Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Mac

Well I decided that im going to get a mac this year and was reading there is not going to be a mac option come release (sometime this decade or next). Kinda frustrating that I have to keep crappy windows to play this game from the start. Any idea if they changed their minds about this ?

Comments

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

Originally posted by laleb
    Well I decided that im going to get a mac this year and was reading there is not going to be a mac option come release (sometime this decade or next). Kinda frustrating that I have to keep crappy windows to play this game from the start. Any idea if they changed their minds about this ?

Nothing I have read has indicated that they have changed their minds - WAR is looking to be released for Windows XP and Vista only.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

If you get a mac this year (meaning one of the new macs and not an old mac) then you really don't have much of a problem.

Use Boot Camp, get a copy of Windows and you should be able to run it.

I have people in my clan who use macs and pc's but have Mac laptops. They use bootcamp to play LOTRO and Lineage 2 and say it's absolutely fine.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

Its nothing new Laleb why your even mad about this now is a surprise.  Games are Made for Windows not Mac's its rare games Launch with both versions.   Its only when the developers see a big enough profitable call to have a Mac version that they do a mac version.   Even WoW didn't have a mac version at launch, infact very few MMOs have Mac versions...I think (isn't sure).

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• GendailGendail Member UncommonPosts: 178

Originally posted by elvenangel

Its nothing new Laleb why your even mad about this now is a surprise.  Games are Made for Windows not Mac's its rare games Launch with both versions.   Its only when the developers see a big enough profitable call to have a Mac version that they do a mac version.   Even WoW didn't have a mac version at launch, infact very few MMOs have Mac versions...I think (isn't sure).

I'm pretty sure WoW had a Mac version from the beginning, I used my original release disks to install it on my iMac years ago.  That's one of the things that Blizzard has always been good about, including both PC and Mac versions with all their games.  As for other MMOs on Mac, the only other Major one that even attempted it was Everquest but that has all but died off,  You weren't even able to go onto the same servers as the rest of the game and it's progression was waaaaaay behind.   I think Shadowbane may have had a Mac version as well for whatever that is worth.

• TheFonzV2.0TheFonzV2.0 Member Posts: 198

Most macs nowadays are able to support Windows anyways, so is this pretty much just a cry of laziness?

Bollocks!

• Jenus1Jenus1 Member Posts: 162

Macs are not for gaming.. they're for making home movies..and that 'I-life' thingy that brag about.

Pre-cu Fanbois,
    There will be no rollback.
    Go outside - Get a life,
    It's not coming back.
    We arn't giving you your game-back.
    So go outside, and realize that you've wasted 2 years.
    Pre-cu Fanbois.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Originally posted by Jenus1

Macs are not for gaming.. they're for making home movies..and that 'I-life' thingy that brag about.

Oh, I don't know. I remember prefering my Mac over my PC for gaming.

Heck, one of our programmers has decided only to get a Mac and run windows on it as he prefers it. The People I know who use bootcamp are pretty tech saavy and give a thumbs up for boot camp. Intitially there was some sort of issue in Vista (and I don't know enough to explain it) but they have no problems playing these games.

Another programmer here has successfully run the bio shock demo (though he did not indicate what settings he used).

So he should be fine in running war. Though the point is moot. He needs to get a mac anyway. I suggset to the OP that he look into boot camp and hopefully he will be pleased enough to consider it a viable solution.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Originally posted by laleb

I have both an Apple and a PC. I do agree the Apple Tiger Operationg System destroys windows. (This is why Windows Vista OS blatantly ripped off Tiger OS). You have 2 options:

1. Buy a Windows emulator.  Google "Windows Emulator" or "Windows Emulators". The majority of them used to be free, or cheap. Bill Gates got angrey that Apple users found a way to have the best of all worlds (superior OS and able to play windows programs) that Gates has recently been buying up all the emulators. They now go for roughly 200.oo to 400.oo (USA). The best ones are still worth it - even if you new have to pay the two hundred to four hundred bucks to MicroSoft.

2. Play World of Warcraft.  One of the most overlooked reasons why WoW now has 9+ MILLION accounts in a market in which only 100,000 accounts is needed to be a bona fid hit... is that Blizzard made every single copy of WoW work on BOTH Windows OS, and Apple Tiger OS. (I never tried WoW on Linux, but I've heard it works on Linux too. Only what I've heard... never tested that out yet.).

And the fact that Blizzard was able to do this with WoW (it works on BOTH Windows and Apple/MAC at same time/the same game CD) further shames all the other mmorpg developers who are still clueless about what made WoW soo successful.

• oakaeoakae Member UncommonPosts: 344

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by laleb Well I decided that im going to get a mac this year and was reading there is not going to be a mac option come release (sometime this decade or next). Kinda frustrating that I have to keep crappy windows to play this game from the start. Any idea if they changed their minds about this ?
    If you get a mac this year (meaning one of the new macs and not an old mac) then you really don't have much of a problem.
    Use Boot Camp, get a copy of Windows and you should be able to run it.
    I have people in my clan who use macs and pc's but have Mac laptops. They use bootcamp to play LOTRO and Lineage 2 and say it's absolutely fine.

Yea just get a copy of windows xp and dual boot that.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Wah, get a PC.

• mk11232mk11232 Member Posts: 217
    Originally posted by xplororor

2. Play World of Warcraft.  One of the most overlooked reasons why WoW now has 9+ MILLION accounts in a market in which only 100,000 accounts is needed to be a bona fid hit... is that Blizzard made every single copy of WoW work on BOTH Windows OS, and Apple Tiger OS. (I never tried WoW on Linux, but I've heard it works on Linux too. Only what I've heard... never tested that out yet.).
    And the fact that Blizzard was able to do this with WoW (it works on BOTH Windows and Apple/MAC at same time/the same game CD) further shames all the other mmorpg developers who are still clueless about what made WoW soo successful.

