Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To The UO Producer: What UO Was Meant To Be

2»

Comments

• zenthias_rpgzenthias_rpg Member Posts: 30

{ Mod Edit }

Why do you tools find it necessary to come and bitch every single day? I don't go to WoW's forum and bitch about how bad that game sucks.

If you don't like UO then play a different game. It's simple.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Originally posted by zenthias_rpg

{ Mod Edit }
    Why do you tools find it necessary to come and bitch every single day? I don't go to WoW's forum and bitch about how bad that game sucks.
    If you don't like UO then play a different game. It's simple.

I find it much more amusing to browse the stratics forums every few weeks. Seems like regular paying customers are doing a fair share of bitching while paying.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• pirate3335pirate3335 Member Posts: 24

Someday someone will get the balls to make UO 2, and actually follow through with it, I just hope they remember that gameplay is everything.  Darkfall is the only hope I have left, if it fails im going back to free t2a UO servers. 

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Originally posted by pirate3335

Someday someone will get the balls to make UO 2, and actually follow through with it, I just hope they remember that gameplay is everything.  Darkfall is the only hope I have left, if it fails im going back to free t2a UO servers. 

Yes, I have been reading up on Darkfall lately, and it does seem like this dev team is highly inspired by uo. Does anyone know if this indeed the case? Were they inspired by UO? It sure seems like it. By the way, I'm just curious, as I think this game is a fantastic idea, and I hope it succeeds. There has been many failures in the mmo market lately, and I hope this doesn't end up like those.

• MikesLogicMikesLogic Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by MaeEye

To today, this is still one of my favorite concept art for any game.  MMO, or Single player console.  THis painting brings back so many good memories when I first started UO.  This painting was the first thing UO i saw, it was the painting that you saw when you opened up t2a.  While patching I would just stare at that picture.  It really did depicte what UO was about.  The awesome storm coming in, the dragons and the defense. . .the role playing and the PKing.  Everything that painting is, is all lost now.  Like Seper said, you don't see ninjas in that picture do you?

I remember waiting for the patcher to finish while staring into this picture.  Brings back great memories of UO.

Originally posted by joeyboots

Yes, I have been reading up on Darkfall lately, and it does seem like this dev team is highly inspired by uo. Does anyone know if this indeed the case? Were they inspired by UO? It sure seems like it. By the way, I'm just curious, as I think this game is a fantastic idea, and I hope it succeeds. There has been many failures in the mmo market lately, and I hope this doesn't end up like those.

Nah not UO, everything coming out seems to be inspired by the king of MMOs WoW.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• FockerFocker Member Posts: 344
    Originally posted by Briansho

Brian, Buddy, Pal, read a lil on darkfall.  Its nowhere near WoW.  PVP, Looting, Stealing, Ship Wars, Destroying Player owned Buildings, no Safe zones. 

Originally posted by Focker

Brian, Buddy, Pal, read a lil on darkfall.  Its nowhere near WoW.  PVP, Looting, Stealing, Ship Wars, Destroying Player owned Buildings, no Safe zones. 

I'll believe these after its released.

• howitzer1howitzer1 Member Posts: 109

Darkfall is 8 year old vaporware trash. Only a deluded fool would actually talk about Darkfall thinking it's going to be any type of success.

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628

Originally posted by howitzer1

Darkfall is 8 year old vaporware trash. Only a deluded fool would actually talk about Darkfall thinking it's going to be any type of success.

That is what people thought of Prey and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. They took many years to finally come out, and were very successful when they were finally released. I personally do not mind how long a game takes to come out, as long as it comes out stable, and in the form originally promised. I also remember people telling me that wow was going to flop before it came out. I am not a wow fan, but look how right the naysayers were then. It is ignorant to pass judgement on a product before it is even released, don't you think?

And yes, if anyone disagrees on the similarities between UO and Darkfall, they have obviously not read about the game. The only things Darkfall shares in common with wow is the fact that is an mmo and it's 3d, thats it. Also, Briansho, why must you try to debunk me (unsuccessfully) on every thread? Have I wronged you in any way?

• Irish_RedIrish_Red Member Posts: 114

That is what people thought of Prey and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. They took many years to finally come out, and were very successful when they were finally released. I personally do not mind how long a game takes to come out, as long as it comes out stable, and in the form originally promised. I also remember people telling me that wow was going to flop before it came out. I am not a wow fan, but look how right the naysayers were then. It is ignorant to pass judgement on a product before it is even released, don't you think?

