin. The only time I can really roleplay is when my friends are offline and that isn't very often. What should I do about this? I really want to be able to RP but not get laughed at by my friends.

Comments

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812

1) Be honest and stand up and tell them how it is.

2) Laugh at them for being what they apparently so despise (after all, they are playing a MMORPG)

• saint4Godsaint4God Member Posts: 699

I'd run into a similar situation myself, especially since World of Warcraft came out where they made clear distinction between Roleplay and regular servers.  I have characters on both servers.  For when I want to Roleplay, I go onto the RP server where I'm in an RP guild and I RP the whole time I'm on.

For my non-RP friends (who did laugh when I blazed into the Normal server with "Vanquish all the evils upon our cursed land!"), I'm out of character and just hang with friends being my real-life self.  This is more or less 'social gaming' than the more serious, in-depth immersion gaming.

For my non-gamer friends, we set up time and they come over to hang out, watch movies and stuff.  Some of them hate computer gaming.  That's cool, I don't try to force them or win converts.  I respect their decision not to game as much as they respect my decision to game.

End result.  I do spend most of my time doing the RP thing since it's what I enjoy most.  As someone mentioned before, be honest with them.  If they snub you, then are they truly your friends?  I still have time and make an effort to hang with non-RP friends too. 

• Ben-HarrisonBen-Harrison Member Posts: 20

I can appreciate this situation too; roleplaying (especially if you get really into roleplaying as I have in the past...) does tend to make one conscious of how others view it as a passtime. If it's really something that bothers you, you could simply keep any roleplaying you do a very private thing -- enjoy it during times when you play without your friends and keep it to yourself.

Or...

Quote:
    1) Be honest and stand up and tell them how it is.

2) Laugh at them for being what they apparently so despise (after all, they are playing a MMORPG)

Personally, I like singsofdeath's advice better! Roleplaying is just another hobby, and you're not harming anyone by enjoying it, so just have fun.

• LilaluLilalu Member Posts: 68

I hate soccer! Just can´t get myself to watch a match or even to play it myself.

Some of my frieds like soccer a lot. They talk about it constantly or visit the stadion regularly.

Why should I Iaugh at them? They are my friends! I´d never do this. It´s their hobby and they have fun doing it. And I hope they enjoy themselfs.

I don´t think your "friends" are real friends. Or they would just accept you for what you are.

And besides this, it´s just a game. I think they take this much much to serious.

• dA_fReAKdA_fReAK Member Posts: 384

I hate RP'ers too.... why not stay in their own RP'ing worlds?

Im PvP'ing or something and they come up and say "Attack not, your enemy... Be friends with them; is what makes you better" im like WHAT THE F?! I killed both of them eventually, but wtf man...

• UtMoonUtMoon Member Posts: 99

Silly man... 'roleplaying' does not always mean playing the nice guy. If you are in a 'RPG' and you do not roleplay at all, you are not in a MMORPG. You have no role. You are just playing. It is a sad state of affairs that twists the meaning of MMORPG to completely cut out any RP at all. the only reason PvPers and Levelers have the advantage is because they waste more time getting their 'toons' more powerful. Any idiot can grind. It takes intelligence to roleplay. 

I changed my mind. PlaneShift is not worth the time.

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Originally posted by UtMoon

Silly man... 'roleplaying' does not always mean playing the nice guy. If you are in a 'RPG' and you do not roleplay at all, you are not in a MMORPG. You have no role. You are just playing. It is a sad state of affairs that twists the meaning of MMORPG to completely cut out any RP at all. the only reason PvPers and Levelers have the advantage is because they waste more time getting their 'toons' more powerful. Any idiot can grind. It takes intelligence to roleplay. 

Yeah I second that. remember the "good ole days" (pre-millenium muds and the original big three UO, AC, and EQ)? You know, when almost everyone was hardcore and most were roleplayer's? You know, cause thats why they bought the game, to roleplay. Not saying everything sucks these days, its just different now, more mainstream if you will. Mostly "easy mode" themeparks on rails these days, with a few niche exceptions.

