Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World population?

eqlipteqlipt Member Posts: 6
Is this game still played? Last time I checked servers it was something around 20 players online.. Is it always like that? I was thinking of trying it but since it's not really Massively Multiplayer I have doubts.

Comments

• MiexonMiexon Vendetta Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 181
    yea there are usually 30-50 online but at late times it usually goes down to 20ish. The game is not being advertised because of devs dont want it to be yet but hopefully soon enough they will.

Member of the Phoenix Alliance Guild
    in Vendetta Online
    www.vendetta-online.com

• macpetemacpete Member UncommonPosts: 64

Here you can find the Vendetta Active Players Graph:

http://www.systinus.com/vo/graph/

-

• chaz9999chaz9999 Member Posts: 2
    Nice to see all 3 factions are fairly balanced in terms of players :)
  • NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Played this game for a while a couple of years ago, I loved it, but theres only ever a handful of players online (not enough to call the game an MMO, usually less people on than you get on an average FPS game server).

They need to start advertising soon or the game will look to dated to actually attract people.  With competition like Infinity on the way, VO could be overshadowed before anyone even knows about it.

yea i agree nasher the game needs more people and more advertising for it, right now it has barely any.

in Vendetta Online
    www.vendetta-online.com

• ShohadakuShohadaku Member Posts: 581

and to think, today on EVE there was over 30,000 online at the same time.

I tried Vendetta and it's solid gameplay, but a bit too cartoony for my taste. It did run nice and smooth for me though.

EVE beats it hands down. If only the smooth fps gameplay of vendetta was mixed with the complexity of EVE.

yea but EVE and VO are totally different games. How many people in eve do you talk to out of that 30,000 though? Some people say how many people there are in EVE and its funny because a lot of the time you directly interact with more people in VO than some do in eve.

in Vendetta Online
    www.vendetta-online.com

• ShohadakuShohadaku Member Posts: 581

Well playing both I can say interacting with people in EVE is up to you.

If your just a cearbear grinding missions solo to make cash then yea you don't have to interact.

I was in a large alliance where interaction was a huge part of your game day. Large fleets. Mining op's. Corps and alliances rely on interaction to function.

It just depends on what you want to do. No way can you compair the community interaction for EVE's community is very large.

• TwohededboyTwohededboy Member Posts: 200

Maybe I am missing something but how does more people equal more fun? MMO does not mean alot of people it indicates a persistent world that more than one person can enter, just because there are only 20 to 30 does not make it any less an MMO than a game that has 20,000 to 30,000. I feel that WoW has set an artificially high standard for game population by which many people judge the worth of a game. Just because EVE has more people doesn't mean it is the better game. Maybe it is but making that statement based on population is a very limited assesment.

very true two

in Vendetta Online
    www.vendetta-online.com

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

I dont see how anyone can like this game over EvE. Seriously its not even a question of taste, They both AIM for the same thing only EvE delivers over 10000 times more than this game ever possibly could even if it had more than 4 years extra development time.

Im sorry but more players does equal more fun you know why?

EvE is a living world, with thousands of people trading and crafitng items and changing the economy ever second of the day. Its Dynamic.

Im serious if all the people on this forum that enjoy Earth and Beyond and Vendetta, they should easily enjoy EvE.

In fact if you get the 14 day free trial i will group with you and show you a good time, just so you can see how good EvE really is.

Alot of people get thrown off EvE cause it is tough to get into at first, but once your in trust me YOUR IN!

I havent been in love with a MMO like EVE since SWG PRE-NGE.

So please message me here on MMORPG.com or in game, and ill gladly help you guys see the real game, cause trust me once you get into a corporation the game flys by.

-Jive

• AggroedAggroed Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Twohededboy

Maybe I am missing something but how does more people equal more fun? MMO does not mean alot of people it indicates a persistent world that more than one person can enter, just because there are only 20 to 30 does not make it any less an MMO than a game that has 20,000 to 30,000. I feel that WoW has set an artificially high standard for game population by which many people judge the worth of a game. Just because EVE has more people doesn't mean it is the better game. Maybe it is but making that statement based on population is a very limited assesment.

Actually MMO means MASSIVE Multiplayer online.. kinda yeah means more people.. otherwise it would be a MORPG (multiplayer online RPG).  still i have not tried this game and i have been wondering if it is still around to experiment with.  played EVE... got tired of waiting a full year real time to be able to do anything other than the whole carebear solo missions.

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320

I played Eve for a long time and Earth and Beyond.  Neither one let you aim and shoot using your aim skill rather than how long you ground out the level your at to determine how accurate the weapons are.  Nice to have a game that allows you to actually fly a vehicle in dogfights letting the player actually feel in control.  I havnt played Vendetta since beta and am looking for a FPS style mmo space game.  Playing TR now but thats not true fps. 

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

Originally posted by Aggroed

Originally posted by Twohededboy

Actually MMO means MASSIVE Multiplayer online.. kinda yeah means more people.. otherwise it would be a MORPG (multiplayer online RPG).  still i have not tried this game and i have been wondering if it is still around to experiment with.  played EVE... got tired of waiting a full year real time to be able to do anything other than the whole carebear solo missions.

VO can handle thousands players as any MMO, of course ... Guild developers are not yet prepared for a proper launch, they are waiting for a more complete build (the long awaited 2.0). But VO's small community is still there after all these years, all the players are very supportive and very friendly with newcomers. You can always find 30-40 players online at any given time and the in-game chat is always lively (you can even find the devs ingame most of the time). The game is also updated very frequently.