And yes, if anyone disagrees on the similarities between UO and Darkfall, they have obviously not read about the game. The only things Darkfall shares in common with wow is the fact that is an mmo and it's 3d, thats it. Also, Briansho, why must you try to debunk me (unsuccessfully) on every thread? Have I wronged you in any way?

Prey and Stalker must of been pretty successful. Never heard of em.

Other than that I agree with what you have posted. A game needs to be 99.5% complete when it is release. Not full of bugs.

Cuz you gangsta!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I just wanted to add my support for the old classic UO. It was my first MMORPG and to this date my best experience, tied with AC 1 DT server. The freedom to become whatever you wanted, the real economy, the feared pks... Sadly those magic MMORPG moments will probably will never been seen again, the genre is too mainstream now.

• EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 1

I, like many here, played pretty much from the (euro) release of the game and have never enjoyed another MMORPG as much since.  I remember starting out on the Drachenfels server with 100g, the endless days of mining and learning (the hard way) about how to protect your ore/bars from the competition, finally making myself some armor and a weapon to venture forth to the North of Minoc and running into one of the most notorious PK's on the server...err...repeatedly

There was something about UO which made it great.  To my mind, it was the freedom it offered compared to the other online RPG's.  I loved the way you could make something of the game in any number of ways, whether it be collecting and crafting for wealth, scouting dungeons to get magic items, PvP, blatant theft (either by an actual thief character, or more crafty means), etc etc etc.  Another thing, which has also been mentioned, was the economy.  I mean pre-gold/item duping when the economy actually worked.  I remember the first walk all the way to Britain just to sell my wares, and being gated upon arrival to one of those snake-infested islands of doom by someone claiming it was to his shop.  Or the first few houses I placed, and the feeling of pride and accomplishment when I finally moved on to shop ownership.  Or the fear of dungeoning solo, knowing full-well that a horde of PKer names might appear on the side of your screen at any given second.

I think I played 5 years before I finally quit UO - it was around the time they tried to make it all 3D I believe.  It was just the last straw to add to the anvil-on-the-camel's-back which had been Trammel.  I'd absolutely love a 'classic' UO server, but I don't think we'll see one ... the only reincarnations of UO I've experienced add lots of crazy stuff to an already crazy game.

RIP Ultima Online

• WildBeautyWildBeauty Member Posts: 28

Well done eammo ! Hope those who still advertise UO and want us back , read your post. You said it all on my behalf as well. Hope they listen and apply your wise suggestions to our dear UO.  I have no doubt that UO can get there, to the top, top of the topest, get back its former clients + new thousands more, if only they read your post and do what you say.

• AminerAminer Member Posts: 1

I also do miss the old days of Ultima Online! Mostly the Pre-Ren days. Ultima Online took skill back then. Tank mages roamed, and reds were feared. The path from Britain to Yew unsafe. But there may be some hope! Many people have emulated servers that re-create the days of Ultima Online from 1999 for free!

Recently I stumbled across a server named <modedit>. It is just like UO was in the old days. I will be playing there so if you guys wanna check it out and hook up some old memories again, visit... <modedit>

I found that you  really can roll once again as a feared Pker throughout the lands of Sosaria ...

without trammel!

• GuitanoGuitano Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by Aminer

I also do miss the old days of Ultima Online! Mostly the Pre-Ren days. Ultima Online took skill back then. Tank mages roamed, and reds were feared. The path from Britain to Yew unsafe. But there may be some hope! Many people have emulated servers that re-create the days of Ultima Online from 1999 for free!

Recently I stumbled across a server named <modedit>. It is just like UO was in the old days. I will be playing there so if you guys wanna check it out and hook up some old memories again, visit... <modedit>

I found that you  really can roll once again as a feared Pker throughout the lands of Sosaria ...

without trammel!

I dont care what anyone says, free shards are are pure crap in all ways a to z. Trust me, I was a hardcore classic UO fan back in the day and I have played a good handfull of free shards. You will never get back what pay to play classic UO was. What UO was meant to be will never be again since the EA UO team is nothing but hard headed puke bags. The EA UO team will say they cant make a classic shard since the code is gone, thats bullcrap, at one time they did talk about making one and that it was on the table. If people can make crap free shards from home, so can the EA UO team.

Just look at how much cash EA is missing out on by not giving players a classic shard. If they think a classic shard will mess up todays UO, why not just release a classic UO cd? The dopes release a cd each time they decide to add another neon ninja sword or lame arse item to the pile of crap game it is now. Again we will never see real classic UO shard again unless some dude with loads of cash buys UO. I hate EA with every ounce of me and I hope they all choke on a fat one.

• FockerFocker Member Posts: 344
    Originally posted by Guitano

Originally posted by Aminer

without trammel!

