Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars Is Not A >>RP<

DevourDevour Member Posts: 902

There is no roleplaying in any kind of form involved. Admit it, Guild Wars players, have you ever seen anyone roleplay or even develop their characters properly?

Comments

• JadetoothJadetooth Member UncommonPosts: 372

I tend to roleplay when playing online. Although it's been awhile since i played GW.

But not many RPGs have actual RPing in them. Hell, even regular RPGs aren't RP as such, you're always guided down a path. That's why when speaking of RPGs for computers or consoles, it just mean that there will be some sort of character advancement, it doesn't mean there will be any actual roleplaying going on.

------------------------------

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Originally posted by Devour

There is no roleplaying in any kind of form involved. Admit it, Guild Wars players, have you ever seen anyone roleplay or even develop their characters properly?
    GW is not a MMO game either.

But, it is the community's fault there is not much (or any) RP.

Then again, what else would one expect from a F2P game?

• Amy_joAmy_jo Member Posts: 70

There are some people that RP in guildwars.  But many many more who just like the pvp.  ()

I play the Rp side, just don't play with anyone else , i play it for a break from WoW, and when i don't want to have to interact with people.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

There is no roleplaying in any kind of form involved.

I personally belong in a GW PVE guild (not PVP)

but we dont roleplay

I dont roleplay in WOW or other MMOs either

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

What do you mean by saying you have to develop a character properly to rp? o_O

And yes.. there are ppl roleplaying in GW. There are whole guilds which like it but noone ever said GW is role-players paradise.

• TyrranosaurTyrranosaur Member UncommonPosts: 284

I was in a RP-only Guild on GW for a while, and they were pretty serious about it.

I've seen exactly as much RPing in GW as I have in WoW, TR, or DDO. I have seen more RPing in EQ and EQ2, however, than all of these games combined. None of these games specifically support RPing, beyond EQ/2 and WoW offering RP only servers. And EQ2 does let you tage yourself as being in a role playing mode, which is cool.

Strictly speaking, from the perspective of "role-playing supported by story content" I think GW does this best, as it actually has defined story arcs in which your character is an integral part. That is much closer to normal RPGs than most MMOs get, where you're usually just a nameless grunt running errands. Put another way, when I tired of WoW and quit, I really couldn't say much about my characters over there bayond "they have lots of purples" (I wish). In GW, I can say, "so-and-so saved Tyria from Nightfall." That's cool, something I'll remember.

Current MMOs: Rift, GW2, Defiance
    Blog: http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com (old school tabletop gaming and more)

• ZoOoOZoOoO Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Shoal

GW is not a MMO game either.

But, it is the community's fault there is not much (or any) RP.

Then again, what else would one expect from a F2P game?

I would not expect probably the most balance pvp game out there (non fps), however, that's exactly what a F2P game as GW achieve.

• NartholdNarthold Member Posts: 21

Yes, I would say Guild Wars has very little if any RP. Most of the people who play Guild wars are Power Gamers :(

• Actually I have run into RPers before in GW and in some ways the instanced nature of GW makes it easier on RP guild (which do exist).

However since an RP server set is simply impossible you really can't get much past an RP guild.

Meh I don't care.  And neither do most people.  Saying an RPG doesn't have much RP is only problem for about 10% of the consumers in the market. 

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

If I can control my character, I consider myself playing the role of him/her. Do I really need to speak differently to be my character?

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

lol true...

• DevourDevour Member Posts: 902

Originally posted by VIOL@TION

If I can control my character, I consider myself playing the role of him/her. Do I really need to speak differently to be my character?

No, but you have to be able to get into the mindset of a character, with at least some idea of why your character is doing what he is.

In Guild Wars, it's literally "GO TO DIS GUY NAO LOLZ ITS TIEM 4 XP" from the very start. There's no personality in the game.

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318
    People who want to roleplay do so, nothing prevents them to. People who want to be moron do so, and they get ignored or reported. Sounds pretty standard to me.
  • endlesoneendlesone Member Posts: 109

Originally posted by VIOL@TION

No, but you have to be able to get into the mindset of a character, with at least some idea of why your character is doing what he is.