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628

Originally posted by dA_fReAK

Im PvP'ing or something and they come up and say "Attack not, your enemy... Be friends with them; is what makes you better" im like WHAT THE F?! I killed both of them eventually, but wtf man...

Lol are you serious? They didn't tell you to go F*** yourself or anything. Why does that bother you? They are playing how they prefer, as are you. Please tell me you are just joking, and that you are not truly this ignorant. What if I said I hate PVP'ers cause they like to fight others? That would be an ignorant statement, right? You're basically saying that you "hate" (which is quite strong a word) rp'ers cause they like to rp in an mmorpg. LOL. I've heard it all now.

Lemme bring ya back down to earth with the rest of us. Pvp is the new kid on the block, the youngin. This genre was invented to facillitate ROLEPLAYING with friends over an internet connection, once again, ROLEPLAYING. Dungeons and Dragons being the main influence of all the early mud and early graphical mmos . Pvp came later, years later when in aol's neverwinter nights, a player discovered a way to attack others and kill them (exploit). At first they were gonna squash this bug, cause thats what it was, but the players liked it so much, they kept it in.  I like pvp too, I like to duel others once and a while myself dude. I have reverence for the option of pvp in an mmo, and its importance in mmo history and to its future. I do not hate PVP'ers, nor anyone else for that matter.

With that said, to hate someone for doing something in a game, that the game owes it's whole existance to, a.k.a "ROLEPLAYING", is just wrong, don't you think?

P.s What other worlds should they rp in other than an mmo? Mario? Team Fortress? Lol

• Ben-HarrisonBen-Harrison Member Posts: 20

Well said! I'd add that roleplaying requires not only intelligence (in comparison to grinding and its like), but more importantly, effort. Good roleplay challenges the player. And usually, you get out of an RPG what you put in.

• SidoxsSidoxs Member Posts: 103

Grow up thats what you should do, i feel bad for you if you roleplay. go play zelda or something

HOGG4LIFE

It takes intelligence to roleplay. 
    wow... all i have to say to that is wow

wtf can someone say to that?

wtf is wrong with people

HOGG4LIFE

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

"

Im PvP'ing or something and they come up and say "Attack not, your enemy... Be friends with them; is what makes you better" im like WHAT THE F?! I killed both of them eventually, but wtf man..."

Forgot to put in 7's and 3's in this post...oh, and some Z's as well...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by joeyboots

Originally posted by dA_fReAK

Lol are you serious? They didn't tell you to go F*** yourself or anything. Why does that bother you? They are playing how they prefer, as are you. Please tell me you are just joking, and that you are not truly this ignorant. What if I said I hate PVP'ers cause they like to fight others? That would be an ignorant statement, right? You're basically saying that you "hate" (which is quite strong a word) rp'ers cause they like to rp in an mmorpg. LOL. I've heard it all now.

Lemme bring ya back down to earth with the rest of us. Pvp is the new kid on the block, the youngin. This genre was invented to facillitate ROLEPLAYING with friends over an internet connection, once again, ROLEPLAYING. Dungeons and Dragons being the main influence of all the early mud and early graphical mmos . Pvp came later, years later when in aol's neverwinter nights, a player discovered a way to attack others and kill them (exploit). At first they were gonna squash this bug, cause thats what it was, but the players liked it so much, they kept it in.  I like pvp too, I like to duel others once and a while myself dude. I have reverence for the option of pvp in an mmo, and its importance in mmo history and to its future. I do not hate PVP'ers, nor anyone else for that matter.

With that said, to hate someone for doing something in a game, that the game owes it's whole existance to, a.k.a "ROLEPLAYING", is just wrong, don't you think?

P.s What other worlds should they rp in other than an mmo? Mario? Team Fortress? Lol

You mis-understood me.

How would you like it if you were RP'ing and some PvP'er comes and kills you? Thats how I feel when im PvPing and RP'ers come RP'ing...

If you have PvP'ers ... well hey thats your call, no I dont see it as an ignorant statement...