I dont care what anyone says, free shards are are pure crap in all ways a to z. Trust me, I was a hardcore classic UO fan back in the day and I have played a good handfull of free shards. You will never get back what pay to play classic UO was. What UO was meant to be will never be again since the EA UO team is nothing but hard headed puke bags. The EA UO team will say they cant make a classic shard since the code is gone, thats bullcrap, at one time they did talk about making one and that it was on the table. If people can make crap free shards from home, so can the EA UO team.

Just look at how much cash EA is missing out on by not giving players a classic shard. If they think a classic shard will mess up todays UO, why not just release a classic UO cd? The dopes release a cd each time they decide to add another neon ninja sword or lame arse item to the pile of crap game it is now. Again we will never see real classic UO shard again unless some dude with loads of cash buys UO. I hate EA with every ounce of me and I hope they all choke on a fat one.

• TailleferTaillefer Member Posts: 1

Hello Everyone. I just thought id pitch in with my own opinion. I agree with 99% of what you all have to say about UO. Clearly the original UO was an amazing game. Probably the only thing bad about the game back then was that the "Lag Beast" would punish players on a regular basis. Though you cant really blame the game for that. It goes to show that the game was ahead of its time in 97/98.

The new UO world has been completely babytised. Here is a recallection of the changes to the game that i though contributed to its downfall. First in late 99 when they added faction venders. This helped to destroy the resource economy. I mean here they created forests for wood and hides and mountains for ore. It was one of the greatest aspects to the game that you had to go into the wilderness to collect these things and then run the gauntlet back to town or your house to store them safely. The faction venders of 99/2000 destroyed this. The next thing that happened was the genocide of the Thief class with the adding of trammel. I remember the thieves forum back then; there were 100s of players that were severly screwed by the new trammel ruleset. I mean whats a classic RPG without a thief anyway? Next was AOS and Item insurance and the numerous blessed items in the game. This killed much of the motovation to PK and what little there was left of the thief class. Now with the addition of AOS it seems to have made chain and plate armour obsolete; for its weight and non medable. What kind of classic rpg places leather armour with the same protection as plate ? This i felf contributed to the downfall since it moved away from classic Ultima. Then if all this wasnt bad enough they decide to top the whole rotten mess with a babytised coat of orange neon plate legs? and what? sunglasses? Clearly the game designers have completely missed what this game couldve been.

I truely believe that this game couldve been an absolute marvel even today if the designers had kept to the Classic Ultima Feel. There still couldve been many expansions to the game without throwing the game out of whack; but i guess they lacked that kind of vision.

Heres a question for you all. Do you thing there is a specific market for a MMORPG with a Top down view like ultima? Perhaps this is a partial reason for the games survival to this point.

Taillefer

• yclukycluk Member Posts: 34

I didn't got the chance to play UO in 97 - 2000 before Trammel days, so I went to Siege Perlicus shard which is same as UO classic days before Trammel cuz it has only Felccua there.

However, UO is in early development of MMO games, so it may not be beneifited from new dev technology.

It's lag is really horrible, and the 2D overlay graphic is just hard to interact with the game world.

Darkfall has been in development for many years, and it's my best hope of MMO game like UO style with a decent 3D virtual world environment.

Many games set high hope and takes long time to develop, but they archieve little, so they end up failing bad.

I would give Darkfall as much as they need to develop and not release a shit load of bugs when it comes out.

• GuitanoGuitano Member Posts: 208

The game was so very balanced back in the day. Todays UO is nothing but an item, gear and breast fed wuss game, basicaly WoW without the levels and instances. Me and a few friends PKed our arses off back in the day with our mages. It was awsome to have my name on the bank wanted sign, my house on fire isle camped. Things like tossing greater explosions at people at the bank, stealing with my theif, leaving my tinkers traps around for people to open and leaving my fake dead bod in town for somone to loot so I can call GUARDS! My macer was in chaos and the weekend street brawls with order had me and friends up all night long on weekends. I had lots of fun house looting and boat looting, tricking other reds with fake house key and fake rune to my house that really led to town for a swift guard whakChOp KlAnK.

I could go on and on about days of old and I know tons of other classic UOers could also.

I would say that I was very evil back in the day and I would trade any mmo out today to have a pay to play classic UO shard and to be evil once again. I just wish that EA games would understand what 1000's of classic UOers want.... A DAMN CLASSIC SHARD....they piss me the hell off by being so greedy, hard headed and selfish.

• t3thompson3t3thompson3 Member Posts: 11

Just my 2 cents. If your playing UOKR its the UI isn't bad and makes things a little easier. Its a different look but its still the same game.