In Guild Wars, it's literally "GO TO DIS GUY NAO LOLZ ITS TIEM 4 XP" from the very start. There's no personality in the game.

i ask you a question mention me an mmorpg or an rpg either online or offline that doesn't ask you tyo do  quest and mission like you just mentioned? even WoW has the same rp element to it,  heck every rpg ive played since the NES, has the same RP element to it.

• TesinatoTesinato Member UncommonPosts: 222

Part of the Roleplaying is doing the quests, becoming the hero, saving the world, blah blah.  Yes, now adays we look at it as quest grinding, or power gaming, or faction grinding, but in the end, it is developing your character into what you want it to be.  Now you can take it farther if you want and speak not so childish, and stick to only in game happenings, but the core of roleplaying is just playing the game.  They all have a story, all have quests, missions involved, which make the story move.

• TalynTalyn Member UncommonPosts: 587

Video game RPG's have *NEVER* been about "role playing," they've always been about "character advancement." For that matter, so are pen-and-paper RPG's but in those environments we're all face-to-face and, for those who are inclined to roleplay, it's much easier. MMO's are the same, and the best they can do is provide tools for the roleplayers to do whatever they do, such as LOTRO did, or provide a toolset such as WoW's Lua interface which has allowed people to release great addons, some of which were specifically for the RP crowd.

Everyone plays differently, and everyone RP's differently. It's all good. But it's the players, not the games, who are to blame for either a lack or an abundance of RP in our MMO's.

• lightbladelightblade Member Posts: 219

Define role-play first.  Then I'll give you my argument.

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Roleplaying

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Role playing)

Jump to: navigation, search

This article is about the act of adopting roles. For the 2001 Alan Ayckbourn play, see RolePlay (play).

In roleplaying, participants adopt and act out the role of characters, or parts, that may have personalities, motivations, and backgrounds different from their own. Roleplaying, also known as RP to some, is like being in an improvisational drama or free-form theater, in which the participants are the actors who are playing parts, and the audience.

People use the phrase "role-playing" in at least three distinct ways:

//<![CDATA[
    if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = "show"; var tocHideText = "hide"; showTocToggle(); }
    //]]>

For learning, political goals and therapy

Simulations and roleplaying exercises are one of the oldest of educational methods, having been used in ancient times and from young age. (Young children role play "doctor" and "nurse", "customers" and "shop owners" etc.) They have been used extensively in vocational training situations and in vocation-oriented higher-education courses (e.g. Law, Medicine, Economics) since the 1960s.

Roleplay simulations fall into the category of "multi-agenda social-process simulations". In such simulations, "participants assume individual roles in a hypothesised social group and experience the complexity of establishing and implementing particular goals within the fabric established by the system". [2]

Since the 1920s, roleplay simulation has been used in politics and international relations contexts, including model League of Nations organizations, which gave rise to model United Nations simulations. Mock Trials, and model legislatures, such as the YMCA Youth in Government program, are good examples of political role play too. Typically educational goals, real world political goals, and entertainment goals have all been important to political role play. Project ICONS and Fablusi role play simulations allow role play simulation designers to model human relationships using different rights structures in communication environments, differential information and amount of wealth.

Roleplaying has been an important part of military training for centuries. The Prussian term for live-action military training exercises is kriegsspiel or "Wargames", a term that has entered English as well, although the contemporary military prefers to call them military exercises.

Roleplaying is used as a form of psychotherapeutic intervention in several approaches, with Drama therapy using it as a primary therapeutic intervention. Often, conflicts with others will be acted out and embodied by a client or clients, providing insight and promoting sympathy. These techniques originate with psychodrama, a form founded by Jacob L. Moreno which employs playing roles as well as other techniques. Role-playing is widely used in learning-based psychotherapies focusing on skill acquisition.

For emergency response

Role-playing is the essence of the Incident Command System (ICS), which is widely used by emergency response agencies to manage response (particularly inter-agency response) to large and/or complex incidents.

For entertainment

Role-playing in the form of historical re-enactment has been practiced by adults for millennia as well. The ancient Romans, Han Chinese, and medieval Europeans all enjoyed occasionally organizing events in which everyone pretended to be from an earlier age, and entertainment appears to have been the primary purpose of these activities. Within the 20th century historical reenactment has often been pursued as a hobby.