-

• yclukycluk Member Posts: 34

I played EvE for a year or so.

It's an RPG game, and you control of the ship / game is pretty much click to move.

My corp's people getting more and more inactive, so I finally quit EvE.

However, only jumpgate ( that I tried so far ) allows players to aim in the ship and shoot their target.

I am looking for MMORPG games with FPS environment. EvE does not have FPS environment, nor Tabula Rasa.

I tried Jumpgate, and it has small community, and I waiting for Jumpgate Evoluation to come out.

If you want to play MMORPG with FPS element, you can try Neocron 2 (small community as well) or you can try...   www.massivefps.com

But make sure you read players' comment before you try those MMOFPS games, some of them are only 3rd person shooter, not first person, and some of them are just shooter without Role-playing element.

By the way, MMO really need massive amount of people to play in a single instance to be called MMO, hence Guild war kind of games isn't MMO for me.

For my personal favour, the fun of MMO comes when 100 or more players fighting in an chaotic battlefield.

If we can combine real-time strategy, role-playing, and first person shooter game in a 3D MMO environment, it will be a good game.

To check current population at any given time: http://www.systinus.com/vo/graph/

[EDIT]Ops ... I've posted this link twice ... sorry, I've still got the flu :(

-

• PegasusJFPegasusJF Member Posts: 268

I'll make this promise, if the game makes 100 players (at peak times)on a consistent basis I'll rejoin.

The game is a little grindy, but it certainly does have it's fun moments.

I hope it succeeds, the Sci-Fi genre needs some more good games.

The 1.8 version is coming and this should mark the end of a very long period of work that has concerned the back-end subsystems of VO. Here's a reply from one of the developers:

(incarnate)

1.8 is not about visible content, it's about the various back-end subsystems we spent the past year developing.. finally being considered "production ready".

You could look at it that the "real time for new content" is now just beginning.

-

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180

I hope they start advertising this game, I am hoping to get back into it hopefully in a few months when possible. The controls are what hooked me, it requires more skill than just clicking things on a hotbar.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• christianadochristianado Member Posts: 4

Quite few ppl are still playing this.

The number of current VO players is the same as a few years ago. It's a small community of aficionados that confide in the plans of the devs.

-

• WanklerWankler Member Posts: 60

"I dont see how anyone can like this game over EvE. Seriously its not even a question of taste, They both AIM for the same thing only EvE delivers over 10000 times more than this game ever possibly could even if it had more than 4 years extra development time."

10,000 times more grinding more like.  Here is the difference for me.  I played Eve for about a year, grinded like crazy, and even then after a year of leveling/grinding I still could not compete in PvP.  I could be a tackler and lock down a ship, just before I was blown up and someone with more experience points came in their "Uber" ship w/ "Uber" Weapons.  Also Eve is the same as most other MMO's when it comes to locking a target and mashing buttons.  No skill involved other than timing.

Now take VO on the other hand.  After playing for a week I'm at a level where I can compete in PvP.  The reason?  It's because this game is not a grind fest.  Weapons help, but win or lose is more determined by the skill of the pilot than the Uberness of his/her gear.  The game is not long on PvE, but that's not why I play these games, I play to compete and interact online with other real people.

The other thing that really bothered me about Eve was it's vastness.  Sure kind of cool at first, but try getting together anything with your guild mates.  It goes something like this:

"Let's get together and hunt some pirates"

"OK, Let's, I'm 23 Jumps away so I'll be there in a couple of hours"

Jumpclones in Eve helped that somewhat, but you still spend a large amount of your time in Eve watching your spaceship fly around on autopilot while you watch Youtube, or some other distraction.

Now the VO universe is much much smaller, and much more easy to get around in.  It doesn't give you the vastness of space feeling that Eve does, but you also don't have to watch your ship fly for two hours by itself just to meet up and play with friends.

That is why I like this game over Eve.  Eve is very pretty to look at, but beyond that, it's the same as most other MMO's where PvP wins are determined by how much time you have to waste on the game and fighting is lock target and button mash.

I guess if PvE is your cup of tea, and you enjoy killing scores of mindless AI's then you will probably like Eve more than VO.  If you like balanced PvP and a small close knit community, then VO is probably were you will have more fun.

• moldyman44moldyman44 Member Posts: 6

This game has potential. But it's been said for the three years I've been around.

All in all, a great story and a good roleplay community, but you might get bored of grinding (reaching level 10 across the board takes up to a month at most, and nothing requires more). And while PvP is great, this won't be a game you'll play for hours on end everyday, imo.

• rocketsleddrocketsledd Member Posts: 2

Meh. I really like the community. Whereas undoubtedly more subscribers would be a good thing, I, for one, am enjoying the smaller population.

It always bugs me when people look toward popularity as the basis for how good something is. Pop culture is full of unbelievable crap that millions of people seem to like.

And besides, even the larger populations had to start somewhere.

I love VO. I would like to see it grow in both features and popularity but for the time being, I'm happy to be here while real estate is still cheap and I know half the people online at any given time.

This can't be reality. This is fun!

• scyllafrenscyllafren Member UncommonPosts: 26

With the recently announced gift keys, VO starting to be more populated. 100 player in peak times are more and more reality :) And I hope it will be only a beginning.