HAHAHA your not really going to say with a straight face that a majority of WoW users are Mac users?!?  I mean seriously, you really think Mac is the reason for the large subscription.  Mac with a 3.2% world wide share and a 6.2% US market share?  Well you could be right, since WoW is the only game Mac can play, every Mac user must be playing WoW

• Originally posted by mk11232

Originally posted by xplororor

HAHAHA your not really going to say with a straight face that a majority of WoW users are Mac users?!?

ack I can't believe you missread my point, heheh.

Of course there are more Windows OS users than Tiger OS users. But, there IS a sizeable number of Apple/MAC users. Soo much so... that Blizzard on purpose went after the Apple/MAC market. This is what I was trying to bring attention to. In no way was I trying to say all games should now be made only for Tiger OS.

If more MMORPG companies would follow Blizzard's lead - which is make their games work on BOTH Windows OS and Tiger OS, they would become even more successful.  Blizzard even uses this fact as one of their selling points for WoW.   And the fact that Blizzard can do this, has done this - like I said, shames all other MMORPG companies. Blizzard has shown how easy it is to make a MMORPG work on Windows and on Apple/MAC computers.

Apple/MAC users are very close knit. There is easily 1+ million of them who ARE gamers. Out of the close to 10 million WoW users, it's easy to make an educated guess and say easily 1 million of them are Apple/MAC users.

Something intresting : Did you know many Windows games are made on Apples/MACs? Strange isn't it?

• mk11232mk11232 Member Posts: 217

Well I may have misinterpreted your point but I do still disagree.  Even if there were 1 million Mac gamers, its a far cry to say all million play WoW.

• laleblaleb Member Posts: 215

First off just saying its frustrating im going to be getting a lot better comp and gonna have to mod it to play. I will still have 3 PC's to play on but would rather play on the new comp. So far it seems you have to wait 6 months before you can get a mac version. BTW thanks for the emulator idea might go and try that.

• LiquidvisonLiquidvison Member Posts: 112

lmao i cant belive people actually buy macs, most stuff dont even run on them and they are like the retarted cousin to the PC...just suck it up...stop trying to be dif and get a pc

• ElectricdawnElectricdawn Member Posts: 35

Oh yes, you're so right, that's why there's only millions and millions of them out there. Nobody uses them, and Apple is not one of the richest computer manufacturers out there...right...

I just think it's so funny when people absolutely have no clue, and have the nerve to say it out loud. ;)

yeah there is alot of apple cpu's out there and millions of them on the market but you failed to see my point, they are not ment for online gaming thats why not many games are compatible for both pc and mac...so if you are getting a cpu for gaming why pick one that has less games? now you see my point? i dont have anything aghaist mac users just the people who bitch becuase they cant find games for it...might wanna look into the system before you buy then realize there is nothing to play for it

• Chip194Chip194 Member Posts: 56

Apple started a revolution in the 1980's that's spiraled down hill since then.  Be proud, I guess.  It's a silly computer I haven't seen in operation in two decades.  I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Hm, funny that you say that. Why would a Mac NOT be made for online gaming? It has everything a Windows PC has (being that they now use almost the identical hardware), so why shouldn't it run all the games that a PC can?

And it actually can run those games, if you use Bootcamp. But I think that's not the point the OP was trying to make. We buy Macs for the OS, not (only) for their nice looks. And of course we would like the games to run under OS X as well. Because it is (IMHO) superior to Windows. But let's not argue about this. There's no point.

Game companies by large still don't understand just how many Mac users are out there. Except for Blizzard, that is. Why are they the only one? One reason might be that they hate Macs, but "hate" is a word that usually is not in the vocabulary of managers (except for Valve maybe). If it makes money than they will develop for it.

I think it's the same problem that game developers still don't see the a) adult market (people like me, which are at least 30 years old) and the b) women market. Most games are decidedly written for the male, adolescent market, leaving out literally millions of potential players (quite a few of them Mac owners.)

This needs to change. Will it ever? I don't know.

• Chip194Chip194 Member Posts: 56

"Something intresting : Did you know many Windows games are made on Apples/MACs? Strange isn't it?"

And every MAC needs an emulator to play PC games, it is strange, isnt it?

not argueing bro and i understand alot of people like the OS of macs better, but the OS of mac and PC are so dif that they cant make all games able to play on both...so they are gonna choose the more dominate system...imho they need to join together and make a cpu that has the best of both

Originally posted by Chip194

"Something intresting : Did you know many Windows games are made on Apples/MACs? Strange isn't it?"
    And every MAC needs an emulator to play PC games, it is strange, isnt it?

Hm, my Mac doesn't need one, strange isn't it?

well ive never used a mac or actually seen one operated so you guys lost me there lol

Originally posted by Liquidvison

not argueing bro and i understand alot of people like the OS of macs better, but the OS of mac and PC are so dif that they cant make all games able to play on both...so they are gonna choose the more dominate system...imho they need to join together and make a cpu that has the best of both

Actually, we now have EVE on the Mac (sadly with out the Trinity high resolution graphics package, can't see why), thanks to Transgaming's technology that allows Windows games to be run under a wrapper that routes system calls to the Mac OS.

Not the most perfect solution, but it works. There is a folder called "c_drive" in the EVE package. And when you look inside it, you can see a "Program Files" folder with EVE in it and other assorted stuff. So, obviously there is an easy way of getting games on the Mac, maybe the WAR guys will see the light eventually as well. Who knows?

They should make war able to use both OS of mac and pc, more people who play the more i can kill :P, now just the long wait for war...rumors say it will be out in june but some say maby before...either way im goin crazy atm...nothin good to play