Another role-playing tradition is the improvisational theatre tradition. This goes back in some sense to the Commedia dell'Arte tradition of 16th century. Modern improvisational theatre began in the classroom with the "theatre games" of Viola Spolin and Keith Johnstone in the 1950's. Viola Spolin, who was one of the founder the famous comedy troupe Second City, insisted that her exercises were games, and that they involved role-playing as early as 1946, but thought of them as training actors and comics rather than as being primarily aimed at being fun in their own right.

Role-playing games

Main article: Role-playing game

A role-playing game is a game in which the participants assume the roles of characters and collaboratively create stories. Participants determine the actions of their characters based on their characterization, and the actions succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines. Within the rules, they may improvise freely; their choices shape the direction and outcome of the games.

There are many different types of role-playing games (RPGs). Many, and particularly those that came first, are centered around characters being created in fantasy universes. Of particular note is the advent of such games as Dungeons and Dragons in the 1970's, invented and propagated originally by Gary Gygax and David Arneson. Many different versions of this game were developed, and other types of games were spun-off from this original template, causing what was first developed as a hobby to become a multi-million dollar business venture.

Sexual roleplaying

Main article: Sexual roleplaying

A form of roleplaying in which partners take parts in a drama that provides sexual gratification; these might include a teacher and pupil, or employer and maid. Sexual roleplaying is common in BDSM, and is integral to most pseudonymous or anonymous forms of cybersex.

Sexual roleplaying in online games

Sexual roleplaying also occurs, albeit rarely, on various forms of online games. This is a generally less accepted type of roleplaying in an online community, though opinions about it vary. Social acceptance and attitudes to sexual roleplaying differ within various communities, often dependent on the community's genre or purpose (e.g., adult BDSM and fetish communities not only accept this behaviour but promulgate it as the main activity around which the online community functions). It is also not uncommon for players to form personal attachments or friendships with the player that they roleplay with.

The above mentioned example is generally better accepted in an online environment than roleplaying a character that involves sexual-related content in public or in abovementioned adult-themed roleplaying games.

imageimage

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

The Wikipedia is your friend, abuse him! (referring to Lonesamurai's post.

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Originally posted by Godliest

The Wikipedia is your friend, abuse him! (referring to Lonesamurai's post.
    indeed...  he enjoys the abuse ;)

oh look, we're roleplaying

imageimage

• brownspankbrownspank Member Posts: 247

On occasion in towns, you'll see players from RP guilds being funny or entertaining, as part of their RP-style playing. So, yes, there are RPers in Guild Wars.

Here are some guilds that actively RP (and i'm sure there are some more that didn't list themselves in there): http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Category:RP_guilds

The rest of OP is just too vague to answer properly. I mean, "develop their characters properly"? What do you mean?

• lightbladelightblade Member Posts: 219

Role-playing games

Main article: Role-playing game

A role-playing game is a game in which the participants assume the roles of characters and collaboratively create stories. Participants determine the actions of their characters based on their characterization, and the actions succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines. Within the rules, they may improvise freely; their choices shape the direction and outcome of the games.

There are many different types of role-playing games (RPGs). Many, and particularly those that came first, are centered around characters being created in fantasy universes. Of particular note is the advent of such games as Dungeons and Dragons in the 1970's, invented and propagated originally by Gary Gygax and David Arneson. Many different versions of this game were developed, and other types of games were spun-off from this original template, causing what was first developed as a hobby to become a multi-million dollar business venture.

There are no computer RPGs out there that have the player create the story.  All the plots in CRPG are preset.  There is no Dungeon Master's guide ,there is no Player's handbook, and certainly no Monster Manual.

• TesinatoTesinato Member UncommonPosts: 222

what about D&D online?  I'd think if any game could pull rp off it would be that.  If that game doesn't even, then it is a sad gaming world.

• dwillpowerdwillpower Member Posts: 97

It does have RP just not a lot of it...Eh I get sick thinking about RP.

If you want a game with good RP, I think Second Life takes the cake.