I agree with most of what you said, the earliest MMO I know of is UO (graphical MMO's, not browser based etc... used to play those aswell long time back - but those were PvP games too) so im not sure if PvP came later...

And yeah saying I hate them is too strong, I too sometimes RP... SOMETIMES.... but look at my second sentence.

P.S. ME LOVE UR AVATAR PIC!

• Shifty360Shifty360 Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by Sidoxs

wtf is wrong with people

Roleplaying takes something more valueable, imaginiation. Something that many players lack.

Originally posted by Slampig

"

Im PvP'ing or something and they come up and say "Attack not, your enemy... Be friends with them; is what makes you better" im like WHAT THE F?! I killed both of them eventually, but wtf man..."

Forgot to put in 7's and 3's in this post...oh, and some Z's as well...

Now thats what an idiot would do. I have 1337 talk, dont bring me down that low... look at my post above too

Originally posted by Shifty360

wtf is wrong with people

Roleplaying takes something more valueable, imaginiation. Something that many players lack.

Agreed

• i_own_ui_own_u Member UncommonPosts: 314

Don't worry about them. Just do what you think is best. If you tell them about it, then if they really were your friends, they would'nt laugh and they would respect your decision. I personally would do it, disregarding their opinions.

People who role play need to have their heads checked out. Why roleplay? tell me that. so you can pretend you have a sword irl? so you can call your friends and say for the realm or what?

If you want to roleplay stick with zelda and those emo cartoons

HOGG4LIFE

wtf is wrong with people

Signed 100%

People who role play need to have their heads checked out. Why roleplay? tell me that. so you can pretend you have a sword irl? so you can call your friends and say for the realm or what?
    Why do you watch movies?

Why do you play Computer Games?

Why do you bother posting here?

Because probably you are enjoying it, right? Well, some people enjoy playing a Role that is not themselves. Consider actors, if you have to make a comparison. I suppose they need to get their heads checked out as well, eh? And I'm not even talking about the people earning buttloads of money with it, but the actors in a simple theater. All idiots to you, eh?

My gods you're sad.

People dont RP because they are crazy, they roleplay because it is an escape from everyday life.

Many roleplayers are older gamers so the zelda and emo cartoons don't really apply.

Grow up thats what you should do, i feel bad for you if you roleplay. go play zelda or something

Just to comment on age again, I believe the average age of gamers is 25 now.

Originally posted by singsofdeat

Why do you watch movies?

Because probably you are enjoying it, right? Well, some people enjoy playing a Role that is not themselves. Consider actors, if you have to make a comparison. I suppose they need to get their heads checked out as well, eh? And I'm not even talking about the people earning buttloads of money with it, but the actors in a simple theater. All idiots to you, eh?
    My gods you're sad.

I dont watch movies

I play online games so i can roll gimps like you, and that is it

im posting here to get some answers(Which i still want)

And actors get PAID millions of dollars to play a part,

AND ACTORS ARE REAL LIFE. WORLD OF WARCRAFT IS A GAME. PIXELS ON A SCREEN. why dont you become an actor so you can actually get paid instead of paying.

HOGG4LIFE

Originally posted by singsofdeat

Why do you watch movies?

My gods you're sad.
    I dont watch movies

I play online games so i can roll gimps like you, and that is it

I laughed about this. You think you're a great gamer because you try to beat on someone who's not playing the way you do? Grow up.

im posting here to get some answers(Which i still want)

You#re getting answers. Just not those you like.

And actors get PAID millions of dollars to play a part,

Reading of my post before replying to it For teh win.

AND ACTORS ARE REAL LIFE. WORLD OF WARCRAFT IS A GAME. PIXELS ON A SCREEN.

The role they play are just as much real-life as a game. Or do you think Armageddon was a Newscast?

That said, congratulations on being ignorant.

Just to comment on age again, I believe the average age of gamers is 25 now.

I take that back, the average age is 33 according to the Entertainment Software Association.

www.theesa.com/facts/top_10_facts.php